Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perish: The One-Shots

Default Perish: The One-Shots

PERISH
    The One-Shots

Y hallo thar.

This series of one-shots (no, not a multi-chaptered fic, but a one-shot series) was inspired by a drabble I did as an exercise before NaNoWriMo called Poison. I liked the idea of describing the death of Pokemon with detail, so I decided to expound on the idea to make it a series of one-shots called Perish.

As you may have guessed (probably not, but maybe some of you smart people would've), this will most likely be seventeen one-shots in one thread (which sounds way more reasonable then seventeen one-shots in seventeen separate threads), all focusing on the seventeen types. Each one-shot will provide a new mode of death, loosely based on the type it's titled with.

So, yeah, enjoy it if you can. Again, it's a series of one-shots, not a multi-chaptered fic, so the content of each one-shot is pretty short - jumbling between two and three pages.

Oh, and btw, all of the one-shots are rated PG-13 for the use of vulgar language, gory imagery and the like. It may go a little higher with some deaths...but meh, PG-13 is pretty safe.

Table of Contents

Spoiler:- Table of Contents:

So, to start off, here's the thing that started it all - Poison. Yeah, it's a repost, and I didn't make any edits, but still feel free to comment.

Poison

The moment finally came.

I could feel my insides slowly cease working, the poison slowly but painfully eating up bit after bit. It had started from my throat, the part that transferred it to the rest of my body, and from there on its entirety was beginning to burn away.

I could hear the footsteps of the people around me, sometimes a gasp or a shriek here and there, but they’re always followed by something like “Don’t touch it, dear, it’s probably infectious.” It is true, though – I am infectious, and I am untouchable; I must be avoided at all cost.

It wasn’t a hard decision, really; emotional instability and social deprivation were enveloping my life, and it’s only fair that the physical aspect of my self shares the pain as well.

And what’s even better is that this type of physical pain will be the end of all other pains my body could conjure. It would’ve been idiotic of me to not make such a decision!

To be honest, though, I didn’t want to die like this. I wanted to die happily, but happiness is only a mere illusion to me now. I wanted the quickest and most painful way, and I got it.

But there’s one main reason I did this – it was because of him.

The moment he left me was more than enough of a reason for me to drink the poison. He, my master, my life, my everything – he would just go and desert me! I enjoyed being with him – no, what an understatement. I loved him. I cherished every second I spent with him, even if I was inside his Pokeball; that didn’t stop me from enjoying his indirect presence.

He poisoned my life. His absence slowly intoxicated my environment, my perceptions, my thoughts. Everything suddenly meant nothing to me now; my beliefs joined my disbeliefs, my joy joined my sorrow, my fullness joined my emptiness.

He left me. That bastard…

…Why the fuck did I say that?

I loved, love and will love him forever.

But he’s gone.

I can’t accept that!

I can’t live in this poisonous dystopia called life without him; I know no one else! I was his starter Pokemon, his so-called prized possession, his ticket to being a Pokemon Master! Why would he do such a grim, malevolent thing to me?

I could still remember that exact moment. He summoned me, looked at me with an awkwardly cold face, then walked away. I instinctively followed him, but with his deep, masculine voice he told me “no”.

So I stayed, and he continued walking. It didn’t take me a minute to realize what was happening. I started screaming so loudly, tears beginning to fall from my jet black eyes, unfortunately knowing that all the cries meant nothing to him. He still continued walking away.

I was being released.

I never knew why he did such a thing; in fact, the day before, he told me how much he “loved” me. I never disobeyed him – sure I was immature at the start, but I immediately followed his orders, no matter how impossibly difficult they were. I accepted every punishment he gave me; my blue skin is still recovering from that accident where he exposed me to too much radiation, and my head-fin is still numb from when he unknowingly sat down on it.

The loud squeal I emitted still echoed in my ear.

His disappearance left my life hanging by a thread, and the residents of his hometown only made it worse. The kids kept throwing stones at me, seeing me as some sort of wild animal, and adults kept kicking me and trampled me under their leather-shoed feet.

Never had I imagined a Mudkip would be treated as such.

But I guess that’s what life had destined for me. Maybe this moment was planned, too; somewhere, in Arceus’s massive book of life, all that I’ve experienced and what I’m experiencing now is written, and the words “Exeunt Sinnoh, Enter Hell” finish my script.

The poison started to affect my lungs, and I suddenly felt that my nose wasn’t taking in air anymore. I gasped, fearing that the lack of oxygen would kill me before the poison did. I figured, since I was dying, I wanted to choose which method I would take. Surely I would want to die in style, and death by poison is way more ‘stylistic’ than death by lack of oxygen.

That thought temporarily replaced my lamentations for him as I started to spit out blood. I heard more screams from the passersby, but no one dared to go near me. No one in the right mind would go straight to a trampled, blood-spitting Mudkip. I wanted to stop, but more and more of the crimson liquid exited from my mouth, creating a red puddle right in front of me for me to land on.

And I did.

I splashed into the puddle, my own blood soaking my orange cheeks and pale blue skin. I felt the air inside me instantly dwindle, an effect of both my dysfunctional nose and poisoned body.

The moment arrived.

The poison inside my body was successful.

I pictured his handsome, young face in my head as my eyes were permanently shut. That was the picture I kept until my status was transformed from fainted to deceased.

I leave this dystopia.

And enter another.

So yeah, enjoy reading about dying Pokemon.

~> DM
    Last edited by Dramatic Melody; 17th May 2011 at 4:17 PM.

to extend our reach to the stars above

fics: A Friday / Berries / Ever Grande / Stars / Wishes / Perish / Menu

It was fun to read again.

It just is

I used to liek mudkipz once a while ago, but then I decided Sceptile was better and therefore have an air of indifference about them. I still enjoy reading them slowly dieing due to poisoning.

*eagerly awaits fire one-shot*
    Skogsrĺ

Gardenia never liked the Old Chateau, but what if the Old Chateau liked her?

Author's Profile

Haha, thanks Diddy.

So here's the reason why I thought of making a new thread - Fire.

Comments and criticisms are highly appreciated.

Fire

So this is how it ends.

The chain of events that had come and gone in my life all lead up to this.

…Why am I sounding so formal?

I could not understand why Arceus had picked such a nasty, gruesome setting for my death. I mean, I know I am a mere Caterpie and all, but come on! I know a burning forest is dramatic, and may be one of the most ‘epic’ settings one could have for, say, a work of fiction, but that setting being the last one of my life?

Bullshit.

Nevertheless, I would have to accept the fact that I would perish in a burning forest, with no one to share the tragic feeling of death with, with nothing to gain or lose, and with no form of hesitation at all.

I was basically surrendering myself to the blazing inferno that enveloped me.

What was I to do? Everything about my life is basically no worse than a burning forest. My own family backstabbed me, and I was secluded from all the happiness of the world, whatever it was, may it be the intimate relationship between my siblings and mother they call love, or the simple feeling of contentment one sees when one smiles.

My mother, however beautiful she was with her physical appearance, had an equally wicked personality in dealing with me. Along with her mate that left us weeks ago, they laid eleven eggs, and all hatched into the green, wriggly caterpillar everyone expected.

All but one.

I was the eleventh, and instead of the silky forest-green skin all Caterpies had, I instead sported a bright yellowish skin. Only a few weeks later did I find out that it was a special condition. A few trainers were hunting nearby, and one unfortunately caught a glimpse of me, they immediately dubbed my abnormality in color as “shininess”.

But my family didn’t know that.

And a few weeks was all it took to ruin my entire life.

Never did they treat me like I was part of a family. They treated me as if I was a stranger, as if I was a mere obstacle in their daily lives. Rarely, if not never, did they ever eat with me, and not once did they ever sleep with me. And rarely did I even interact with any of my ten siblings – they were all too busy thinking of what else they could tease me with, usually regarding my unusual skin.

I hated them, and they hated me. The feeling was mutual, and I couldn’t do anything to change that.

What was bitter, though, was that my mother acted the same way my siblings did towards me – maybe even worse. She cherished every moment she spent with the others, but dreaded every single one she spent with me. She treated me as if I was a disgrace – and I certainly felt like one.

The pain I felt was so monstrous, so excruciating, so…fiery.

It was part of the reason why I found my death setting so ironically hideous.

I didn’t even know how it started, but it eventually reached my personal hiding place. I usually stayed in this nest of crisp, green leaves underneath a tree, hidden beneath its large, tingly roots. It was my haven, the only place in my entire world where I could actually escape from the usual misery of my life. No one knew of this place; the closest a Pokemon got to discovering this place was when a Weedle was looking for food.

I scared it away with my abnormal color, and a few String Shots.

But now, the roots that protected it were being completely obliterated by the inferno, the smoke it was producing already killing my lungs before the fire could reach it. The usual crisp, green leaves it sported were now all burnt to ash, and the little cavern I was in was looking less and less of the utopia I’ve always seen it as.

Before long, the merciless flames had already reached its main prey – me.

The string I wrapped myself around only provided seconds of relief before the fire easily destroyed them. It started with my tail, and I let out a very deafening cry – well, deafening to me – of pain. The tears that instinctively fell from my big, black irises didn’t even put out even a fraction of the flame – it continued to incinerate me as if I was of no importance.

And I was.

My bright yellow skin blended well with the bright orange fire; maybe that’s why it wanted to consume me so badly. The fire embraced me tighter than the two distinct times my mother did, but it didn’t give me the warmth one would expect from a hug – a painful, thorny, unendurable kind of warmth.

I didn’t know what I felt anymore – it felt like the lower half of my body detached from its upper half. The blood within me was being spat out in such an alarmingly dangerous rate that it gave me yet another mode of death apart from my burning body and my failing lungs.

My vision blurred, then in no time at all turned to nothing. I was spitting out string mixed with blood, and in no time at all it was blood mixed with string.

I was slowly being destroyed by the blazing inferno.

And in no time, I was.

Beautifully portrayed.

Each death exotic in it's own way. Ironic and easily understood.

I wish my death would be written just as beautiful.

This is fantastic, DM. I've always heard great things about your writing and never got a good chance to read it.

First of all, I love your choice in Pokemon (and i herd u liek mudkipz). They're so simple yet you portray them so artistically. I'd never think that a Caterpie would be able to think so philosophically about its untimely end (especially for a shiny), but you make it seem somehow believable. I also really like your use of the words "utopia" and "dystopia", as they're some of my favorite literary themes, and I think your exploration of death in relation to this basic theme is fantastic.

I really look forward to how you portray the rest of the types, as some of them, like Normal, Dragon, Psychic and Grass, don't exactly lend themselves to a type of death.

Continue the good work; I'll be watching.
    ~Jerichi

{ASB} [FB] (dA) ~JSfSN~
    Thanks to Sammi for this banner.

[jerichi]

A new fanfic by yours truly.
    E.S.P.A.S.
    "I hope your mother dies in a silo explosion." ~ The Mozz

It's not easy
    being green.

Very well-written, except for two things I noticed:

It started with my tail, and I let out a very deafening cry
    'Very' seems very redundant. Just 'deafening' would be fine.

I was slowly being destroyed by the blazing inferno.

And in no time, I was.
    A little confusing... I can understand it, but it seems confusing anyway.

A little short, but like you said, this is a series of one-shots rather than related chapters, so they don't really need the length.

The isolation and - despondency - felt by the Caterpie make this very realistic. It's well-described and very emotive.

Not much more I can say. :/

And I'm really sorry I haven't gotten around to reviewing the last chapter (or two) of Stars. I'll get around to it sometime, I promise.
    If names changes are ever implemented again, someone please PM me. I will not spend the rest of my time here labelled as a female because of my username.
    Visions Of Fate latest chapter: Chapter Twenty - The Abandoned House

Aha, so Fire is done is it? Very nice job, very nice. What looks like it should be a series of depressing one-shots really seems more like an interesting psychologically charged read. The thoughts of a creature (and I agree with Jerichi, the idea that a Caterpie is actually smart and quite intelligent was very nicely done) as it contemplates it's unavoidable death is powerful indeed. This seemed, all in, a better story than the sum of it's parts would seem. Skimming through, reading here and there it seems merely good. Read it all, pay attention and really mull it over, and it seems...powerful.

My vision blurred, then in no time at all turned to nothing. I was spitting out string mixed with blood, and in no time at all it was blood mixed with string.
    This paragraph seemed a bit sticky here. For one, the first sentence, while understandable, seemed a bit awkward and anti-climactic. It probably would have worked better with more clarity as to how his vision disappeared, instead of saying it quickly turned to nothing.

As for the second sentence, it seems you say the same thing twice here in different words. This probably was intentional, but it just seems a bit iffy to me. Nitpicks both, but they were the only possible problems I spotted.

Really, nicely done here. I've got to say I liked this better than Poison, as the all-consuming fire made for some potent imagery.

Quote Originally Posted by #Chimecho# View Post
    Beautifully portrayed.

Each death exotic in it's own way. Ironic and easily understood.

I wish my death would be written just as beautiful.
    Kinda odd for someone to talk about their death that way, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerichi View Post
    This is fantastic, DM. I've always heard great things about your writing and never got a good chance to read it.

First of all, I love your choice in Pokemon (and i herd u liek mudkipz). They're so simple yet you portray them so artistically. I'd never think that a Caterpie would be able to think so philosophically about its untimely end (especially for a shiny), but you make it seem somehow believable. I also really like your use of the words "utopia" and "dystopia", as they're some of my favorite literary themes, and I think your exploration of death in relation to this basic theme is fantastic.

I really look forward to how you portray the rest of the types, as some of them, like Normal, Dragon, Psychic and Grass, don't exactly lend themselves to a type of death.

Continue the good work; I'll be watching.
    ~Jerichi
    Hey Jerichi! You've been hearing... *gulp* stuff about my writing? x_x

The Pokemon I choose are my faves, actually. Idk - I love them so much that I can kill them without feeling guilty. 8)

I do treat the Pokemon as natural, intelligent beings - equal to humans - but I certainly don't ignore the fact that they are still Pokemon. I didn't mean for it to actually impact you like that or anything... x_x

Normal and Grass are interesting ones, the latter being one of my top five faves. I haven't really thought about Psychic and Dragon yet. >_>

Quote Originally Posted by Gardevoir Girl View Post
    Very well-written, except for two things I noticed:

'Very' seems very redundant. Just 'deafening' would be fine.

A little confusing... I can understand it, but it seems confusing anyway.

A little short, but like you said, this is a series of one-shots rather than related chapters, so they don't really need the length.

The isolation and - despondency - felt by the Caterpie make this very realistic. It's well-described and very emotive.

Not much more I can say. :/

And I'm really sorry I haven't gotten around to reviewing the last chapter (or two) of Stars. I'll get around to it sometime, I promise.
    Thanks for the crit.

I had to look up the meaning of the word despondency. XD

And don't worry about it. I'm also pretty behind in updating Stars myself. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by duncan View Post
    Aha, so Fire is done is it? Very nice job, very nice. What looks like it should be a series of depressing one-shots really seems more like an interesting psychologically charged read. The thoughts of a creature (and I agree with Jerichi, the idea that a Caterpie is actually smart and quite intelligent was very nicely done) as it contemplates it's unavoidable death is powerful indeed. This seemed, all in, a better story than the sum of it's parts would seem. Skimming through, reading here and there it seems merely good. Read it all, pay attention and really mull it over, and it seems...powerful.

This paragraph seemed a bit sticky here. For one, the first sentence, while understandable, seemed a bit awkward and anti-climactic. It probably would have worked better with more clarity as to how his vision disappeared, instead of saying it quickly turned to nothing.

As for the second sentence, it seems you say the same thing twice here in different words. This probably was intentional, but it just seems a bit iffy to me. Nitpicks both, but they were the only possible problems I spotted.

Really, nicely done here. I've got to say I liked this better than Poison, as the all-consuming fire made for some potent imagery.
    I don't get the first paragraph, but thanks! XD

Yeah, the second sentence was intentional. Sorry for the anti-climactic-ness.

And yeah, I do agree Fire > Poison. 8D

Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal View Post
    A great five minute read. Examining the different modes of death is pretty powerful stuff. Emotion and character development within such a short read is quite strong. You'd think it would be depressing, but each one-shot lends itself to the psychological insight of a dying creature... Very powerful.

Loved this one particular line.

I do love that the Caterpie was ostracized for being shiny. From an evolutionary standpoint, having the opposite coloring of your species would kind of null the point of camouflage, huh? It's really no wonder he was shunned. You'd think all shiny Pokemon would get killed by predators or something. Although I suppose it's equally as likely that they'd get captured first. Or... burned alive. Heh heh...

I absolutely can't wait for ice and water. Not sure what fighting is going could be. Being beaten to death or something? Looking forward to seeing the other fifteen types. c:
    Five-minute reads own!

All the one-shots will exaggerate on a certain aspect of the Pokemon world and will use it for / against them, depending on the said aspect. Poison used releasing of Pokemon as a base, while Fire used shininess against the Pokemon.

Burned alive > killed by predators. XD

Spoiler:- On your last paragraph. If y'all don't wanna be spoiled...don't click the spoiler. Duh.:

Speaking of Water, it's coming up in a while, most likely after our school play's showing (which is this week). My target's before February comes in (just like my last target for Ch9 of Stars before I hurt myself D: ), so yeah.

I updated the first post, though, with the three one-shots that come after Ice.

Thanks for your patience / sorry for all the waiting.

~> DM

Wait, how did I not comment on Fire!?

Damn me!

Anyway, what I want to say is pretty much summed up in what the others have said, but I feel like being a pretentious observer and using long words to describe what went on. *puts on Lloyd Grossman voice*

As you can see in this short piece of literature, is the contrast between the wonder of life, as portrayed by the forest and how fast death can occur, ergo the fire destroying both the forest and the Caterpie on question. The fire itself can be said to show the immortal quote of 'Fire cleansing the soul' which in itself is a well depicted literal metaphor, yes, oxymoron I know. The choice of character was very well chosen, as it were, the small and weak Caterpie showing the fragility of life and how it can be stuffed out in a moments instance.

*gets bored of playing an english teacher*

I enjoyed it anyway.
    Skogsrĺ

Author's Profile

Finally?

Hehe.

It's even shorter than Poison and Fire. -_-

But, nevertheless, enjoy.

Water

This had to be the worst irony ever.

One of the bringers of life has become the instrument of death.

This is so unfair. Right after one of the extremely rare, one-off moments where I felt truly and unconditionally happy, this happens.

Destiny’s such a bitch.

I just finished defeating the leader of the Chimchar pack, making this island the property of my own Cyndaquil pack. It was a dramatic cliff-side battle, one I never expected to win in. We were partying – now that we had the right to do so – and then life began to throw me its unfairness.

I accidentally fell down the cliff.

The descent was maddening; it took me a few milliseconds to realize it was actually happening. The wind both pushed and pulled me in opposite directions, making the fall even more painful than it was supposed to be. I prayed to Arceus that this was all just a dream, that this was a simple nightmare that I was gonna wake up from in a snap.

It wasn’t.

The blur of colors drove my mind into insanity. The sudden change of altitude made me shed tears of pain, and the knowledge that the end of this fall was something much worse than the fall itself filled me with despair.

The very real fall only took ten seconds to happen.

It took everyone else eleven to notice.

My powerless body splashed into the sea, waves immediately came crashing down upon me. The seawater painfully stung my spiky back, my body obviously a stranger to the seemingly deadly compound.

I couldn’t see, nor feel, nor even breathe. It’s like my body suddenly ceased to function completely.

And nobody could do anything about it.

I lost hope after I saw how far the cliff was from where I was dying. Even if my so-called ‘friends’ were stupid enough to try and save me, it would take ten Absols and all their Super Lucks combined for them to actually be near succeeding.

And a bunch of Cyndaquils jumping into crashing water just to save a pathetic one of their kind is too idiotic.

I tried to swim, but it ended in failure. Nobody ever teaches Fire-types how to swim. I also tried fighting Fire – or in this case, Water – with Fire, but as everyone knows, Water beats Fire in a heartbeat.

Why, of all things, must it be water? I’ve heard of forest fires and snow avalanches being bringers of death; why can’t I get those so that I have a chance of surviving? Why did Arceus have to ensure that I must be killed by the one element I can never fight back at?

Weaknesses? Resistances? Why did they have to exist?

It’s such a shitty concept, if you ask me. And some of them don’t even make sense.

And Arceus was nice enough to make Fire weak to the most dominant element of nature.

Water.

As if on cue, a huge wave came crashing down on me, sal****er suddenly filling up my lungs. Breathing became next to impossible, and when I tried to spit it out, even more water came in through my mouth.

What a vicious fiend.

How did the Holy One expect balance in our world if most of us are weak to its most dominant feature?

Bullshit, if you ask me.

But I knew that complaining wouldn’t do anything but waste my continuously diminishing brain cells.

And I had to accept what Arceus had proposed to nature.

I am obliged to.

Fire will always be weak to Water. And Fire can do nothing but succumb to it.

Water is the bringer of life, but to several it is the advocate of death.

It was such a delicious irony.

And that thought was the only one lingering in my mind.

Before everything suddenly became...

Nothing.
    Last edited by Dramatic Melody; 2nd April 2009 at 12:52 PM.

Yay, another one of these - I like the premise of this since the first one, and betaing that second was fun to do too.

Anyway, I liked it - but is it wrong for me to have been slightly amused by a Cyndaquil accidentally falling off a cliff to his doom? XD Poor fate for a fire-type, no doubt. Might want to watch the swear-filter there - some stuff got starred out and it did distract just a bit from it.

I have a few other things to point out, mostly nit-picks:
    It was a dramatic cliff-side battle, one I never expected to win in.
    Maybe the latter sounds a touch better as '...one I had never expected to win.' But personal preference, I suppose?

As for this battle... well, I thought and wanted for you to extend this piece here, really. It was an interesting point, but little used - it did interest me and I guess you could have played some more focus on it. That paragraph it is in does feel a bit hastily-mentioned as a result otherwise... plus, the impact of him falling off the cliff might be greater as a result.
    The blur of colors drove my mind into insanity. The sudden change of altitude made me shed tears of pain, and the knowledge that the end of this fall was something much worse than the fall itself filled me with despair.

Sometimes - like here, mainly - you started sentences with the same word/s which felt a touch repetitive - mix it up some more, I suggest, or use some more 'complex' one rather than The, It, I... although this is intended to be short and simple, on the other hand. But at least replace one of those 'The's, I suggest.
    My powerless body splashed into the sea, waves immediately came crashing down upon me. The seawater painfully stung my spicky back, my body obviously a stranger to the seemingly deadly compound.
    The second part of the first sentence sounded a bit odd to me - out of place, or lacking something (such as a 'as' before 'waves', which could rectify the problem). Also, I believe it is spelt without the 'c' - spiky.
    I couldn’t see, nor feel, nor even breathe. It’s like my body suddenly ceased to function completely.
    Change of tense from words like splashed, were and was - perhaps change that 'It's' to 'It was'.

Nitpicks aside - short but sweet. Or not so sweet. Do feel that some of the others were a bit better than this one, tbh - if you extended this one and made us feel more for the Cyndaquil however, that mightn't be the case though. Probably my main qualm of this one, really. But I still liked it, including the thoughts of it as it drowned. Bring on the next traumatic death to the next victim!

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

There is just something morbidly interesting, reading about a Pokemon's death (or any death at all really, but these are particularly good, helped in no small part by the fact that we all know how it's going to end). Water was as good as the previous ones, although it seemed short I think it was okay (I'm not sure what else you could put anyway without dragging it out).

About my only problem was the fact that the Cyndaquil fell from such a height and yet it seemed like it merely splashed down and it's main problem was drowning. While I certainly agree a Cyndaquil could easily drown, I would imagine falling from such a height (just a rough estimate from falling for ten seconds, even though the Pokemon only probably weighs a few pounds) would break it's back or neck.

It took everyone else eleven to notice.
    Very powerful in my opinion, you did a very nice job with the emotional description here. I agree with bobandbill, it did get slightly repetitive, but the basics of it were sound. You are definitely getting a lot of good practice with death scenes.

Not much else to say but good job, nicely done.

No, bnb, there is nothing wrong with being amused for a Pokemon's death. x_X

I took note of all your corrections btw, and I sincerely thank you =D

Duncan, yeah, Perish is a nice death-scene practice, eh? =P

Took note of everything, tyvm =)

Why didn't I multi-quote? Coz of Fighting, of course. I really like this one, and it's my favorite so far. =)

Now, before you begin reading, please do note that this particular one-shot has quite the violence in its scenes, so do proceed with caution. Maybe it's PG-15 or something, idk - as long as you can handle a Pokemon getting beaten up then you're good to go.

Oh, sorry, I just spoiled the thing =(

Fighting

“How do you like me now?”

He bellowed those six words as he punched my extremely sore abdomen.

He was dashingly handsome, with his incredibly attractive blue-smeared face and orange-flamed tail. As a Fighting-type he had been blessed on the physical side, but equalized it with his lacking in personality.

He was also an incredibly rude Pokemon, his habits beyond unappealing. Disrespectful, insensitive, unruly, irresponsible – you name it; he was all of them and more. He was the leader of a gang of stray Chimchar, with him being the only evolved one. His elitist and judgmental attitude was a major turn-off for most girls.

But I wasn’t like most girls.

Beyond his tough-guy facade I saw his true self – someone desperately longing for a lady. His attitude was only his way of trying to make himself an alpha-male of sorts, but he of all Pokemon knew most that it didn’t work. He was depressed, melancholic even.

And my emotionally-attached self couldn’t let him feel that.

Not at all.

The relationship soon started, but only mere weeks past when I regretted my pitied decision. He did nothing but show me off, heavily make out with me to impress his guy-friends – basically never treat me like a real woman should be treated. My green mushroom-head and thin stick-like body was extremely tired from fulfilling all of his desires, may it be emotional or sexual.

It was just too much.

The night came when I simply exploded. I met him and his gang in a dark alley, at least a dozen of his Chimchar accomplices behind him. I said those three words so hesitantly, so unsurely – yet, on the other hand, so cleanly and rightfully.

“We’re breaking up.”

I left the alley, tears pouring out of my concealed eyes, shock present in his goddamn attractive face, and his accomplices floating in mid-air from my involuntary Psychic attack.

I never visited that treacherous alley for weeks.

Exactly three months later, I was forcefully dragged in it by the same company.

He was much bigger now, losing his blue-scarred face for a blazing mane atop his head, and losing his flame-tipped tail for a set of golden fighting gear.

He was the same handsome bastard I met four months ago.

Only more handsome and more bastardly.

And then he bellowed those six words and punched me in my pencil-thin abdomen.

The pain was unbearable, and the snickering of his gang only made it worse. Anyone stuck in such a situation would obviously retaliate, or at least call for help. It was the obvious thing to do.

I didn’t.

But it wasn’t because I couldn’t, nor was it because they prevented me from doing so. I could have easily beat up the shit out of all of them, my ex-boyfriend included. Evolution wasn’t important; I’d been training – I’d been training hard.

What prevented me?

Love.

Even though I broke up with him, he was still, undoubtedly, the one I loved.

I couldn’t bear to see that shocked, devastated face again. I couldn’t bear to hear his shouting mix with the cascading rain and growling thunder. I couldn’t bear to feel his heart break once more.

I simply couldn’t.

Even if my life was to be the payment for such a stupid decision.

His Chimchar posse continued to beat me up, his devilishly beautiful blue eyes meeting with my teary black ones. I began to distrust myself as I felt his heart move with pity – it was an emotion I couldn’t imagine him still having after all this bullshit. If he had pity, even just a fragment of it, he would order the Chimchar to stop.

He never did.

It went on for what seemed like an eternity.

I bled in body parts I didn’t even know could bleed. I spat out blood, an action that disgusted me more than freaked me out. The Chimchar continued snickering, burning, punching, torturing – how could a simple Ralts like me deserve something like this?

I knew the answer to that question.

He snapped his fingers, prompting his accomplices to stop. He then came closer – I didn’t know if I should feel relieved or fearful.

When I saw his hand glow, I immediately felt the latter.

The hand came to me seemingly in slow motion, but I knew it was just life and its tricks. I closed my eyes, the tears I wept not seeming to run out at all, as the Focus Punch made contact with my body.

I felt every bone in my body crack.

Every organ cease to work.

Everything black out.

The last things I saw were his teary eyes.

Or was it just that incredibly handsome devilish blue hue?

I didn’t care anymore.

I felt his regret anyway.

It mixed with the last bits of love I still felt for him.

Wow. That was awesome

I thought the emotion was just right in that, despite it not being very long, it laid them down and didn't try to say anything else.

It did what it set out to do and I think you achieved something very good here.

easily your best.
    Skogsrĺ

Author's Profile

Expired tokens? They ate my fairly lengthy review! This is an outrage!

Anyway, now I have something to entertain me when I'm in a particularly evil mood. Wonderful.

I like how there are actually two parallel deaths in each story: one of them is the character's body going viscerally and painfully the way of the Two-Week-Dead-Fish, and the other is the character's mind going after some tragedy (I noticed, always concerning some other close person). It seems as though the mudkip and the caterpie are already consigned to despair as soon as a trainer leaves or a family casts it away, which is deliciously gloomy. The death is only the last stage of the poisoning/burning.

I calculated along duncan's lines about the cyndaquil falling for ten seconds, and it turns out its velocity at impact with the water will be around 98 metres per second; that's 352-something kilometres per hour. Water is soft and a cyndaquil is light, but I think that will smart in the nonexistent morning.

I also thought the Fighting chapter was your best. Here is my theory why: in all the other stories the deaths are a matter of pure brutish accident: the cyndaquil falls off a cliff just after a victory, we never hear how the mudkip is poisoned, all you say about the caterpie's death is that the Holy Pokémon appointed it; it's even admitted that such a dramatic death is definitely unwelcome to the caterpie's sensibilities. In this story however everything is governed by artistic themes expressing themselves in physical ways. Another pokémon causes this death, and for a real reason; the ralts has a choice, but chooses not to fight the pokémon (which I thought was rather poignant); there's an advanced backstory to the death, not only to demonstrate what a horrible life the dying person has lived, but to explain the direct cause of the death. This is always more interesting than dull accident. Hm, perhaps this is my critique for this review.

Couldn't resist:

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy
    Anyway, what I want to say is pretty much summed up in what the others have said, but I feel like being a pretentious observer and using long words to describe what went on. *puts on Lloyd Grossman voice*
    Damn, Diddy, you just defined a Luphinid Silnaek review.

*gets rid of even more e-cobwebs compared to Stars*

HOLY F*CK, IT'S BEEN WAY TOO LONG.

Before anything else, I'd like to say thank you to both Diddy and Luphinid Silnaek for their reviews of Fighting almost two years ago. Much appreciated, and I do agree that Fighting's the best so far. =)

So here I go again! After a year and ten months, I've actually finished another Perish one-shot and...I'm not all too happy with it! D: But I really felt like posting it since it's been in one of my notebooks for quite some time now, and I felt bad for not sharing it, so yeah. XD

The primary thing I don't like about this one is how it doesn't have much of a conclusion >_<. But, sadly, it shouldn't have much of a conclusion, because it links to another Perish one-shot. So it's technically a two-shot, and this is part one! Haha.

Nevertheless, enjoy! It's way longer as compared to Poison, Fire, Water and Fighting, so...yay? =D

Flying

“GET OUT!”

Those were two words I simply couldn’t accept. The colony was more than a home to me; I was blessed with the most amazing friends, witnessed so many unforgettable events, and held the most inseparable bonds with other people. It was where I grew up, where I had all my firsts – first steps, first friends, first problems – and where I hoped to have all my lasts.

But that was a fantasy tainted in all our eyes. We all had to accept the fact that we were bound to leave this place and join the dragon’s clan...

Unless you were destined to be the queen.

The colony’s queen served as the leader of the pack, the head figure anyone and everyone adored. She was assigned to a throne room adorned with several mysterious gems called “Everstones”, and that was where she would live for the rest of her life, her primary jobs being reproduction and management of the colony’s inhabitants.

Indeed, the role of the queen was something I dreamed – no, longed – to possess.

And I did possess it.

Almost.

The death of the last queen prompted a commotion within the colony. She was the last daughter of the royal line, leaving the position vacant for the first time since the colony’s birth. The royal guards – the males that possessed the royal blood – all announced that the next queen would be selected through an election. Several females would be nominated, and then the royal guards would select among them the one most worthy to start the next royal and be the colony’s next queen.

I was one of those females.

So long have I dreamed to be the queen of our colony. It was a very noble job, and definitely something that would complete my life. Oftentimes my friends would tell me to be one of the queen’s right-hand maids, which was the second highest title a female in our colony could possess.

But I would always give them a disapproving nod, make a long monologue about why I wanted to be the queen instead – indeed, it had something to do with the queen being the only one who stayed in the colony forever – and be met by either warm applause or cold stares.

Never did I care for the latter.

Anyway, I was one of eleven females nominated for coronation, but I was the only one out of all of them who wasn’t part of the upper class. All the other Trapinch didn’t have to work their butts off every day to sustain the colony. Instead, they stayed near the former queen, kissing up their asses so they could be her right-hand maids.

Well, I certainly proved that I was someone completely different; I was someone who was determined to be a good role model, someone other girls could look up to and not be ashamed, much like the queens of the colony’s beginnings. I really wanted – no, needed – to be our colony’s queen.

That obviously didn’t happen.

Instead, one of the spoiled bitches showed “amazing potential”, according to the royal guards. I, along with the other nine losers, was subsequently offered to become a right-hand maid, to which I proudly declined. I didn’t want to be around those self-obsessed brats who did nothing but kiss up to the queen all day long – or worse, turn into one of them.

So I returned to my daily duties as a worker Trapinch. I made new friends and ran into new problems, but still loved my colony. I never wanted my time in it to end.

Unfortunately, it did.

At a certain point in our lives, all Trapinch will begin to emit some sort of aura, signaling that it was time for that Trapinch to undergo metamorphosis. It was a mystery to all of us, but we did know two things.

One, that the queen will never experience it.

And two, that a Trapinch experiencing it will be automatically kicked out of the colony.

I experienced it.

I was politely asked to leave the colony.

I didn’t.

I was forced to leave the colony.

I didn’t.

~^~

“GET OUT!”

Her voice was even louder than the first time she bellowed these same two words to me. Her highness was getting very irate at all my attempts of staying in the colony. I’ve battled them, revolted against them, hid from them; I did absolutely anything to prolong my stay.

But that had only angered the queen more.

“I banish you from this colony and assign you to whatever the Dragon Clan sees fit...” She said, those words all too familiar to me. No matter, I thought, this’ll just be another one of those days where she’ll be firing three or four royal guards for not fulfilling their job.

“...any other attempts you make against my decision will only force me to punish your friends.”

My jaw was wide open in shock. That statement hit me hard. I panned over to three of my best friends who attended my trial; all of them looked absolutely terrified as the queen said those words. As much as I wanted to stay, I couldn’t stand seeing them suffer the consequences of my actions. Right there and then, I decided that I had to do what I had to do.

I had to leave.

~^~

I awoke at the sound of deafening flutters.

I had no idea where I was. Everything around me shone a vibrant blue, with patches of white placed here and there. They were all merely blurs, though, as I yawned in dismay.

I was actually outside the colony.

“You’re finally awake. I was worried they drugged you a bit too much.”

I jumped out of shock. It was as if some sort of divine presence was speaking to me out of nowhere. For a moment I thought I was, well, you know, dead. The white surroundings, the sound of fluttering wings, the mystical voice...panic instantly took over my body as I let out a dry scream.

“No, you’re not dead, silly. You’re just flying.”

Flying? I was completely mystified by the term, but my current situation didn’t really give me enough room to think.

“That’s an action that Pokemon with appendages called wings can do,” the voice said monotonously, as if it was reading a script. “Those are the weird sounds you hear right now.”

“Okay, who the fuck are you?” I muttered, completely overcome with exasperation and confusion. “And how the fuck do you know what I’m thinking?”

“Because,” the voice answered in the same bored tone, “every Trapinch who’s gone before you have wondered, thought, and asked the same thing. Your reactions are more...entertaining, though. I actually hoped that, since you were different, you’d be more, well, unmystified.”

“Different? Unmystified?” I repeated.

“You actually put in a little spunk before being forced out of the colony,” the mysterious presence answered. “Kudos, dude.”

“I’m a girl,” I dully corrected. “And you haven’t answered my other question yet. Who are you?”

“Oh, my bad,” the voice replied. “I’m the Pokemon you’re riding on right now.”

I almost fainted. Everything suddenly made sense and made absolutely no sense at the same time. For one, it explains the “flying”, the whirring sounds and the light-headedness, but everything else made me so damn confused.

But then it hit me.

“I’m a Flygon,” the voice continued nonchalantly, “which is what you’re gonna be once you’re done with your metamorphosis.”

This Pokemon – Flygon – was who I was going to be, or at least, look like. It was a member of the Dragon’s clan, the very place I objected to be part of. Scenes of me being forcibly drugged by some powdery substance and dragged to the colony’s exit suddenly ran through my head. I knew that all my attempts against it were in vain, and this was the outcome.

Game over.

“...but actually, you’re gonna be a Vibrava first,” the Flygon concluded after what seemed like a long monologue I didn’t listen to. “Actually, I should ask you, why didn’t you want to evolve? Being a Vibrava’s scary and all, but it’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Why do you care?” I snarled.

“I don’t,” it answered. “It’s just fun to know what the newbies think. Plus, in all honestly, you’ve been the most interesting one I’ve escorted in months.”

I couldn’t help but let out a weak smile at the Flygon’s remark, but I didn’t make an effort to hide my annoyance. “Well, to put it bluntly, I don’t want to be a dragon.”

“And why is that?” The Flygon followed up.

“I didn’t want to leave my colony,” I said, letting out a disappointed sigh. “But I guess that didn’t work out well.”

“I guess so,” the dragon replied in an almost mocking tone that I swore he was chuckling.

“Here’s what I think,” the Flygon continued. “Your cause is pretty, well, pathetic.”

Way to be blunt, I thought, almost out loud.

“I admire your dedication to the colony, but really now, evolution is a natural occurrence. You should know better than to try and force yourself out of it. If Arceus really didn’t want you to evolve, he would’ve given you the title position as queen. But did he?”

I didn’t even want to answer. The Flygon’s words all felt like the same, let-me-down kind of speeches most of my colleagues make whenever I tell them my almost-impossible-to-reach aspirations. In my mind, what I thought was what I thought, and if people would disagree to that, I’d blissfully ignore them.

“See? You’re not even answering!” The Flygon suddenly bellowed. “If you’re just gonna be a hard-headed bitch, then I don’t think you deserve to be part of the dragon clan. I should just leave you in that island over there...”

“Woah, okay, I’m sorry,” I said with the most genuinely sincere voice I could make. “I promise I’ll be cooperative from now on.”

“Good,” it said. “Although, if it were up to me...”

Then everything happened all at once. The ground my feet were firmly planted on suddenly shifted, and before I knew it, they were right above me. All it took were milliseconds for gravity to take over and force it off.

“I’d just get rid of bitches like you right here and now,” I heard the Flygon snicker from what seemed like a thousand meters above.

I let out a scream of anger, though I knew it was useless. Why was Arceus being so fucking cruel? First, I lost the position of queen to some stuck-up bitch. Second, I was forced out of the colony because my friends were threatened. Third, I met with some dumbass Flygon who did nothing but make me feel bad about myself.

And now, this. My surroundings – the sky – still looked like a blurred vibrant blue, only this time the blurring was vertical. Funny, I thought, which was probably the last my mind would conjure, my first time flying, and it’s gonna kill me. I could feel my body disintegrate from the speed of my fall, and I knew that whatever lay beneath me – pointed rocks, ocean water, barren land – would spell out death to me.

Actually, scratch that. I don’t think I’ll reach that far...

Necro-Bump xD

Has it really been 2 years? As John McClane and almost every middle aged action star ever has uttered, I'm getting too old for this shit

I have to admire your timing though, I've been hankering for a Trapinch for a while now (my team demands a Flygon), but in White, it's White Forest only and I have to wait until the right trainer comes along in my brothers Black. Heart Gold has that ridiculous Safari Zone which just isn't worth it at all, 30 Days for a Trapinch, really? Nor do I want to catch one in Hoenn, Pal Park it to Johto and PokéTransfer it to Unova.

Ranty Tangent aside, I enjoyed the hive mechanic you had with the Trapinch, it's something I've never thought of for them, but what you have does explain my confusion when upon first playing Sapphire, I spied a weird chompy guy in the desert and he evolved into a freaking dragon. You seem to put a lot of thought into that, which is good.

It actually took me a while to figure out what pokémon you were talking about at first, obviously the hive mechanic had me thinking Combee but there were parts that nagged a me saying, "dude, you're way off."

I was just about to point out an error, but then I just realised after quoting it all that you were right after all -_-

I can't wait to see if she starts flapping or not.
    Skogsrĺ

Author's Profile

Hurrah for another one of these - always liked these one shots, and this one was no exception. =)

Like diddy I quite liked the hive mentality and did also first think 'combee' with it (it also happens to fit the Flying typing as well, heh) but Trapinch is a neat Pokemon to explore imo too (and one of my favourite Pokemon evolution lines too, if only because it's so wtf in sequence XD).

The ending however did feel a bit rushed to me personally - somewhat added on and I didn't feel that the story had been quite concluded or rather had that fully 'resolved' for better or worse feeling to it at the end - maybe it's just me but I did feel that it was a weak point considering how intriguing the beginning was. (As a note you still use the short-sentence-paragraphs to good effect imo).

The death of the last queen prompted a commotion within the colony. She was the last daughter of the royal line, leaving the position vacant for the first time since the colony’s birth
    This seemed a bit odd to me - did this man that nobody had been born from her (seeing any offspring would imo technically be part of the 'royal line' as she was herself?). It doesn't quite sound right, this part, when I first read it nor when I thought about it - maybe this part ought to be changed?
    “Okay, who the **** are you?” I muttered, completely overcome with exasperation and confusion. “And how the **** do you know what I’m thinking?”
    Can't be bothered to censor dodge myself for the sake of the quote =p tbh although I quite liked the main character's personality in reading I think the fact she swore like this could have been introduced at an earlier stage of the story as it felt a bit jarring to me - I hadn't felt up to that stage to be in her character to result to such swears (not that I don't see her as thinking such things given what occurred, but she seemed more the sort to me to stick to 'posh', uppity insults - such as 'brats' used by her earlier). My thoughts on that anyway? =p
    “See? You’re not even answering!” The Flygon suddenly bellowed.
    Should be a small 't', so the rather than The.

Overall I liked it - as mentioned a few things here and there could be a touch better but yet I still quite enjoyed it. Here's to more perish one-shots!

A parody of the Pokemon Colosseum game, full of pastries and Miror B.
    Completed. Four times winner of Best Comedy/Funniest Fic.

Other Fics
    Unfortunately Blue | Notice: Keep Out | Turnabout Assumptions
    Song Parodies | Snapshots | Fairy Tale (new!)

Check out this Pokemon Magazine! Looking for contributors!
    Why should you? Well, Wynaut? Check the forums too!
    Current article: From RSE to ORAS - Top Ten Wanted Improvements!
    Avatar by minty-fivestar on DA, with edited background/cropping. Fic banner by cieux.

Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Ranty Tangent aside, I enjoyed the hive mechanic you had with the Trapinch, it's something I've never thought of for them, but what you have does explain my confusion when upon first playing Sapphire, I spied a weird chompy guy in the desert and he evolved into a freaking dragon. You seem to put a lot of thought into that, which is good.

It actually took me a while to figure out what pokémon you were talking about at first, obviously the hive mechanic had me thinking Combee but there were parts that nagged a me saying, "dude, you're way off."

I can't wait to see if she starts flapping or not.
    The hive mechanic was a really fun idea to play with, though initially I was going for them being based on an ant colony. In the end, though, incorporating elements from a beehive was inevitable, and it all added up to some good stuff. XD

Combee's freak me out too much for me to write about them. Hah.

The "sequel of sorts" of Flying is already in the works, but it won't be the next one I'm posting. Thank you for your review - always appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by bobandbill View Post
    Like diddy I quite liked the hive mentality and did also first think 'combee' with it (it also happens to fit the Flying typing as well, heh) but Trapinch is a neat Pokemon to explore imo too (and one of my favourite Pokemon evolution lines too, if only because it's so wtf in sequence XD).
    It instantly became one of my favorite Pokemon [when R/S came out] because of its evolution. It's almost as crazy as Remoraid and Octillery. XD

The ending however did feel a bit rushed to me personally - somewhat added on and I didn't feel that the story had been quite concluded or rather had that fully 'resolved' for better or worse feeling to it at the end - maybe it's just me but I did feel that it was a weak point considering how intriguing the beginning was. (As a note you still use the short-sentence-paragraphs to good effect imo).
    See, I really tried to make a good conclusion out of this, but all my efforts either break continuity or prolong it too much that the one-shot linking to it wouldn't have the same effect anymore. So I was stuck with this one. x_x I see your point, of course, and I'll take note of it.

This seemed a bit odd to me - did this man that nobody had been born from her (seeing any offspring would imo technically be part of the 'royal line' as she was herself?). It doesn't quite sound right, this part, when I first read it nor when I thought about it - maybe this part ought to be changed?
    I KNEW THERE WAS A FLAW IN THERE SOMEWHERE Right now I'm actually trying to find a good explanation for this. I'll edit it in soon enough, and by soon enough of course I mean when I'm not lazy anymore. Haha.

Can't be bothered to censor dodge myself for the sake of the quote =p tbh although I quite liked the main character's personality in reading I think the fact she swore like this could have been introduced at an earlier stage of the story as it felt a bit jarring to me - I hadn't felt up to that stage to be in her character to result to such swears (not that I don't see her as thinking such things given what occurred, but she seemed more the sort to me to stick to 'posh', uppity insults - such as 'brats' used by her earlier). My thoughts on that anyway? =p
    I do tend to make most of my characters channel some teenage rebel inside them and swear like there's no tomorrow. Heh. I'll also be fixing this soon enough - I was going for her being affected by the drug overdose which is why she acted that way, but it could use a little tweaking.

Thanks for the review bnb! Very much appreciated.

Normal is coming up soon! Intended it to be linked to Mother's Day and a personal event, so yeah. Hopefully by next week.

Why are all these Pokemon so cynical, and how are they aware of their deaths?

Oh, wait, this must be a Nuzlocke run. XD

Noice fics, btw, but I find it weird that the Caterpie in 'Fire' saw its last moments, when, usually, irl caterpillars just boil and bubble and die instantly.

Also, the Cyndaquil in 'Water' is a douchebag (ie; "my so-called 'friends'"), and the Ralts in 'Fighting' forgot how to use its signature move, Maximum Trolling Teleport.

As for types like Grass, Bug, and Dark, the deaths can actually be creepier (ie; spores growing in a Pokemon's lungs for Grass, a Pokemon killed by a swarm of Beedrill for Bug, and a trainer and his Pokemon murdered by a vengeful Champion for Dark) than with the more brutal and effiecient deaths seen with the other, more basic types seen before.

I love these stories! Personally, I liked poison the most, because I hate mudkipz (Don't kill me!). I would like to see what you do for dark, though
    [IMG]http://i51.*******.com/b3r2j5.jpg[/IMG]

Quote Originally Posted by Bugwarrior View Post
    : THAT'S IT! *turns to Milo* I DON'T WANT YOUR BALLS MILO!
    : o.o
    wifiguest3216: battle plz, no nasty plot, or sword dance, or dragon dance, and u HAVE TO LET me set up bellyzard, and no taunt, or heracross, and NO WEAVILE, and no substitute unless I have it. And dont use that many attacks and NO ROAR or WHIRLWIND. AND IF IM GOING TO LOSE, then quit the fight.
    Back early!

Quote Originally Posted by Sgeckledorf Spoongeblorb View Post
    Why are all these Pokemon so cynical, and how are they aware of their deaths?

Oh, wait, this must be a Nuzlocke run. XD
    HAHA. I actually wasn't aware of Nuzlockes the time I posted the first one [Poison]. When I found out about them I sure was reminded of this fic. XD

Noice fics, btw, but I find it weird that the Caterpie in 'Fire' saw its last moments, when, usually, irl caterpillars just boil and bubble and die instantly.

Also, the Cyndaquil in 'Water' is a douchebag (ie; "my so-called 'friends'"), and the Ralts in 'Fighting' forgot how to use its signature move, Maximum Trolling Teleport.
    For Fire and Fighting, I guess these were both ignored for dramatic effect Though I believe the Ralts in Fighting didn't Teleport because of how she felt towards the Monferno. As for Water, well, I feel that's how everyone would feel when you see your friends safely above ground as you plunge to your death.

As for types like Grass, Bug, and Dark, the deaths can actually be creepier (ie; spores growing in a Pokemon's lungs for Grass, a Pokemon killed by a swarm of Beedrill for Bug, and a trainer and his Pokemon murdered by a vengeful Champion for Dark) than with the more brutal and effiecient deaths seen with the other, more basic types seen before.
    While I already have Grass ****ust me, you're not too far ] and Dark [this one, though, you're kinda off] planned out, I still have no idea what Bug's going to be like. I like your idea, though, so maybe it'll just be that when I give up on thinking of something more creative. XD

Thanks for the review! Much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto123 View Post
    I love these stories! Personally, I liked poison the most, because I hate mudkipz (Don't kill me!). I would like to see what you do for dark, though
    Don't worry. I'll just think of punching you in the stomach in my mind.

I think Dark's gonna be one of the ones that'll be posted in the near future, since I actually already have a document reserved for it XD. Thanks for the review! =)

Time for another one! And while I'm glad you enjoyed the first five Perish one-shots [or not :P], this will be very different from what you've read so far. It won't be "woe is me, angst angst angst, death". Well, maybe some of the angst is still there. Haha.

This was meant to be a Mother's day piece, but since it's been three days, treat it as a post-Mother's day piece. XD

Posting it today also has much more meaning to me aside from the fact that it's the eleventh day of the month, but I'd rather keep it personal.

So without further ado, here's...

Normal

It was sunset when it happened.

Our clan was the second to the smallest of the four main clans of our species. The two bigger clans lived in northern Kanto and central Johto, while the smallest clan resided in a secluded forest in Unova. Several minor clans thrived in several other parts of the world, but rarely did we hear news from them, nor did we ever get the chance to meet them.

We resided in southern Sinnoh, in between two rural towns and near one of the region’s three great lakes. Trees of different sizes surrounded the area, and grass covered most of the ground. The sun was never too harsh and the rain and snow were very rarely strong. It was, in all ways, a peaceful place; not many trainers passed by, and not many other species lived in the area, and we didn’t have any conflicts with the ones that did – besides, the flocks of Starly and Staravia were always above ground, the lodges of Bidoof and Bibarel spent most of their time in the great lake, and the orchestras of Kricketot and Kricketune were nocturnal, so we rarely got in each other’s way. We were also in good terms with the usual visitors – the flocks of Doduo and Dodrio and the packs of Growlithe and Arcanine – so our little route was, as the Kricketune would say, “harmonious”.

The leaders of our clan – Father and Mother, we called them – were the most respected figures among us, and all the decisions they made regarding food, shelter, breeding or whatever else, we obediently followed. They were firm and strict, but at the same time they were kind and fair, so it was easy to fear them but even easier to love them.

Father used to be the strongest among all us males, the characteristic that gave him his position many years ago. Just looking at his purple horn already gave anyone the feeling of being pierced, and adding the accompaniment of his numerous purple back spikes and long purple tail showed just how dangerous a battler he was. One of the rumors that always went around between the young ones involved him beating out three Arcanine by himself many years ago when the visiting Growlithe pack was endangering our food supply. It explained how the usually aggressive Pokemon didn’t mind us whenever they visited, but Father neither confirmed nor denied it whenever he was asked.

But behind that tough exterior was a very big heart that cared for the clan – our clan wouldn’t be the prosperous group it was without his guidance. Despite his old age, he would always help out whenever a problem arose, and even though he didn’t have the same strength he used to, he was still one of the most diligent and hardworking Nidoking of the group. You could say he was a “gentle giant”; he demanded respect wherever he went, but he always did so with his reassuring smile.

On the other hand, Mother was the wisest among the females, which was also the reason why she became one of our leaders. She possessed most of Father’s physical features – the horn, the back spikes and the tail – only they were blue instead of purple and they were comparably smaller to Father’s, which made her look less threatening. She put that to good use, though, with being one of the friendliest, sweetest and most caring Nidoqueen of the clan. She, along with the elders, would teach all the newborn Nidoran about the basics of survival, the wonders of our world and the history of the clan.

Eight years ago, I was one of those newborn Nidoran, and I was one of those who admired Mother. I grew to admire Father as well as time passed by, but in my first years I always thought Mother was one of the greatest beings who ever lived. Her helpfulness, her generosity, her kind-heartedness – they all attributed to just how amazing Mother was. Until now I still believe she is so, and I don’t believe anything could ever change my opinion.

She truly was a mother to me. A mother to us.

Which is why that sunset became even more difficult to handle.

~^~

The sunset in question happened four years ago.

I was already a Nidorino by then, and the sky was slowly turning from a bright orange to a deep black. I was with a Nidorina, one that I had my eyes on for quite some time at that point, but that’s best reserved for another story.

We were both focused on a group of Kricketot dancing in a circle, with three or four Kricketune hovering above them and humming a series of notes when a Nidorino called our names. He wore a yellow sash around his neck, which indicated that he was one of Father’s messengers. He apologized for interrupting us, but then he urgently spoke four words in such a way that, to this day, I never forgot how it was said.

“It’s Mother! She’s dying!”

We immediately followed the messenger to the center of our territory to find several members of the clan encircling Mother, who was lying on her back with both of her hands perched on her cream-colored chest. She looked extremely weak; her skin wasn’t as vibrant of a blue as it always was, her face was dampened by her sweat and tears, and her breaths seemed almost forced out. From time to time she made loud, heavy coughs, which would cause her entire body to shiver out of excruciating pain.

Father stood beside her, not even trying to hide his tears. I had never seen him so sad, so broken, so powerless. He held her hand, his powerful claw gently caressing hers, and I could barely make out the “I love you” he muttered to her. Likewise, most, if not all, of the clan members around me were either teary-eyed or on the verge of wailing. The Nidorina I was with poured her tears onto my side, and while this had far more effect on me than it should had, it’s also best reserved for another story.

I myself was on the verge of letting all my tears out, but I held on. Mother taught me to be strong in these kinds of situations, to hold my head high when everything else seemed low, and I wasn’t about to let her down. Little did I know that the real magnitude of this situation was about to tear me apart.

The same messenger Nidorino that brought us here proceeded to tell us that Mother’s old age was getting the best of her. It had nothing to do with any external causes, but it was simply Mother’s internal organs reaching the end of their shifts. He then reminded us that several Nidoking and Nidoqueen have died because of the same reason, and reassured us that this was all “normal”.

That’s when I lost it.

Why, of all the words he could’ve used, did he choose to describe Mother’s condition as “normal”? I knew normal: evolution was normal, battling was normal, falling in love was normal – though I soon retracted this statement in my mind – even this particular sunset was normal. Death was normal, too, and that part of the Nidorino’s speech I understood.

But Mother wasn’t normal. Mother was far from normal. Mother didn’t have any trace of normalcy in her. Normal should never be used to describe anything about Mother. Her actions lost their normality because they were done by her, and her imminent death certainly wasn’t going to be classified as “normal”.

Mother was special. Mother was extraordinary. Everyone I knew loved her ever since they were taught by her as little Nidoran, and I knew they wouldn’t classify mother’s death as “normal” as well. There was only one Mother – one irreplaceable Mother – and this clan wouldn’t – won’t – live without her. She was one of – no, scratch that, she was the best Nidoqueen who ever lived. And never did I imagine that the time would come for her to leave us.

All these thoughts were locked off in my mind as I approached Mother for the very last time. We were all asked to form a straight line and give Mother our final words, and we all hastily obliged. When it was my turn, I gave her the biggest hug I could ever give. I licked her cheek, tasting the saltiness of her sweat and tears, then made a soft growl. I was more than surprised when she gave me a soft growl back, and while everyone else thought it was a result of her internal complications, it meant so much more to me.

It took three messengers and convincing words from the Nidorina I was with to drag me away from her.

A few hours later Mother died. We gave her a solemn ceremony and buried her corpse among the other great leaders that only our elders knew.

I would be lying if I said that I still held back my tears.

~^~

Father died a few weeks later, and while everyone mourned for his death as well, it didn’t have the same empty feeling as Mother’s death. He also died because of old age, and when that same messenger Nidorino made that same speech and called it “normal”, it didn’t leave me with the same ill feeling as before.

It’s been four years since that tragic sunset. I’m a Nidoking now, happily married and blessed with a daughter and two sons. That Nidorina from four years ago, she’s a Nidoqueen now, and she happens to be my lovely wife. Two new leaders have been chosen, and our clan remains as prosperous as it always was.

I tell that story to the kids everytime. I tell them how amazing of a person Mother was, how she inevitably changed my life, and how her death scarred me and broke me to pieces. My wife would always tell me how overdramatic I got, and the kids would smile and laugh whenever she teased me, but I knew that she knew how deep this event cut me.

To this day, nothing could compare to how I felt at that exact moment when I found out. It was as if I myself died a little inside.

Wait, is the 11th an anniversary of your mother's death? That's what I'm getting from this.

Also, I really like this oneshot. It treats death in a realistic way, as a part of life; albeit, it also shows exactly why we can't accept death, especially of those we love, for although death is a normal part of life, the people who we love are beyond normal to us.

Funny, I thought this one would involve suicide (or a Pokemon getting crushed by a Snorlax, which is Normal-type), a common (aka normal) cause of death.

Good stuff, btw! I can't wait for some more!

Wait, is the 11th an anniversary of your mother's death? That's what I'm getting from this.
    Nope, my mother's well and alive. You're on the right track though [aside from the eleventh part].

Also, I really like this oneshot. It treats death in a realistic way, as a part of life; albeit, it also shows exactly why we can't accept death, especially of those we love, for although death is a normal part of life, the people who we love are beyond normal to us.

Funny, I thought this one would involve suicide (or a Pokemon getting crushed by a Snorlax, which is Normal-type), a common (aka normal) cause of death.

Good stuff, btw! I can't wait for some more!
    The reason why I chose to do this for Normal is because mourning for the death of a loved one is pretty much "normal" to everyone. If you noticed, the death of the character in the story is said to simply be internal complications, which is IMO the equivalent of "natural death" in the Pokemon world.

Suicide is much too dark for Normal [*wink wink* =P]. And getting crushed by a Snorlax is kinda, well, too humorous. XD

Thanks for the review!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast