Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hoenn VS. Kanto and FR/LG Vs. R/S/E

Default Hoenn VS. Kanto and FR/LG Vs. R/S/E

I've done this thread before but I want more input now that Ruby and Sapphire has practically hit 10 years along with Fire Red and Leaf Green. After many playthroughs of both games I think I finally prefer Sapphire and Ruby over LG and FR. My Reasoning:

1. Amazing Music, Great Themes

2. Great Environments and Mapping. (Kanto seems crammed up)
    Examples; Slateport City, Dewford Town, Route 114

3. Weather Changes

4. Battle Tower and Battle Frontier

5. Two Rival Teams, Two Rivals

Hoenn Cons

1. Too much water

2. Weak Rivals

3. Gets Boring

What do you guys think? I prefer RSE a lot more.
    All credit for this banner goes to Red's Mount Silver Art Shop at Bulbagarden

All the Generation III are alike in so many ways it is hard to compare them. In my personal opinion, I prefer R/S/E but I enjoyed FR/LG too.
    -Hoenn was far more creative in mapping designs. There were volcanoes, OCEANS, and cities with original ideas.
    -The music was catchy and was a masterpiece in my eyes.
    -There was much to do. (Contests, Battle Frontier, Trick House, Diving, and Secret Bases, etc.)
    -An actual plot. (Environmental terrorists trying to transform the world, not trying to steal Pokemon.)
    -Far more creative Pokemon. (A bit of a opinion but, a bird that gains an extra head upon evolution. Or a magnet that becomes 3 is not that creative.)

Negatives
    -Too many island-like places and Oceans.
    -Yeah, the Rival is just quits battling you at the Department Store.

FR/LG
    -Enhanced remake of a classic game.
    -Sevii Islands

Negatives
    -A rather linear game. (Not many extra features.)

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity; when many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion."
    - Robert Pirsig
    “The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”
    ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
    I post here occasionally despite the fact I no longer play Pokemon.

I prefer RSE for some reasons

1. Your rival isn't very cocky, and doesn't fight you in the middle of a death burial tower.
    2. RSE is much, much more interesting in designs.
    3. FRLG is rather... disappointing. There's literally no additional features bar beefed up graphics.
    4. Weather, 'nuff said.
    5. Better plotline (though both plotlines aren't that good, when compared to later games, DPPt and BW/BW2)
    6. Mini-games. FRLG was kind of boring with only battling, battling and battling. Personally, contests made RSE more interesting and less battle oriented.
    7. Better Post-Game stuff, especially in Emerald. Sevii Island wasn't that entertaining, to be honest.
    8. Much, much harder gyms. I had like, no trouble taking down the first 7 gyms in FRLG. Though in RSE... *shivers* Flannery

Credits to Sworn Metalhead

ASB Squad

Agreed I wish FR/LG had some more content. Of course there was no third game maybe they could have integrated the Orange Islands instead of the Sevii? I don't know it just seemed kind of bland

I prefer FR/LG better than RSE because of the following reasons:

1)One of the best rivals compared to the boring rivals.
    2)You have places to train after Elite 4.
    3)Post-Game is much better with Sevii Islands rather than a bunch of Battle Facilities I knew I can never defeat.
        Spoiler:- Completed and Current Playthroughs:

I actually prefer Emerald and its Battle Frontiers. I know I can never succeed, but...
    Tonight, I wanna dance with someone else ~

It's really hard because I love both games so much, but in the end, I prefer RSE over FRLG.

RSE:
    - Ruby was one of my first experiences in pokémon.
    - Double Battles.
    - Weather.
    - Pokémon Contests.
    - Creative routes and cities: desert, ocean, ashes, Sootopolis City, Fortree... The maps are really amazing!
    - Some of the best musics in the series. Dive Theme, Route 133, Slateport... <3
    - Nice puzzles in the gym leaders and Trick House.

FRLG:
    - Nostalgic value for those who played RBY in the Game Boy.
    - Gary is a great rival.
    - Sevii Islands are nice.
    - The gym leaders.
    White 2:

out of all of them i like emerald the best. i prefer firered and leafgreen over ruby and saphire m so ostly cuz i 1st started with my yellow versian when i was 3 so firered bought back good memories

Les go lol RSE FTW. Mad respect to FR/LG though and I'm going to replay it soon.

i prefer r/S/e as games, but I think both are tied for me as regions.

R/S/E is a more complicated, interesting experience, and the region is awesome, but Kanto is so nostalgic
    I can smell u

Hoenn was a Pretty Good region, but after HgSS and meeting red, I just have to go with Kanto

i prefer r/S/e a liilte more though
    [IMG]http://oi42.*******.com/no61ic.jpg[/IMG]

Credits to FairyWitch for the buttons and Sworn Metalhead for the Userbar!

I thought R/S/E were better games because the storylines were better/more creative than those of FR/LG. I also preferred the music; it just sounded fresh and carefree. There are some cons though. I thought the trainers were weak and there weren't that many good training spots. Also the lack of things to do post Elite Four made the games kind of boring; this was more of a problem in R/S than in Emerald though. Still, the pros outweigh the cons imo.

I really can't decide which is better. R/S/E has a better story IMO but FR/LG had a better region overall. Both games have their weak and strong points and it's really hard to pick one over the other.

Credits to Sworn Metalhead for the awesome banner!

For me, it is even between R/S and FR/LG. They are all great games, I can't really pick a favorite out of them. But when we add Emerald, the Hoenn games are the clear winner. To me, Emerald is clearly the best game from the third generation, and one of the best games from all of the series. So I'll go with R/S/E here, but I still think FR/LG are great games.
    We both break free if we make it on top
    If one should fall we both will drop

We move together from here on out
    What you need is what I'm about

R/S/E rule especially w/ the pokemon. But I like LG/FR too, you cant really hate classics.
    X FC: Cutty 2449 6004 1037

Wee... Poison slide at my gym...

Pokegyms Fairy Leader

Credit to Astral Shadow for the userbar and Kida-Ookami for the badge.

Emerald was better.
    I had a hard time with some of the gyms, but fr/lg was nothing.

The thing about R/S/E was the water.
    I hated the water
    [img]http://i41.*******.com/2m2fivq.png[/img]
    Lovely Art by Equal-to-Heaven
    Join the Pokemon Anime Style Battling League!
    |PASBL|FB|Manga|A little something to watch|Art|
    [img]http://i42.*******.com/2lw4umr.gif[/img]

RSE is better than FR/LG but HGSS is better than RSE for me. What it all comes down to is replayability and extra content for me. HGSS has Red, The Elite 4 at higher levels, daily trainers and side quests that always wants to make you come back for more something RS lacked but Emerald failed to expand on I feel

Region
    As much as I like Kanto, the region of Hoenn seems much more diverse. There is a more overt emphasis on nature and exploration than in the previous.
    In game, however, Hoenn is a bit of a nightmare to traverse. The order in which you reach the towns is counter-intuitive, and of course
    we have those darn sea routes...SO MANY!!! (I did like diving, however.)
    There were also long stretches without rest areas or healing, as opposed to FR/LG where routes are smaller and there are only about 1 or 2 between each town.
    Story
    As for story, neither is really deep, but I do prefer Team Rocket over Aqua/Magma. Their motivations are simple, and their activities included genetic tampering, racketeering/gambling, corporate takeover, and Poke-murder.
    That plot twist of Giovanni being a gym leader was also pretty awesome. For me, Aqua/Magma's motivation was a bit flimsy. They each want to better the world by expanding the sea/land, which already is questionable and when Groudon and Kyogre clash, they just kind of fade out of the picture. I wish there was more elaboration on what they planned to do. Their designs are cool though.
    Post-Game
    In short, RSE very little. FRLG Sevii Islands.
    My overall preference is FRLG, but RSE is still impressive.

It's very hard to decide... in terms of plot, FRLG is better but when it comes to the region and Pokemon, RSE

Spoiler:- Credits::

- please excuse my shoddy syntax for some reason I don't know.

For me it is RSE it has
    a better storyline(two rival teams both centered around legendary Pokemon)
    Wide range of diverse environments(desert, rainforest, sea, mountains, caves)
    More Pokemon to battle
    More stuff to do (contests, battle frontier)
    More content (such as berries)

cons of the games are
    rival gives up pretty easily (really last battle after the sixth gym with team mid 30's)
    level grinding a lot
    Last Pokemon gym and elite four were very under leveled compared to other regions (beside Johto)
    No upgrade for elite four after completing game (After you re-battle all the gym leaders they will be stronger than the champion not smart a t all gamefreak)
    too much sea route for too little a range of water Pokemon (Damn you tentacool!)

Definitely Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. It is my favorite Pokemon game, and third favorite game of all time. The region was probably the best, and the Pokemon were also very good.

Don't get me wrong, I really like FireRed/LeafGreen .
    *Insert Some Cool Image Here*

It's quite predictable that R/S/E will be better than FR/LG in everything except the Nostalgia Kanto provides due of R/B/Y memories.

I love all of them!! But I prefer RSE since Ruby is my first game and it is really special to me. I love FRLG too! LG was the third Pokemon game that I played and it was awesome! My favourite region is Hoenn than Kanto than Unova. Johto is great too but I didn't really liked Sinnoh..

Gonna have to go with Hoenn. Sure I enjoyed Kanto and its nice, but Hoenn had me with its Pokemon. My team rotates so often because I have a lot of favorites on that gen. Also its music is lovely, I like every single one of the routes music as well as the battles XP
    3DS: 1779-0094-0137

Credit to Sworn Metalhead

I like Hoenn better because of much superior storyline, more water routes, more open areas, and more variety of Pokémon whereas Kanto seems a bit jammed together. Both are very good regions, however.

~ashiemore
    I really need something to put here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast