Thread: Do you reuse old characters or start fresh?

Default Do you reuse old characters or start fresh?

The thread title says it all: Do you typically reuse characters you have already created in various Role-Plays or do you like making fresh, new ones each time?

For me, I personally like making new characters that fit into whatever setting the RP is about. Of course making new ones with different personalities each time can be be a challenge so there may be a day where I might reuse an old character I created in the past. For now though I'll stick to new characters as I've only created three-four I believe.
    Quote Originally Posted by R_N View Post
    we are being robbed of a dramatic wrys sweep of the entire bracket and for this i shall never forgive the developers

I usually keep the name and appearance of a character and give them one of seven ready made personalities that are stuck in my mind so that I can adapt my character to suit any setting and role
    Claimed Cheren!
    "The Leader Who Seeks the Right Path
    Everyone has a different dream. Search for your life's purpose"

I've got this little set of characters in my head that I pull from whenever RPs come up. For anyone who might be interested, this little roster includes: Fern (Legendary Awakening), Fenris (Broken Fairytale, Hero Academia), ALF (Broken Fairytale), Kite (The Island Shipwreck One), Luna (A LOT), Sullivan (Mythos), Valerie/Akane (same person, different name), Roy, and 17 (haven't used those three yet, I don't think). You might know some of them? IDK. I've already got personalities/appearances written out for them, so usually I just need to adapt or update those a little and write a history for the RPs I join. Funnily enough, about 5 of them started out as expys.

I sort of like this because I've grown sort of attached to these characters (some more than others), and I like adapting them to whatever comes up. For example, I've had Fern as a quiet, reserved, unexpressive girl, as well as a energetic, bouncy sort of character, while retaining some other characteristics like her tendency to drift off into thought, her desire for some sort of fantastical development in her life, and her (past) Chuunibyou tendencies. I find it fun. I've even got this little universe in my head where they all co-exist, and some of them have made it into novels I've tried to write (and usually failed).

Occasionally, when none of them fit into the world, or I want to try something new, I'd make a new one. But I feel like that'd be a rare occurence.
    Last edited by Vern; 25th April 2017 at 12:48 PM.

No, not really. I mostly come up with new characters for the situations the RP partakes in. I do, however, Often recycle traits, personality, names etc etc. Although I rarely ever use the Exact same character more than once. This is also because my own skills to write and come up with actual good things evolve with each SU. (imo. At least lol)

I have tried though. Although making the SU is half the fun imo.
    A common trait that more often than not runs in my SU's, however, is the douchebag/murderous psycopath character. I do so enjoy playing those.
    Last edited by Schade; 25th April 2017 at 1:15 PM.

"Oh! There is a terrible witch in that house who spewed her poison over me,
    and scratched me with her long fingernails."

Yes, I do. I actually have different characters for different kinds of RPs. I do have my favourites (Agatha Pridmore, Madde Pellerzi & Hagurumon to name a few) and I usually just tweak the backstories to suit the RP plot as needed, but on the odd occasion I do make a new character to give myself a little bit of a challenge like Fiona Lowe.
    Latest Shiny: - 1164 SRs (Pt)

Current Hunts: - 4000 SRs (FR/LG) | Route 114 - 6500 REs (R/S)

Yes. It's a great way to develop characters. Especially since most RPs die before a lot of them can be used to their fullest potential.

Presently, I have a cast of 11 characters I reuse for just about everything. Some of them have become infamous around the forum. xD I make a new character when I need to, but usually somebody I already have fits the bill of whatever the roleplay requires and I want to use.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 25th April 2017 at 1:57 PM.
    Banner made by American--Pi

3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

I make a new character almost every time. I have a couple that I've used more than once when the situation calls for it, but I tend to really enjoy making characters so I love making new ones.

なぜあなたはいつも嘘を言っているのですか?
    tumblr fizzy bubbles backloggery steam author/rp profile banner credit

I usually start fresh. Two reasons. First is I usually create a character to fit the current setting, plot, and in particular character group. I like to see what type of characters show up and then design a character I think would compliment the group nicely - which characters would my character get along with? Clash with? Potentially have a romance with? Stuff like that. If I start fresh each time, I can have a lot of control over those questions. The second reason is I like to branch out and play a lot of different personalities. You modify an existing character's personality and it isn't the same character anymore at all, especially from a writing standpoint - you may as well just start fresh.

I totally will reuse an existing character if I think they would fit the RP nicely and I feel in the mood to replay them. I just generally do not find myself in that situation.

~ ~
    [721/721]
    Gen VI dex complete! ...but now there is gen VII. ;-;
    FC: 1048 - 8845 - 0258

Quote Originally Posted by Tangeh View Post
    You modify an existing character's personality and it isn't the same character anymore at all, especially from a writing standpoint - you may as well just start fresh.
    If you're changing an existing character's personality that much, you're doing it wrong! :P When reusing a character, the basic elements that make them who they are usually remain the same. The only things that really change between RPs are history, and sometimes appearance. Personality usually stays the same.

Maybe it's different for me, because I'm an RPer that actually doesn't enjoy making SUs... I prefer actually RPing and showing personality that way.
    Last edited by Monster Guy; 27th April 2017 at 4:24 AM.
    Banner made by American--Pi

3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

I always run new characters, so that I don't either A: Fall into the same patterns over and over, or B: Make a super-special Mary Sue snowflake from ALL THE RPS! or some crap like that.
    Sometimes, it's not who, what, when or how. It's why.

For me, it depends on the RP. I do try to make new characters when I make sign-ups, but sometimes if I think a character from a discontinued RP would work better, I'll find a way to incorporate them in.

When it comes to characters that I have created for any RP on any forums, I don't think I have ever reused any of my old characters. Course if I was to reuse an old character of mine, it would probably be one from a dead RP if the new RP is set in the same universe as the dead one.

I guess I'm guilty of both. Most of the time, I'll create a new character since I'm addicted to writing sign ups and character farming. Oddly, I have a harder time making human characters, that's why I'm not involved in to many rps on here. My biggest cast of characters deal with the Digimon RPs: Civil War and Unholy Crusade.

Civil War
    Titus 'Finn' Cloudraker - Saviorhuckmon
    Sawyer - Garbagemon
    Ayas Animikii - Garudamon
    Ryia Rohirrim - Sleipmon
    Kova Escara - Jagerloweemon, he's more of a feral beast from being forced to fight in gladiatorial matches to the death. Kovu only made a short appearance in Civil War since I switched him out for Ryia after the rp came back from a long hiatus.

Unholy Crusade
    Theo Grayson - BlackWarGreymon
    Tessa Tesla - Wisemon
    Andrea Mercer - Human, I only had her as a vague character to develop and bring in if Unholy Crusade got a sequal, but I ended developing more of her personality and general background for Digimon: The Seven Seals. When Unholy Crusade started up again after a long hiatus, I decided to go ahead and use her in U. So I reworked her to fit in with Theo, since they have some past connections.
    Deneb Odebu - Hawkmon, Andrea's digimon partner, I used him in Digimon: The Seven Seals first, but he didn't get a name until UC with an extended personality and new history. (I actually based his personality loosely off a character from Kamen Rider: Den-O of the same first name)
    Jael Shados - Gaioumon/Darkdramon - I only have the bare bones thought out for this character and I don't intend to use her unless UC goes to a sequel. But she'd be one of my darkest characters aside from Kovu.

I actually have a bigger pool of digimon characters to draw from that I'm using for a Digimon fanfic I'm writing, but I'm only using these few for the fun of it in the rps. Others might show up as npcs now and then.

Veska 'Kalros' Jahara - Female biotic krogan - Mass Effect: Associtaion

Other human characters:

Sequoia Redwood - Halycon Academy, Pokemon: The Ultimates. Short and compact built, outgoing and sort of hyper. She's the opposite in personality to Andrea Mercer, who's taller and athletic, but more reserved and introverted. They usually both share a common interest in the the outdoors and birds of prey and maybe some similar history. Depends which personality suits my needs for an rp.

Titus Lockridge - Halycon Academy. A human remake of Titus Cloudraker, a digimon. I was quite pleased with how well the transition from a noble knight digimon to a nerdy tech head student went.

Bjorne Kjarr - Innistrad, Moasic: The World Mirror, Broke Fairy (pulled out before playing) My soft spoken gentle giant Axewielder, shapeshifter, giant hybrid, and druid. I never got a chance to rp him yet due to rps not starting or dying out quickly, but I have adapted his personality and history for 3 different rps with minimal changes to fit said rps.

So, yea, I can easily conceive characters from scratch if I need too, but I also like revising old characters. I like putting them in different 'what if' senarios to see how they grow and change.
    Last edited by Solsabre; 23rd May 2017 at 5:03 AM.
    Anything is possible...apart from skiing through a revolving door.

Image Credit goes to Kamotz

I am the bone of my sword, and the seed of my Horde. Steel is my body and Fire is my blood, chaos flee before the cleansing flood! I pray! Exalted Knight Evolution! Jesmon!