Thread: If GF made a pantheon of gods into Legendary Pokemon, which mythology should be used?

Default If GF made a pantheon of gods into Legendary Pokemon, which mythology should be used?

Title says all, really.

I'm a mythology nerd, so I think about these sorts of things a lot. Learning about Hoenn's Scorched Slab (based on the cave in which Amaterasu hid herself in Shinto myth), I started thinking: What if GF used a pantheon of gods for their Legendary Pokemon? The sixth gen Legends seem to be based on the Norse creatures involving Yggdrasil, and various Pokemon have been based upon characters from the Chinese Journey to the West (Infernape and Emboar), for example.

Note that I'm not asking anyone to come up with Legendary Pokemon--rather, I'm asking what pantheon people would like to see as Pokemon.

Some examples:

Greco-Roman: Zeus/Jupiter, Hera/Juno, Apollo, Ares/Mars, Athena/Minerva; Cyclops, Hecatoncheires, ...
    Egyptian: Amun-Ra, Osiris, Horus, Isis, Seth, Hathor...
    Shinto: Amaterasu, Raijin, Ryujin, Suijin...
    Aztec: Tezcatlipoca, Quetzalcoatl, Xochiquetzal...
    Vedic/Hindu: Agni, Vayu, Shiva, Kartikeya, Ganesha...
    Celtic: Lugh, Ogma, Brigid...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ultural_sphere

I personally would really enjoy some Shinto Pokemon. Amaterasu and Ryujin would make great Pokemon. Otherwise, Hindu mythology has a lot of potential: Ganesha and Kartikeya would be interesting as Pokemon.

Greek would be awesome.

Currently looking for a 6IV Pichu or Pikachu in a standard Pokeball with the egg move Volt Tackle, PM me and I'll provide what I can

I'm actually still skeptic towards the Kalos trio being based on Norse mythology. It seems to take much more inspiration from the Trimurti concept of Hinduism(might be found in other religions and myths as well) with a creator, a maintainer and a destroyer.

I would love to see more of Greek/Roman influenced legendaries. There are a lot of interesting titans, gods and other creatures that could make really good concepts. The 12 labours of Heracles alone could create a lot of interesting legendaries. Although some of them has already been made into common pokémon and I even suspect that Xerneas has some origin in the golden hind as well.

If I was to pick one that I think has gotten enough saturation I would porbably go with Shinto(not surprising since the games are Japanese after all), since both the Creation duo of gen IV(unsure if Girantina has some origin there as well) and the Kami trio from gen V seems to be influenced by them.
    Last edited by Endless; 21st November 2014 at 6:04 PM.

I'm very keen on the idea of the Olympians and titans becoming source material for pokemon, but I'm not a fan of humanoid pokemon being common and I feel like a vast a majority of what got pulled from the source would be bipedial demigods. Though I would really like a satyr pokemon. In the long run though I think the south American pantheons and Egyptian panteons would be the most interesting pokemon source material. Rainbow snake bird and crocodile dog ftw.

As a side note the Loa would make some very cool ghost type legendaries. mr mime evolves into baron samedi? yes please.
    Last edited by Archangel; 24th November 2014 at 3:10 PM. Reason: Double Post Merged
    3DS Friend Code: 5429-7866-6445 IGN:Adrian

Friend Safari Pokemon = Octillery, Gyrados, and Poliwhirl!!

Quote Originally Posted by Endless View Post
    I'm actually still skeptic towards the Kalos trio being based on Norse mythology. It seems to take much more inspiration from the Trimurti concept of Hinduism(might be found in other religions and myths as well) with a creator, a maintainer and a destroyer.
    This fan video on the Kalos trio has it down pat-- Eikphyrnir, Hraesvelgr, and the Jormungand/Midgardsormr.

As an additional note, despite the reference to the Eikphyrnir-- Xerneas' name reads closer to an analog of Cernunnos, a god-figure form Celtic myth that's often depicted with the horns of a stag and associated with life and nature.
    Last edited by Austratus; 24th November 2014 at 5:31 AM. Reason: OK, i think I have this down.
    Claims | Golurk ・ Knights of the Round (Final Fantasy series, summon)
    3DS Friend Code | 2148 8469 8580
    ΩR | Duelleck (♂OT: 44357) ・ αS | Merlwyn (♀OT: 57802)
    X | Nixon (OT: 43198) / Friend Safari Ghost (Pumpkaboo, Shuppet, Dusclops)
    Wh | Ace (OT: 62283) ・ W2 | Lloyd (OT: 30233)SS | Karagu (OT: 55992)

KEEP CALM and BE A CHAMPION

Quote Originally Posted by Austratus View Post
    This fan video on the Kalos trio has it down pat-- Eikphyrnir, Hraesvelgr, and the Jormungand/Midgardsormr.

As an additional note, despite the reference to the Eikphyrnir-- Xerneas' name reads closer to an analog of Cernunnos, a god-figure form Celtic myth that's often depicted with the horns of a stag and associated with life and nature.
    I'm well aware of the theory, but it just seems a bit ..weak to me. It just seems like the theory came from the fact that three creatures from Norse mythology were a bird, a serpent and a deer. The only trait the Eikphyrnir shares with Xerneas is the glowing horns (which both you and I have shown that are a common thing in many mythologies.) Yveltal doesn't share anything with Hrćsvelgr, except a very lose connection with the name. (Corpse swallower still sounds more like a regular scavanger (like crows) than a life drainer anyway). Jormungandr and Zygarde are probably the ones that share most traits, both being some king of world serpent. Zygarde watches over it, while Jormungandr circles it(no mentions of it ever using its gigantic size to ever watch over anything though) both appear when the world is about to break down, but Zygarde is trying to save it while Jorumgandr is trying to take it/destroy it. (That video also mentions some other Norse creatures that really just seems to be addedd in to make the theory more trustworthy, although they aren't related to the Eikphyrnir, Hrćsvelgr and Jormungandr besides originating in the same mythology. (Not even going to mention the genetics in the video, as the proof there is so extremely weak. Nothing in the game really indicated that XYZ refered to anything else than axises really, but I digress)).

Anyway, I'm not saying that they aren't based on them at all, a lot of pokémon are based on several things. They might have some simple design basis from Norse mythology, but the myths doesn't really match up, the same way Dialga and Palkia look like dinosaurs and/or dragons while their myth is based on Izanagi and Izanami, which are humanoid gods. However I do think the creation, preservation and destruction theme is much more prominent with the trio than what the Norse mythology regarding what those creatures represent.
    Last edited by Endless; 24th November 2014 at 2:59 PM.