Page 597 of 991 FirstFirst ... 497547587593594595596597598599600601607647697 ... LastLast
Results 14,901 to 14,925 of 24774

Thread: ~ Official Pokémon News Discussion Thread ~ [POST POKEMON NEWS HERE]

  1. #14901
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    261

    Default

    I feel like they were using the sign as a hint that the Battle Frontier will return in Z. Perhaps they were working on it, but didn't have enough time to finish?

  2. #14902
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuoko View Post
    I feel like they were using the sign as a hint that the Battle Frontier will return in Z. Perhaps they were working on it, but didn't have enough time to finish?
    I doubt it though. The most likely thing we get in Z is the Battle Maison for the third time in a row. No point sticking Hoenn Battle Frontier in the game if it never made it into ORAS.

  3. #14903
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotel Cortez
    Posts
    58,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuoko View Post
    I feel like they were using the sign as a hint that the Battle Frontier will return in Z. Perhaps they were working on it, but didn't have enough time to finish?
    I thought Masuda implied that GF doesn't want to spend time with the Battle Frontier because kids wouldn't be interested. I'm paraphrasing of course.

  4. #14904
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I thought Masuda implied that GF doesn't want to spend time with the Battle Frontier because kids wouldn't be interested. I'm paraphrasing of course.
    It's wasn't so much just the difficulty, but also the fact that in the long run few people would use it and fed back into the difficulty of the games.

    specifically (and this is a reddit translation so the one i have might differ marginally)
    We created a "balanced" game that was suited for our time and age, where everyone is very busy and young people have various means of entertainment. Using smartphones and other devices they can access a great number of games, so the time they dedicate to a single game is less than in the past. The player can choose to keep on playing after the main story and continue to the post-game, where the difficulty rises and there are much more difficult Trainers and challenges to overcome.
    while it's definitely possible they took criticism and general people wanting it to come back, I doubt it will. This is also probably why we got something like the Delta Episode instead; a slight addition to the campaign that the game sets up at the credits and will throw you into the moment you start up. More people will see it, they dont have to go out of their way to find it, it's not terrible involved/long but still slightly more challenging.
    Probably didn't help that the Emerald frontier was fairly large; the actual area was huge and they'd have to recreate 6 facilities (Battle Maison is basically the Battle Tower so...). Which, sure, I suppose could lead back into it being in Z (since most of the work for the rest of the region will already be done) but ehhhh the audience philosophy is probably still strong.

  5. #14905
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Celestial Land of Tenno
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    I've pointed this out on other threads, figure I might as well here.

    The thing is, the Battle Frontier is something made for "third versions" of each generation. First Emerald introduced the Battle Frontier. Then Platinum introduced the Sinnoh Battle Frontier. They put it in Heart Gold/Soul Silver as well, but only because it was already made for Platinum. Black/White 2 introduced the Pokemon World Tournament, which was essentially Fifth Gen's version of the Battle Frontier. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are not "third games" and came out before the "third game" of Sixth Gen. There really wasn't much of a reason to expect a Battle Frontier in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, but I fully expect some sort of version of it in Z (even if it's only an expanded Battle Maison).

    Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

    Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

  6. #14906
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    I've pointed this out on other threads, figure I might as well here.

    The thing is, the Battle Frontier is something made for "third versions" of each generation. First Emerald introduced the Battle Frontier. Then Platinum introduced the Sinnoh Battle Frontier. They put it in Heart Gold/Soul Silver as well, but only because it was already made for Platinum. Black/White 2 introduced the Pokemon World Tournament, which was essentially Fifth Gen's version of the Battle Frontier. Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire are not "third games" and came out before the "third game" of Sixth Gen. There really wasn't much of a reason to expect a Battle Frontier in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, but I fully expect some sort of version of it in Z (even if it's only an expanded Battle Maison).
    This is...really stretching it and you know it. And exceedingly arbitrary logic.

  7. #14907
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Celestial Land of Tenno
    Posts
    3,455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    This is...really stretching it and you know it. And exceedingly arbitrary logic.
    I disagree. The Battle Frontier in Emerald was created so that Emerald would have a feature to set it apart from Ruby and Sapphire. The same goes for Platinum's Battle Frontier and Black/White 2's Pokemon World Tournament. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have no need to be set apart from anything while the upcoming Z Version will. Since the "third versions" return to a region that had only just been visited a year or two ago, and tend to have very similar stories, they need whatever they can get to help them stand above their previous incarnations. In the previous three generations that has meant the Battle Frontier (or an incarnation of it). They could have made two Battle Frontiers, the one from Emerald in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, and something new in Z, but they probably decided to only do one this generation. Given the choice, they decided that Z Version needed it more for previously stated reasons.

    Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

    Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

  8. #14908
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Baring his soul
    Posts
    11,140

    Default

    My issue with this interpretation is how it relates to the Battle Frontier specifically; I can accept the idea that Z will have some sort of new facility of some kind to separate it from XY, but the fact that BW2 included a World Tournament instead shouldn't be disregarded so casually (I don't know how many people picked up on this, since we're all so busy with smartphones and don't like things that are demanding and challenging, but the PWT is nothing like the BF in terms of implementation in the slightest).

    From what I've gathered from Masuda's bullsh*t, Battle Frontiers seem to be over and done with; personally, I'm expecting them to try to pull the PWT again, since people loved that so much the first time (and by "that," I mean insubstantial fanservice).

  9. #14909
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    11,014

    Default

    I don't even think we're even getting the PWT, it was easier to implement in BW2 because they already had the assets for most of the characters from past DS games and they only needed to remake the Hoenn characters. Now we only have Kalos and Hoenn characters and they need to remake the Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova characters. Not to mention the jump to 3D graphics means they have to put more work into each one.

    I think we'll get a new battle facility in Z if anything. Hell, they may even give us nothing in terms of battle facilities, that wouldn't surprise me considering Masuda's comments.
    Last edited by Bolt the Cat; 21st September 2015 at 9:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

  10. #14910
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    133

    Default

    I see that a lot of people have really strong convictions about the content of the future game, even though they have no evidence to back their claims. If someone would open a gambling service on this forum, he would make tons of money. xD

    Does GF consider online battles as a post-game content, or something that should replace post-game content?
    New/old player here.
    After a long long time, playing Pokemon again.

    My Friend Code: 4098-6117-3324. In game name: Tica.
    Pokemon in my Friend Safari: Nuzleaf-Cacturne-Inkay (Dark type)

  11. #14911
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    I don't even think we're even getting the PWT, it was easier to implement in BW2 because they already had the assets for most of the characters from past DS games and they only needed to remake the Hoenn characters. Now we only have Kalos and Hoenn characters and they need to remake the Kanto, Johto, Sinnoh, and Unova characters. Not to mention the jump to 3D graphics means they have to put more work into each one.

    I think we'll get a new battle facility in Z if anything. Hell, they may even give us nothing in terms of battle facilities, that wouldn't surprise me considering Masuda's comments.
    They actually did recreate assets for them. More specifically, they recreated the overworld sprites due to the fifth generation sprites being a bit bigger than the fourth generation sprites (as well as being within a slightly different artstyle) and added more frames to the animations of the gym leaders and champions.

    Besides, assuming they won't do some sort of graphical overhaul to the battle system like they did within the past third version games (in addition to Black 2 and White 2), the only thing they'd actually need to recreate are the overworld 3D models and animations. For the "versus" sprites, they could simply either use their respective official artwork or draw new ones.

  12. #14912
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Austria
    Posts
    2

    Default

    There's this really interesting quote from Chatelaine Morgan after you beat her the second time at the maison:
    "Just the outcome I would expect... Honestly, I'm not telling fibs! You really are the Trainer I thought you were, aren't you now, pet? Heh heh... Might I ask something? Would you consider becoming the owner here? Me sisters and I have to be returning to our Battle Maison in Kalos someday. I suppose we'd feel safe trusting you with the Battle Maison name. There would also be the matter of our plans to build an even more impressive battle facility in the area. If we get our ducks in a row now, we may make oodles when we leave here. No more talk about it now, but do consider the idea, won't you, pet? Well then, I wait eagerly for our next battle and for your favorable reply!"
    I really want this to be a thing. I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but still.
    "There are bad ways to win and good ways to lose.
    What's interesting and troubling is that it's not always clear which is which."
    - Grimsley, Pokemon Black/White

  13. #14913
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymini View Post
    There's this really interesting quote from Chatelaine Morgan after you beat her the second time at the maison:


    I really want this to be a thing. I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but still.
    What part of the quote do you mean? Becoming the owner of the Maison? A future BF?

  14. #14914
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymini View Post
    There's this really interesting quote from Chatelaine Morgan after you beat her the second time at the maison:


    I really want this to be a thing. I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but still.
    I can see how you could read that as foreshadowing for Z but I can also just as easily see them still talking about the battle frontier that's under construction (MAN the way ORAS treated emerald's material was so weird)

  15. #14915
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    221

    Default

    They will not make a Kalos Frontier, it would be disrespectful for ORAS fans. And GF stated the Frontier is not interesting for the new mobile gamers, cause it's too hard.

  16. #14916
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bguy7 View Post
    I disagree. The Battle Frontier in Emerald was created so that Emerald would have a feature to set it apart from Ruby and Sapphire. The same goes for Platinum's Battle Frontier and Black/White 2's Pokemon World Tournament. Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire have no need to be set apart from anything while the upcoming Z Version will. Since the "third versions" return to a region that had only just been visited a year or two ago, and tend to have very similar stories, they need whatever they can get to help them stand above their previous incarnations. In the previous three generations that has meant the Battle Frontier (or an incarnation of it). They could have made two Battle Frontiers, the one from Emerald in Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, and something new in Z, but they probably decided to only do one this generation. Given the choice, they decided that Z Version needed it more for previously stated reasons.
    Except that's wrong. I've said it in the other threads, but you're still employing completely arbitrary logic.

    You state as if Emerald BF is the only thing that sets it apart from Ruby and Sapphire in terms of features. What about the fact that Emerald was the only game to feature two evil team storyline in the generation? What about being the first 3rd gen game where you can catch both mascot legendaries without trading? Not everything is solely tied to the Battle Frontier, after all that's two of the plentiful features that separate Emerald from being a simple Ruby/Sapphire rehash.

    The mental gymnastics is pretty staggering in regards to your comment about ORAS not needing to separate itself from the pack. You can say that HeartGold and SoulSilver had no need to separate itself from the other Pokemon games, but then why did GameFreak give it a Battle Frontier? Therefore, it makes no sense to say that ORAS has no need to separate itself. That's only based on what you think, and even then, the logic doesn't work. Because you're putting a lot of stock on Z having the Battle Frontier, when it makes more sense considering that Hoenn was the first region to use the Battle Frontier in the first place. Lastly, consider that both HGSS and Platinum had the same Frontier, yet now it's a problem if ORAS and Z has the same Frontier? I raised this point before and you still didn't provide a suitable answer aside from "because Z is a third game while ORAS is not."

  17. #14917
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    3,401

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss1991 View Post
    They will not make a Kalos Frontier, it would be disrespectful for ORAS fans.
    I'm not getting involved in the debate over whether or not Battle Frontier stands any hope of returning, but I'm reasonably sure that if it doesn't this won't be the reason why.

  18. #14918
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Lansing MI
    Posts
    8,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvixer View Post
    Does GF consider online battles as a post-game content, or something that should replace post-game content?
    Definitely not as a replacement. That basically means if you happen to lack any sort of Wi-Fi for a few weeks or even period, it's tough luck. Which really isn't fair nor worth a $40 price tag if you provide little replay value outside of save file restarts to the consumer.

    Think of it as a post-game bonus.
    3DS FC: 3652-1012-6122
    NNID: BeatScrafty2
    Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Yup:

    Original meaning: Deus Ex Machina

    Serebii : Didnt Enjoy Much.

    #teamRowlet

  19. #14919
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    6,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nymini View Post
    There's this really interesting quote from Chatelaine Morgan after you beat her the second time at the maison:


    I really want this to be a thing. I mean, I don't wanna get my hopes up, but still.
    It probably just means that we are getting the Battle Maison in the next game. I wouldn't read too much into it. I don't think we would see the BF again for future games because of what was said about it in interview.

  20. #14920
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Hotel Cortez
    Posts
    58,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Boss1991 View Post
    They will not make a Kalos Frontier, it would be disrespectful for ORAS fans. And GF stated the Frontier is not interesting for the new mobile gamers, cause it's too hard.
    I agree with the second part, but I don't think GF cares about angering the OR/AS fans. Like, I can't even imagine much resulting from that anyway other than the usual complaints online, then eventually people would move on.

  21. #14921
    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Posts
    221

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
    I'm not getting involved in the debate over whether or not Battle Frontier stands any hope of returning, but I'm reasonably sure that if it doesn't this won't be the reason why.
    Not entirely, but hey, after stating that the Frontier was not included in ORAS cause only a small portion of fans would appreciate it, it does make sense that he won´t include it in the next game. It would make him appear as he was just making excuses, in the fandom eyes. He did say ORAS was a very special project for him, since RSE were his first games as a director.




    Also, for now, I believe him. I believe he just has this new vision for the franchise: that they should concentrate more time and effort to "impact" fans during the main game, with awesome new features (Dex Nav, Soaring, Customisation, etc) and refined gameplay, rather than impact us in the post game, with big, complicated postgame Battle features which only a few fans would get toplay and appreciate. They probably decided this strategy after cnsulting statistics and stuff, and figuring out that indeed, most players stop playing after beating the main game.

    For a hardcore Pokemon fan like me, this is not the better vision, as I care about lengthy postgame content the most. But since Pokemon X and ORAS, I can say that these improved, player friendly, more polished games have kinda... spoiled me... and I´m not sure if I would chose a less refined more old-school Pokemon game with more postgame, as I would before. Those new games do spoil you... LOL

    So it´s not a bad startegy after all. We still get a good postgame tbh. Just not B2W2 big or Platinum big.

    Returning to the topic, I think a PWT is more in the spirit of their new mentality, rather than a Frontier. It is smaller, more compact and efficient. And less time consuming maybe, as it is one building, opposed to 5- 7 buildings for a Frontier. A PWT is like an expanded Maison...

    PD If Pokemon Z comes out with all the refined, polished playability AND a B2W2 amount of post game content...It would be impressive and welcomed... and would also prove GF were only making excuses for XY and ORAS and that they don´t really think players are too busy for postgame nowadays. But for now, I tend to think this is less likely.
    Last edited by Boss1991; 22nd September 2015 at 12:47 AM.

  22. #14922
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    2,082

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I agree with the second part, but I don't think GF cares about angering the OR/AS fans. Like, I can't even imagine much resulting from that anyway other than the usual complaints online, then eventually people would move on.
    I think you give people too much credit in regards to moving on. I refused to buy ORAS after hearing that the BF was not in (and I know others did the same too), and if Z continues the trend of post-game content being cut/decreased/etc. I'm not buying that game either, and I'm sure others share the same mentality. If that continues, I have to imagine that it'll make an impact on their bottom line as far as sales are concerned.

  23. #14923
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    18,981

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BurningWhiteKyurem View Post
    I think you give people too much credit in regards to moving on. I refused to buy ORAS after hearing that the BF was not in (and I know others did the same too), and if Z continues the trend of post-game content being cut/decreased/etc. I'm not buying that game either, and I'm sure others share the same mentality. If that continues, I have to imagine that it'll make an impact on their bottom line as far as sales are concerned.
    The numbers would have be very significant though and I think ORAS actually sold better than XY so this would have to be a pretty consistent and hard trend to probably make an impact on their bottom line

  24. #14924
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Baring his soul
    Posts
    11,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    and I think ORAS actually sold better than XY
    June numbers put XY at 14 million and ORAS at 10.3 million (though that's normal for new generations vs remakes).
    Last edited by Excitable Boy; 22nd September 2015 at 1:37 AM.

  25. #14925
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Wherever the adventure lies
    Posts
    11,014

    Default

    I can imagine the sales going down significantly if they continue the direction they're going in. Mobile is gradually eating into the younger market and the current direction is gradually going to turn off the older market, so who do they have left? If they don't change something soon they'll start losing their fanbase.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

Page 597 of 991 FirstFirst ... 497547587593594595596597598599600601607647697 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •