Page 72 of 533 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 13312

Thread: ~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

  1. #1776
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLupineOne View Post
    Hmm...

    The Wiki Folk are classifying the 3DS as the first 8th Generation Video Game Console.
    Not according to the wiki page I'm looking at:

    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    Nintendo 3DS
    Manufacturer Nintendo
    Product family Nintendo 3DS
    Type Handheld game console
    Generation Seventh generation era
    Retail availability JP Fiscal Year 2011
    Media Nintendo DS Game Card
    Backward
    compatibility Nintendo DS (original and DSi)
    Predecessor Nintendo DSi XL
    And the link too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS

    Sorry x
    Last edited by Sweet Pinpuku; 23rd March 2010 at 8:45 PM.

  2. #1777
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]When the DSi first came out, it was announced as a successor to the DS - saying successor really doesn't mean anything in this respect, all it means is next step really, a redesign and, in my opinion, that's what the 3DS is - just another variation. And, it is a 3DS - still a DS! Oh and also, the DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL and Wii are all referred to as being a part of the "seventh generation of consoles" (at least, from what I've been reading anyways) and many news articles are saying that the 3DS is apart of this seventh generation.
    To me all this says that the 3DS is another redsign, like the DSi was to the DS and, coming on from that, these new Pokémon games could very well be for the 3DS.
    No, no, no, no. The 3DS is new technology. The DS Lite and DSi weren't. They used the same technology, granted the DSi has slightly more processing power.

    The 3DS is a new system unto itself, it has new tech to be used on a different type of media from the DS. Why do you find that so hard to understand?


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  3. #1778
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    People keep stressing this confirmed for DS point and it makes me wanna ask - does that mean it's not available on DSi? No. To me, DS, DSi and this new 3DS are all encompassed by the term "DS" as they all have it in their titles, meaning that when "they" say it's coming out for the DS, to me that says it will be available on all three.
    What "confirmed for the DS" means is that the game is being designed and released for the DS. The DSi can play DS games so it'll work. And if you read the page where the 3DS was announced, you'll know that it is compatible with DS games. (This doesn't mean gen 5 is for the 3DS, it means you can still play it there, possibly with new features like how RBY had color when played on the GBC) You can play Gold on the GBA, but does that mean it was a GBA game? No, it was released for the GBC. And saying that anything with DS in the name is the same is like saying the the Gameboy and the GBA Sp. were the same.

    Quote Originally Posted by ben_pokemon View Post
    Kinda makes me wonder if the two fifth gen games will be released on normal DS and the third game (like Crystal and Emerald) maybe on 3DS? Or will they use the system for the first time on the RS remakes, assuming if they ever happen?
    Unlikely that they'd release the third 5th gen game (if we have it) on the 3DS because the first two (or one) are for the DS and they've always released these trios for the same system. As for RS remakes, I dunno, they might release a game on 3DS before that, but then again, they mightn't.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    When the DSi first came out, it was announced as a successor to the DS - saying successor really doesn't mean anything in this respect, all it means is next step really, a redesign and, in my opinion, that's what the 3DS is - just another variation. And, it is a 3DS - still a DS! Oh and also, the DS, DSLite, DSi, DSiXL and Wii are all referred to as being a part of the "seventh generation of consoles" (at least, from what I've been reading anyways) and many news articles are saying that the 3DS is apart of this seventh generation.
    To me all this says that the 3DS is another redsign, like the DSi was to the DS and, coming on from that, these new Pokémon games could very well be for the 3DS.x
    The DSi was never said to be a successor console for the DS, it was an enhanced redesign with stuff like the cameras, larger screens and losing the GBA slot. In the same vein, the DS Lite wasn't a successor to the DS.

    The 3DS, though, is not a redesign, it's a new console like how the GBA followed the GBC. It's an upgrade which accomplishes things the DS line couldn't (the 3D part being one of them). So, once more, no, Gen 5 will not be for the 3DS because it has been announced by Nintendo that it's for the DS. You can play it on the 3DS, but the games aren't designed for it, the same way like the GBC and the GBA.

    As we wind on down the road~

  4. #1779
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    Why do you find that so hard to understand?
    The part where you didn't actually say any of that before that post so please forgive me for not understanding something you didn't actually say.
    Beyond the 3D thing, how do you know that 3DS will have any new features beyond what the DS/DSi have? The DSi added many new features onto the existing DS, who's to say that the 3DS won't do just the same and that the 3D nature of it is just one of those upgrades to existing technology?
    My point here is - nothing is confirmed, we don't know nothing beyond that it brings this 3D feature, so please do not squash speculation and my opinion without any real evidence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Indragon View Post
    What "confirmed for the DS" means is that the game is being designed and released for the DS. The DSi can play DS games so it'll work. And if you read the page where the 3DS was announced, you'll know that it is compatible with DS games. (This doesn't mean gen 5 is for the 3DS, it means you can still play it there, possibly with new features like how RBY had color when played on the GBC) You can play Gold on the GBA, but does that mean it was a GBA game? No, it was released for the GBC. And saying that anything with DS in the name is the same is like saying the the Gameboy and the GBA Sp. were the same.

    That is what I said in my first post responding to you - all three will be able to play the Gen5 games
    :

    Quote Originally Posted by me
    when "they" say it's coming out for the DS, to me that says it will be available on all three.


    I admit, I hadn't actually thought of the GB/GBA thing, an excellent point, but it doesn't change my opinion. I like your analogy of the regular GB to GBC, that is a better way of saying what I wanna say - to me, that is what the 3DS, an upgrade similar to the change from GB to GBC, so drastic yet so small.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indragon View Post
    Unlikely that they'd release the third 5th gen game (if we have it) on the 3DS because the first two (or one) are for the DS and they've always released these trios for the same system. As for RS remakes, I dunno, they might release a game on 3DS before that, but then again, they mightn't.
    Regardless, to release the two on the DS and then the upgraded version, the third on the 3DS with the enhancements that come with that would be much better when one considers that lack of real difference between Diamond and Platinum, you know?

    Quote Originally Posted by Indragon View Post
    The DSi was never said to be a successor console for the DS, it was an enhanced redesign with stuff like the cameras, larger screens and losing the GBA slot. In the same vein, the DS Lite wasn't a successor to the DS.
    I actually dug up some news articles using google and a lot of them basically ran along the lines of "DS successor announced", obviously meaning the DSi.

    Quote Originally Posted by Indragon View Post
    The 3DS, though, is not a redesign, it's a new console like how the GBA followed the GBC. It's an upgrade which accomplishes things the DS line couldn't (the 3D part being one of them). So, once more, no, Gen 5 will not be for the 3DS because it has been announced by Nintendo that it's for the DS. You can play it on the 3DS, but the games aren't designed for it, the same way like the GBC and the GBA.
    As said above, to me the 3DS is just another upgrade like the upgrade from Gameboy to Gameboy Colour, DS to DSi, that is just how it looks to me in this early stage. I do see your points and so think it could be a new system entirely as you say, I'm not a closed-minded person, but I won't deny the possibility that it may not be a new system and I think it is important that people don't get too far ahead themselves in this because, as said above, we really know nothing about this system and can only really guess and make observations and opinions - right now I firmly believe that no-one is right and no-one is wrong and, when it is confirmed as being one or the other, no-one will be faulted for believing what was wrong because, at the time, at this point in time, nothing is wrong in my opinion.

    I'm loving this discussion guys btw x

  5. #1780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    so please do not squash speculation and my opinion without any real evidence.
    Then don't give it without any real evidence. The only support you've given is "well this is what I think and my opinion can't be wrong", while everyone else has given you official announcement text, historical precedent and other nuggets of evidence and proof.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    I actually dug up some news articles using google and a lot of them basically ran along the lines of "DS successor announced", obviously meaning the DSi.
    News articles mean jack. They're written by writers and reporters. No one at Nintendo has ever called the DSi a "successor" to the DS, as you can tell just from the fact that the DS Lite was not discontinued when the DSi released. Nintendo themselves have only ever referred to the DSi as a companion to the DS Lite. This short press release is from Nintendo themselves and it specifically says "this will succeed the Nintendo DS".

    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    As said above, to me the 3DS is just another upgrade like the upgrade from Gameboy to Gameboy Colour
    And the Game Boy Color, despite only having one real advantage over the Game Boy - that being the color graphics - was still very much a new generation of hardware.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  6. #1781
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    The part where you didn't actually say any of that before that post so please forgive me for not understanding something you didn't actually say.
    I'm sorry I figured you had read the PR and weren't just pulling things out of your ***. My mistake.

    Beyond the 3D thing, how do you know that 3DS will have any new features beyond what the DS/DSi have?
    It might not have anything else. But it doesn't have significantly increased power, that's all it needs to make it a new console. Are you going to tell me the GBA is just another iteration of the GBC? I sure hope not.

    My point here is - nothing is confirmed, we don't know nothing beyond that it brings this 3D feature, so please do not squash speculation and my opinion without any real evidence.
    We have everything confirmed that we need to know this is a new console and not a new DS >.>


    I admit, I hadn't actually thought of the GB/GBA thing, an excellent point, but it doesn't change my opinion. I like your analogy of the regular GB to GBC, that is a better way of saying what I wanna say - to me, that is what the 3DS, an upgrade similar to the change from GB to GBC, so drastic yet so small.
    GB to GBC wasn't drastic. It accepted more colours, that's about it.

    I think it is important that people don't get too far ahead themselves in this because, as said above, we really know nothing about this system and can only really guess and make observations and opinions
    Except Iwata has said it is the new system to succeed the DS. Not in the same way the DS Lite or DSi were. He also mentions it will support the Nintendo DS series software because this handheld is new. Please read the PR again, you will understand.

    http://bit.ly/b3XGjD


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  7. #1782
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    That is what I said in my first post responding to you - all three will be able to play the Gen5 games

    I admit, I hadn't actually thought of the GB/GBA thing, an excellent point, but it doesn't change my opinion. I like your analogy of the regular GB to GBC, that is a better way of saying what I wanna say - to me, that is what the 3DS, an upgrade similar to the change from GB to GBC, so drastic yet so small.
    Well, that's alright then, the backwards compatibility of the 3DS was pretty much confirmed. Nevertheless, the transition analogy still stands, so the game will be designed and released for the DS and played on that system by most before the 3DS comes out.

    Regardless, to release the two on the DS and then the upgraded version, the third on the 3DS with the enhancements that come with that would be much better when one considers that lack of real difference between Diamond and Platinum, you know?
    Regardless of the fact it they do it or not, personally, I don't feel it'd be a better idea. I've always liked how they've completed a region on the same console, so you don't have to buy a new one to have all three (though I generally buy one from the first two and then the remade third installment). Gen 5 should be entirely for the DS (and going by precedence, this'll probably happen) and like I said, I'm quite sure there'll be new features and enhanced graphics, etc. once you play it on the 3DS. New console - new game series , imo.

    (oh, and Platinum had the BF, move tutors, better storyline, more Pokemon, etc. among the other enhanced stuff, but w/e I guess)

    I actually dug up some news articles using google and a lot of them basically ran along the lines of "DS successor announced", obviously meaning the DSi.
    I tried out a similar search and this is what I got, obviously talking about the 3DS:

    Nintendo has announced its next major portable console and successor to the DS: the Nintendo 3DS. The company gave few details in its Japanese press release, but there's just enough information to excite anyone interested in the platform -- and there are plenty of you out there, with 125 million DS units purchased as of last December.

    The "Nintendo 3DS" is reportedly just a temporary name, but it accurately depicts what might be the device's biggest feature: it supports 3D effects without the need for any special glasses. Its hardware will be backwards compatible with both the DS and DSi software, which indicates that the 3DS will have two screens, with at least one being touch-sensitive.

    Nintendo will offer a closer look at the 3DS at E3 this June, and the handheld should ship before the end of March 2011. Leave your wild conjectures and tender aspirations in the comments below.
    As said above, to me the 3DS is just another upgrade like the upgrade from Gameboy to Gameboy Colour, DS to DSi, that is just how it looks to me in this early stage. [/COLOR]
    You're wrong in comparing the GB --> GBC upgrade to the DS --> DSi upgrade. The first was a new system (color graphics, better sound, more memory and processing, etc. pretty major stuff) while the second was an enhancement (better screen display, some processing, etc) The DS --> DSi can be more aptly compared to the GBA --> GBA sp. which was an enhancement and not a new system.

    So, going by that, I'm still standing by my view of the 3DS being a new system which will implement major stuff not present on the DS.

    EDIT: Also, @ Hydrohs, the upgrade to GBC from GB may not be "drastic" but it was more important than you think, because the GB could only support black, white and two shades of grey whereas GBC had several colors, quite significant, imo.
    Last edited by Indragon; 23rd March 2010 at 11:07 PM.

    As we wind on down the road~

  8. #1783
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    4,071

    Default

    Sweet Pinpuku, you're wrong. Plain and simple.

    This will be similar to the GameCube in processor power (it needs double the power of the DS to be able to run 3D games), which means that the 3DS will be able to parallel the Playstation 2 in graphics. There's no way that's just a variation of the original DS.

    It's like Gameboy and Gameboy Advance. It had the Gameboy title, but they're completely different handhelds.

  9. #1784
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    ^Yeah, the enhaced 3D is quite significant for it to being a variant of the DS. From what I've read the DS is up to the N64 when it comes to 3D graphics, so obviously the PS2 would be much better.

    As we wind on down the road~

  10. #1785
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22 View Post
    Then don't give it without any real evidence. The only support you've given is "well this is what I think and my opinion can't be wrong", while everyone else has given you official announcement text, historical precedent and other nuggets of evidence and proof.
    At least I backed up what I was saying with something - I checked around the net before posting anything and never once did I spout my opinion as fact, I was very careful with that as I do keep an open-mind. I wasn't the one with responses such as:

    The 3DS is not the DS. It says it in the PR that it is the successor. They are different. Not related. 5th Gen is for the DS. NOT the 3DS.
    The 3DS is a new system unto itself, it has new tech to be used on a different type of media from the DS.
    The wording and phrasing of a PR is interpretated differently by different people, hence why different opinions surface in news articles and here on forums. All those responses serve to do is shove one opinion down my throat (which I have stated that I am open to, maybe not always directly but I have stated so) with no respect for the fact that someone else has offered a different point of view on it which has been backed up.

    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    News articles mean jack. They're written by writers and reporters. No one at Nintendo has ever called the DSi a "successor" to the DS, as you can tell just from the fact that the DS Lite was not discontinued when the DSi released. Nintendo themselves have only ever referred to the DSi as a companion to the DS Lite. This short press release is from Nintendo themselves and it specifically says "this will succeed the Nintendo DS".

    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2010/100323e.pdf

    News articles mean more than jack, I've done part of a Broadcast degree that covers news articles and reports and believe me when I say that if I had based an article on my personal opinion rather than facts, then I'd have failed. Not all writers and reporters are completely bias and subjective and many are actually a lot truer than people give them credit for.
    In all honesty, I haven't read the press release, just translations of it which, as far as I know of translating from Japanese, there is a significant amount of interpretation allowed. If a link ends in .jp, then I can't click on it cos I can't read anything in Japanese, sorry but thanks.
    Regardless of the news articles thing, I will concede on the point that the DSi was not slated as successor - I eventually (after googling since before my last post) found what I hope was the press release for the American release of the DSi and it is stated as being a iteration, an upgrade and not successor (obviously depending on what you interpret those words to mean as iteration can also be regarded as successor in a way), but I will concede on that point.


    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    And the Game Boy Color, despite only having one real advantage over the Game Boy - that being the color graphics - was still very much a new generation of hardware.
    And I'm not disputing that point, all I'm saying is that in my opinion, the 3DS is to the DS/DSi as the GBC was to the GB. Is it stated in the PR what generation of hardware the 3DS belongs to?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    I'm sorry I figured you had read the PR and weren't just pulling things out of your ***. My mistake.
    I'm not just pulling things from there thank you, I am actually doing research into each point before making it as I have continuously made clear. And, no, I have not read the PR for reasons stated above.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    It might not have anything else. But it doesn't have significantly increased power, that's all it needs to make it a new console. Are you going to tell me the GBA is just another iteration of the GBC? I sure hope not.
    That's my point - we don't know. We have one tiny detail on this new console and no-one really can say for sure what is and what is not. And, yes, I will say it - when you get right down to it, the GBA is just an advanced GBC, it adds many new features graphically and all that, but it's still just another version, albeit a highly advanced version, of a regular Gameboy (hence why it's called a Gameboy Advance).

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    We have everything confirmed that we need to know this is a new console and not a new DS >.>
    Answer me this - if it's not a new DS, then why is it called a 3DS?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    GB to GBC wasn't drastic. It accepted more colours, that's about it.
    Oh but it was huge at the time - seeing it all in colour, seeing everything suddenly come to life like that. When it first came out, it was the best and most advanced thing in the world. It maybe isn't by todays standards, but I don't think anyone here can say that they weren't completely blown away by it at the time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    Except Iwata has said it is the new system to succeed the DS. Not in the same way the DS Lite or DSi were. He also mentions it will support the Nintendo DS series software because this handheld is new. Please read the PR again, you will understand.
    As said above, I concede on the whole successor debate to a degree dependant on personal interpretation. I understand that it will support them - funny thing is, all my initial point really argued was the technicality that they were technically for the 3DS in that you can play them on the 3DS, similar to how you play DS games on the DSi.

    I do apologise if it seems I am being really forceful in my opinions and just spouting rubbish, it is not my intention and I am sorry if you interperate it in that way - to me, I am just offering an alternative point that, in my eyes, is entirely possible given the lack of information we have.

    x

  11. #1786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    If a link ends in .jp, then I can't click on it cos I can't read anything in Japanese, sorry but thanks.
    It doesn't. It's an English-language PDF. You really think I'd try to use something as evidence when it's written in some wiggy moon language that only a few people here can read?

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    Answer me this - if it's not a new DS, then why is it called a 3DS?
    I think you know what he means and you're trying to semantically dance around it. "New console" does not have to mean it doesn't carry the DS name, it means it's a generation of hardware distinct from the previous one, which is what this 3DS clearly is, i.e. it's not simply another iteration of the existing DS hardware, which the Lite, the DSi and the XL are.



    -----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

  12. #1787
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    I do apologise if it seems I am being really forceful in my opinions and just spouting rubbish, it is not my intention and I am sorry if you interperate it in that way - to me, I am just offering an alternative point that, in my eyes, is entirely possible given the lack of information we have.
    You're not being forceful but you're being incredibly oblivious. You claim to look upon facts, yet you refuse to see what's right in front of you. You've said your points, I've said mine. I'm tired of this and I'll agree to disagree.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  13. #1788
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    @ Sweet Pinpuku:

    You can just use Google Translator to translate pages in foreign languages.

    Also, you're wrong about the GBA not being a new system as compared to the GBC, the fact that they shared the "Gameboy" part in their names means very little apart from the fact that Nintendo wanted people to recognise their new products and form some continuity. As I've mentioned earlier, GBA to GBA sp. was an enhancement while the aforementioned GBC --> GBA wasn't.

    As for the name 3DS, it isn't finalized and also, you're reading too much into it. The "3D" comes from its ability to display 3D graphics while the DS comes from it having two screens. Since they share the middle letter, linking it was just for a clever-sounding, interesting name which, to an extent, is to show the progression of Nintendo from the DS series so people recognise it. On a related note, the Playstations (1,2,3, and Portable) share parts of their name but are vastly different consoles.

    As we wind on down the road~

  14. #1789
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Indragon View Post
    Also, you're wrong about the GBA not being a new system as compared to the GBC, the fact that they shared the "Gameboy" part in their names means very little apart from the fact that Nintendo wanted people to recognise their new products and form some continuity. As I've mentioned earlier, GBA to GBA sp. was an enhancement while the aforementioned GBC --> GBA wasn't.

    As for the name 3DS, it isn't finalized and also, you're reading too much into it. The "3D" comes from its ability to display 3D graphics while the DS comes from it having two screens. Since they share the middle letter, linking it was just for a clever-sounding, interesting name which, to an extent, is to show the progression of Nintendo from the DS series so people recognise it. On a related note, the Playstations (1,2,3, and Portable) share parts of their name but are vastly different consoles.

    I suppose that is a better way of saying what I want to say, maybe this'll make my opinion clearer - just the same way that PS1, PS2, PS3 and PSP are all Playstations, to me the 3DS is still a DS, just like the Gameboy Advance is still a Gameboy and always will be in my eyes. When I get a 3DS, I probably will just call it a DS (same way I just called my PS3 a playstation). As stated before, I guess it's all just down to personal interpretation.


    Quote Originally Posted by BCVM22
    It doesn't. It's an English-language PDF. You really think I'd try to use something as evidence when it's written in some wiggy moon language that only a few people here can read?

    Ah, right, thankx.
    Read it and I do agree with every point every person has made relating to it, but I still stand by my own points as an albeit probably slim possibility - there is no harm in having another idea and pov.


    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverFlame
    This will be similar to the GameCube in processor power (it needs double the power of the DS to be able to run 3D games), which means that the 3DS will be able to parallel the Playstation 2 in graphics. There's no way that's just a variation of the original DS.
    The DS actually already does parallel the PS2 in terms of graphics - in fact, I know of one PS2 game that was released on GBA and, as far as I know from pics I've seen, there was no change in graphics quality.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    You're not being forceful but you're being incredibly oblivious. You claim to look upon facts, yet you refuse to see what's right in front of you. You've said your points, I've said mine. I'm tired of this and I'll agree to disagree.
    I am not being oblivious - I have stated that I do see what you are saying but merely offer an alternative interpretation. I think each of us have made good grounds for both between us all and have opened up a great area for discussion regardless of who is right and who is wrong. I don't agree to disagree because I agree with both my own and everyone else's points to an extent - I'm just trying to stay open to any possibility, regardless of how slim.

    I thank you all for a great discussion, but I'm a-goin to bed x

  15. #1790
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    The DS actually already does parallel the PS2 in terms of graphics - in fact, I know of one PS2 game that was released on GBA and, as far as I know from pics I've seen, there was no change in graphics quality.
    Just mentioning that the DS' graphics aren't as good as the PS2's. Like I said, it's N64 quality while the PSP actually has more like PS2 graphics. And, though a game may be released on several consoles, I can assure you that there is a world of difference between the graphics quality of the GBA and that of the PS2, you must have been looking at the wrong pics :/

    As we wind on down the road~

  16. #1791
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    The DS actually already does parallel the PS2 in terms of graphics - in fact, I know of one PS2 game that was released on GBA and, as far as I know from pics I've seen, there was no change in graphics quality.
    The DS is nowhere near the PS2 in graphics. It's more akin to the N64, or even the PSX. Take Final Fantasy XII for example, the DS can not come anywhere close to doing that.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  17. #1792
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    @Hydrohs and Indragon

    Check out Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Released for PS2 orginally and released on GBA - the screens I saw of the GBA version, while they were low quality images, they looked very close to the PS2 counterpart.

    And I'm really going this time cos fiancé wants sleep x

  18. #1793
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    @Hydrohs and Indragon

    Check out Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. Released for PS2 orginally and released on GBA - the screens I saw of the GBA version, while they were low quality images, they looked very close to the PS2 counterpart.

    And I'm really going this time cos fiancé wants sleep x
    They are completely different. The PS2 uses 3D whereas the GBA is using an isometric sprite view.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  19. #1794
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Sunlit fields of grass
    Posts
    2,219

    Default

    ^Agreed, I checked out the pictures, and to be honest, I found them pretty different in terms of style and of image + colour quality.

    As we wind on down the road~

  20. #1795
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Found some better quality pics and, Hydrohs, you're right - they're not 3D 3D like FFXII and Avatar, what I mean is it is 3D in that it is not flat, you can see the X, Y, and Z Axis giving it all a full 3D rendition and if the GBA can already handle that, then surely the DS can handle it on a grander scale? Which, as has been pointed out, it already has.

    But, when I think about the Pokémon games in particular, they're all flat mostly only really focusing on the X and Y Axis and not the Z Axis. What I'm trying to say is - if the DS is capable of handling things in 3D in that respect, why hasn't it done so for Pokémon? Which brings me to a thought - even though the 3DS is going to support 3D 3D graphics, will it even be that visible in Pokémon games if they've always been flat and sprite-based and continue to be so? When I look at the 3D rendition of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the GBA, I'm forced to ask - surely a game like Pokémon Ranger could've done that but even better? But it didn't and that makes me wonder if they 3DS will bring such a drastic change to Pokémon gaming (specifically the main series) if they decide to stick to their usual style and format, I think there is a chance that Pokémon on the 3DS may be a dissappointment. I suppose, in that repesct, it maybe is a good thing that thse two Pokémon games and the new Ranger game (and I wouldn't be surprised if another Mystery Dungeon came along before the 3DS release) are out on regular DS because they may very well drastically change when and if Pokémon makes it to the 3DS...

    Wooohh... that was a sentence and a half x

  21. #1796
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sweet Pinpuku View Post
    [FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Found some better quality pics and, Hydrohs, you're right - they're not 3D 3D like FFXII and Avatar, what I mean is it is 3D in that it is not flat, you can see the X, Y, and Z Axis giving it all a full 3D rendition and if the GBA can already handle that, then surely the DS can handle it on a grander scale? Which, as has been pointed out, it already has.
    The GBA can't to any 3D, not even polygons. Baldur's Gate is completely drawn with sprites, the shading and isometric view give the illusion of 3 dimensions. The DS can do polygons but it can't have anywhere near the amount the PS2 can because the PS2 has way more processing power.

    But, when I think about the Pokémon games in particular, they're all flat mostly only really focusing on the X and Y Axis and not the Z Axis. What I'm trying to say is - if the DS is capable of handling things in 3D in that respect, why hasn't it done so for Pokémon?
    Because that's not Gamefreak's style. The 2D style is what it's always been, that's why even though Fourth Gen is in 3D it still sticks so closely to 2D.

    will it even be that visible in Pokémon games if they've always been flat and sprite-based and continue to be so?
    Obviously not if they continue to do so. The 3DS isn't just going to change all games to have depth, developers still need to make their games that way.

    When I look at the 3D rendition of Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance on the GBA, I'm forced to ask - surely a game like Pokémon Ranger could've done that but even better?
    Ranger did the exact same thing and better. It's an isometric view as well. Neither have polygons and neither are 3D in any real aspect.

    I think there is a chance that Pokémon on the 3DS may be a dissappointment.
    If you really wanted it to be 3D then yes. But me, I'm fine with the style they've got right now. There's no need for depth.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  22. #1797
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    910

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    Because that's not Gamefreak's style. The 2D style is what it's always been, that's why even though Fourth Gen is in 3D it still sticks so closely to 2D.
    Remember people, what Masuda said: we will be asking ourselves, "is this really Pokémon?"
    by Leyniar


    Cool Fan art I requested: WOLFMIN PLATNIUM CHAMPIONS

    I'm on deviantART!

  23. #1798
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    17,064

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheLupineOne View Post
    Remember people, what Masuda said: we will be asking ourselves, "is this really Pokémon?"
    Remember graphical style does not dictate Pokemon. Did you ask yourself if Colosseum was Pokemon? Probably not.


    | Backloggery | MyAnimeList | Raptr | Last.fm | VGMdb | Banner adapted by me from here. |

  24. #1799
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs View Post
    The GBA can't to any 3D, not even polygons. Baldur's Gate is completely drawn with sprites, the shading and isometric view give the illusion of 3 dimensions. The DS can do polygons but it can't have anywhere near the amount the PS2 can because the PS2 has way more processing power.
    Let me rephrase using your words - the GBA can do 3D in that you can see objects on all three axis (X, Y and Z), buildings don't look as flat as say the buildings in Emerald do. As you said, it gives the illusion of 3D, which I am more than happy to call 3D because it looks 3D.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hydrohs
    Because that's not Gamefreak's style. The 2D style is what it's always been, that's why even though Fourth Gen is in 3D it still sticks so closely to 2D.

    Obviously not if they continue to do so. The 3DS isn't just going to change all games to have depth, developers still need to make their games that way.

    Ranger did the exact same thing and better. It's an isometric view as well. Neither have polygons and neither are 3D in any real aspect.

    If you really wanted it to be 3D then yes. But me, I'm fine with the style they've got right now. There's no need for depth.
    Buildings in Ranger on DS are flat looking, the don't have sides to them really, the ones on the GBA Baldur's Gate do have sides, they're not viewed flatly. I know it's not GamFreak's style, all I'm saying is that they could've if they had wanted to and they chose not to, which makes me wonder how they'll hanlde Pokémon on the 3DS given that they have already had the opportunity to do it in a better 3D style using the DS's capabilities and didn't. I suppose it's just a way to keep us guessing and wondering what twists and turns are still to come ^.^ it's fun that way x

  25. #1800
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Laptop
    Posts
    276

    Default

    Just found something relating to all the discussion we've been having here, particularly to the 3DS not being as big a jump as people think:

    This is just an article about the game:

    http://www.pcworld.com/article/19042...lasses_3d.html

    There's an video style ad thing for the game, watch it from the start and you'll see the DSi moving and showing 3D:
    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ds/dsiware/krgj/index.html

    Watch the ad thing for this game - that is essentially what the 3DS is supposed to do yeah? Looking at this, can the 3DS really be considered that huge a step-up from the DSi if the DSi is already quite capable of generating the illusion of 3D in the exact way the PR states the 3DS will do?

    Just looking at that 3D technique shown there and how the outside of the Olivine Lighthouse was done - Pokémon on the 3DS could look really great if done in that style, you know?

    x
    Last edited by Sweet Pinpuku; 24th March 2010 at 2:59 PM.

Page 72 of 533 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •