Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the most redudant ability?

Default What's the most redudant ability?

By redundant I mean that it wouldn't make much of a difference if it didn't have the ability.

And just to clarify I'm not talking about abilities that Pokémon can use but can't do much with.

As for me I have a few.

Rotom-air: It's already flying type, so it's immune to ground type moves by default.
    Rhyperior: (Lighting road) In double battles it might be useful, but in single battles it does literally nothing. The boost doesn't work for him since he's immune to electric by default
    Stunfisk: (Limber) In the generation it was introduced in it might have had a point, but now electric-types are immune by default. So it does nothing.
    I'm a huge Pokémon fan and also love movies.

I'm also a video maker on YouTube. If you wanna see my YouTube channel click here.

Run Away. Useless.
    I love my cute little Machop!

Come on, you know Machop is cute! I mean, who couldn't love those endearing eyes? That adorable face? That loving embrace?

Just don't call it cuddly or else it will hurt you.

Credit to pokefan#493 for the userbar and Northern Lights for the badge

Click the banner to go to this forum's branch of the Bring Back Bionicle Club.

I am now the rightful claimer of Machop in the Official Claim A Pokemon Thread v5! [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/2z57udz.jpg[/IMG]

Not really redundant because of the Pokémon that they are associated with, but abilities that are the exact same as other abilities are pretty redundant. Examples:

Huge Power/Pure Power
    Insomnia/Vital Spirit
    Mold Breaker/Teravolt/Turboblaze

I mean seriously, all the above abilities are the exact same as the ones they are slashed with, and there is no reason for them to be. I know Game Freak has, in the last two generations, given the version legendaries unique abilities, but there is no point to give them an ability that is the same as another, only with a. different name.
    Quote Originally Posted by carnivalmar View Post
    leern to spel i canot reed
    Ironic, isn't it?

Quote Originally Posted by Kansas_Rocks! View Post
    Not really redundant because of the Pokémon that they are associated with, but abilities that are the exact same as other abilities are pretty redundant. Examples:

Huge Power/Pure Power
    Insomnia/Vital Spirit

I mean seriously, all the above abilities are the exact same as the ones they are slashed with, and there is no reason for them to be. I know Game Freak has, in the last two generations, given the version legendaries unique abilities, but there is no point to give them an ability that is the same as another, only with a. different name.
    Actually, as of Emerald Version, Vital Spirit has a use outside of battle that Insomnia doesn't: If the Pokémon with Vital Spirit is leading your party, it increases your chances of finding higher-leveled wild Pokémon.
    My 3DS Friend Code: 5129-1887-3797
    Check out my Mega Evolution ideas: Mega Evolution Bios
    Check out my ideas for Sinnoh remakes: The Sinnoh Remakes
    Check out my ideas for a third Orre game: Pokémon XD: Darkness Within
    My Friend Safari:
    My Shinies:

Quote Originally Posted by RoarOfTime91 View Post
    Actually, as of Emerald Version, Vital Spirit has a use outside of battle that Insomnia doesn't: If the Pokémon with Vital Spirit is leading your party, it increases your chances of finding higher-leveled wild Pokémon.
    So Insomnia is completely unneeded. There is no reason to have two abilities that have the exact same in battle effects.
    Ironic, isn't it?

Huge Power/Pure Power
    Insomnia/Vital Spirit

Think about it like this.

Would it make sense if Sharpedo could have Iron Barbs? No, it wouldn't.

These abilities might be redundant, but they have different names because in many cases the original name doesn't really fit with the species of that Pokémon.
    Last edited by Blaze The Movie Fan; 22nd April 2015 at 3:03 AM. Reason: Oops, I talked about moves when I meant abilities.

I'm also a video maker on YouTube. If you wanna see my YouTube channel click here.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    Think about it like this.

Would it make sense if Sharpedo could learn Iron Barbs? No, it wouldn't.

These moves might be redundant, but they have different names because in many cases the original name doesn't really fit with the species of that Pokémon.
    Yes, I know linguistic flavor has a reasoning here, but why can't you say that Ferrothorn has Rough Skin? Rough Skin was created first and it describes Ferrothorn pretty well. Plus, with the original three groupings, anything with Insomnia could be said to have a vital spirit, and Pure Power and Huge Power are completely interchangeable, as they both mean pretty much mean the same thing.
    Ironic, isn't it?

Lightning Rod on Mega Sceptile, all it does is guarantee Electric-types can't Volt Switch out (although the immunity to Thunder Wave can be useful in certain situations).

Quote Originally Posted by graymelancholia View Post
    Lightning Rod on Mega Sceptile, all it does is guarantee Electric-types can't Volt Switch out (although the immunity to Thunder Wave can be useful in certain situations).
    Actually it does help. Its special attack stat does increase.

And before you say no one is dumb enough to use an electric attack against it, keep in mind that we send out an Arcanine to counter what Pokémon the opponent is using.

Damp on Jellicent, They're already immune to normal attacks so why give them an ability that makes immune to Selfdestruct and Explosion
    Turboblaze and Teravolt they're just Mold Breaker AGAIN, they do nothing different from Mold Breaker so why do they exist

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Huge Power/Pure Power
    Insomnia/Vital Spirit

Other than what's already been said about Insomnia and Vital Spirit, does it bother anyone else that there's a Pokemon that gets one of said two abilities as its natural ability and the other as its hidden? That's the exact opposite of useful.

Seriously Delibird, get it together.

3DS FC : 0216-1419-1333
    IGN: Sky
    Friend Safari: Bug

Flash Fire.

Every pokemon capable of having Flash Fire is a Fire-type, so there is already STAB to boost Fire moves. Even more so, I can't imagine anyone ever attacking a Fire-type with a Fire-type move, considering it doesn't even do normal damage.
    Last edited by PrinceOfFacade; 22nd April 2015 at 5:17 AM.
    LILYCOVE CITY GYM
    Please leave feedback on my gym via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying it.

Quote Originally Posted by PrinceOfFacade View Post
    Flash Fire.

Every pokemon capable of having Flash Fire is a Fire-type, so there is already STAB to boost Fire moves. Even more so, I can't imagine anyone ever attacking a Fire-type with a Fire-type move, considering it doesn't even do normal damage.
    It's more for you to switch in on fire type moves that are thrown at you from the AI. Plus Flash Fire gives an extra STAB boost, so every fire type move does 2.25 damage, which is huge.
    Ironic, isn't it?

It's more for you to switch in on fire type moves that are thrown at you from the AI. Plus Flash Fire gives an extra STAB boost, so every fire type move does 2.25 damage, which is huge.
    It seems incredibly unnecessary and not worth the hassle, especially considering you'll be switching in on a whim.

You might as well ensure your pokemon's stats are well enough to issue strong hits at all times than depend on Flash Fire.
    LILYCOVE CITY GYM
    Please leave feedback on my gym via PM, if you'd like. I want to make sure people are truly enjoying it.

Huge Power/Pure Power
    The reason why these two are considered redundant is due to a translation error. Huge Power in Japanese means "Muscleman", while Pure Power in Japanese means "Yoga Power". This is why Medicham doesn't have Huge Power instead of Pure Power.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshino View Post
    Damp on Jellicent, They're already immune to normal attacks so why give them an ability that makes immune to Selfdestruct and Explosion
    It also protects the partner in Doubles.

I also love how nobody mentioned Illuminate, since like Run Away it has no competitive purpose.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..

Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer Yusuf View Post
    I also love how nobody mentioned Illuminate, since like Run Away it has no competitive purpose.
    But whether or not the Ability has any competitive purpose isn't the point of the thread, so why does it matter? OP is asking about Abilities that are redundant on the Pokemon that have them, ie. his examples of Limber Stunfisk and Levitate Rotom-F. While I don't have any particular use for Illuminate, it's hardly what I would call redundant.

Likewise, I wouldn't call Abilities that share effects redundant in most cases. Golduck shouldn't be sporting Air Lock, for an obvious example.

Reuniclus' Overcoat would have to be my contribution to the thread, though. Putting aside its HA, why does it have both Overcoat and Magic Guard?

Actually, those two Abilities were redundant on Reuniclus until XY updated Overcoat. Now Overcoat does one thing Magic Guard can't: protecting Reuniclus from moves like Sleep Powder. I agree that Magic Guard may be generally more useful though.

I also agree with the rest of what you said regarding what it means for an Ability to be redundant.

Sprites ripped by Yoshi Clone of spritersresource.com. Banner by my brother ShinySandshrew.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFightingPikachu View Post
    Actually, those two Abilities were redundant on Reuniclus until XY updated Overcoat. Now Overcoat does one thing Magic Guard can't: protecting Reuniclus from moves like Sleep Powder. I agree that Magic Guard may be generally more useful though.

I also agree with the rest of what you said regarding what it means for an Ability to be redundant.
    Shoot, I totally forgot about that. You got me there.

Pure Power and Huge Power are identical unless swapped to another Pokemon via Trace/Role Play/Skill Swap. Pure Power transferred still grants a 2x Attack boost while Huge Power transferred only grants a 1.5x Attack boost. Not sure why, nor do I agree. But there is a difference.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE . I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

ATTN UNITED KINGDOM TRAINERS: I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HAVING MY OWN DARKRAI IF ONE OF YOU COULD PLEASE GET AN EXTRA ONE, I WILL GLADLY TRADE YOU SOMETHING OF MINE. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoshino View Post
    At the top of that Jellicent is even better off without that ability.

All that ability does is prevent an opponent from using selfdestruct or explosion.

Without the ability they will be able to use it, but it will be a totally wasted move since it only destroys the Pokémon using it and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze The Movie Fan View Post
    At the top of that Jellicent is even better off without that ability.

All that ability does is prevent an opponent from using selfdestruct or explosion.

Without the ability they will be able to use it, but it will be a totally wasted move since it only destroys the Pokémon using it and nothing else.
    That and they cause more damage (at base power level) than any other attack in the game...
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE . I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

ATTN UNITED KINGDOM TRAINERS: I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HAVING MY OWN DARKRAI IF ONE OF YOU COULD PLEASE GET AN EXTRA ONE, I WILL GLADLY TRADE YOU SOMETHING OF MINE. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

I was just looking at these two abilities descriptions, and they're kind of redundant:

Poison Point: "The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with Poison when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon."
    Poison Touch: "When the Pokémon attacks its opponents with a move that causes Physical Contact, there is a 20% chance that the target is Poisoned"

Unless I'm missing something, they're pretty much the same ability, just with one having better chances at inflicting the poison condition.

Claimed by me!

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller2001 View Post
    I was just looking at these two abilities descriptions, and they're kind of redundant:

Poison Point: "The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with Poison when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon."
    Poison Touch: "When the Pokémon attacks its opponents with a move that causes Physical Contact, there is a 20% chance that the target is Poisoned"

Unless I'm missing something, they're pretty much the same ability, just with one having better chances at inflicting the poison condition.
    I have no clue. Maybe one is bad poison? I feel like I thought this once. Good catch.

Quote Originally Posted by Painkiller2001 View Post

Actually, they're opposites in a way. Poison Point can poison the opponent if they touch you with their attack, while poison touch works if you touch them with your attack. First one is defensive, second one is offensive.
    CHALLENGE ME BRO
    Steezus(3DS) / Stevie(IGN) | 2208-5944-1741
    Y version Safari: Magmar|Pyroar|Braixen

Spoiler:- TEAM TROPIC THUNDER'S SECRET BASE:

Quote Originally Posted by Everstoned View Post
    Actually, they're opposites in a way. Poison Point can poison the opponent if they touch you with their attack, while poison touch works if you touch them with your attack. First one is defensive, second one is offensive.
    Haha, I didn't read it that way. Makes sense.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast