Thread: Desolate Land Diaries: The Discussion Thread of the Dangerous Dune Rats

Default Desolate Land Diaries: The Discussion Thread of the Dangerous Dune Rats

Approved by Psychic

Desolate Lands: The Life and Times of the Dangerous Dune Rats [PG 15]
    An AU RPG where Team Magma succeeds in screwing everything up. Welcome to the Desolate Lands.
    Alternate title: Mad Maxie: Fury Route

It’s a whole new world we live in. And it sucks. After Team Magma awakened Groudon using the Blue Orb, a new era was ushered in. Groudon’s primal forme was unleashed, and soon Team Magma lost control. One valiant 10 year old faced off against the beast in hopes of calming it. However, they failed and were eaten. The extremely harsh sun that was summoned by Groudon began depleting the world of nearly all sources of water. Oceans evaporated (with rejoice from IGN), leaving behind desolate salt flats, deep depressions, and cavernous canyons. Without water, much of the land was turned to desert and wastelands. Many pokemon species died out, being unable to adapt to the new world. Water and Ice type pokemon reached the brink of extinction, and seeing one now was only slightly more likely than seeing a Mew. Society collapsed as famine and drought plagued the land. Governments were unable to handle the unrest and collapsed right along with it. Cities now lay in ruin, and many have begun to be swallowed by the ever expanding desert. In an effort to expand and develop civilization, Team Magma ended up dooming it.

That was many years ago, and now most people living in this barren world were born into it. People had to revert back to more primal ways of life. Many people had to become nomads, searching the scorched remains of the earth for food and water. Some people managed to create small communities that could support themselves. In some rare cases, city-states arose, powerful and often greedy. No matter if you were a tribal nomad or the ruler of a city-state, you had to fight for your own survival. This world was uncaring and unforgiving. If you don’t fight for what’s yours, it won’t be yours for very long.

Even in the bleakest of times, there still shines a glimmer of hope. Since the resurrection of Groudon, there have been tales of how to reverse it. The Blue Orb, the tool that failed to control Groudon, has been claimed to be what the world needs. No one has been able to locate it, though. It has been so long now that most people consider it a myth, akin to the Holy Grail. A relic lost to time, buried in the ruins of civilization. That doesn’t stop people from trying to get their hands on it, however. Everyone has their own motivations. Fame, power, glory; some even just out of the good of their hearts. If someone were to locate the Blue Orb again, they would be able to awaken and control Kyogre, bringing water back to the world.

You happen to be one of these people. What your motivations are are up to you. But you have found yourself in a gang of people with the same goal in mind: find the Blue Orb. The gang’s leader, Elara, is very open with her reasoning. She wants revenge. She wants to drown the emperors in the same resource that crowned them and return water to the people. And she will stop at nothing to reach that goal. Her ragtag group of outlaws and survivalists may not seem like a threat, but what she knows may be enough to bring an end to the Desolate Land.

RP Thread

Current Players:
    Elara - Shampoo Thief
    Bags - Shampoo Thief
    Ander - Omegagoldfish
    Whisper - Schade
    Vern - Vern
    Luna - Vern
    Legna James Krad - Iegnak
    Morgan - Iegnak
    Agatha “Bootstrap” Pridmore - Samayouru

Alright guys here's the discussion thread. Here we will discuss the RPG. Topics such as character interactions, questions about the game, plot planning, etc. will be talked about here. In addition, I am planning to offer you guys choices on which direction you want to go in. This could be something like "kill these bandits or leave them be" or other choices the plot might bring us to.

All normal Cafe rules apply. Don't have any rules of my own to add.

Alright, discuss

Yay! The Discussion thread is up! *throws confetti*

All right, I guess I'll start with something I mentioned briefly in Agatha's bio. I have this little sub-plot idea for her in which she attempts to locate a fossil at some point, and I'm not sure how that would play out considering that it's implied from what I've read on the SU topic that capturing Pokemon isn't going to be an easy task. That, and the seas have been reduce to a big pile of salt, so I'm not sure how that would work out. Any details I should take into consideration?

A journeyfic set in a dystopian Unova - LAST UPDATE: Chapter 3
    (Banner by me)

My FB Profile

I posted, and the discussion thread came up, today is a lucky day for al. *inhales confetti and dies*

Again: Really sorry my post took too long, and I saw only one of you mentioned my character anyway (And even that was very bfrief), so I took the liberty of conjouring a smal backstory to how he got to the rest.

That Dusclops is adorable. lol. the rest of you, feel free to call him out on his bluff. He's not that good of a bluffmaker to begin with.

Sama, let me think about how to best go about that. It would be pretty easy to find a fossil in this world I would think. Your backstory also gave me an idea for a plot line involved the NRA creating fossils and using the pokemon as weapons, but I haven't ironed that one out yet. How would you plan to revive it?

Quote Originally Posted by Shampoo Thief View Post
    Sama, let me think about how to best go about that. It would be pretty easy to find a fossil in this world I would think. Your backstory also gave me an idea for a plot line involved the NRA creating fossils and using the pokemon as weapons, but I haven't ironed that one out yet. How would you plan to revive it?
    I'm not too sure - I'm guessing that the NRA would probably have branched out a bit concerning efficiency. I was thinking that because Agatha's father knows a lot about reviving fossils and how the machine works, it wouldn't be too hard for him to make portable ones, and have his role reassigned to being someone who makes quicker and more efficient reviving machines as time goes on. I'm guessing by this point if we're going by ORAS lore that reviving fossils wouldn't be as complex as they made it out to be in R/S/E. All they'd need is an electric type like Magneton or something to power it.

So what I'm thinking is that one half of Agatha's sub-plot/fossil quest would be obtaining the fossil in question, which would probably be about a quarter of the way into the RP depending on how much travelling gets done and if Agatha starts making friendships with other characters. The other half would be dependant on what you've got in store for encounters with the NRA. If you're thinking about having them harvesting fossils to create Pokemon as weapons, then that might not be a bad idea (like, have them in a location that the group has to get through for some reason, and there's no other way around it or they can't go back the way they came, or something along those lines). Of course, that could give Agatha the chance to revive her fossil, but I'd like to give everybody a chance to discuss it as well, because they might be able to suggest some ideas, too.

(Banner by me)

My FB Profile

Hey guys sorry for being MIA I'm traveling abroad and was expecting to have more time and more wifi than I do. I am gonna try to get some stuff up as soon as I can! I'll be back in the states in a week, so posts should become more regular then.

I've got an idea for the NRA and fossils which would come into play when we get to the desert in Hoenn (whats it called again?). But yeah I was thinking of having them trying to revive them for weapons/ profit since most fossils are mostly water types. I think we can make a cool side story for you and a fossil. The group would be passing thru and stumble upon a whole operation for excavation of fossils. Bad news for us but a perfect opportunity to snag a fossil

I've got an idea for the NRA and fossils which would come into play when we get to the desert in Hoenn (whats it called again?).
    Everywhere? Normally, route 112.
    Still finite.

I've got an idea for the NRA and fossils which would come into play when we get to the desert in Hoenn (whats it called again?). But yeah I was thinking of having them trying to revive them for weapons/ profit since most fossils are mostly water types. I think we can make a cool side story for you and a fossil. The group would be passing thru and stumble upon a whole operation for excavation of fossils. Bad news for us but a perfect opportunity to snag a fossil
    Yay! I do have a fossil in mind, and it's going to be a Claw Fossil, mostly due to it being the fossil her dad was going to revive for her before he got caught hiding it. I am sure it will be a truly magical adventure ~

(Banner by me)

My FB Profile