Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154
Results 3,826 to 3,849 of 3849

Thread: SPPF Christian Alliance

^Praying for you Nemmeh - you seem to be going through a lot right now. Stay strong and lean on the Lord.

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Got a call from my doctor today. It wasn't cancer! I mean, it's kind of a bummer that I had to have a mole I've had all my life and sort of liked (as weird as that sounds) cut off and am in a lot of pain, but at least I don't have skin-cancer. I know how dangerous that can be because my mom has it really badly. She gets them cut off and twice as many grow back. I worry about her a lot.
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

^Better to be safe than sorry, but I'm glad it wasn't cancer! And, don't worry, I know what you mean about liking your mole xD

† I am a Christian, and not ashamed to admit it! Copy and paste this if you are too.†

"For God so loveth the world, that he hath given his only son, that none that believe in him, should perish: but should have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

My Animelist

Don't know why, but lately I've really been feeling like I need to go to church again, so I'm going to.

So, I'm going to try out a new church tonight. Night Service works best for me and so does a small, non-denominational church. Found one that's exactly 16 minutes from its front-door to my front door on foot. Service starts at 6pm (my time).

Wish me luck!
    I will be on here very, very rarely. The account is not dead, per se, but I will not be on often. This has become a den of hatred, hostility, and anger. It is not the SPPF it was when I joined, and I really dislike coming here. To those of you who were nice to me and were my friend, thank you. Goodbye.
    3DS FC: 1950 7837 2016
    Name: Nicole
    Electric Friend Safari. Pokemon: Dedenne, Pikachu, Manectric
    Before you try to act superior to someone else on here, remember that no matter how much of an "internet cool-guy" you think you are, this is a Pokemon forum.

Quote Originally Posted by NimhShambler View Post
    Don't know why, but lately I've really been feeling like I need to go to church again, so I'm going to.

So, I'm going to try out a new church tonight. Night Service works best for me and so does a small, non-denominational church. Found one that's exactly 16 minutes from its front-door to my front door on foot. Service starts at 6pm (my time).

Wish me luck!
    Best of luck, Nemmeh! I'm happy that you're going to church I go every week, for I've found that, as Thomas a Kempis says in The Imitation of Christ, the best way to God is by attending church and receiving Holy Communion.

Speaking of The Imitation of Christ, and since we have no current topic, I suppose I'll go ahead and make a new one!

Other than the Bible, what is your favorite religious piece of literature? And if you've only read the Bible, what book/chapter/verse?
    My favorite work of literature is The Story of a Soul, the autobiography of St. Therese of Lisieux. The way she thinks is so simple, yet everything she did was so full of love and so good. It was this work, more than anything, that inspired me to come and try to get as close to God as I could. It helped me to learn to see Him as the benevolent Father and all-forgiving, all-loving Being who will never forsake us or abandon us no matter what we do. It really was very comforting.

I also like The Imitation of Christ. This put me on the other end of the spectrum; rather than comforting me, it disturbed me as Thomas a Kempis wrote of what it required to get to Heaven and to imitate Christ fully. What I found most distressing was when he said that, "You cannot have two heavens--that is to say, you cannot have joy and delight here, and also joy afterwards with Christ in heaven." It took a while of contemplation (and reading the rest of the book) for me to accept this, for I cannot deny that my life is comfortable and I am happy with the way that I live. But now I do see what he means; if Heaven is really to be the ultimate joy and paradise for us, why would be content in this life, so far away from God? I can't explain fully what I mean, but I have come to accept what he has said; I just need to be able to carry it out (which I often can't).

And from the Bible, I would have to say that my favorite verse is Matthew 28:20, when Jesus says "And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." I just found this so comforting, since it's straightforward and is true to what it says. Though I've only read a few books of the bible, I've found the book of Samuel 1 pretty interesting; at least it's not like Numbers or Deuteronomy, which were harder to get through.

Check out my fic, Drowning.
    Cye of the Torrent is my bishie.
    Credit to 00swms for the beautiful banner!

I haven't really read any religious literature except for one book which my great aunt gave me on my baptism called The Other Wise Man. I found the language a bit challenging to get on with, but I may give it another go one day

As for my favourite verse, it would have to be Philippians 4:16. I get anxious a lot, so this verse is a great comfort to me

My Animelist

I have a question about something that's been bugging me, and something that a lot of Christians share different opinions on. Is combat in games that is not graphically violent at all (Pokemon, super smash bros, can't really name another) unchristian? I'm confused about this because I've never had a problem with it and thought of it only as competition, but I've read a lot of articles saying that any combat sports are evil and violent because you hurt each other. Does this apply to games like Pokemon? Thanks!
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Quote Originally Posted by Chimungus View Post
    I have a question about something that's been bugging me, and something that a lot of Christians share different opinions on. Is combat in games that is not graphically violent at all (Pokemon, super smash bros, can't really name another) unchristian? I'm confused about this because I've never had a problem with it and thought of it only as competition, but I've read a lot of articles saying that any combat sports are evil and violent because you hurt each other. Does this apply to games like Pokemon? Thanks!
    One of the key things to remember in this situation would be the verse about meat offered to idols, I think. In grey areas, what offends some people's faith is okay for others - it depends on whether the Holy Spirit convicts you or not. I don't think there's much entertainment (films, games etc.) which is completely free of any concepts or aspects that a Christian could find offensive - that is, I think you could probably pick apart almost anything and call it evil from a Christian perspective if you look hard enough. Personally, I don't agree that combat sports are evil (the less violent ones, at least), as the intention is often not to beat your opponent to a pulp - it could be to learn self-defence or discipline, or learning to control your own movement, or just to stay fit in general. I remember reading somewhere (official, I think) that Pokemon enjoy fighting - it's just like friendly competition. To be honest, though, I don't really read that much into it - I just enjoy the games. There is a lot of focus on positive traits such as friendship, trust, justice etc., too. I think the main problem from Pokemon could be that it could become an idol - but I think that would be the extent of it.

Hope that was helpful

My Animelist

Quote Originally Posted by Roseheart95 View Post
    One of the key things to remember in this situation would be the verse about meat offered to idols, I think. In grey areas, what offends some people's faith is okay for others - it depends on whether the Holy Spirit convicts you or not. I don't think there's much entertainment (films, games etc.) which is completely free of any concepts or aspects that a Christian could find offensive - that is, I think you could probably pick apart almost anything and call it evil from a Christian perspective if you look hard enough. Personally, I don't agree that combat sports are evil (the less violent ones, at least), as the intention is often not to beat your opponent to a pulp - it could be to learn self-defence or discipline, or learning to control your own movement, or just to stay fit in general. I remember reading somewhere (official, I think) that Pokemon enjoy fighting - it's just like friendly competition. To be honest, though, I don't really read that much into it - I just enjoy the games. There is a lot of focus on positive traits such as friendship, trust, justice etc., too. I think the main problem from Pokemon could be that it could become an idol - but I think that would be the extent of it.

Hope that was helpful
    You summed up exactly what my thoughts were. Thanks!
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

Well, you have to remember that violence in our entertainment is entirely fictitious (well, except for UFC and such), no matter how grisly it may appear. Even the violence in stories that are based on real events are fake because they're simply reenactments. It really all just depends on you. If the violence offends you or somehow affects your walk with God, they you do what steps you deem necessary to reduce your exposure to it, or completely remove the source of the violence from your life, and return your focus to God.

Quote Originally Posted by Dread Advocate View Post
    Well, you have to remember that violence in our entertainment is entirely fictitious (well, except for UFC and such), no matter how grisly it may appear. Even the violence in stories that are based on real events are fake because they're simply reenactments. It really all just depends on you. If the violence offends you or somehow affects your walk with God, they you do what steps you deem necessary to reduce your exposure to it, or completely remove the source of the violence from your life, and return your focus to God.
    I was mostly talking about Pokemon, because nothing else I'm interested in is remotely violent, but I don't have a problem with the series, it just seems that so many people do and it can get a little annoying, especially because of all the great values and such.

The thing to remember is that it's just a game. In a video game, you're not actually hurting or killing anything real, it's all virtual. Your enemies are simply AI developed by a programmer given the appearance of a fictional person or creature. And if you're playing a multiplayer game online, think of it as a simple, competitive game.

Competitive sports can be fun and friendly, but those that take it to a level where you're physically hurting other people outside of the games rules are committing an act of sin. Sure, everyone wants to win, but the point is not to play too aggressively where you turn a game into a reason to fight.

Hmm. There's a lot I could say on the current topic. First, I would argue that it is not possible to label all real-world combat evil or sinful. There are several arguments in support of this conclusion, among them the fact that the Scriptures as a whole do not say this. There are numerous Scriptural statements which indicate that people in authority can--and at times should--use force to protect their people. This can mean law enforcement (as in Romans 13:1-4), or war (as in various passages, especially in the Old Testament). Also, even if defending oneself were banned in Scripture (a conclusion I do not think can be drawn), it is certainly honorable to engage in combat to defend others.

Second, there is the simple fact, as others have mentioned, that there is a difference between actual combat and combat that is virtual. I certainly would not be one to say that everything involving criminal actions is fine in a virtual setting, but if I played a game where I get to be a ridiculous, mad scientist who unleashes dangerous, mutant ducks on the populace, I think we can safely say that such a situation is so hilariously removed from reality that it is not inherently sinful!

(Just a note, I don't know of any game where one plays as a ridiculous mad scientist who unleashes dangerous mutant ducks on the populace. Still, I gotta say, QUACK!)

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

I've got a big prayer request. I've got a job interview for Chick-Fil-A on Tuesday, and I'm really starting to stress out. I know it's only fast food, and thus my chances of getting the job are relatively high, despite a complete lack of experience, but I'm previewing interview questions, and it's really starting to get to me. The biggest thing that's bothering me is I'm starting to realize that pretty much all of our society is built on lying, and how much I'm going to have to lie if I want to survive. I'm almost like a Vulcan in that I can't lie. I could, but I'm awful at it. My girlfriend has been extremely helpful in preparing me for this, but she can't get the job for me. So I need you guys to pray that I don't break down into a panic attack tonight, tomorrow, or during the interview.
    Last edited by Dread Advocate; 16th June 2014 at 12:22 AM.

Something that kind of has always confused me about the series is do Pokemon get hurt when they battle? Because potions say they are to heal wounds and it makes it sound more serious than the series ever shows. Like it battling actually really painful or just exhausting?

Praying for you, Dread.

Something that kind of has always confused me about the series is do Pokemon get hurt when they battle? Because potions say they are to heal wounds and it makes it sound more serious than the series ever shows. Like it battling actually really painful or just exhausting?
    I don't think that's ever established, really, and is left up to interpretation. It couldn't be that bad, though, if the Pokemon Centres can heal your Pokemon so quickly.

My Animelist

I've got a big prayer request. I've got a job interview for Chick-Fil-A on Tuesday, and I'm really starting to stress out. I know it's only fast food, and thus my chances of getting the job are relatively high, despite a complete lack of experience, but I'm previewing interview questions, and it's really starting to get to me. The biggest thing that's bothering me is I'm starting to realize that pretty much all of our society is built on lying, and how much I'm going to have to lie if I want to survive. I'm almost like a Vulcan in that I can't lie. I could, but I'm awful at it. My girlfriend has been extremely helpful in preparing me for this, but she can't get the job for me. So I need you guys to pray that I don't break down into a panic attack tonight, tomorrow, or during the interview.
    I'm honestly not sure you need to lie. At all. In fact, I seriously argue against it, especially given the Scriptural admonitions to honesty.

Can you explain what sort of things seem to show lying as a necessity? I am having doubts that Chick-fil-A is an employer that would pressure its employees to lie about something.

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    I'm honestly not sure you need to lie. At all. In fact, I seriously argue against it, especially given the Scriptural admonitions to honesty.

Can you explain what sort of things seem to show lying as a necessity? I am having doubts that Chick-fil-A is an employer that would pressure its employees to lie about something.
    It's not Chick-fil-A that's pressuring me to lie. It's the business world in general. For example, during an interview, you'll be asked, "What is your greatest weakness?" My honest answer would be my lack of experience, because I've never had a job. I can turn that into a positive by emphasizing my willingness to learn and acquire the skills and experience needed for the job and then some. And I wouldn't be lying by emphasizing that willingness. The lie would be "I wasn't always organized." However, it's not an entire lie. I am slightly disorganized, always have been. Am I more organized today than I was a decade ago? Absolutely. But I'm still disorganized. And I see the bending of that truth to still be a lie.

My girlfriend's helped me out a lot today by going through mock interviews with me, and she gave me a pep talk a few minutes ago. My confidence is higher than it was yesterday, and my stress levels are lower. But I'm still nervous.

EDIT: I just got back from the interview, and I did really well. I didn't have a nervous breakdown in the middle, and, compared to the rest of the applicants, I stand a good chance of getting the job. They'll call me on Friday and let me know.
    Last edited by Dread Advocate; 17th June 2014 at 3:10 PM.

^That's good to hear, Dead Praying you'll get the job...

My Animelist

Haven't heard from Chick-fil-A at all. I'm going to call them tomorrow after VBS.

However, my girlfriend got saved today! She's been coming with me to my church for a few weeks now and has been saying that she realizes she was a Christian, only one of the mouth. Last night while we were talking on Skype, she said that she seriously hopes that God calls on her soon. And that's exactly what happened today! She said at lunch that she feels a lot happier than she has in years. I'm so happy for her.

However, my girlfriend got saved today! She's been coming with me to my church for a few weeks now and has been saying that she realizes she was a Christian, only one of the mouth. Last night while we were talking on Skype, she said that she seriously hopes that God calls on her soon. And that's exactly what happened today! She said at lunch that she feels a lot happier than she has in years. I'm so happy for her.
    I know I'm not as active a member in this club as I used to be, but this just makes me really happy to hear. There was definitely some rejoicing going on in the heavenlies. And I'm sure you were an excellent role model in your faith to guide her. Congrats, man! God is good.

[Anime Style Battling Squad]
    3DS FC: 1693-0754-4014
    Formerly known as Voltaic

Great to hear, Dread!
    Hopefully you'll have gotten that job, as well.

My Animelist

I called Chick-fil-A this afternoon, and they said that they've had to temporarily slow down on their hiring process. A call was supposed to have gone out to all of the recent applicants, but I didn't get it. The manager I spoke with said they'll resume hiring early next month, and will let me know some time next week.

At least it's not a no. Continuing to pray for you.

My Animelist

Page 154 of 154 FirstFirst ... 54104144150151152153154