85. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sprites

20 23.53%
  • Models

65 76.47%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sprites or Models?

Default Sprites or Models?

Like the title says, which do you prefer? The sprites used in the Pokemon games from Gen 1 to Gen 5, or the models in Pokemon XY/ORAS? It depends on what Pokemon honestly, some look amazing in models while others shine in sprites more.

I will always prefer any kind of cel-shaded Pokémon model. They feel more alive now.

I honestly prefer sprites to 3D models in general, not only Pokemon. But, like you said, some Pokemon look better in 3D, while others look better in sprites.
    I'll also add that I prefer B/W Pokemon animations to the X/Y ones. I don't know exactly why, but B/W animations gave Pokemon more... personality, in my opinion.
    Last edited by Crystagon; 14th September 2014 at 7:38 PM.
    FC: 3754-7973-9646

Models, any day.

They make the Pokemon seem a lot more life-like now.
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

Though they are amazing and alive, the models just don't have that... Nostalgic zing to them. I am a big fan of pixel art, too, and I learned a lot about pixel art from Pokémon.
    Dark Friend Safari with
    - -
    Friend Code: 0576 - 5970 - 2604

PM before you add me!

Models, all day. Not that I dislike sprites, but the models just make them feel more alive and not so... flat.

Made by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design

This was a tough choice for me since I like both sprites and models, and don't have a strong preference for one over the other.
    I ultimately voted for models, for the "they feel more alive" reason others already gave.

I generally prefer the models, as it makes the Pokemon seem more realistic-looking to me. The one thing I don't like about them is that many of the colors became duller in the transition from 5th to 6th gen (especially in their shiny forms; Scolipede and Liepard are two examples off the top of my head). I hope that the original colors get restored at some point in newer installments.

Friend Safari - Bug with Butterfree/Volbeat/Vivillon - PM me for my FC!
        Spoiler:- Shiny hunting stuff:

Models, the Pokemon actually act and react in the battle and they always look like they are supposed to.

I'd definitely say models, some pokemon where shafted or just otherwise didn't look good in sprite form *looks at Banette* but now with models pokemon as a whole tend to look a lot better and more true to their concept art.

Although sprites did seem to do better with coloration but I guess that's something they can work on overtime.
    To lack fear is stupidity, to face it is bravery.

Definitely models,they look more realistic.I'm glad they have finally got rid of the awful Generation V sprites.
    Last edited by KyogreThunder; 15th September 2014 at 9:20 PM. Reason: error

Models, but some of them definitely need improvement. I hope Game Freak plans on making better models over time, just like they did with the sprites.
    Last edited by SKyLineR32; 15th September 2014 at 9:22 PM.

I'm in love with the models to be honest. The Pokemon look so much fuller. You can get a much better feel for the simple scale of some Pokemon. Not only do they look great in battles, but playing with them in Pokemon Amie... they just look fabulous and expressive. Not only having passive animations, but animations for attacks and defending... I don't know. I just love it. And I'm looking forward to every game after this one (I hope) implementing the models as much as possible and new animations being created for them.

Quote Originally Posted by SKyLineR32 View Post
    Models, but some of them definitely need improvement.
    What ones?

Models any day, its just so awesome to see Pokemon in 3D

Currently looking for a 6IV Pichu or Pikachu in a standard Pokeball with the egg move Volt Tackle, PM me and I'll provide what I can

Despite thinking models look amazing, i still like sprites the best, especially the static ones. when i was a kid i imagine the sprites moving and some of those gen 1 and 2 sprites stay in my heart. Some of the models look way better than the sprites though (eelektross, druddigon and sawk)

Quote Originally Posted by Tonguetyd View Post
    What ones?
    Audino is just awfull. I love it's sprite but the model is so ugly. Sneasel, one of my all time favorite pokemon is a disapointment as it looks so inactive. I don't like it's crossed arms at all. There's other's i'm sure, but i can't recall now.
    THE HYPE IS REAL! HOENN IN 3D! My favorite gen! <3 you GF

<3 you: greninja, furfrou, meowtic m, barbaracle, dragalge, aurorus, gourgheist, avalugg, noivern, yveltal, megaY, mega megamegamegamega

the very best:

Something about gen 2 sprites are just amazing, they are just crazy good.

I'm voting sprites.
    This is mostly because I feel that the sprites have more personality. Both the sprites from gen III and gen IV in particular managed to give them a lot of personality while still giving an accurate description of the pokémon. The gen V sprites on the other hand are probably my least favorite, the motions look so busy and unnatural.

This is not to say that I don't like the models. While the current models do look more realistic I just think they look a bit boring(but there are exceptions like Mr. Mime). However I think that models have a lot of potential but right now I prefer sprites.

Quote Originally Posted by phanpycross View Post
    Something about gen 2 sprites are just amazing, they are just crazy good.
    There really is. I think crystal's (due to correct coloration) and HGSS's sprites nailed almost all pokemon and gave them that personality that just made them unique. Stuff like sneasel and raikou are amazing and there was no better depictions of those pokemon yet. Although, some of the gen 1 sprites (especially yellow) look amazing and no other sprite/model did it better. Stuff like yellow's pikachu line, sandslash, ninetales, clefaiy, the whole abra line and geodude lines, cloyster, drowzee and especially zapdos look amazing and no other sprites came even close. Other examples i can recall are green's blastoise, raticate and aerodactyl aswell as blue's nidoqueen look so similar to sugimori's art it's amazing. And then there's stuff like red/blue's ivysaur, raticate, slowbro, machamp, rapidash, hypno, seadra, magmar, pinsir, tauros, gyarados, lapras and dragonite that while not being very fateful to the originals, have something that makes them awesome to me. And then there's stuff like HGSS's kabutops, dragonair and DP milotic that make these pokemon i love so much so great. You can probably tell by now that i really love the sprites. yep, i do.Although as i said, there are some models that made the pokemon better, such as druddigon and sawk.

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    I'm voting sprites.
    This is mostly because I feel that the sprites have more personality. Both the sprites from gen III and gen IV in particular managed to give them a lot of personality while still giving an accurate description of the pokémon. The gen V sprites on the other hand are probably my least favorite, the motions look so busy and unnatural.

This is not to say that I don't like the models. While the current models do look more realistic I just think they look a bit boring(but there are exceptions like Mr. Mime). However I think that models have a lot of potential but right now I prefer sprites.
    I kinda agree, gen 5 sprites had some strange motions IMO. In the games b4, the still sprite was strong enough to transmit that spirit that they so masterfully implanted in the sprites. The models are indeed for most of the cases, a little boring (with some exceptions of course). But i welcome the change to models and i'm expecting improvement in every instalment.

<3 you: greninja, furfrou, meowtic m, barbaracle, dragalge, aurorus, gourgheist, avalugg, noivern, yveltal, megaY, mega megamegamegamega

the very best:

I waited for meodels for my entire pokemon career, starting with blue back in the day. But i had to vote for sprites, the color on the models just looks off to me, especially the shinies. Purple is my favorite color and shiny lapras was my favorite shiny but the color in X and Y just looks so terrible, and its not kjust lapras many others too. I would love models if they correct the colors a little.
    Most recent shinies
    Current Hunts
    Kanto dex(51/150) holding

Latios (OR)

I am going with models, they seem to make the Pokemon more alive with more dynamic attack animations particularly when the Pokemon faints. Some Pokemon however look a bit silly as models, notably some of the ones that can be used in Sky Battles.

Sprites do allow more dynamic posing of the Pokemon however.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Karis from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukuyomi56 View Post
    I am going with models, they seem to make the Pokemon more alive with more dynamic attack animations particularly when the Pokemon faints. Some Pokemon however look a bit silly as models, notably some of the ones that can be used in Sky Battles.

Sprites do allow more dynamic posing of the Pokemon however.
    Oh yeah, i think there's no single flying pokemon (not flying type) model that looks good. I don't like the fact that those pokes are always flying no matter what.

the very best:

Honestly I prefer the sprites. I like the models as well, but I just loved the animation of Black and White's sprites. To me that seems cool. I hope they would go with that style again someday.
    Shiny Count: 50

Thanks Eeveelover824 for the animated banner!

Thanks Fairywitch for the button!

I think it just depends on what is being used for tbh, I personally never like the old sprites but when making graphic art work they tend to work better with userbars, and xat avitars. I'f it comes down to game play i like the models better 3d graphics of the pokemon moving looks like pokemon stadium much better imo as well as they make the shiny colors look way better. Also, it actually makes the green shinies look better and not a nasty color XD
    Last edited by FairyWitch; 21st October 2014 at 1:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by magma grunt edu View Post
    Oh yeah, i think there's no single flying pokemon (not flying type) model that looks good. I don't like the fact that those pokes are always flying no matter what.
    It would be beautiful for most bird-like Pokémon to stand on the ground when idle but flutter up into the air to evade ground type moves like Earthquake(or just for an evasion animation in general).

More interactive battle environments and sprites that interact with them would be amazing.
    Beware, I live.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast