Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your best Double Battle strategy?

Stat Boosting can work. Especially if you can sleep the bigger threat to your stat booster or use the move follow me.

Calm Mind from a Mixed Tank has worked wonders in my previous doubles matches.
    Name: Matty FC: 4425 3875 4866
    Can offer all starters, Phione as well being able to breed other. Also I am offering a Ranger Manaphy, Kygore, Gourden, Celebi, a few Uxie and Azelf as well Regi Trio

Looking for TMs (61, 51, 76, 86 and 26 in particular, mostly for starters and other bred pokes). Also looking for an Impish Jirarchi.

Quote Originally Posted by zm_ View Post
    Stat Boosting can work. Especially if you can sleep the bigger threat to your stat booster or use the move follow me.

Calm Mind from a Mixed Tank has worked wonders in my previous doubles matches.
    hmm i'll need to take you on again then later some time tonite, but usaully people would use moves that will hit all pokemon in double battles.

Rain Dance teams are also annoying in double battles
    My Black F/C: 3353 7681 7071

I like to be the Fire that surrounds Darkness

manaphy@ damp rock and
    rest
    rain dance
    acid armor
    heart swap

dewgong@???
    rest
    ice beam
    ???
    ???
    sorry i don't rember much of dewgongs moves or item but dewgong was a sweeper
    My amazing event darkrai
    On my first SR I got 31 Sp Atk ivs and 29 speed ivs with a Timid Nature.

This is good, we're getting excellent tips here on how to base your teams. Yes, Boomguy has brought up one of the most effective ways to win a double battle: use a weather changing team. You can use something such as the commonly used Rain Dance combos to a Hail team. This allows both your pokemon to benefit from a single move, give you a huge advantage over your enemies. I do have a question now and am wondering if anyone here can help, I'm trying to use a Punchggron and am looking for a way to eliminate his x4 weakness to fighting (besides a chople berry). Does anyone have any suggestions?

Maybe transfer a skill swap from Rhyperior (solid rock) over to Aggron using a middle man such as Bronzong.
    Can offer all starters, Phione as well being able to breed other. Also I am offering a Ranger Manaphy, Kygore, Gourden, Celebi, a few Uxie and Azelf as well Regi Trio

Looking for TMs (61, 51, 76, 86 and 26 in particular, mostly for starters and other bred pokes). Also looking for an Impish Jirarchi.

Maybe transfer a skill swap from Rhyperior (solid rock) over to Aggron using a middle man such as Bronzong.
    I'm already using Claydol/Bronzong to switch out Punchggron's ability for Levitate so it doesn't take any damage from ground (then with Claydol i use Power Swap and Earthquake, lol!). I had thought of your idea already, but i realized that Earthquake is far more common than fighting moves all put together. My back up is to simply ignore it since the only two moves i really have to be worried about getting FRKO'd by is Aura Sphere and Focus Blast, since Focus Blast isn't too common either and Aura Sphere is only used by Lucario (and i take him out on round two since my Punchggron will be faster with Trick Room), so it's not a huge threat. I still have backups. Thanks for the idea tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys29 View Post
    This is good, we're getting excellent tips here on how to base your teams. Yes, Boomguy has brought up one of the most effective ways to win a double battle: use a weather changing team. You can use something such as the commonly used Rain Dance combos to a Hail team. This allows both your pokemon to benefit from a single move, give you a huge advantage over your enemies. I do have a question now and am wondering if anyone here can help, I'm trying to use a Punchggron and am looking for a way to eliminate his x4 weakness to fighting (besides a chople berry). Does anyone have any suggestions?
    Easy use Follow Me from a Togekiss to stop those fighting moves hitting Aggron, there is no such fighting move to hit 2 pokemon at once.

I hate seeing a Surfing Swift Swimmer, Water Absorb combo. When i see those rain dance teams i make sure i have pokemon that can paralysis them

There are many strategies I've thought of but few that I've actually used because of my laziness. The best one I've used so far is the Water Absorb + Surf Combo.
    3DS Friend Code: 0748-2535-5552
    Feel free to pm me your friend code and add me, hoping for more pokemon in Friend Safari

Metagross has bullet punch to deal with Weaville and to some extent Zam.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomguy View Post
    Easy use Follow Me from a Togekiss to stop those fighting moves hitting Aggron, there is no such fighting move to hit 2 pokemon at once.

I hate seeing a Surfing Swift Swimmer, Water Absorb combo. When i see those rain dance teams i make sure i have pokemon that can paralysis them
    oh, that is a smart move! I'm afraid that Togekiss would get take out quickly tho... I will save this stat. if I find the Punchggron to be useful (i already have a team up for rating, in ratings section). Thnx

Quote Originally Posted by PsychicsRox View Post
    There are many strategies I've thought of but few that I've actually used because of my laziness. The best one I've used so far is the Water Absorb + Surf Combo.
    Worked to death. Course it works, so it's easy to see coming.

Quote Originally Posted by kinder suprise View Post
    Metagross has bullet punch to deal with Weaville and to some extent Zam.
    Feel dumb but don't know who Zam is. Good suggestion tho, I'll keep that in mind. I'm more worried about Lucario tho.

oh, that is a smart move! I'm afraid that Togekiss would get take out quickly tho... I will save this stat. if I find the Punchggron to be useful (i already have a team up for rating, in ratings section). Thnx
    just pump up Togekiss def. Unfortunatly the only pokemon that can use follow me are normal types and Togekiss and Togetic is the only 1 that doesn't have a weakness to fighting

Zam is Alakazam

Quote Originally Posted by Boomguy View Post
    just pump up Togekiss def. Unfortunatly the only pokemon that can use follow me are normal types and Togekiss and Togetic is the only 1 that doesn't have a weakness to fighting

Zam is Alakazam
    Yeah, and I just realized how good Togekiss is as a defender. Plus it can use Wish, so if it's really obvious they're gonna switch out to something that's gonna use one of the moves, I can prepare in advance (and i can team that up by giving Togekiss Leftovers and Punchggron Protect lol!)

i'll to see vids on how they gonna work out. Other than that your Aggron will only have a weakness to water which is really too common in double battles

He has thunderpunch, so he wipes the floor with Vaporeon, so I'm not too afraid of that. I have thought about that too tho. Thnx for the constant good advice.

If you had a Sunny Day Team, you could do Lava Plume and hit your Heatran with it, or in a Rain Dance team, Discharge and hit your Electivire to start a sweep. Or Jolteon to heal a lot. And you'd be firing STAB Thunders from those Pokemon.

He has thunderpunch, so he wipes the floor with Vaporeon, so I'm not too afraid of that. I have thought about that too tho. Thnx for the constant good advice.
    Thats gonna take 2 hits to down vaporeon coz its not a STAB attack

true... on that same turn tho i can have claydol earthquake which would finish it off. and since they're both trick roomed, they'd go first.

i'm not a double battle strategist but i battled doubles with a plain dragonite and a tank rhyperior that were able to give a nasty punch by both using earthquake.

sadly my wi-fi has been down for quite some time now so i have few chanses to improve with this, i'll be watching this thread.

Nope, it would go Aggron, Vaporeon (base 65 speed, assuming its still alive), Claydol (base 75 speed), and the opponents other poke (assuming its fast).

If you use trick room you might want to be wary of Rhyperior or Flygon as they laugh at Eathquake, and have decent defense to take a hit as well as having decent attack to hit back. Also Vaporeon Surf might make Aggron or Claydol cry.

edit: Anyone starting to this we make a doubles clan or league to make doubles battling more out there and competitive.

Flygon would go down in one Ice Punch, not worried about that. I was thinking of giving Claydol an Item that would slow it down but I haven't found any that would turn out to otherwise be useful. I know vappy poses a prob to my team. And if I see a Rhyp, I would switch out to my Slowking and Nasty Plot/Ice Beam the byatch.

Claydol - Lagging Tail

Also with Rhyperior switching to Slowking could be painful in that Megahorn that connects will hurt especially if they predict right. That or they kill you on the turn that you nasty plot. Its probably just easier to use Grass Knot on Rhyperior and targets its x4 weaknesses.

Also Yache Berry would reduce the damage of Ice Punch, not sure about stopping a OHKO, but you never know.

Another flaw in your gameplan is if you encounter two pokes that are quicker than you initially. A lead could potentially taunt your Claydol or put it to sleep or prey on one of its weaknesses such an ice beam.

Also no thoughts on a possible doubles league or clan :P.
    Last edited by zm_; 28th November 2008 at 4:31 PM.

Claydol - Lagging Tail

Also with Rhyperior switching to Slowking could be painful in that Megahorn that connects will hurt especially if they predict right. That or they kill you on the turn that you nasty plot. Its probably just easier to use Grass Knot on Rhyperior and targets its x4 weaknesses.

Also Yache Berry would reduce the damage of Ice Punch, not sure about stopping a OHKO, but you never know.

Another flaw in your gameplan is if you encounter two pokes that are quicker than you initially. A lead could potentially taunt your Claydol or put it to sleep or prey on one of its weaknesses such an ice beam.

Also not thoughts on a possible doubles league or clan :P.
    I don't know what you mean by 'not thoughts' but if you are suggesting a double battle league you have a huge supporter right here. BTW, I have a Bronzong in reserve, shoud I just open with him and do basically the same thing? (Trick Room, Skill Swap, then Hypnosis or Psychic and with these moves he can wear choice specs and not have to switch)

If we choice specs all he will do is use Trick Room over and over. Although you could choice band your Aggron so its a more physically defensive type of Slaking.

Also I would join that league but there is no way I am running that.

Yeah, that's true, tho I do need him to use Protect on his first move so he just blows off any attack and then I Trick Room it. Then he gets to attack, so Choice Band wouldn't really work for him.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast