Thread: Redone Platinum/Pearl Wifi Team

Default Redone Platinum/Pearl Wifi Team

I have altered my wifi team, so hopefully it is better. All images from Bulbapedia.

At a Glance:
    Yeah, several OUs, but whatever.

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Ability: Motor Drive
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunderpunch
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch

Pysical Sweeper. Mainly for covering a large range of types.

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Flame Body
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SP. ATk, 252 SPD, 4 SP. DEF
    - Flamethrower
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic

Special Sweeper. Best with making Electivire Faster in Double Battles.

Salmence @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Intimidate
    Nature: Jolly
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break

Another Physical Sweeper whos EV's were messed up during training.

Crobat @ Black Sludge
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SP.Def
    - U-Turn
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Steel Wing
    - Cross Poison

Yet another Physical Sweeper.

Torterra @ Enigma Berry
    Ability: Overgrow
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SPD
    - Stealth Rock
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Wood Hammer

Physical Wall. Excellent for chipping down opponents while holding its ground.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252, 252 SP. DEF, 4 SPD
    - Substitute
    - Softboiled
    - Aromatherapy
    - Double Edge

Special Wall.

I am open to all suggestions, as I am still rather new to Competitive Battling.

3DS Friend Code: 2535-4249-2325
    PM me if you add me for X and Y so I can add you too! I apparently give Sandile, Nuzleaf, and Liepard in the Friend Safari.

Quote Originally Posted by >Entei< View Post

Electivire @ Life Orb
    Ability: Motor Drive
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 HP
    - Cross Chop
    - Thunderpunch
    - Fire Punch
    - Ice Punch

It is slower than glass cannons and suicide leads and has sucky defenses. They'll be able to take it down.

The bulky leads that don't have a x4 weakness also won't care.

Either it's slower and it's beaten down, or it's faster but too weak. Really bad lead. It just gives the opponent the opportunity to do lots of set up.

Also missing 2 EVs.

Pysical Sweeper. Mainly for covering a large range of types.

Magmortar @ Choice Specs
    Ability: Flame Body
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SP. ATk, 252 SPD, 4 SP. DEF
    - Flamethrower/Overheat
    - Thunderbolt
    - Focus Blast
    - Psychic/HP Ice

Special Sweeper. Best with making Electivire Faster in Double Battles.

Ok, but this isn't a double battle. And they'd be HORRIBLE partners because of the shared ground weakness.

There's nothing wrong with the set. I just question how useful it is. Adding another ground weakness certainly doesn't help.

Overheat for more damage and because Mas switches often. HP Ice because Psychic isn't useful.

Salmence @ Yache Berry
    Ability: Intimidate
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break/anything else

Another Physical Sweeper whos EV's were messed up during training.

You can reduce EVs with the proper berries and re-do them as long as it isn't at level 100. You're missing 6 EVs.

Unless you're really worried about screens, use something other than Brick Break.

Crobat @ Black Sludge/Choice Band
    Ability: Inner Focus
    EVs: 252 ATK, 252 SPD, 4 SP.Def
    - U-Turn
    - Zen Headbutt
    - Steel Wing
    - Cross Poison

Yet another Physical Sweeper.

With a base 90 attack, it's a pretty crappy sweeper with really bad coverage for attacks. U-Turn is useful due to switching, but everything else needs to go.

If you're going to use it for physical attacking, you need Choice Band. Pursuit for those switching out, Brave Bird for STAB. Cross Poison can be kept, but only because Crobat doesn't have much else.

Torterra @ Enigma Berry/Leftovers
    Ability: Overgrow
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 DEF, 4 SPD
    - Stealth Rock/Earthquake
    - Leech Seed
    - Substitute
    - Wood Hammer

Physical Wall. Excellent for chipping down opponents while holding its ground.

Shut down by Taunt. That's not too much of a threat if their starter is still around, but it's something to consider. You don't list anything to suggest that this guy is planned on coming out early, so ditch Stealth Rock for STAB Earthquake.

Blissey @ Leftovers
    Ability: Serene Grace
    EVs: 252, 252 SP. DEF, 4 SPD
    - Substitute
    - Softboiled
    - Aromatherapy
    - Double Edge

Special Wall.

Yeah, this just sucks. Double Edge? Really?

I am open to all suggestions, as I am still rather new to Competitive Battling.
    This is 6 Pokemon thrown together with no rhyme or reason. And at least two (Blissey and Crobat) suffer from being-different-for-the-sake-of-being-different. Using a "unique" set isn't worth it when the Pokemon sucks at doing it. And as someone said from the last thread, it's painfully obvious you're just using the Magmortar and Vire from PBR.

Shared weaknesses hurt this team too:

3 weak to ice

Two to ground

two to electric

Your formatting is also poor. At least a few EVs are missing from each, and I hope some are at least mislabeled.

This team pretty much has no hope. You need to start reading on competitive battling, and lurk more.
    I'm part of the staff at Project Pokemon! Smod in forums, AOP in IRC, Administrator on Shoddy. Come visit us. Our Project is Pokemon!

The hell you talking about, randomspot? This Blissey set is the best Blissey set.

my blissey moveset is beset in my opinion:
    Softboiled
    Aromatherapy
    Thunderbolt
    Ice Beam

I think its a nice little surprise for people switching in expecting no real attacks
    GO REDSOX!!!!GO PATRIOTS!!!!GO CELITICS!!!!

Bros wit black-belt blaziken!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend A_K View Post
    The hell you talking about, randomspot? This Blissey set is the best Blissey set.
    I really hope you're being sarcastic here. If not, then you should be pilloried for even suggesting that the best set for a special WALL involves a recoil inducing physical move working off a base Attack of 10.
    Diamond FC: TOMMY - 2707 1086 3415

I guess he's sarcastic especially for his other posts
    Don't know anything now. Yep, even less than before.

Where are the Certified Raters?

Actually, I was being sarcastic. The best Blissey set obviously requires a choice band.

Quote Originally Posted by randomspot555 View Post
    Shared weaknesses hurt this team too:

3 weak to ice

Two to ground

two to electric

Your formatting is also poor. At least a few EVs are missing from each, and I hope some are at least mislabeled.

This team pretty much has no hope. You need to start reading on competitive battling, and lurk more.
    2 pokes nullify Ground and a 3rd resists. 2 pokes null Electric. Ice is really his only problem here and he can solve that with a Weavile lead to some extent. Otherwise Scarftran and Empoleon have x4 resist. You missed the 3 weak to Rock, btw. Empoleon has x2 resistance to that. How to solve? Go with a lead Crobat and then switch Magmortar for Empoleon since they both are good specs users/special sweepers. Magmortar may resist a lot, Fire, Bug, Grass, Ice, and Steel, but Empoleon resists all but Grass and only takes neutral damage to it. Problem solved lol.
    Actually, I was being sarcastic. The best Blissey set obviously requires a choice band.
    Stop posting just to get your posts up. I didn't have to do that and I have one of the highest post counts/time on ratio lol.
        Spoiler:- Spoiler:

Quote Originally Posted by randomn00b View Post
    Any team with Electivire is not Electric weak.
    Just thought I'd quote that (It's like 5 months old though).

Randomspot covered it pretty much completely. I recommend the Nasty Plot Crobat. I mean Steel+Poison+Psychic+Bug. If that isn't the worst coverage in the world xD. 4 moves yet nothing against steel types?

Or he could go with Brave Bird/Hypnosis/U-Turn/Giga Drain for an effective switching move pool.

Giga Drain just doesn't work... especially with two physical moves along side it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3n View Post
    Giga Drain just doesn't work... especially with two physical moves along side it.
    Helps him hit Water, Rock, and Ground better. Good thing to use against a Swampert and keeps this little dude alive. Seems weird but it actually can work quite well since he outruns most sweepers and can pray on their low defenses.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys29 View Post
    Helps him hit Water, Rock, and Ground better. Good thing to use against a Swampert and keeps this little dude alive. Seems weird but it actually can work quite well since he outruns most sweepers and can pray on their low defenses.
    Helps against swampert?

Neutral Crobat Giga-Drain Vs. 240 HP Neutral Swampert = 36-43%.

That's a 4x weak poke and it barely reaches 130 damage. Giga Drain is a really bad move. You need a SpA like Gengar's to even consider it (Purely for Swampy). Air Slash/HP Ground/Dark Pulse gets the best coverage.

Quote Originally Posted by Rad3n View Post
    Helps against swampert?

Neutral Crobat Giga-Drain Vs. 240 HP Neutral Swampert = 36-43%.

That's a 4x weak poke and it barely reaches 130 damage. Giga Drain is a really bad move. You need a SpA like Gengar's to even consider it (Purely for Swampy). Air Slash/HP Ground/Dark Pulse gets the best coverage.
    Who said you're running no Sp.A EV's? But yes, the set is kinda gimmicky but it does work at times. Nasty Plot Crobat is kind of a waste though, seeing as many pokes can do it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhys29 View Post
    Stop posting just to get your posts up. I didn't have to do that and I have one of the highest post counts/time on ratio lol.
    I like to think that I'm contributing in my own special way. By 6th gen. choice band Blissey will be uber. You can quote me on that.

i think i will

also for the crobat maybe

hypnosis
    uturn
    thief
    cross poison
    I like to think that I'm contributing in my own special way. By 6th gen. choice band Blissey will be uber.

Quote Originally Posted by myself View Post
    i think i will
    You, my good sir, shan't be disappointed.

i think i will

also for the crobat maybe

hypnosis
    uturn
    thief
    cross poison
    Why Thief and why Cross Poison? Switch Cross Poison for Brave Bird (OHKO's Infernape and other pesky fighters as well as Grass, which is the only thing poison is good against) and maybe Taunt for Thief.

thief to get rid of leftovers on bulky things and u-turn that bulky's counters
    cross poison to poison things and its a stab that has decent power but doesnt recoil
    I like to think that I'm contributing in my own special way. By 6th gen. choice band Blissey will be uber.

thief to get rid of leftovers on bulky things and u-turn that bulky's counters
    cross poison to poison things and its a stab that has decent power but doesnt recoil
    Theif only works when you have no item. You don't have an item? Well then you are not using him to his full potential. Cross Poison: 70 BP, Brave Bird 120 BP with better coverage. He has a healing item so he's fine. Plus Crobat is meant to hit hard and fast, not slowly whittle the opponent's Hp down. If you are suggesting he rid himself of U-Turn you are a fool lol.

Brave Bird and Hypnosis are incompatible egg moves. I agree that theif is pointless on this Crobat. You should use the Smogon articles, >Entei<.
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyB View Post
    Once, I bought one of those mushroom cheeseburgers at Burger King whilst traversing the streets of Amsterdam on vacation. Suffice it to say, the Mario games made a whole lot more sense after that.
    I am Staraptor Call on Smogon.
    Claimed: The flying, space-rending, exploding dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Ditto_256 View Post
    Brave Bird and Hypnosis are incompatible egg moves. I agree that theif is pointless on this Crobat. You should use the Smogon articles, >Entei<.
    God, I always forget that!!! So you have to choose between Crobat's best attack or an innacurate statuser.