Thread: The Chess Club

Default The Chess Club

The Chess Club!

Depicted above is the Immortal Game of 1851, played during a tournament break between Adolf Andersson (White in the gif, as he had the right of the first move, but accounts say he played with the black pieces) and Lionel Kieseritzky (Black).

"The beauty of a move lies not in its appearance but in the thought behind it." - Aaron Nimzowitsch

Hello, reader, and welcome to the Chess Club, a club dedicated to the play, discussion and practice of the world's most popular and most beautiful board game. Here, you can discuss literally anything about chess, be it from the Grandmasters to the openings. For those of you who have (somehow) never heard of this game, and are interested in learning more, the rules and history of this richly complex game can be found here.

RULES

1. All SPPF rules apply, and can be found here.
    2. Be respectful of other player's knowledge and playing ability. Not everyone is a Grandmaster!
    3. Please don't spam. Posts should bring good discussion.
    4. To join, simply post in the thread asking to join and answer this question: What do you like most about chess? to me via PM (to avoid clutter, but your answer will sit by your name in the user list).
    5. Be active. I will remove you from the club if you don't post at least once every two weeks (though do let me know if you'll be away for some time and I'll excuse you, provided valid reasoning is given ie "I'm going on holiday" or something like that).
    6. Have fun.

USERLIST
        Spoiler:- userlist:

No banners yet, but we have one in the making!

CHESS TOURNAMENTS

On the last day of every month, I will be holding a chess tournament on Lichess.org, which you can all join! The format and time control will be determined a week before the set day via strawpoll.

Opening of the Month

Evan's Gambit

Let me take you back to the 1800's, particularly around 1851. This was the Romantic era of chess, before Steinitz became world champion, where play was extremely aggressive; material sacrifices for an overwhelming attack was commonplace. 1851 was also the first world chess tournament, with the winner being Adolf Anderssen. Anyway, back on track. During this time, this opening was popular, first used by Captain Adams, although a different move order was chosen instead of 1.e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bc4 Bc5 4. b4. Today, I will be focusing on what happens when black accepts this gambit of the b pawn.

The Evan's Gambit is the perfect example of a gambit and its purpose; should black accept this b pawn, white will gain tempo and time at the expense of the bishop, as well as allowing for swifter development for white. As one of the only truly sound gambits, up there with the Smith Morra and the Benko Gambit (remember that the Queen's Gambit is not a true gambit!) the compensation for the b and often d pawn proves sufficent. After 4... Bxb4, the universally played move next is 5. c3, kicking the bishop and already gaining a tempo, preparing a d2-d4 thrust. There are two notably popular retreats for black here, one of the more common of which being 5... Ba5, ensuring the c pawn is pinned after d2-d4. However, often this thrust is played anyway. After 6.d4, the most common move is exd4, and now white has 2 options. White could simply castle, unpinning his c pawn and plans to play Qb3, but play is achieved faster with the move 7.Qb3 right away. White has now created a Bishop and Queen battery, targeting the weak square f7. Black has multiple ways to defend, ie Qf6, but after future exchanges on d4 white will have a very powerful attack in the long run, worth his/her 2 gambit pawns.

The other popular retreat is 5... Be7, tried by many. It puts the Bishop on a less active square for now in hopes for it to play a bigger role later. However, as the c pawn is not pinned, d4 can be played without gambiting the d pawn. After 6... Na5, many variations exist, but my favourite is 7.Be2, tried by Kasparov in his 1995 game vs Anand.

Try this opening!

Previous Monthly Openings

Spoiler:- Previous Weekly Openings:

Last edited by Minedreigon; 25th August 2015 at 8:31 PM. Reason: For some reason I quoted Aron's name

I will join this club since Chess is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGiftedFlareon View Post
    I will join this club since Chess is awesome.
    Accepted. Welcome aboard, first member! Feel free to start any form of chess discussion as soon as you'd like.

Ahem. I think the strategy of Chess is merely complex to a mere individual at first, but once you get the hang of certain strategies, it's quite easy to get into.
    Last edited by TheGiftedFlareon; 16th August 2015 at 12:01 PM.

Ahem. I think the strategy of Chess is merely complex to a mere individual at first, but once you get the hang of certain strategies, it's quite easy to get into.
    It's easy to become addicted to chess, it took me one week and one tournament as I was hooked. Funnily enough it took mankind approximately 1600 years to play it competitively since it's earliest records from 200 AD India. To actually play and be good at chess is an entirely different matter. It's so vastly complex that even following principles such as "A knight on the rim is dim!" Or "Don't' make too many pawn moves in the opening", chess has an incredibly steep learn curve. I can't even pretend to be good at chess but I want to be. He's a little tippit for you. Playing over the board chess in a local club or even a cafe with someone more knowledgable on the game will do you 10x as good than playing online or watching a chess video. At least, that's what some National Master told me.

Introducing OPENING OF THE WEEK, which will begin next Monday, the 17th of August. I will give very brief coverage on opening variations. You'll all learn something and hey, so will I!

I see. Gosh, you're extremely into this game, and I strive to become better at it in all honesty. I've been watching videos and bonded with others over this game because of well, reasons, and I tend to do it for the mere fun rather than competitively to be honest haha... The history too is merely interesting, I find it fascinating in many regards.

Oh? Okay, I'll stay up to date with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Minedreigon View Post
    [CENTER]The Chess Club!

Depicted above is the Immortal Game of 1851, played during a tournament break between Adolf Andersson (White in the gif, as he had the right of the first move, but accounts say he played with the black pieces) and Lionel Kieseritzky (Black).

"The beauty of a move lies not in its appearance but in the thought behind it." - Aaron Nimzowitsch

Hello, reader, and welcome to the Chess Club, a club dedicated to the play, discussion and practice of the world's most popular and most beautiful board game. Here, you can discuss literally anything about chess, be it from the Grandmasters to the openings. For those of you who have (somehow) never heard of this game, and are interested in learning more, the rules and history of this richly complex game can be found here.
    Finally!!
    Thanks dude for starting this thread! I always wonder why people who like to play Pokémon are not also good playing chess.
    I was used to play chess back in high-school... but when I came to Canada I (sadly) realised how unpopular is the game here
    I'm not ranked or a pro, but I'm trying to be updated.
    BTW, the world cup is coming!!

I see. Gosh, you're extremely into this game, and I strive to become better at it in all honesty. I've been watching videos and bonded with others over this game because of well, reasons, and I tend to do it for the mere fun rather than competitively to be honest haha... The history too is merely interesting, I find it fascinating in many regards.

Oh? Okay, I'll stay up to date with that!
    Ah, yes! The bolded is very important. Chess tournaments are also a social event. You make genuine friends at these tournaments and at chess clubs. Hell, Doctor John Nunn, a GM, met his German wife through chess! It's truly incredible because chess is multi cultural. Two people from China and the USA might not be able to communicate via spoken words, but they can look at a chess position and see exactly the same thing. It's great.

Also welcome aboard, Sheepy Lamby! Just PM me your favourite thing about chess and it'll go in the room intro. Also, Canada'? There are some important Canadian GMs. Ever heard of Duncan Suttles, a big Modern Defence exponent?
    Last edited by Minedreigon; 16th August 2015 at 11:35 PM.

Ah, yes! The bolded is very important. Chess tournaments are also a social event. You make genuine friends at these tournaments and at chess clubs. Hell, Doctor John Nunn, a GM, met his German wife through chess! It's truly incredible because chess is multi cultural. Two people from China and the USA might not be able to communicate via spoken words, but they can look at a chess position and see exactly the same thing. It's great.

Also welcome aboard, Sheepy Lamby! Just PM me your favourite thing about chess and it'll go in the room intro. Also, Canada'? There are some important Canadian GMs. Ever heard of Duncan Suttles, a big Modern Defence exponent?
    Thanks for welcoming dude
    Do you know Nunn??? :O Dude, you must be ranked.. are you?
    Suttles was one of the best ones here, but that was in the 80's right? I came to Canada just some years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheepy Lamby View Post
    Thanks for welcoming dude
    Do you know Nunn??? :O Dude, you must be ranked.. are you?
    Suttles was one of the best ones here, but that was in the 80's right? I came to Canada just some years ago.
    No, I don't know Nunn, I'm just a hopeless amateur. But that's the dream! Become a titled player! I just know a lot about Nunn. I know someone who knows IM Cyrus Lakdawala.

Yes, that's about when Suttles peaked but he's still alive. What he brought to the Modern Defence was incredibly important for the opening. I play it myself! I have Cyrus' book on it too. It's actually very good and instructive. I learned quite a bit. Still, Suttles' playing hasn't had quite the longevity of someone like Nigel Short, who was big in the 80's and remains strong in the top 100 today, as its oldest member at I believe... 49? EDIT: Nevermind his 50th was recent.
    Last edited by Minedreigon; 16th August 2015 at 11:56 PM.

No, I don't know Nunn, I'm just a hopeless amateur. But that's the dream! Become a titled player! I just know a lot about Nunn. I know someone who knows IM Cyrus Lakdawala.

Yes, that's about when Suttles peaked but he's still alive. What he brought to the Modern Defence was incredibly important for the opening. I play it myself! I have Cyrus' book on it too. It's actually very good and instructive. I learned quite a bit. Still, Suttles' playing hasn't had quite the longevity of someone like Nigel Short, who was big in the 80's and remains strong in the top 100 today, as its oldest member at I believe... 49? EDIT: Nevermind his 50th was recent.
    Sorry :P my bad. I hope (someday) to go back to competitive gaming.
    I think he liked open games, right? Please correct me but I feel Anand plays that style.
    Short is a great player despite his age, like Adams.

Sorry :P my bad. I hope (someday) to go back to competitive gaming.
    I think he liked open games, right? Please correct me but I feel Anand plays that style.
    Short is a great player despite his age, like Adams.
    Yeah, pretty sure, sounds right. Anand plays like that, yes, and look at his longevity! Truly a long lasting player. I reckon he'll be around even longer.

Michael Adams is important for me as one of the most relevant British GMs as of current. As a result he's one of my favourites. I aught to analyse more of his games in my daily study, it'd probably do me good!

Yeah, pretty sure, sounds right. Anand plays like that, yes, and look at his longevity! Truly a long lasting player. I reckon he'll be around even longer.

Michael Adams is important for me as one of the most relevant British GMs as of current. As a result he's one of my favourites. I aught to analyse more of his games in my daily study, it'd probably do me good!
    Of course! The problem (I think) is not even him can equal Carlsen. Otherwise he (Anand would be the undisputed champion)
    What do you like about Adams? Hehe... Short is like the Kardashian of Chess...he made the world of chess shudder after his issues with the late Tony Miles

Well, I do not see in sign up form so I'm guessing I just have to say that I want to join this club? If yes, then, I'm in!

Chess has been a favorite game since I realized that one of the champions, Viswanathan Anand is from the same country as me. I've played Chess for years now, although not at any high level because of lack of opportunities. But anyway, I'm not all that very good and I really feel I'll learn a lot if I kept with the club, so, I'm in!

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. BLEU™ View Post
    Well, I do not see in sign up form so I'm guessing I just have to say that I want to join this club? If yes, then, I'm in!

Chess has been a favorite game since I realized that one of the champions, Viswanathan Anand is from the same country as me. I've played Chess for years now, although not at any high level because of lack of opportunities. But anyway, I'm not all that very good and I really feel I'll learn a lot if I kept with the club, so, I'm in!
    Hi and welcome!
    Hey! You talk about Anand. I'd say he and Magnus are the strongest players now. I think Anand will win the candidates tournament next year. Do you think it's going someone can beat him in that event?

Hi and welcome!
    Hey! You talk about Anand. I'd say he and Magnus are the strongest players now. I think Anand will win the candidates tournament next year. Do you think it's going someone can beat him in that event?
    Well, as I said, I just play the game. I do not follow these games too deeply. Then again, being in India, preference is given to cricket, football etc so Chess is never aired at all. So, I've got absolutely no idea at all. Though, it's a shame that No. 1 ranked player belongs to a country where the game itself is of no importance.

Quote Originally Posted by Lt. BLEU™ View Post

Yep, you're in. Just pm me your favourite thing about chess so I can put it in the room intro tomorrow morning, tired atm lol. I didn't know you played chess.

I reckon not next year but in several years time that Wei Yi kid could be a championship qualifier. He's seeming so great atm, youngest gm ever and all.

Yep, you're in. Just pm me your favourite thing about chess so I can put it in the room intro tomorrow morning, tired atm lol. I didn't know you played chess.

I reckon not next year but in several years time that kid could be a championship qualifier. He's seeming so great atm, youngest gm ever and all.
    That Wei Yi is only 16 y.o. What a prodigy. I agree, he'll be a serious contender in some years.
    China is already the strongest team of the world.

That Wei Yi is only 16 y.o. What a prodigy. I agree, he'll be a serious contender in some years.
    China is already the strongest team of the world.
    Of course he will. Some of his beautiful games are already being called immortals and he's just 16! Almost been a GM for 3 years too! I'd be really surprised if he doesn't at least play in a world championship match in the future.

UPDATE: I don't have enough time for the quality I intended for opening of the week, so it is now monthly. Also, I am going on a brief holiday,so sadly our first month will lack a tournament.

We understand your situation dude, no problem
    Is there any way this thread can be more visible in the forums list?