Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Steeling Peace of Mind! (578)

Riley is hot. I was hoping the guy would be Ash's dad becuase of the similarites in looks but nevermind. I do hope Ash grows up to be that handsome though.

My ideal battle ever!

This episode was ok... It was cool to see Lucario again. It was great to finally see Iron Island in this episode. It was odd to see all the Steel-Type Pokemon, even Empoleon and Lucario acting strange. It was interesting how Lucario was starting to act evil as the episode ended on a cliffhanger. It was cool to see Riley for the 1st time. It was interesting to see Barry and TR team up in this episode.

49/100

This is a pretty slow paced episode (which I think most episodes involving the evil teams tend to be-we have so few of them, though, that maybe this isn't a fair generalization), with a fantastic ending. There are the customary "pointless" battles, in my opinion anyway, with the millions of Golbat that seems to be just a requisite for episodes such as this; little details like that slow the pace down, but I guess are essential. There are also quite a few scenes with the berserk steel type pokemon, a little more than necessary. We get double dosages with Barry and Ash, Dawn, Brock, and it is a little much. Riley's overly dramatic entrance with Lucario is tied into this, so that adds a little to my annoyance with this. This isn't the first time we've seen Lucario, so some of the episodes attempts to show off Lucario as really cool are a little irritating-but, to the episodes credit, it's not like Ash, Dawn, and Brock act like they're not aware of its abilities. So it's really not too bad. In fact, the scenes with the mad steel pokemon are really quite shocking; you sense how serious the situation is, and that their lives are really at stake. And if Ash, Brock, Dawn, or Barry aren't careful, you know that they can be killed. That's really the reality of the episode, and there's a very atmosphere on this front. The tiresome thing of the constant exposure to these pokemon is not that the situation is not serious or impactful, but b/c you know that just by talking to the steel pokemon, the situation can't be resolved. You're aware of the problem with the steel pokemon, but you know the answer's not going to be found by interacting with them. I think that just a little too much time was spent on this. Also, the coincidence that Barry finds TG's hideout before Riley does is also a little hard to believe.

Again in this episode, you see how the group dynamics work. In fact, I think Ash shows himself to be a really complicated character here. His concern for Barry, and the way he tries to soothe Barry's touchy feelings that he can't help his own pokemon are nice shows of maturity from Ash. His recklessness in trying to help the steel pokemon, and even the final scene when Lucario loses control where Ash immediately jumps toward Lucario show his impulsive nature and tendency to act on his emotions as we know and really love. Dawn is critical of Ash in this episode (unlike last episode, where she was more surprised and lenient), really not thinking that his plans are going to work. Brock, again, is quite quiet. And it really works. You don't feel like he's the overly wise one; that's not it, b/c as reckless as Ash can be, at some level, you can tell he knows what he's doing (and that Brock respects that; you can tell the two work really well together in this episode: the planning at the beginning of which gym to go to, as well as the way Brock is noting how the Lairon is reacting to Pikachu's attacks rather than being critical of Ash's plan). But he is the most rational, and it's his persuasion that convinces Riley to allow the group to travel along with the aura guardian (right? is he an aura guardian?).

TR's characterization is spot on. They make it clear who they are: thieves, yeah, but thieves with hearts. It's also funny seeing how connected they are in the normal day to day lives of our heroes, with Jessie knowing which contest the twerps are heading for.

I like how the first few shots of Lucario here completely reflect Aaron's Lucario from Movie 8. And Ash and Brock's reaction is ambiguous enough that they could have seen the similarities, or not, depending on whether we count the movies as canon.
    I am not worried, Harry. I am with you.

^This is my new fanfic. It's a work in progress, so please read and comment at your discretion. I hope you like it. I think you will.

Many, many thanks to Mew, who created this exceptional banner!

Harry Potter and How I Met Your Mother are currently my life.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345