Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hoennshipping (Brendan x May) General Discussion

Default Hoennshipping (Brendan x May) General Discussion

Welcome to the..

Hoennshipping Thread

Credit for the picture goes to arrioruu from deviantart!

What is Hoennshipping? Well, Hoennshipping is the name given to the belief that the characters Brendan (Yuki) and May (Haruka) are or will be involved in a romantic relationship.
    Here you can discuss the hints and the progression of the ship.

Rules

1. All SPPF & Shippers Community Rules Apply!
    2. No Bashing or Blaming other members, ships, or characters! This won't be tolerated and will be reported directly to the mods.
    3. No Multi-Posting! Yes, sometimes, you may accidentally double post, it happens. It that does happen, you have to delete it immediately.
    4. Stay On Topic! This thread is meant to discuss Hoennshipping and only Hoennshipping so avoid discussing anything that does not relate to the main topic.
    5. No One Liners! Try to avoid posts that only contain one line. Put more substance into your posts, otherwise they will be considered spam.
    6. If you post a Fanart, be sure to give credit to the artist. If you have no idea who made the fanart, be sure to say so in your post.
    7. Use Spoiler Tags if necessary! Not necessarily required but if you feel its necessary, please be sure to do so.

Our Hoennshipping Family
        Spoiler:- Members/Supporters:

FanFiction
        Spoiler:- FanFiction:

Graphics/Fanart
        Spoiler:- Graphics/Fanart:

---

I got permission from xEryChan.

So, lets start this discussion off with a topic, yes?

What made you support this pairing?

I was really never really much of a Hoennshipper before but after playing through Omega Ruby as Brendan, I immediately fell for this pairing. The hints in this game were too big too ignore, if you ask me.

I strongly believe that May was crushing on Brendan (or the opposite if you played through as May). I mean, that scene in front of the Cave of Origin right before he went in to save the day was so darn shippy. She basically told him straight up that he's literally the best friend she's ever had. Plus, they were literally on a date right at the end of the delta episode and even the player's own parents are supporters of this ship too, doesn't that make it obvious?

I don't know what else I can say except this pairing is so darn cute and I love it.
    Last edited by Mizz Nikki; 5th March 2015 at 3:06 AM.

Hoennshipping was my childhood OTP. I still adore it to this day.

Note: I played as May, switch the names around if you view Brendan as the protagonist.

When I was younger, Ruby was the first Pokémon game I played all the way through, so I naturally had a soft spot for it. Brendan was a likeable rival, but still wasn't bland to me and had his quirky moments. Just the way he goes all the way to the Pokémon League to tell May tips for beating Steven only to find out she won already hit me. Emerald gave us the option to call Brendan, and some of those conversations helped, too. Overall, May was my favorite protagonist at the time, while Brendan was my favorite male protagonist (Lucas beat him out later, but May still holds the title, though Lyra and Hilda challenged it). No one else felt right for May at the time.

Over time, I became more of a multishipper and Hoennshipping took a backseat. When OR/AS came out, I thought I'd start to prefer NewRival or something else. Then I played the game, and while I do ship May with other characters as well... Hoo boy. They take the ship and amp it up.
        Spoiler:- OR/AS Spoilers Including Postgame:

Phew, guess I'm more passionate about Hoennshipping than I realized. It's easily my favorite of the protagonist x protagonist ships, though.

Hoennshipping has always been one of my favorite ships and quite possibly my childhood OTP so do you mind if I join in?

Note: I'm going to refer to Brendan as the main protagonist since I played as him in AS. Switch the names around if you played as May.

Sapphire was the first Pokemon game I ever played. The first time I played as May and right when Brendan was first introduced, I got so offended by that line, "I heard from my dad that you're the kid of a gym leader so I assumed you'd be a guy" and because of that, I started to dislike Brendan. But he kept growing on me throughout the game. How he kept giving May advice, I like how he is one of the few rival who does not constantly pick on the player throughout the game, like most rivals do. Plus, he does not battle to beat you every time, he battles you to see how you have grown as a trainer.

Then when ORAS, I immediately fell for Brendan's new design. I found him to be simply adorable so I knew straight from the beginning that I was play as him in AS. They were so many cute scenes between May and Brendan during the game, like the scene with the Beautifly at the beginning, and especially that scene right before he goes into the Cave of Origin to battle Kyogre where she tells him he's the best friend she's ever had was so cute and I viewed that as May telling Brendan, "I love you, okay? You better come out of this alive." Only to friendzone him right at the end.

That whole date scene at the end of the Delta Episode was so freaking adorable. I kind of laughed when May was making faces in the astronaut suit.

All in all, this is one of my favorite ships from my childhood and it really took a backseat to some of my other favorite ships, only for them to completely shove it down our throats in ORAS and for that, I couldn't be happier.

I'm like half tempted to write a Hoennshippy drabble now because of this haha

❤️ Pearlshipping | Agencyshipping | Hoennshipping ❤️

I'm not sure how I feel about this shipping...yet, but it only took until meeting May in the game for the first time to sense that May had an interest in Brendan. This may be the first game shipping I support. Well see how it goes; I'll have finished my Alpha Sapphire journey soon enough and I am interested in romance subplots, so we'll see.
    Hi everyone! I love being involved in the shipper's community, and even though I have decided to retire from fanfiction-dot-net for the time being, I still support Othelloshipping!

Yes! I am the world's biggest Othelloshipper because Ash and Hilda are the perfect pair IMO!

This is easily my favorite protag x protag ships overall. Not really hard though seeing as I'm not really a big fan of them, but I do like this ship a lot.

Playing Emerald version not too too long ago, I played it through both characters. When playing May's character, nothing really interest me about the ship, but playing Brendan's side and reading some of May's lines to Brendan made me think that it'd be a cute ship. Just how nervous May was seemed him at first was just so cute and Brendan just seemed like a nice guy that she got comfortable around him real quick. And there seemed to be interest for May when you first beat her, as she liked how quickly you befriended your pokemon. Also might be wrong, but I think Brendan/May might be the only rivals to let you choose if you like to battle or not, and I find it pretty unique about the two and find it pretty neat that even as trainers, there's one time they let you choose if you want to battle them or not.

Then seeing both personalities from playing both people, Brendan seemed like a nice outgoing person while May seemed at first a little shy/nervous at first, but is a sweet girl. So I think Brendan was a good match for her as she seem to not be so nervous around her around their first battle.

While I wouldn't say that this is my favorite protag x protag ship, I do happen to like this ship a lot. I admit that I wasn't too supportive of it before, ORAS have definitely changed that.

So I think I'll be joining this discussion.

Well, like I said, I started off not liking this pairing. I'm normally someone who usually liked ships involving the two protagonists but this one just didn't do it for me. It wasn't until ORAS came along when I changed my views on this ship.

Since I played through as Brendan, I'm just going to refer to him as the main protagonist.

They were so many scene during the ORAS games that Brendan and May shared, like the scene with the Beautifly very early on. May is practically the only rival who does not battle you just to beat you. Nope, she battles you just to see how you've progressed as a trainer. That whole date scene at the Mosdeep Space Center at the end of the Delta Episode was just so darn cute as well. I don't know what else to say.

Judging from the games, Brendan is a fun, outgoing person while May is a bit more relaxed. They definitely are a great match for each other, IMO.
    Last edited by xEryChan; 16th January 2015 at 2:26 AM.

I'd like to join (though I like May with Lisia, I like her with Brendan, too). =)

Serena ♥ Reika ♥ Julie
    ♥~ Call me any of them! ~♥

Probably like most, but I didn't immediately start shipping Brendan/May. For one, I temporarily fell out of love for Pokemon by the time the original RSE games came out, so I didn't get a chance to experience Brendan or May at all. Once I did get back into Pokemon, I still wasn't quite on board with this ship, despite my love for FranticShipping (PokeSpe counterpart). ORAS pretty much sealed all love I have for HoennShipping! Maybe it's flown over my head, but HoennShipping is probably the only protag/protag ship I've seen that's been heavily hinted in the game. Whether you played as Brendan or May, the rival crush is seriously there. I can't tell you the number of times I smiled just seeing them together as I played the game and the end of the main game story and Delta Episode was a literal 'I must ship them!' feel for me! They are so cute together! >_< Oh, and fanart absolutely helps; even the mini comics you find online about these two are really good headcanon fodder.

I love HoennShipping for what it is. And hey, it can be both a protag/protag ship and a protag/rival ship. That must get people who are pro-P/P and pro-P/R to stop any shipping wars right? :P

♡ CultureShockShipping | GlobalAppealShipping | IronWillShipping | MidsummerNightShipping | SignOfWarmthShipping ♡

I like to think that May in the games is a different person from May in the anime, since the games and anime, to me at least, represent separate universes. Since Drew does not exist in the games, I'm more inclined to ship game May with Brendan. So yes, Hoennshipping is one of my minor shippings that I support. I sometimes wonder what would happen if Brendan and game May met Drew and anime May.
    Ceci n'est pas une signature
    -----
    Though I die, La Resistance lives on

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu Fan Number Nine View Post
    I like to think that May in the games is a different person from May in the anime, since the games and anime, to me at least, represent separate universes. Since Drew does not exist in the games, I'm more inclined to ship game May with Brendan. So yes, Hoennshipping is one of my minor shippings that I support. I sometimes wonder what would happen if Brendan and game May met Drew and anime May.
    That's what fanfiction/fanart is for. ;P Though if you want something closer, Brendan technically did make a cameo in one of the Pokemon movies (I can't remember which one), so you can probably ask what would happen if Brendan met Drew and anime!May or what if Drew met game!Brendan and game!May. It's confusing, but I know I saw the latter somewhere on fanfiction.net...

♡ CultureShockShipping | GlobalAppealShipping | IronWillShipping | MidsummerNightShipping | SignOfWarmthShipping ♡

Quote Originally Posted by _Serena View Post
    I'd like to join (though I like May with Lisia, I like her with Brendan, too). =)
    Sure you can join, I'll add you in the first post. But next time, please elaborate on your post a bit more and explain why you support Hoennshipping? Sorry but one line posts are against the rules in here.

Anyways..

Quote Originally Posted by MonMonCandie View Post
    That's what fanfiction/fanart is for. ;P Though if you want something closer, Brendan technically did make a cameo in one of the Pokemon movies (I can't remember which one), so you can probably ask what would happen if Brendan met Drew and anime!May or what if Drew met game!Brendan and game!May. It's confusing, but I know I saw the latter somewhere on fanfiction.net...
    That is true and yes, he did. If I recall correctly, it was the 9th movie, Pokemon Ranger and the Temple of the Sea which is one of my favorite Pokemon movies, ever but I'm not sure, I'm like tempted to watch it now just to see haha xD

I'm seriously so tempted to write a Hoennshipping one shot based off the delta episode now since I've beaten Omega Ruby.

I like this ship too, its practically canon in the games. When you play as either May or Brendan, the opposite gender still has shipping dialogue. You guys can look up all the alternate May or Brendan dialogue online at places like tumblr to see it from both sides depending who is your rival.

Quote Originally Posted by Pikachu Fan Number Nine View Post
    Even though they are different characters, ORAS May's personality seemed like it was somewhat modeled after her anime counterpart. I don't know if it was because of the better graphics in ORAS compared to the original R/S, but game May felt very similar to May in the anime this time around. Anyone else think the game May felt more similar to anime May this time around than from the original R/S? Maybe it was just me though

Honestly if Brendan ever appeared in the anime in a full role, I could have seen anime May interacting with him almost the same way as her ORAS counterpart. Then again Drew was in the anime during AG, so maybe not.

Can I join?

Well, I've always supported Male Protag/Female Protag pairings, and this one was no exception. It's just as cute as the others.

I'm currently playing Omega Ruby as May, and I love how much interactions she gets with Brendan. And Brendan called May his best friend after leaving the Cave of Origin, which I thought was cute.

I'd like to join too! I don't know that Hoennshipping is my all time favorite game shipping, but it's definitely up there!

First of all, Sapphire was the first game I ever really got into as a kid, so there's nostalgia. Also reading (And now writing!) Hoenn fanfiction really increased my fondness for them together. With ORAS, my love for them was rekindled. I played as May, and I really liked all of the interaction she got with Brendan. The games have tried to make friendship prevalent in the past, but this time they really did it without making Brendan seem annoying or overly forced. As many of you have already said, by the time I got to the Cave of Origin scene I was hooked

Sign me up!

It sort of started for me back when I played Sapphire version. I wasn't a huge fan of the shipping, but up until recent years I knew about it and didn't mind looking into communities that supported it. I think it was definitely shadowed by Contestshipping and Advanceshipping.

Enough about those days though. Alpha Sapphire definitely got me into it. The dialogue and cut scenes made me more aware of the ship, and just made the game a more engrossing experience in general. The facial expressions also add a lot to the experience. Playing as Brenden, May's reactions are classic. There are so many shippy situations throughout the entire game between those two. In the original games for the GBA, we really only had dialogue to go by. I'm not dissing those games by any means of course.
    I'm currently playing through Pokemon Blue Version. I'll hopefully be buying White 2 pretty soon.
    Feel free to send me a PM sometime

At first the pairing didn't interest me much back in the Gen 3 days since May's/Brendan's dialogue in the games wasn't too shippy, but after playing through OR/AS, I found May's interactions with the male playable character (Brendan) really adorable. Her constant blushing when she talks is cute and I really like the fact that it was implied that she likes Brendan. The ending scene from the game credits when May and Brendan walk home together in particular gave me major romance vibes.

After I frequently played Emerald back in the days and searching for some fan arts, I couldn't believe how cute they are when they're together. I still ship them today (duhh), and ORAS amplified my taste on this ship. For more details, see the above post.

FF.net

Spoiler:- Other Awarded Drabbles:

Hello everyone and welcome, I'll add you all in to the first post.

I have a topic here for you.

What was your favorite Hoennshipping moment from ORAS?

I have quite a few but I have to say, my favorite moment is definitely when Brendan/May arrives right before you go into the Cave of Origin. When they say that you're the best friend they've ever ever had, that was so cute and I couldn't stop myself from going, "they so like each other!" haha

The scene with the Beautifly right outside Petalburg was cute but that is definitely my favorite hint from ORAS.

This is a little tough to say since there were so many Hoennshipping moments in the games that it's hard to pick just one.

I think my personal favorite moment is the "date" from the end of the Delta episode. Every single scene was so cute, especially when May/Brendan were making faces in the Astronaut Suit in the Mosdeep Space Center. Oh, and the scene when they walked home together was definitely very shippy, if you ask me.

HOW CAN YOU EXPECT ME TO PICK JUST ONE? SERIOUSLY!

❤️ Pearlshipping | Agencyshipping | Hoennshipping ❤️

I agree, it's really hard to just pick one Hoennshippy moment in the entire game.

But my most favorite moment is in the beginning, when Brendan enters May's house and they talk (well, it's only May who's talking). During that moment, when she finally realized what she's talking about her and him becoming friends, she blushes. That's when I realized, "Ooohhhh... This is gonna turn out really great...". Anyway, it was the only moment where she displayed her shyness to him by blushing, and it was the cutest moment I found in the entire game. The other one I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) is after the Groudon/Kyogre incident, where she blushed, but not with shyness. It seems that she has gained confidence when she is around Brendan.

FF.net

Spoiler:- Other Awarded Drabbles:

It's so hard to pick one, to be honest.

I really love the date at the end of the delta episode when we got to see May making faces in the astronaut thing in the Mosdeep Space Center. That was really cute. The scene with the Beautifuly in the beginning were really cute as well. But that scene in front of the Cave of Origin was so shippy, if you ask me.

There were just so many Hoennshipping moments in ORAS, it is seriously so hard to pick just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mizz Nikki View Post
    Hello everyone and welcome, I'll add you all in to the first post.

I have a topic here for you.

Spoiler:- Delta Episode:

There are sooo many to choose from! It's really a toss up between the scene during the climax of the main story in front of the Cave of Origin; ending scene after you beat Steven for the first time and the post credit scenes that follow; and of course, Delta Episode's ending. There were so many times where I wished the game would never end because I honestly wanted to see more Brendan/May interaction... And the music for each of their encounter was just so perfect, it made my bottom lip quiver. I would restart my game just to relive those moments again because it just doesn't feel the same when you watch it on a YouTube video... But then again, I'm going off-topic. Haha! But yes, definitely a toss up from the three I listed, but I guess it just has to be Delta Episode because it really is the last you'd experience of Brendan/May story-wise.

Like pretty much everyone else has said, it's basically impossible to choose! Every meeting was so much better than the ones in the original. If I had to go with one, I think I'd also pick the one right after the Cave or Origin, but honorable mentions go Brendan (Or May) saying he was worried after the player saves the meteorite and of course to the moment after the Delta Episode.

This is probably a reallyyy stupid question, but how to we add fan fiction, fan art, etc? I know of some cute fan fictions, but they're on ff.net. I'm new, so excuse my obliviousness!

Quote Originally Posted by Alphinia View Post
    This is probably a reallyyy stupid question, but how to we add fan fiction, fan art, etc? I know of some cute fan fictions, but they're on ff.net. I'm new, so excuse my obliviousness!
    Welcome to forums. If you need anything, you can always send me a PM and I'll answer it to the best of my abilities.

You mean adding it into the first post? Your best would be to message the link to the owner of the thread and she'll add it in as soon as she can. If they're not yours however, I would say not to unless it's okay with the person who made them, just to be safe.

Hope that helps.

I have a topic.

Has your views on this ship changed at all since playing the ORAS games?

Well, I did say in my first post here that I was not a supporter of this ship when playing the original games. But ORAS has definitely turned me into a Hoennshipper. They heavily hinted this ship in the games, it's crazy. How could I not support it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast