Thread: Overrated Pokemon

Default Overrated Pokemon

There are lots of pokemon out there, but I feel like the community as a whole gravitates to a few of them more than most. The biggest offender (for me) is Lucario. Lucario isn't anything to special or new, but manages to find its way to many a top ten list. I wouldn't dislike lucario as much as I do if it weren't so popular.

Note: I don't personally dislike you for liking lucario, I just don't like lucario, at all.

What other Pokemon receive undue praise (or hate!) from the community at large?

Pokemon Showdown: chess-z
    Friend Code: 3883-9258-9472
    tumblr

if u ever take issue with anything that i say let me know
    polite disagreement leads to enlightenment

Charizard comes to mind. I think it looks cool, but so many fans seem to worship it mostly due to nostalgia I'm guessing.

Why dislike something for being popular?

I guess if I had to say any Pokémon is "overrated" under your definition, it would be Pikachu, just in the sense that it's given opportunities almost no other Pokémon get. I wouldn't mind it so much if the things were just introduced by Pikachu and then were expanded upon, but that's usually not the case.

Black Lives Matter

Three Words: Too Much Pikachu

Pikachu is most overrated Pokemon ever, but I'm fine with Lucario and Greninja, they're both cool. ^^

IMO, Electabuzz is so much better than Pikachu, why not give E-Buzz some more love?
    Saffron City, The Lumiose of Kanto

Charizard - easily. The two mega evolution versions prove that lol

Espeon is absorbed in it’s own appearance,
    just as always!

Quote Originally Posted by Sephora View Post
    Oh! I have one: what about a shipping name with a french word at the beginning since Kalos is based off of France? Like childhood or blush or whatever, but in French? Like Amourshipping or whatever.

Lucario as the opening post mentioned. Even in like the anime it always has to be overpowered for some reason

Yeah, I feel like we're using the wrong definition of "overrated" here.

Just because a Pokémon is popular and is provided attention relative to that popularity and one happens to dislike that Pokémon, that does not make it "overrated."

If going into Sun & Moon, we happened to hype up Solgaleo, saying things like, "It will destroy the metagame competition!" or "It's the second coming of Arceus!" and then it happens to be your everyday box legend in terms of battling, THAT is being overrated.

No sense in throwing the word around simply because one dislikes a popular Pokémon.

Black Lives Matter

Cool, cool.

Overrated might be poor wording but we can tell what he actually means though.

Pikachu, not because I really really hate Ash. Its because he's the face of Pokemon and he's kinda seems a regular mouse Pokemon for me but they are making it an overpowered little mouse

Thanks to American--Pi for this awesome banner and userbar!

Quote Originally Posted by CptScorpion View Post
    Three Words: Too Much Pikachu

Pikachu is most overrated Pokemon ever, but I'm fine with Lucario and Greninja, they're both cool. ^^

IMO, Electabuzz is so much better than Pikachu, why not give E-Buzz some more love?
    Because Pikachu is the mascot of the Pokemon Company.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Cool, cool.

Cool. So can I. Clearly. I'm just saying that maybe we shouldn't go around using words incorrectly and look like idiots. That's all.

Black Lives Matter

Quote Originally Posted by Lunala View Post
    Cool, cool.

It's she but valid points. Would unfairly popular pokemon be more apt? I guess I used overated to communicate my (subjective) dislike of the popularity of these pokemon.

Pokemon Showdown: chess-z
    Friend Code: 3883-9258-9472
    tumblr

if u ever take issue with anything that i say let me know
    polite disagreement leads to enlightenment

Metagross.

Pikachu is the most overrated electric-type Pokemon.

Pikachu I suppose fits. I do like it and use it frequently, but it's not an uber tier in any way, a lot of it's move set is actually pretty basic. And Raichu is one of the best looking evolutions that sadly gets undermined for this.

I admit, besides it being the first obtained Mega Evolution in Gen 6, I don't feel that driven to use Lucario.

Pikachu definitely. In Pokemon Yellow, its only redeeming quality is its speed, although it's actually okay in Smash.

Gardevoir, Lucario, and, of course, Charizard

Alone we fall, United we stand
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Alpha Sapphire squad is ready for competitive action!

Mewtwo, like there's no competition. It's been overhyped since '98 and I still don't get the appeal. :/