Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The National Pokedex

Default The National Pokedex

Well all know it and love it, the Pokedex! Have you managed to complete the national pokedex in any game? Which game? How long did it take you? What pokemon were the hardest to get?

For some reason "t i n y p i c" is censored.

I did for the first time in Y. It took a couple months using the GTS. At the time, the hardest to get were the Hoenn legendaries and a handful of Hoenn and Sinnoh Pokemon since you have to trade them all up in ridiculous ways. Obviously though, with the release of ORAS, the National Pokedex is pretty easy to complete. I don't think I've gone about breeding as much as others, but the Shiny Charm did not seem all that worth it. I've never hatched one shiny. All my shinies are from the GTS and my wife who caught two during gameplay without the Shiny Charm.
    LOOKING FOR A SHINY ONIX/STEELIX and SHINY SCYTHER/SCIZOR and SHINY SLOWPOKE . I HAVE POKEBANK CELEBI FOR TRADE AND SOME OTHER SHINIES. PM IF INTERESTED.

ATTN UNITED KINGDOM TRAINERS: I AM VERY INTERESTED IN HAVING MY OWN DARKRAI IF ONE OF YOU COULD PLEASE GET AN EXTRA ONE, I WILL GLADLY TRADE YOU SOMETHING OF MINE. PLEASE AND THANK YOU.

Never.

I've always wanted to, but I've never been able to do it. Closest I gotten is Y, but even there, still got a while to go.

I'm pretty close in Alpha Sapphire.
    I'm around 50 or so away, and they're pretty much all things I need to breed or evolve for, so I'm hoping to complete it within the next couple of weeks.
    I need that Shiny Charm,
    Mage Gothorita and Hydreibloom say hi!
    Sprites are mine, please don't steal.

3DS FC: 2449-5277-5825

Never, in all the games I've played, have I been able to do this.

Claimed by me!

There is an irony behind the phrase "Gotta catch them all"

Because you can't catch them all XD

I've done it in Platinum and X. I'm also very close in Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by LizardonX View Post
    Tabitha has really let himself go, just how many lava cookies did he eat in the last 11 years?

The closest I've ever gotten was in SoulSilver, I believe, but I've never filled it out. I don't think I ever will fill out the entire PokéDex in any game, to be honest, but it doesn't bother me.
    Winner of Best Fic of 2014 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%

I've only ever done it on my first game, Pokemon Blue. Not sure if this counts as it wasn't really a National Pokedex then, it was just the Pokedex.

I was quite fortunate in that I had a brother who was two years younger than me and owned Pokemon Red, and a kid who lived across the street, who was a year younger than me and had also Pokemon Red. My neighbour and I helped each other by catching all of the "version exclusives" on our respective games and trading them to one another (my Pinsir for his Scyther, my Bellsprout for his Oddish, etc). We would also help each other by trading the Pokemon who evolve by Trade, like Haunter, Kadabra, Machoke and Graveler.

I was never the sort of guy to keep restarting my game. After I began my first game, that was the game I stuck with. My younger brother, however, would fall in and out of interest a lot more and reset his games constantly. Because of this, we had a cunning plan. My starter Pokemon was a Bulbasaur, and he got him to start new games with Charmander and Squirtle, and play them through to the point where you were first allowed to trade, and trade them to me. He also traded a Bulbasaur and Squirtle for himself (he chose Charmander in his proper save). He'd also work through to the points where you had to "choose" Pokemon (Omanyte or Kabuto, Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan, Jolteon, Flareon or Vaporeon) and helped me out a lot by trading them to me. To be fair, this took ages, but while I was waiting I'd be training and evolving all the Pokemon that hadn't been a part of my "main team". Eventually we were done trading and I possessed all of the Pokemon I needed another Gameboy for, and I held on to whichever ones he wanted to keep for his proper save. The next part, which was possibly the most tedious actually, was getting Safari Zone Pokemon. I caught a Kangaskhan simply enough, but Chansey and Tauros were a lot, lot more difficult. Eventually I caught them both.

I still remember to this day, the very last Pokemon I got to officially complete the Pokedex was when I trained my Kabuto and evolved it into Kabutops.

I have completed National pokedex once in X and nearly in AS, missing only cross gen evos, like porygon line and electivire.
    Click my babies to help them to grow

I have claimed Zebstrika! Thunder zebra power!
    I have also claimed Sacred Grove theme, Twilit Midna and The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess!
    In-game name:Annabel
    Friend-code: 4957-3860-9818

I have completed the National Pokedex in X and Y, hardest part would be organising the trades for the trade-evolution Pokemon. Have not completed it for any other game though I am working on completing it on Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire.

Credit to Brutaka for the awesome banner!
    I have claimed Drapion and Karis from Golden Sun: Dark Dawn.

I've gotten close in SoulSilver (around 425 or so I think), but now that we have the promise of the snazzy Shiny Charm, it kinda motivates me to try for filling out the National Dex in ORAS. I only have around 300 so far, so it's gonna be a while. I've always wanted to get a Dex to 100%, but I might actually do it this time. Woo!
    3DSXL FC: 4656-8034-3856
    Ice Safari: Snover, Bergmite, Lapras

Latest Shiny

I have completed the National Dex on my LeafGreen, Emerald, Platinum, HeartGold, White, White 2, Y, and Omega Ruby. Platinum was the first game I ever completed the dex on, which happened in 2012 iirc after I decided that I wanted to complete the dex on my main save files for completion purposes.
    It's not super hard for me to complete the dex since I buy every version and have enough systems for trading/transferring. Trade evos are the "hardest" for me to get, I guess, since I'm lazy and having to drag out another game and system is a lot of work for me. =p

I will probably continue to complete the Pokedex on future games, too. I'd also like to go back and finish it on my Ruby and Pearl someday. Don't think I'll get around to finishing it on any of my Gen 1 or 2 games, though.
    ~ * * ~

I have completed the National Dex at least once in nearly every game I own (which is all games in the main series except OR/AS). The only games I haven't completed it in are HG/SS as well as the extra copies that I have of some games. I miss the Event legends for Gen 1-3 as well as the Kalos Event legends for Gen 6, but apart from that, it is as complete as it can be. Though I don't play Gen 1-2 anymore and I'm quite sure the batteries for at least my Gen 2 games have all died, so I don't know if those count.
    As for how long it took to complete the dex, it varied a lot. Gen 1-2 usually went quite fast since not that many Pokemon existed back then, and everything could be obtained rather easily despite the limitations in training spots and the limited availability of some items that was required to evolve certain Pokemon. Gen 3-4 were probably the ones that took the longest to complete because they had considerably more Pokemon and while they had better training spots than previous generations, it still felt like it went rather slow at times. Gen 5-6 were probably the fastest to me since they have amazing training spots in all games which makes it go fast, I could obtain all Pokemon easily since they were well distributed and I had my previous games to get them from in case they couldn't be obtained in the current games. Then I also had the most fun completing the Pokedex in these generations which made it go even faster.
    The hardest Pokemon to obtain also varied a lot. I was stuck a bit last year while completing my dex in LeafGreen as I missed a Huntail and had no way to get one from my current games without restarting one of them, which I didn't want to do. Other than that, Pokemon with a low appearance rate (1-5%) can really test my patience, Pokemon with a low catch rate like Beldum can be really tough to catch, and others that evolve at really high levels can take a while to get (though I found that to be more of a problem in Gen 1-4 than in Gen 5-6).
    Last edited by Kalosian; 17th February 2015 at 12:01 PM.

I've done it once in every generation since Gen 3 - in Sapphire, Diamond, Black, and X. I was also trying to go for a living Dex in Alpha Sapphire, but that's on hold right now while I try to SR for a shiny Cresselia.

Since I do a lot of Wonder Trading on X, I kind of want to try a side project of completing as much of the Dex as I can in all seven available languages... But who knows if/when that would ever get done.

SoulSilver BadgeQuest Progress:
    244 SRs | 6608 REs | 735 REs | 3093 SRs | 10711 SRs | 2138 REs | Lapras - 700 SRs

Y BadgeQuest Progress:
    3145 SRs | 7741 REs | 2468 REs | Route 8 - 4000 REs

Other hunts: Reshiram - 7727 SRs - Complete! | Noibat (MM) - 450 eggs

I've only managed to do it in Soul Silver, and that was years ago...It took about the whole of that Generation. Getting Pokemon together game by game.

I plan to do it again in X, and I'm well on my way.

I did it once in Diamond and it took me over 100 hours and the most annoying pokemon were Electivire and Magmortar because the wild elekids and magbys were never holding the necessary items

Hibiki wants hugs
        Spoiler:- My claims:

Completed National Dex in White 2 and Y since they give you a shiny charm which is better than just some diploma.
    Currently playing Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire. Annoyed about the lack of Emerald elements in the game.

Currently own: X and Y, Black 2 and White 2, Black and White, Heart Gold and Soul Silver, Platinum, Diamond and Pearl, Super Pokemon Rumble, Ranger 3, Ranger 2, Mystery Dungeon Explorers of Time and Dragon Ball Z: Super Sonic Warriors. Guidebooks for Johto games, Unova games and Kalos games.

Own quite a number shinies, especially in Y thanks to Consecutive Fishing.

Own all 5 gen event legends in White 2, many came from my brother which I like to thank.

I got the National Pokedex in Diamond, Platinum, Heartgold, White, and X. I'm missing one Pokemon in Alpha Sapphire.

I finished it in X, but I'm too lazy to do it in Omega Ruby.
    3DS FC: 5043 1366 9389

After years, I've finally claimed deoxys! Watch your back! hehe...

Never. Came pretty close years and years ago on Silver, think I had around 20 or so to go, but didn't get round to finishing it before the battery died.

Haven't really attempted it since.
    ALPHA SAHPHIRE

I completed it in the original Red (except for Mew) and I also complete on either Black or Black 2 (can't remember which now), but I then stupidly sold the game when I got a bit bored of Pokemon a few years ago

I'm going to work on it in Omega Ruby, the events are going to be quite difficult though (there was a lot of trading when I completed it in the Unova games!)

I finished it in X, the traded literally everything over to AS and finished the dex in literally a week after I beat the game.
    I have quite a few shinies. Here are the ones I remember.
    (MM)(X2)
    (Chain)
    (RE)
    (Hoarde)

I think I managed to complete it once in Emerald.

Did it in Diamond Version a while back complete with events just to see if I could with little trouble but really I've never really cared seeing as how I end up collecting nearly every pokemon in some form anyway. Gathering them all in one place and making sure they evolved in one game just seems like busywork to me. I may go back to completing regional dexes since Black and White 2 since the Oval Charm actually sounds like a useful reward.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast