Creation Thread

RPG Co-owners:
    VampirateMace
    rotrum
    bronislav84
    RaZoR LeAf
    ___

Rules:
    1. All forum and Subforum Rules must be obeyed.
    2. Therefore only Co-owners can double post, and only for legitimate reasons.
    3. Harassment, Flaming, and SPAM will not be tolerated.
    4. This is a Creation/Discussion Thread, not a chat thread, only post if you're contributing to the creation or (eventually) discussing the RPG.
    5. Non Co-owners can post during creation, with their ideas and opinions, but only Co-owners get an actual 'vote' on decisions.
    ___

Current Plot/Info

* All 53 cards exist, plus extras.

* The Key Scepter has broken (and will help in allowing for multiple Cardcaptors), the fragments have fused with everyday objects and they become keys. Each player starts with a key.

* Each player will start with 1 card as well.

* New cards have been created, both by pervious cardcaptors, and by the key's breaking.

* Players will be strangers and/or acquaintances at start.

* Setting: Modern, made-up city.
    ___

Pending Decisions

* Amount of GM control.

* Number of Players?

* Number of Guardians?
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 28th August 2014 at 2:39 AM.
    Problematic Paranormal Files

The Gravity Falls Fanclub | My Twitter: @CleverKraken

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

Discussion Thread

Player List (TBA)

RPG Rules (TBA)

Plot (TBA)

FAQ (TBA)
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 26th August 2014 at 3:03 AM.

Today's Fact: Mantis Shrimp have 16 different color receptors (cones), while humans have 3.

I'd like to bring up decisions for pending:

Should the characters go to school at all, and how much should school be involved? I'm just concerned, cause school was very boring for me to write, personally. Remember Journal Vampire? Really enjoyed the RP, but the school aspect no so much.

What do you guys think about allowing other items and weapons to be able to summon and seal cards? Li used a sword. Maybe pieces get stuck in weapons and infuse the ability in them.

I like Razor's idea on more cards, but we could use both too.

Banner by the illustrious Avenger Angel

Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

Not much school would be involved, if we are even in school, as the focus will be on capturing the cards. - The problem with journal school was that no one else understood the idea, and therefore were too shy to use the journal to affect their school life (something that will be addressed in v2). But this is a different RPG altogether, and school (or work) will be mostly irrelevant.

That seems like a plausible plot point, and the objects in question wouldn't have to be weapons per say, sports equipment, canes, umbrellas, and such would work as well.

Personally I like both ideas. More cards having been made makes sense within the canon, and uncontrolled magic making more cards is just cool.

As for school, I don't roleplaying in school should be that important since we're mostly western and have a small understanding of Japanese School system. On that note; however, Sakura is a fourth grader and we should stay true to the whole elementary school setting.

If we do use cards, we really shouldn't make more cards. I can see that turning into people making OP cards, or cards that are useless in relation to the existing cards. Besides, it takes emotions like loss of loved ones to create your own card.

As for the weapon, I think as long as it's practical. Cardcaptor Sakura is mainly magic based fighting. I think, if we are to have multiple Cardcaptors, we should have multiple books and everyone get their own first card so that they can perform spells.

What if we have multiple Clow Books instead of the one? That way, each of us could have our own Guardian, rather than sharing one. It could be Sakura's attempt at protecting the world, so she divided the cards into multiple books.

Sakura is a fourth grader and we should stay true to the whole elementary school setting.
    I'd... rather not... :/ Some people are more comfortable playing characters that are at least somewhat close to their actual age.

On a different note

Pending Decisions

* Location? Japan? Elsewhere?
    I watched the anime dubbed, so I'm more used to the English names than the Japanese ones. I'd rather the location be "elsewhere" so we don't have to deal with language issues... But that's just me.
    Shiny Mega Gardevoir thinks his black dress is totally stylish. Shiny Mega Gallade wishes he looked that good. :P

RPer's profile, 3DS Friend Code, and Nintendo Network ID

Gonna just run through my opinions on the things we need to decide.

* Location? Japan? Elsewhere?
    I think it should be a well known RL city with a map that could be used. Either Tokyo or NYC is my suggestion. Or we could make this worldwide, but that could get messy really quickly with people having to Google maps each time locations change, or a GM having to. I recall Samantha Sparks doing a Ben 10 RP and people were literally planets apart with no interaction.

* Time Period? Modern? Near Future?
    IIRC in the show it was slightly in the future. They didn't seem to have anything we don't already have. We should keep it in a modern timeframe IMO.

* Should the extra Clow Cards exist because they were created between the series and now, or because magic leaking from the cards and broken scepter are causing new cards to spontaneously form? Or possibly both?
    Already addressed this. Both seem like good ideas.

* Plot points; how does our group come to discover the book/keys/cards, or key shards? Do we start together as friends, or some sort of a group, or each finding a shard on their own?
    I think this should be left to the individuals, unless you think it should be hardcoded into the plot but eventually people should meet up either by the end of their History or within the first page of the RP so people are RPing together and not all over the world and aren't bored. I once played a cousin of Li btw, so as a relative I was allowed to know about cards. Obviously I'm not going to use that same character, but obviously we should meet up relatively soon if we don't start out knowing each other. Either way works, though.

* Age range? Should all players be in the same grade perhaps?
    This is a toughie. I like to play within the ages of 18 to 25, but I've played younger. This will depend on if we decide the characters should be school age teenagers or not. Of course the RP should take place before and after school if we decide on school age teenagers, with school only being a factor if an event needs to happen IN school, like say a bully is possessed by a card.

* On items
    I believe any item should be viable as a key/wand if it can be held in the hand. So like no using a whole bicycle as your key/wand. Let's keep it to the relative size of the wand from the show, but it can be as small as say a smartphone.

--------------------------------------------
    If we don't make new cards the RP could become stale quite quickly, especially since a lot of the cards are useless. All new cards should be approved in discussion before being put into the RP.

I also watched the anime dubbed, but a lot of it was cut from network TV cause a certain character was homosexual. -.- I've only seen the episodes aired on WB.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 26th August 2014 at 6:04 AM.

Bronislav is my Name and 1984 is my Birth year. If you can't say my name, just call me Bron or Slavik.

@ chihaya01:
    Thanks for sharing your opinions with us. Here's my thoughts:

Good points on the school part. Though we haven't even decided if it takes place in Japan.

There would be checks in place, where cards would have to be approved before being pursued in the RPG, to avoid such issues.

I'm kind of attached to the broken key myself (and destabilized magic), but yes, everyone would start with a Card and a Key. As for a book and guardian, it's not a bad idea, but I'm not too concerned - I've seen how relatively pointless allowing everyone to have their own guardian/elemental is in other RPGs.
    _

@ Bron:
    I don't like using RL maps, as that usually get more confusing in my experience (people saying they can see people they should be to far away to see given their RL location). Just stating location at the top of the post is enough for me (School, Townhall, Riverside). It also give us the freedom to add things, like rivers, if they make sense plotwise.

I never thought the show seemed futuristic. (If anything it looked like it took place in the 80s rather than the 90s)

Agreed on item size, we don't need Car-sized Keys.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 26th August 2014 at 6:09 AM.

I've watch the Japanese and the English, preferring the Japanese one a lot more. However, I feel like that shouldn't matter since it's not like were going to have to reference the anime characters in any form at all in the RPG.

As for the book, or books, it would be fine without the Book Guardian. If it is kept to one, would the book then be opened by some antagonist force?

Well if we don't use a well known city and just build it as we go, people could get lost or have trouble judging distances. The point of using a location that is known is to not have people get lost. The city from CC was never really mapped out, so unless we can find a map of it it's gonna be a lot of make up as we go kind of thing. I'd be ok with it, but it's not ideal.

I'm sorry if I confused you on timeframe Vampire. I meant it seems like it's pretty much modern with no big deviations from RL. Maybe they didn't have smartphones and tablets yet, but that's about it.

In the RP I was in everyone had a guardian of their own. Mine was a version of Thor. He could shrink into a chibi whenever he wanted.

I personally dunno how I want the book handled. It sounds like there should be more books since we're making more than the original cards, but on the other hand I think the book or books shouldn't play a big factor and it should just be about collecting the cards. Cards randomly appearing and need to be stopped from causing havok.

Sorry I haven't posted, I've been in work all day, and this wont be a long post as I have to go to sleep soon (and get up for work again in 6 hours ). I\ll just throw out some thoughts for now.

It doesn't really need to be a specific place. If it's just a nameless city, then so long as nobody goes out of control with bizarre locations, we can just agree that Person A is at the shopping centre, Person B is at the school and Person C is at the docks. They are all things that cities have, and when the need arises we can direct people to specific places (an old church, an abandoned warehouse, etc.)

Guardians/Books/Time Period
    Just mushing these together for a moment, as a thought came to me. This is a bit odd, but here me out. CCS was set in the 80s/90s when technology wasn't as big a thing as it is now. Hence there being a book and a living guardian. If we're sticking with the 'escaped magic' idea, then we could use say that the magic has adapted to the world around it. Keys that are smartphones, books that are e-books/tablets and scan the cards, guardians that are digital creatures (for instance what looks like an innocent app character on your screen is actually your guardian)

General Plot
    Do we have a villain? Perhaps someone or something that had been sealed away by the original Clow Reed, but but either as a result of the key breaking, or perhaps by causing the key to break it has escaped and is seeking the cards for itself, or just to cause chaos (like all villains do) by making the wild cards more deadly or savage?

Card Creation
    Made up cards would of course need to be approved. They'd need a name related to their ability, an ability that isn't too powerful, and some-kind of reason they have been created, either through a real-time event, an echo of the past, a powerful emotion, etc.

I think we may as well open up the idea that not every character will necessarily have gotten a fragment of the scepter. Technically, any magic user can compete for a card because the card decides its own owner (Though someone with part of the Sealing Staff has to seal it beforehand), and cards are activated much more freely than they are sealed (ie. Li could activate them, sometimes without his sword I think. Sakura manifests Windy without even having her name written on it or any mental image of wind magic, because Windy is kind and allowed it without being under control). That said, there isn't too much reason to assume that all pieces of the staff will manifest all that similarly.

I would say making it modern already dramatically changes the world from back when Sakura did things, with the introduction of smartphones, the internet, etc (Sakura's cell phone was a not yet released product still in testing. It had no screen.). So making it near future may be overkill. That said I'm not sure if I think that more books should have been made, and the adaptation to the modern times seems a bit odd. Consider that the book was created long before Sakura's time, and stayed as it originally was. Anyways, as far as multiple books, this whole key incident was an accident, right? Doesn't seem to make too much sense for everyone to be well equipped to start with.

I feel like if we're initially a group of friends, ownership of the cards would be rather fluid and potluck-y. It also makes it a bit harder to justify everyone starting with one card, I think.

As far as potential backgrounds go, it could be a mix of uninvolved people who ended up finding a card that was A. not manifested B. compliant or C. injured, magicians actively seeking cards, and then people who found a fragment of the key. (Or combinations of the three). It'd be interesting if there were some people who treated the cards more like familiars than spells (the previously uninvolved people. ie. Like Dash was) and people who were unable to seal, but still capable of subduing them. People who find a key probably would need a guardian of some sort to guide them, possibly a familiar created by the unstable power of their key fragment. Magicians, on the other hand, would have foreknowledge and the ability to cast their own magic, but be more inclined to think of the cards as just spells rather than entities.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I have that effect on most men for some reason. no wonder i've been feeling lesbian lately >.>

Razor makes some compelling points to consider. Location could be very arbitrary and it would work out. I like making it more high tech, too. I think we can create the background once we agree on mechanics. I'm personally not as worried about plot as figuring out the mechanics of the RP, but we do need a villain.

rotrum:
    Magic users and this RP. I'm not sure how I feel about that. It sounds good on paper, but I think it should be noted somewhere that the primary player type that should sign up is somebody who got a piece of the scepter. I mean this is a Cardcaptors RP we're planning here, not a general magic user RP. They shouldn't be central to the plot, the sealers should be.

But if we don't adapt the style to modern times then it's not too relate-able anymore and may get "stale" kinda. Magic is a tricky beast. It's not real, but it's very real in fantasy. I think adapting it to our time would be better than adapting ourselves to when the show was made. People don't all need to have a means to seal and summon, and could get their key piece during the RP so not starting out well equipped is fine by me.

I'm cool with a potluck card ownership deal if we all start out knowing each other, but that has to be agreed upon. God, so much to figure out here.

And on the last point, again I don't think the non sealing people should be central to the RP. They sound like they'd more likely be supporting NPCs, since nobody wants to be a secondary player.

Li was a main character who couldn't seal. He still earned cards because cards pick their own owners. There was only one sealer in the original, but plenty of magicians. Nonsealers could have as many, if not more, cards as the sealers. The big reason sakura kept beating li was because she had a head start and therefore more spells (Also, with Mirror, she had the bonus of . Also, the cards didn't recognize it as a reason for Li to get them if all he did was keep them from running (ie. Lock, Sweet, Voice) but in those cases Sakura may not have been able to do it without him. A dozen sealers doesn't promote much variety anyways, if any of them can seal and the card is still deciding who contributed the most.

I meant that we shouldn't put it in the near future, modern at most. (Though, while I wasn't implying that we should do it, roleplayers kind of are supposed to be able to adapt to other eras and worlds). As far as tech adaptation, I'm not a big fan, but perhaps some people could choose to have their key fragment manifest that way. Or, if we allow nonsealers, they could have an enchanted w/e. (Though, nothing stops a magician from being a sealer as well, if we don't go the all friends route)

And the potluck makes it hard to justify everyone starting with one. A group of friends all happened to collectively get them. They'd have to have just been entrusted with it. It also just makes the character design annoying because everyone has the prerequisite of knowing one another. There also doesn't seem to be a good reason for us not to just combine the key back together if the majority of character have the pieces and have no reason to compete with one another.

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    I have that effect on most men for some reason. no wonder i've been feeling lesbian lately >.>

Okay you totally got me on Li. I feel like I brain farted on that. I dunno. Maybe just limit sealing to some characters only but leave card aptitude to all, or something of the sort. I'm not a fan of this since it does kinda mean some were chosen and some were not. Promotes power disparity if we do it that way.

I'm good on modern. Yea let's go modern not near future.

I see what you're saying on the group of friends thing and I'm not a fan of that anymore. Maybe they'd know each other, but be rivals or something.

Okay, sounds like we've decided:

- Keys fragments will manifest as objects chosen by the player (within reason), and may include smart-phones and tablets, weapons and sports equipment. (Key colors are now irrelevant.)

- Modern setting.

- Arbitrary location should be fine. (BTW - Bron, not everyone reads a map well, so I've seen plenty issues with judging distance in RPGs using real maps.)

- We need a villain. Either released from the book/key/cards, or collecting the cards for an evil agenda.

And things to decide:

- Additional guardians somehow? I don't feel like these are need. Our chars will probably be older, and be able to make the connection that the key and card are magic.

- Friends or Strangers/Acquaintances - Personally I'm fine with either. As friends we can work together and trade cards, and as strangers/acquaintances we can form alliances and rivalries, and can have a wider variety of characters (some kids, some teens, some adults).

- Non-cardcaptors? I'm not a fan of this idea, part of why I wanted to break the key was so everyone could be a cardcaptor (because they probably will want to be). I mean we could leave it open, but I don't think a lot of people would sign up as non-cardcaptors.

- Player limit? I'm thinking no more than 14.

Who should compile the RPG plot... as a bit of a Control Freak, I'm just going to say, I'm fine with doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by VampirateMace View Post
    And things to decide:

- Additional guardians somehow? I don't feel like these are need. Our chars will probably be older, and be able to make the connection that the key and card are magic.

- Friends or Strangers/Acquaintances - Personally I'm fine with either. As friends we can work together and trade cards, and as strangers/acquaintances we can form alliances and rivalries, and can have a wider variety of characters (some kids, some teens, some adults).

- Non-cardcaptors? I'm not a fan of this idea, part of why I wanted to break the key was so everyone could be a cardcaptor (because they probably will want to be). I mean we could leave it open, but I don't think a lot of people would sign up as non-cardcaptors.

- Player limit? I'm thinking no more than 14.

Who should compile the RPG plot... as a bit of a Control Freak, I'm just going to say, I'm fine with doing it.
    We could replace the guardian with just Cerberus and Yue, but since the magic has escaped, their 'essance' has been scattered, so they're not all there. Cerberus can only appear in thoughts as a guiding presence (which manifests as a 'go this way' suggestion from the game master) whilst the moon is always hidden by clouds.

Agreed on the magic users. As a cardcaptors RPG we should be aiming to cater for people who want to be Cardcaptors. Nobody signs up to a pokemon RPG as a non-trainer, to Digimon as a non-destined or a super hero RPG as a vanilla person with no powers. Whilst Li couldn't seal on his own, monitoring who gets to keep a card once a person has sealed it can get complicated and cause more trouble than it's worth.

I'd say no more than 10 people. Maybe from different sides of the city? The richer, nicer housing and thr slums.

We should try not to complicate the guardian concept too much. It would probably be best to have a GM/Owner speak for them like you suggested.

10's a good number (we've had six people post here, so that leave a little room if we assume they were all to play). Of course we could try for a 'magic' number.

I think if we go the stranger/acquaintance route, we should automatically see variations in class/age/etc.
    Last edited by VampirateMace; 27th August 2014 at 7:16 AM.

^I like where you two are going with this and support it. Nobody signs up to such RPs to not be the whatever the RP is about.

I'd like to bring up something:

GM-led story or player-led story?

And if we do a GM-led story, who's going to run the story? I'm not a huge fan of GM-led RPs because it creates a sort of turn based posting order and can stall an RP entirely if everybody is waiting for everybody else to react to the GM saying "Oh we're changing locations, everyone travels together." or "You're meeting somebody." so every player has to write their take on what just happened, and the RP can't move without each reaction. Speaking of traveling together, it creates a lot of complication especially if everybody decides to talk to everybody else. Of course the GM is a player too in this case. The type of RP relies entirely on the GM for anything important to happen, and if the GM is out of ideas the RP is dead.

I personally prefer a player-led story, also known to some people as a "no story RP" since the GM isn't running a story. I usually don't have a whole plot worked out and prefer to just do events while the majority of the RP is people just do things in the setting I've created, and if I don't like it I will tell them. This is where the GM basically writes the opening plot then steps back and just polices the RP for fairness or lack thereof while also being a player. That isn't to say that the GM wouldn't be doing anything. They'd be running story in events, just not always running the story. The complication with this type of RP is it can die/stall if players are too squeamish to do fun things on their own. This gives players a lot of freedom, but some people can't be creative and end up just sitting around doing nothing or dropping out. This is a high risk, high reward type of RP and I had pretty good success with it (See Teen Titans, though I had to pause it and it's probably not going to have a true ending), but it can also fail.

What do you guys think?
    Last edited by bronislav84; 27th August 2014 at 8:19 AM.

I was thinking more player freedom, with GMs occasionally giving direction via the guardians (or just notes) to players that seemed lost, up until the big battle (which the GMs will have to set-up). I'm not a big fan of heavily GM-led RPGs, because it feels like a script, rather than a RPG. I think players should be allowed to make choices.

No, offense Bron, but you were extremely controlling at times in TT, it did not feel like a "no story RPG" (aside from the stall, where both sides were hiding in their HQs), so I don't think it's a very good example.

I'm not offended (yet), just confused. I have no idea what you're talking about controlling. We were all trying to decide how the events will go.

Zalck literally complained about me not running an ongoing script story and dropped out like 2 pages in or so. The words "no story" were actually typed by him.
    Last edited by bronislav84; 27th August 2014 at 10:58 PM.

I wasn't in the RPG yet at two pages in, so maybe that's part of the disconnect here. Maybe it was 'no story' or 'free for all' style at the beginning, but by the time I joined it didn't feel like there was much freedom at all. Anyway, let's let that that go, since this thread is for setting up our Cardcaptors RPG.

I'm going to go ahead and start throwing a plot file together based on what we've decided. And I should update the first post.

Oh I know what you're talking about. That was only because we all had wanted to end it and decided how. I worked out a way to do it and people were receptive. That's still usually something I consider an event, and isn't typical. Story pieces can last what seems to be a long time, but once it's done the RP usually goes back to freedom. That just ends the RP, and people need to decide how. Once we decided, yes I ran it but no I didn't mean to be controlling. We just wanted to kinda end it is all. But yea, different RP sorry.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

Okay, here's what I'm looking at so far. Nothing's written in stone, and there's still plenty of holes to fill in:

We also need to consider our rating.

Spoiler:- Plot Stuff:

-X- could be another card similar to The Nothing. It could be called The End or something like that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast