Thread: Comic Book Lovers Club

Default Comic Book Lovers Club

This club is for anyone who loves comic books. We'll discuss DC, Marvel, and others in here, and even Manga.

Spoiler:- Difference between american comics and manga as defined by...:

Spoiler:- RULES:

Spoiler:- MEMBERS:

Let's start this off with an easy topic

Who's your favorite Comic Book Hero and Why?

Mine is a pretty common pick, but still none less the same to me Batman.

I've been a fan of Batman as far back as I can remember, and be almost 25 now, that's a long time. I have my entire condo covered in Batman stuff, even stuff that's older than me, tons of Batman clothing. I wrote an English paper on how we treat comic books as the modern day Gods, and I had Batman as the main person in it. Also like Batman I know a lot of the stuff about my friend's and enemies and when stuff about them will come good in play, how to beat them if need be.

L.F.D.
    Last edited by Darato; 25th January 2015 at 1:21 AM.

I only have one f his comics (though I want them all), but I love Wade Wilson I know most of his history in the comics even though I don't have them.

R.I.P LEONARD NIMOY \V/_
    Help my babies grow? Go ahead and click on them!

I have claimed: InsanityLevel9000Shipping Wade Wilson/Deadpool (my soul mate <3) x Me, ShippingIsIllogicalShipping Mr. Spock x Me, Dragonborn, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Shadowmere, and your worst nightmare!

I feel a lot of people can do that nowadays with all the videos on YT, message boards, etc related to any given character.

I know a lot about random characters that have never even been shown in any for of animations

L.F.D.

Fixed your comic definition Spoiler - Can't say I'm in love with the content, as it's a block of text, and somewhat limited and inaccurate. I can write something up if you like.

Favorite hero is kind of a difficult question. If we're strictly looking at superheroes/detective type heroes, probably [one of the] Green Lantern[s] or Beast Boy. The dark hero, who probably could have been a villain, theme, is kind of overused, so it's nice when the good guy really is a good guy. Or when it turns out the villain really is a good guy. But as a lot of the comics I read are horror-action manga, they're not so likely to have a hero, per say, at least not as the main character. Death Note comes to mind, I guess L/Near/Mello are the 'heroes' but since it's from Light's POV, they're not so easy to identify with.
    Blog: Problematic Paranormal Files | Twitter: @CleverKraken

LLAP

Thanks for the fix.

I like the point you bring up about the hero could be the villain or vice versa, in a lot of things it's really a grey area, even more so with comics that get countless rewrites. Manga, that goes into all kinds of areas, we get all kinds of whose right and who's wrong type deals to look at.

Suicide Squad in DC comics; while the Justice League is dealing with issues they stop them before they happen. Granted they are forced to, but they still stop it and save lives in the end.

The debate between Jedi VS Sith and whose way of thinking is for the better, while the movies just show Sith as evil.

L.F.D.

Welcome.

Helsing's another Manga with grey areas. Alucard's the star 'good guy' but if you actually pay attention, he's really not good, just obedient. - I'm not sure dealing with problems different ways is quite the same, that's more genera. Superman is a super hero, while Batman is a detective hero.

That's interesting. I've never read any of the Star Wars comics (or books), but the movies certainly portray Sith as purely evil.

LLAP

I think my favorite parts of comics (and I warn you, this is a ridiculously girly thing) are when heroes and villains have a romantic relationship. And I don't just mean fan-fiction; I mean when a hero and villain genuinely care for one another, but the fact that one tries to do bad while the other is dedicated to good keeps them apart. "Mature" attraction counts kinda, but I am more interested when it is a soul-to-soul connection and less body-to-body. Does that make sense? The best example I have isn't comic related, though, so I'll keep it for another thread perhaps. A good comic example is the relationship between Batman and Catwoman. Although, going along with the villains are not necessarily bad guys, Catwoman is not always a villain.

As for the Jedi vs Sith way of thinking, I do like that the Jedis resort to violence and fighting as the last possible option (thought the movies don't really make it look that way since someone has a saber out every ten minutes) but I do think that the Siths have it right when they talk about passion. A little too power-hungry for me, but I respect the passion.
    Last edited by A_wild_CHARIZARD; 27th December 2014 at 4:37 AM.

R.I.P LEONARD NIMOY \V/_

I have claimed: InsanityLevel9000Shipping Wade Wilson/Deadpool (my soul mate <3) x Me, ShippingIsIllogicalShipping Mr. Spock x Me, Dragonborn, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Shadowmere, and your worst nightmare!

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    That's interesting. I've never read any of the Star Wars comics (or books), but the movies certainly portray Sith as purely evil.
    Yeah one of my good friends is a big star wars fan and she tells me all about it, than if you look online you can see more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by A_wild_CHARIZARD View Post
    is the relationship between Batman and Catwoman. Although, going along with the villains are not necessarily bad guys, Catwoman is not always a villain.
    I need to agree with this part right here. Batman and Catwomen are one of my most favorite pairings. I like them in the Injustice Comic/Game where she was there for Alfred and Batman after Nightwing died, and how she risked her life with Superman to protect him.

Hope everyone's holiday went well.

What would you like to see happen in some of your favorite series

1:I think a mini series in DC comics with the heroes parents acting as the heroes would be awesome to see. We've already seen Thomas Wayne as a Batman, have seen Jor-El give advice for years, and know Hippolyta (Wonder Women's mother) can hold her own in fights, why not see that with some of the others.

2: Harley Quinn has had some major character changes, I think it would be nice to expand on them and even see Batman trust her more and maybe even at one point see her become part of the Bat Family.

3: An story line in what Professor X and Magneto switch places in where they see man kind and mutant kind.

4: An X-Men movie about other X-Men

All I can think of for now

L.F.D.

I don't know about favorites; but I'd like to see an alternate version of YuGiOh where they go with the original concept, rather then making it all about the cards. For like the first two books, the shadow games could be any game, which was a lot more interesting. Yami-Yugi also seemed more menacing back then too. I can't even bring myself read much of anything that happened after it became all about the cards and tournaments. (Which since the anime was always about the cards, I never bothered to watch it.)

A lot of my favorite series are finish or I'm not caught up. So mostly my answers would be, 'I want --- v2.'

Apparently something I wanted happened quite a while ago, and I just never found out (as I was no longer walking past a book store everyday), there's a sequel to 'Until the Full Moon'. I don't generally read a lot of romance, but I got sucked into that one.

LLAP

It's a fan-made web comic, but holy crap is SUPER EFFECTIVE funny! Green is sort of violent... In a crazy, over-the-top kind of way, but it makes her more endearing somehow. I'd like for an actual humorous version of the Pokemon manga like this, but it'd never happen. If you read SUPER EFFECTIVE, you know why.

I'm looking forward to the Deadpool movie being made, and they better not screw him up like they did in X-Men Origins (that's the right film, right?) because no one messes with Wade like that >:( Seriously! The Merc with a Mouth with no mouth? The "leaked" trailer footage was amaaaaziiiiinnng <3 If they don't screw him over, I'm going to adore this movie... Might still even if they do, because Deadpool.

The storyline with Magneto and Prof X switching awesome. 10/10 would totally watch/read.

R.I.P LEONARD NIMOY \V/_

The Deadpool movie feels like it would be with Superman movies, either he's over powered or underpowered, but in this case need to put a limit on the stuff he does, to stay in the PG 13 rating thing, cause I can't see Marvel going R anymore.

L.F.D.

I hope they dare go R if inky because that's Deadpool. I loved his video game I think a quick, fourth-wall breaking summary of his backstory should be in place, but then I think it should be all puns, guns, and chimichangas from then on! They better not give him a love interest o.o I'll go all crazy jelly chick xD no jk but seriously, I don't feel like having Death interfere with the movie like she did the game. I was like "ok go away now"

R.I.P LEONARD NIMOY \V/_

I see no sign-up method (And I haven't joined a club on here in forever so are those even still common?) so I'm assuming we just have to post if we want to join.

Favorite hero? Actually it's Aquaman. I'll admit that at first it was just because he was a laughing stock in public opinion, but the more I learned about and saw of his character the more I liked him. In fact, New 52 Aquaman Volume 1 was the first comic I bought. He is an incredibly cool character both power-wise and personality-wise and I really like him (Which I why I really hope he is good in the movies and is one of the many reasons I hate the Big Bang Theory). Really, my tastes are a bit weird. I like Batman and Superman and Wolverine and all of the super high-profile, people-who-don't-know-what-a-comic-is-knows-them heroes but they really aren't among my favorites. My top five is something along the lines of Aquaman, Nightwing, Zatanna, Shazam, and Star Lord (Although that changes often. I've never even heard of the Guardians of the Galaxy or Star Lord before the movie so Star Lord is a recent addition).

Including manga, I still like Aquaman but Vash the Stampede has to be number one. He is an amazing character who I really like. And the fact his anime version is voiced by Johnny Yong Bosh only helps.

What would I like to see happen in my favorite series? Probably me actually catching up before doing so would cost an arm and a leg.

I've been picking up on comic history and stuff for years now so I have a pretty good understanding of the past, but I'm really lost on recent Marvel stuff other than Deadpool's marriage and almost all of my New 52 knowledge is Aquaman, Batfamily (Batfamily stuff that I really dislike at that. Seriously, Barbara Gordon got out of the wheelchair? Joker is becoming a rip-off of 80s horror monsters in an attempt to be super dark? And the Question not being Renee Montoya, although I'm not sure if the Question counts as Batfamily.), and Superman (Which is also mostly stuff I think was stupid. Seriously, Superman and Wonder Woman dating? I guess I can kind of see it with the superhero identities. But I can never see country mouse nice guy Clark Kent realistically hooking up with warrior princess Diana. I know it happened in Kingdom Come, but that series also had someone who regularly deals with Greek gods becoming a devout Christian so I doubt that is a good reference for Diana's character. And I also liked Lois Lane, and while I wasn't aware of him until after the reboot I actually like Steve Trevor. Frankly, if someone told me my information was outdated and Superman and Wonder Woman have broken up, I'd be glad. And what's with Pa and Ma Kent being dead? Is a hero having any family that aren't heroes themselves really that bad, DC?).

Quote Originally Posted by A_wild_CHARIZARD View Post
    I hope they dare go R if inky because that's Deadpool. I loved his video game I think a quick, fourth-wall breaking summary of his backstory should be in place, but then I think it should be all puns, guns, and chimichangas from then on! They better not give him a love interest o.o I'll go all crazy jelly chick xD no jk but seriously, I don't feel like having Death interfere with the movie like she did the game. I was like "ok go away now"
    I wouldn't mind some type of girl who looks as much like Harley Quinn as they can go for a quick little thing.
    Welcome to the club

I like all the thoughts you added with your post.

I don't really pay too much Superman and Wonder Woman dating doesn't bug me really, cause relationships in comics is a come and go thing. I mean even the set in stone ones venture out and view new things at times, so doesn't really mean this will last that long.

As for Batfamily, Aquaman and Question aren't
    members.

I do wonder where they are going with it now with Joker admitting he knows who The Bat Family is, VS the hints in the past he might know.

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim:

The Superman x Wonder Woman thing kind of threw me. I can't think of a logical reason they shouldn't be together (at least not until you mentioned the alt identities, Heartless), but if felt wrong.

I found a book store that sells manga, both untranslated and translated. I was really excited, but now that I can afford some new comics/manga, I just stand there until it's time to go, because don't know if I want to buy the slightly cheaper Japanese manga and translate them myself to improve my vocab, or just buy them in English and read though them quickly, but more at the same time more leisurely. There's benefits to both courses of action.

LLAP

Superman and Wonder Woman's daughter Lara from The Dark Knight Strikes Back.

PS: Word on the street is there working on a 3rd version of that series about Carrie Kelley.

I found a book store that sells manga, both untranslated and translated. I was really excited, but now that I can afford some new comics/manga, I just stand there until it's time to go, because don't know if I want to buy the slightly cheaper Japanese manga and translate them myself to improve my vocab, or just buy them in English and read though them quickly, but more at the same time more leisurely. There's benefits to both courses of action.
    what the price difference in your area?

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim:

Okay, that's another argument against them being together.

It's only a couple of bucks difference, so it's not like it'd be a big difference in the long run price-wise.

LLAP

Let's try a new topic

If you needed to put a put a Marvel charcter in the DC universe or a DC character in the Marvel universe at least for a while, who would you pick and why?

I'd put in Batman in the Marvel Universe, to see how he'd do with everyone attitude wise, get some banter between him and Ironman both on and off the field as business people and heroes, plus since a lot of Marvel herores are okay with killing would be a fun mix to see.

Magneto in the DC Universe. A change of pace for him with a world that isn't bent on hating people with powers, gives him time to see things in a different light and how he goes about things and see how he goes from there.

Two ideas I have for now

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim:

Who's your favorite Comic Book Hero and Why? Spiderman because I grew watching the old tv series and read some of the comics and felt I could relate to him, being a lot like Peter Parker.

Welcome Kevin Triforce.

Let's try a new topic

What do you think of the MCU, and the infinity stones

My opinion is, that they have a great opportunity here to do something great, and go down in movie history, but at the same time with how actors can be even with some of these big names they are getting in and getting bigger, and some actors who get worried of being typed cast something could happen to screw it up and it might end up like so many series of movies and TV shows that ended before we got to the ending they were going for.

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim:

Quote Originally Posted by Darato View Post
    What do you think of the MCU, and the infinity stones
    *Shrug* It doesn't feel like something that's being well explained in the movies/series, yet at least. But as a power source for insignificant humans to fight over, they're kind of cool. I still need to watch GotG.

I got some older comics recently, not worth much, and I tend to go for reading quality on used comics (as I don't believe in having velvet rooms, but people still ask me if I've even read my books when I loan them, which is like a red flag that the book will come back damaged), but I figured I should check that I knew what's considered proper storage. And well, I think it's actually kind of cool that the Library of Congress has a webpage about proper comic storage.

LLAP

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    *Shrug* It doesn't feel like something that's being well explained in the movies/series, yet at least. But as a power source for insignificant humans to fight over, they're kind of cool. I still need to watch GotG.
    Feel like they are getting to it bit by bit, and with GotG they seemed to set it up to get deeper into it.

And well, I think it's actually kind of cool that the Library of Congress has a webpage about proper comic storage.
    This alone should tell you how important comics are to the US if not the world.

So random thought.

How would you like to see a comic series based around the people we already know like Batman, Spider-Man etc,done in Manga style and vice versa?

Personally I think it would be fun to see, evne more so for the people that don't understand Manga

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim:

I'll need to watch that then.

I'm picturing manga chibi Batman, and it is freaking cute. Something else to draw when I have some spare time I suppose. I think it would be kind of neat to see how graphically and plot-wise the stories change between the western and eastern comic styles.

LLAP

http://www.dragoart.com/tuts/3768/1/...ibi-batman.htm

Would also be fun to see how stuff can be with different between the different characters; or even more so if they ended up doing a cross over with any of them. Justice League or Avengers traing Pokemon and battling each other

L.F.D.

Pokemon Claim: