Page 136 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast
Results 3,376 to 3,400 of 3856

Thread: SPPF Christian Alliance

  1. #3376
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyberg.Brandon View Post
    Evolution in pokemon is completly different than the theory of evolution, darwin's theory sais that evolution is one species evolving to another species. In pokemon they don't really "evolve" Firstly its the same being just changing forms. (ex. Bulbasaur evolving to Ivysaur, still same old Bulbasaur must reamped) Second im pretty sure devolving is not in the theory. Which is what happen's when you breed.

    But ya there are some very conservative Christians in the church, which isn't necessaarily a bad thing. But it can hurt the church's image. Especially the ones who look down on unbelievers. Ive seen countless people hate on christians for that. Then they meet me and there like oh I guess christians arnt so bad. It's like some christians skip corinthians 13, if i dont have love im a resounding gong or a clanging cymbol. Jesus is all that seporates us from them.

    Would you take that as my application to join the clup.
    I understand where you're coming from. But--and I am not making this up--I once met a kid who used to get ridiculously powerful lv. 100 legendaries, then go to route 1, encounter like a wild lv 2 patrat, then use like hyper beam or something just to see how fast he could get its hp bar to go down. But it's still a game. Is this cruelty? Against Christian theology?


    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2dqo1e.png[/img]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Total clan wins: 25

        Spoiler:- Credit:

  2. #3377
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    That house in Dewford
    Posts
    1,415

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimungus View Post
    Like the psychic types, the only reason they're associated with that word is because the Pokemon are born with some kind of mental sensitivity or have a high IQ, so they're not like real-world psychics. At least, that's my take on things!
    I would like to post to express general agreement with this, and the several other statements on things some Christians have found fault with in Pokémon. I would like to add something to this one, though. I believe it depends entirely upon what one means by the word "psychic." The word "psychic" can be used in lots of contexts, and basically means "of or pertaining to the mind. I highly doubt that sci-fi mind powers like in Pokémon actually exist, but in the fiction, just about all of them are supposed to be mind powers, not supernatural, being-in-league-with-the-devil type powers. Only one definition of "psychic" is "medium." I am inclined to believe this is a modern departure from the original usage. I think some fortunetellers started applying the term "psychic" to themselves in order to appear credible as science gained more and more respect in our culture.



    Quote Originally Posted by Matoro View Post
    I understand where you're coming from. But--and I am not making this up--I once met a kid who used to get ridiculously powerful lv. 100 legendaries, then go to route 1, encounter like a wild lv 2 patrat, then use like hyper beam or something just to see how fast he could get its hp bar to go down. But it's still a game. Is this cruelty? Against Christian theology?
    If someone's doing this for the sake of overt cruelty, then it is probably wrong in some cases. However, if one has an attitude of "I think this might be funny only in a game; it would be wrong in real life," then that might provide some balance. I hesitate to say something like that is always wrong. For some reason I'm thinking of people who laugh at painful things that happen in funny videos, but wouldn't laugh at someone's pain in real life. Not sure if that last part made complete sense. :/
    Last edited by TheFightingPikachu; 17th February 2013 at 11:06 PM.

    Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

  3. #3378
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Wondering if I may gain admission into this club. Colt45 told me to try it out. I'm a non denominational Christian, have no reason to try and make you believe me as you should just take my word. Been a Christian for several years, have preached sermons at my church and public events, been to Acquire the Fire as a youth and as a chaperone for about 5 years straight, and always love a good debate as writing/speech is my forte.

  4. #3379
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Apartment 139
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Colt45 View Post
    Umm well, I didn't see a sign-up form, so I'm going to come right out and say it: can I join?

    I assure you I am a christian, I have had Jesus in my heart since a very young age, 4 years old to be exact.

    I go to church every sunday, and, though I don't always do it, I try to read the Bible every day.

    God bless!
    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Wondering if I may gain admission into this club. Colt45 told me to try it out. I'm a non denominational Christian, have no reason to try and make you believe me as you should just take my word. Been a Christian for several years, have preached sermons at my church and public events, been to Acquire the Fire as a youth and as a chaperone for about 5 years straight, and always love a good debate as writing/speech is my forte.

    Colt45, YamaskUnchained, the only thing we really require is to post saying that you're a Christian...and since you've both done that...

    Welcome to the SPFF Cristian Alliance! May you grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Saviour during your time here! We don't really have any topics of discussion going right now, but we're open to suggestions.
    But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.
    Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."
    See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:13-15)



        Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

  5. #3380
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Having non-believer friends. Whats the general opinion of that on here? The bible clearly states not to hang out with anyone who is wordly as they can taint you and your relationship with God. Comparative to hanging out with the snake from the Bible. What do you do?

  6. #3381
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    There's a verse in one of Paul's epistles which says "Bad company corrupts good character." - That's what you're referring to, right? I think it's in one of the Corinthians... Anyway, in my opinion, this verse warns against completely immersing ourselves in worldly things and letting other people influence us to do things that we know are wrong. Whether they're Christians or not. I don't think it's realistic for us to stay away from non-believers; if we have no friends who are non-believers, what hope do we have of showing them Jesus' love? And if somebody wants to be our friend (I know this is a simplified example), and we had to say to them: "Sorry, I can't - The Bible says I can't be friends with people who aren't Christians.", then I don't think Christians would be seen as loving - I think we would come off as thinking of ourselves as better than others, and I think this would only push them away from Jesus. I think we can be friends with non-believers, but we shouldn't let them influence us to sin, basically.

    That's what I think, anyway. Sorry if I'm not thinking of the right verse.

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    "For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

    My Animelist


  7. #3382
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Yeah that is the verse. I do agree, my view is that as long as I don't corrupt myself with worldly things I should be allowed to have any friends I would like (other than the obvious like criminals, satanists and such). I feel the same about drinking which is frowned upon by the church, but not spoken against in the bible.


  8. #3383
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Apartment 139
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Seeing as I found two pennies yesterday, I can add my two cents to this conversation!

    To sum up my view, let me point you to an article on the subject of whether Christians should have friends who are non-believers. (You can find the article here).

    We are called to be holy because the Lord is holy. (1 Peter 1:16) We are not to be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:1). Furthermore, we are told to keep our thoughts pure (Philippians 4:8). The biggest concern I have over being close friends with someone who is not a believer is that it is very easy for a Christian to be dragged down and fall into sin, compromise her/his beliefs, or even be influenced to doubt the Lord. Seeing how easy it is for us to slip, I would say that extreme caution should be exercised in this matter. Also, much prayer should go into such decisions.

    Let me give you a personal testimony. Ever since I started college a few years back, I had to be subjected to a lot more foul language than I was previously used to. Even though I'm not close friends with any such people, but the constant influence has made it so that I have more foul language floating around in my head than is good.

    When we spend time around worldly people, it affects our walk with the Lord.



    And on the topic of drinking, the Bible does speak on it. Let it be noted that the what the Bible prohibits is drunkenness. (Ephesians 5:18) The Bible does not condemn the use of alcohol. In fact, Paul told Timothy to use a little wine for the sake of his stomach (1 Timothy 5:23). That being said, drinking alcohol is another area to exercise caution in because it is quite easy to get carried away. For further reference on the topic, I would point you to this article.
    But all things that are exposed are made manifest by the light, for whatever makes manifest is light.
    Therefore He says: "Awake, you who sleep, Arise from the dead, And Christ will give you light."
    See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil. (Ephesians 5:13-15)



        Spoiler:- Friend Codes:

  9. #3384
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ShinySandshrew View Post
    Seeing as I found two pennies yesterday, I can add my two cents to this conversation!

    To sum up my view, let me point you to an article on the subject of whether Christians should have friends who are non-believers. (You can find the article here).

    We are called to be holy because the Lord is holy. (1 Peter 1:16) We are not to be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:1). Furthermore, we are told to keep our thoughts pure (Philippians 4:8). The biggest concern I have over being close friends with someone who is not a believer is that it is very easy for a Christian to be dragged down and fall into sin, compromise her/his beliefs, or even be influenced to doubt the Lord. Seeing how easy it is for us to slip, I would say that extreme caution should be exercised in this matter. Also, much prayer should go into such decisions.

    Let me give you a personal testimony. Ever since I started college a few years back, I had to be subjected to a lot more foul language than I was previously used to. Even though I'm not close friends with any such people, but the constant influence has made it so that I have more foul language floating around in my head than is good.

    When we spend time around worldly people, it affects our walk with the Lord.



    And on the topic of drinking, the Bible does speak on it. Let it be noted that the what the Bible prohibits is drunkenness. (Ephesians 5:18) The Bible does not condemn the use of alcohol. In fact, Paul told Timothy to use a little wine for the sake of his stomach (1 Timothy 5:23). That being said, drinking alcohol is another area to exercise caution in because it is quite easy to get carried away. For further reference on the topic, I would point you to this article.

    I said "spoken AGAINST". I knew it mentioned against drunkenness. The your body is a temple verse also speaks levels about that. I strongly disagree that it is "easy for a christian to be pulled down", it makes Christians sound like such weak minded people who don't have any will power. I have nothing but non-believer friends right now where I am after I moved because just as much as I dislike people who feel the need to be so outrageous and "cool", I dislike preachy, brooding Christians. I don't fall into any of this junk or find myself slipping or anything. I have will power. This isn't a jab at you, but there's a reason people think of Christians as naive and feeble minded, they all think that if they talk to someone who doesn't believe in God for more than a half hour they're going to become an alcoholic.


  10. #3385
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Myrmidon Sanctuary
    Posts
    653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YamaskUnchained View Post
    Having non-believer friends. Whats the general opinion of that on here? The bible clearly states not to hang out with anyone who is wordly as they can taint you and your relationship with God. Comparative to hanging out with the snake from the Bible. What do you do?
    When I was in High School, my best friend was an atheist (sadly, she seems to have vanished after High School. No one knows where she is--not even her family. I am quite worried).

    The best advice I can give, especially if they are atheist, is place a "Friend-rule" of "Please don't mock what I believe, and I will not mock what you believe. Let me believe as I wish, and I will let you believe as you wish". It worked for us, but that was...almost ten years ago (2005). Remain strong in your faith and spend each day in God's word. They cannot influence you if you do not let them.

    In another note, I had a strange dream that I don't think would work anywhere else on this site (as it has strong Christian over-tones and, for the most part, the rest of this site is non-religious).

    In the dream, I was alone in this diner. It looked to be out west somewhere, because everything was dry and dead with no trees (like Arizona or Nevada or something. I live in Kentucky--pictures of those places always look dead to me). There was an old television sitting on the counter playing this commercial for these strange pills or candies. They were pink and about the size of a jelly bean (though they were more lozenge-shaped, like a pill) and were kept inside what looked like a pink PEZ dispenser. The commercial said: "Transgress against The Lord? No problem! Just take these--now in strawberry--and all your sins will be forgiven! Buy now!"

    I left the diner and traveled further west (I think, as the topography became more like a desert) until I came to a town. There were people running around committing all sorts of sins (rape, murder, all sorts of horrible things) and I had this weapon. I couldn't see it, or feel it, or even know what it was and when I would use it on those people, the PEZ dispenser thing would shatter. Some people seemed to "come to their senses" when the dispenser was shattered and I'd tell them to: "Run! Get far away, pray to God for forgiveness and become right with The Lord the right way--not through this quick fix!" and they would run away, back east. Some people, however, would fly into a rage when I would destroy the PEZ Dispenser thing and try to attack me and I would have to put them down. Again, I don't know what the weapon was--I couldn't see it or otherwise perceive it. It was a weird dream. Now, I don't have any delusions of grandeur and I know it was just a dream, but still--it was weird. What do you guys think?

    Also, sorry I've not been here--school has been very rough, especially since they took away my spring break.

    ~Nimh
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

  11. #3386
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    330

    Default

    I don't have time to make an intelligent comment on the question, but I must say that Nemmeh's dream is cool.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

  12. #3387
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Sorry to bring this up again but another quick question revolving around Christianity and Pokemon. How do you guys feel about the channelers and mediums from the first and second generations and the hex maniacs (called occult maniacs in japan) from the third generation? Thank you!
    Last edited by Chimungus; 8th March 2013 at 11:59 PM.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

  13. #3388
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chimungus View Post
    Sorry to bring this up again but another quick question revolving around Christianity and Pokemon. How do you guys feel about the channelers and mediums from the first and second generations and the hex maniacs (called occult maniacs in japan) from the third generation? Thank you!
    Doesn't really bother me - you meet all sorts of people in real life, and in Pokemon as well. They don't make you do anything, and the aim of the game isn't occult, either. That's pretty much what I think...

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    "For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

    My Animelist


  14. #3389
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    323

    Default

    Yea that's exactly what I thought, too.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

  15. #3390
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    268

    Default

    So what exactly counts as a Christian? Though I believe in Yashua(Jesus), I disagree with most of Paul's doctrines. The only parts of the Bible I believe are infallible are the words of Yashua and the Revelation to John. However, I believe most of the Bible-the main exceptions are the works of Paul and the book of Hebrews. I accept the Aprocryphal books of Jasher and Baruch, because they have been referenced by Samuel and Isaiah.

    I do not believe faith has an iota of importance concerning judgement, that baptism is being "born again", or that one must be a Christian to be saved.

    Do I count as a Christian? If so, I'd like to join.

  16. #3391
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    This is just how I see it, and I hope you won't take any offence:

    I think that a Christian is somebody who believes that Jesus paid the price for our sins, and that accepts His sacrifice for their own sins and who receive His gift. Somebody who knows that there is nothing we can do to be saved ourselves. "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God"; "The wages of sin is death". In order to have eternal life, we must accept Jesus as our sacrifice.

    Please don't be offended - this is just what I think the definition of a Christian is - it's not up to me to say whether you can join or not, though

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    "For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

    My Animelist


  17. #3392
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    268

    Default

    ^My belief is that it was a spiritual sacrifice. Yahshua's body died, yes, but his physical body wasn't remarkable. At his death, he underwent a spiritual separation from God, atoning for the spirits of humans. The physical part of us still needs atoning for, and can be atoned for in numerous ways, such as animal sacrifices, good works, or divine removal (such as in Isaiah).

    I take my belief from the words of Yahshua:

    Mattew 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." [the passing away of heaven and earth]

    My beliefs are:
        Spoiler:


    I know I don't share the beliefs of most Christians, but if the definition of "Christian" is "follower of Yahshua," then wouldn't I qualify? .__.

  18. #3393
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by greatguy View Post
    ^My belief is that it was a spiritual sacrifice. Yahshua's body died, yes, but his physical body wasn't remarkable. At his death, he underwent a spiritual separation from God, atoning for the spirits of humans. The physical part of us still needs atoning for, and can be atoned for in numerous ways, such as animal sacrifices, good works, or divine removal (such as in Isaiah).

    I take my belief from the words of Yahshua:

    Mattew 5:18 "For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." [the passing away of heaven and earth]

    My beliefs are:
        Spoiler:


    I know I don't share the beliefs of most Christians, but if the definition of "Christian" is "follower of Yahshua," then wouldn't I qualify? .__.
    I don't know what the standards are for this club - I think you're probably allowed in, but I was just posting what I thought the definition of a Christian was.

    † I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†


    "For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

    My Animelist


  19. #3394
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    My Father's home
    Posts
    660

    Default

    Happy Friday :) Happy Good Friday :D

  20. #3395
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Out in the 'Verse
    Posts
    1,249

    Default

    Happy Easter everyone!

  21. #3396
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I would like to join this alliance!

    Did anyone join Simulcast by David Platt last Friday?

    I did. It was on Heaven, Helland the End of the World.

    It was very interesting and Platt sure did speak fast.

  22. #3397
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    268

    Default

    ^Nope. I've always tried to steer clear of evangelical superstars-they give me a sense of 'wrongness,' I guess (though now I have theological issues with them as well). Possibly, it's because they're usually arrogant, angry, or stupid.

    So, like, what do we do here anyway? Discuss theology? Interpretation of dreams? *nudges Nemmeh's post*

    Myself, I would view the dream-if it was prophetic-like this:

    The desert represented religon in general-lacking in truth for the most part, but with towns that could be considered oases. The pills represent the doctrine of salvation through faith. It sells well, which is why it was seen on TV. The doctrine is a source of comfort to Christians, who tend to believe that as long as they believe in Jesus, they will be saved, so they can commit whatever sins they want-rape, murder, and the like. In the same way many Christians act when told they're wrong, they get angry and attack-in the dream, physically, not verbally. The fact that you're the one wielding the weapon is the strange part. If you saw an angel, or perhaps even God with the weapon, it would be understandable. If you are the person destroying the vials, though, it could be that you're meant to destroy the salvation-through-faith doctrine, or Pauline Christianity in general.

    I can't come up with any other interpretations, not even mine being reversed, as anyone holding my views would have faith anyway, and it's a harder view to hold, not an easier one. Any other suggestions?

  23. #3398
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I normally agree with you about Evangelical superstars but the way David Platt presented himself was different then most of them and he even brought out theories he disagrees with just to make sure people knew about them.

  24. #3399
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas, United States
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Hmm. I don't actually know him, but it seems as if he's a little "worldly," I guess. He's not desperate for attention, but...Ugh, I don't know what it is.

    His books don't seem to be anything special. Apparently Radical is well known, but it doesn't appear to be anything that hasn't been stated in ten other books. I haven't read it though, so feel free to contradict me .__.

  25. #3400
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    101

    Default

    This thread seems to be dropping away, so I'll spice it up with a question!

    How much did Jesus know, and when?

    I've seen movies where it was like revealed to him, and movies where he knew it all along as a kid. But did 5-year-old Jesus know what an awful death he was going to have to endure? Or did he find out as he went along? Did he figure it out on his own?


    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2dqo1e.png[/img]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Total clan wins: 25

        Spoiler:- Credit:

Page 136 of 155 FirstFirst ... 3686126132133134135136137138139140146 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •