Thread: Are you (still) fascinated by Pokemon evolutions?

Default Are you (still) fascinated by Pokemon evolutions?

I first came to know about Pokemon via the anime. At that time, watching Caterpie evolve into Metapod and subsequently into Butterfree was one of the most memorable moments for me as a child, so I was especially impressed when the same thing could happen in-game when I first played Pokemon Yellow (wowz). And since I had no access to the internet, I never knew what I could get by leveling up a Pokemon.

Of course, two decades down the road, and we're now at the point where I can find out the entire roster of new Pokemon even if I've never played the games. I also start to over-analyze and scrutinize the designs and changes when a Pokemon 'evolve'. Some evolutions are like natural growth spurts (like Growlithe to Arcanine), some follow the stages of metamorphosis (Tyranitar), some adopt fusion-like themes (like Beldum to Metagross). And then there are those that simply slap two different species together to form some sort of evolutionary line, like how a rattlesnake evolves into a cobra or a seagull evolves into a pelican. Lastly, we have Pokemon that are perfectly fine (even competitively) without any evolution or pre-evolution), such as Lapras and Skarmory.

It seems like as long as the final product has decent/overpowered stats and deadly abilities, it doesn't really matter how the Pokemon 'grow', if at all. Even for the traditional evolutionary lines, you spend so little time with the pre-evolutions that they're mostly there just for the sake of it. Mix in the cross-gen evolutions, formes, super saiyan mega evolutions, splicing, Zygarde cell, Ash-Greninja, and it feels as if it's all about creating the next hype rather than a plausible, albeit fictional, ecosystem.

So, are you still fascinated by Pokemon evolutions, or are they merely a distraction?
    Last edited by Hidden Power; 2nd February 2016 at 6:18 PM.
    The best evolutionary designs are brought about by a balance between change and consistency.
    Artwork by Piper Thibodeau. You can view more of her work here.

I don't know if "fascinated" is the word I'd use, but I'm always much more interested in the final evolutions than the ones prior.

At the start of every gen, they show off the new starters and I immediately want to know what the final forms look like. I find it silly that a fair amount of people prefer the younger forms and sometimes even don't evolve them because they think they're cuter or something... I'm always like, why? The evolved forms have naturally stronger stats, so they won't be as effective in battle if you don't let them do what they naturally should be doing.

Plus, the thought of a Blaziken and Lucario having a fast-paced fighting match-up looks and sounds a hell of a lot more entertaining than a Torchic and Riolu having some little scrap in the playground.

So yeah, evolutions rock.

~*Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest... it's about who came, and never left your side*~

My Anime List - updated every now and then

Drop me a message if you wanna talk. I reply most of the time.

Like Zero, I tend to look toward what the final evolution is. The pre-evolutions may be kind of cute, but they're definitely not necessary and don't really add too many new dynamics to the game. In fact, in some cases, they can be kind of a hassle since it's yet another hurdle that needs to be crossed when it comes to training the Pokémon. Building up friendship and stuff like that is honestly just pesky. The only way having unevolved Pokémon could work for battling is to make them faster and/or harder to land hits on than their fully evolved forms. Until they do that, you'd be silly to train that Charmander all the way to 100 without letting it go to Charizard.

Meanwhile, I find Mega Evolutions to be kind of a turnoff, largely in part that they're just temporary. That, and some Pokémon got Mega Evolutions when they really didn't need them and were fine already while others that badly need them to be competitive still have yet to get one. It would have been great if it was used as a system to help under-used Pokémon get more action and even the playing field, but instead, it just feels too much like an afterthought that got shoehorned into the battling system.

Since I am a non-competitive player, and my main focus of a Pokemon game is the initial play-through, evolutions do very much hold a important part of my game. They help to personify the progress you have made through the game, as well as being a reward for hard work when the evolution does occur.

Join Ash and Pikachu as they travel to the Tenno Region, a region known for its advanced space program. Along their way towards the Tenno League and becoming a Pokémon Master they'll encounter new Pokémon, new enemies, such as the evil Team Planetary, and, of course, a certain trio of Team Rocket members, along with friends new and old.
    Check it out!

Also, for news, reviews, info on my custom games Luna, Terra, and Sol Versions, the basis of Cosmic Quest, a Special Episode, and features like a Tenno Region Pokédex listing all of my custom Pokémon, complete with pictures, visit the Pokémon Cosmic Quest Official Website.

I've always liked fully evolved Pokemon better than unevolved ones in general.It isn't like I only care for cute critters,not to mention some fully evolved Pokemon are cute and sometimes,unevolved ones are not.It is middle stage evolutions that I often dislike,such as Nidorina,Shelgon,Vibrava,Croconaw,Grotle and Luxio.

I definitely favor FE 'mon more than NFE' mon, when it comes to just Pokemon with evo lines.

The only two exceptions being Buizel and Nidorina (^)coincidentally enough.

My top favorites

Claimed by me!

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail" - Sgt. Greg Parker, SRU

Well, I try and pick my Pokémom one which ones I like, but if I cannot decided. I think I look at both their final evolutions and then go from there, since they are the end result. Example Magby and Vulpix. I like them both, but I much prefer Ninetales over Magmortar. Or Another good example is Snivy and Chikorita. I like them both, but I prefer Meganium to Serperior. So, I guess you would say that I prefer using fully evolved Pokémon, but generally because they have more capabilities.
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

Evolutions are cool. Without them, the game gets hard.

Mmm, I think my love for Pokémon comes for my "fascination" of collecting things, well not necessarily things, but I love all those games, or even action figures series or anything that has a huge variety of characters to see, and collect, and organize, and, you get the idea. I don't play competitive games, I play the Pokémon videogames to collect them all (or cacth'em all!) and in most cases that implies evolving (even though with the latest games we can get any Pokémon via trading). I buy the Pokédex books to have all the Pokémon images in one compilation, I love the posters that come with them, etc.

So, since I don't play competitively, I do care about each of the stages of an evolutionary family. But I've never been particularly fascinated by the evolution itself, it's just something that was introduced since the beginning, actually I was more fascinated by the Pokémon that used to be unique, like those that are together in the Pokédex: Mr. Mime, Scyther, Jynx, Electabuzz, Magmar, Pinsir, Tauros plus the other ones like Lapras and Snorlax, etc. They were so rare for not having an evolution, that when most of them, except for Pinsir and Tauros, Lapras, got evolutions or pre-evolutions in later generations, they kinda lost what made them especial.

However, since they introduced cross-generation relatives, now I wanted more Pokémon to get an evo or pre-evo, like Farfetch'd, or you know, I'm still mad that Jynx didn't get an evo in Gen IV, along with Electivire and Magmortar. I was expecting the Gen V to introduce new relatives, not only for old Pokémon, but for Gen IV too. Kalos only had Sylveon, and the Mega Evolutions. Talking about that, I still don't like the idea of mega evolving, I mean, at this point I've accepted it, and I'm already used to it, but I'll always think it was fine for "fully evolved" Pokémon, like Charizard, Blastoise and so on, but I'll always be mad, because others like Mega Absol, or Mega Mawile could've been completely new Pokémon, with their own name and number, instead of just temporary forms during battle. And now they've condemned those Pokémon to never have a proper evolution in the future.

My dream generation would be one that introduced the same amount of Pokémon as Unova, but with a huge percentage of cross generation relatives, like Sinnoh did (in terms of proportion).
    Last edited by Pocoman; 23rd February 2016 at 11:16 AM.

Come to think of it I pretty much always use evolutions as they become available during the game. Just always seemed like a natural progression.

That said I do have a problem with some of the cross-generation evolutions, particularly some of the ones for 1st Gen Pokemon introduced in the 4th Gen. Not necessarily due to bad design, more just after having been so used to the Gen 1 evolution being the final form of a Pokemon for so long that it felt weird having it evolve again. Glad they've come up with Mega Evolutions, much nice way of handling it in my opinion. Also having the Evolite now makes some of these 1st Gen evos viable again competitively as well. Remember having a decent amount of success with an Evolite Magneton in the Pikachu Cup. Nice not being forced into using Magnezone.
    ALPHA SAPHIRE

I find special evolutions and divergent evolutions (Gloom, Poliwhirl, etc.) interesting.

Reminds me of this one time I was fishing, and I was thinking about how interesting it was that Graveler trade evolves to Golem. I caught a decent sized fish just by thinking about that for a while.

Image from Pokemon's Sun and Moon page. Meme by me.

Only by friendship evolution, considering how much time and effort they take. All the proteins, irons, massages, footsteps, etc. they take, it's amazing and a relief when they evolve.
    New shinies week of 4/28-5/5:
    New shinies week of 5/5-5/12:
    New shinies week of 5/12-5/19: (lost)

Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing AlphaSapphire

I'm finally wireless! Friend codes: 4571-0519-1537, 4571-0519-6173
    I still need some codes! Please add me and PM me, I'd appreciate it.

I kinda like Final Evolutions better than the pre-evolutions, but some ways of evolving are just annoying, like if you dont have a friend to trade with, then GL beating everything with a Haunter or Gurdurr.

And Mega-Evolutions are kinda stupid, the only one's that looks cool are Altaria, Ampharos and Lopunny... The other's are ugly

I wouldn't say so. Largely because most of the new designs do not diverge distinctly from their pre-evolutions. Most notable example I can see is Bergmite-Avalugg from the recent memory.

As for whether or not lower stages have become redundant, I would be on the page that they have. In the past, many pre-evolutions have at least attempted to be useful without their evolutions, but that idea has been long dead since Gen IV, with exceptions like Gurdurr here and there. Eviolite has not been a successful saving move, besides for some former fully-evolved species. In fact, in the recent memory, you can catch a lot of fully evolved Pokémon in the early game, such as Dunsparce in B2W2, or Furfrou/Absol in XY, which basically makes the whole idea of pre-evolutions even more redundant, even introducing baby forms of these species to fix this issue seems redundant. When you also add in the factor that some evolutions have little divergent moves, you may start to think that primary crux of the in-game metagame, evolutionary stages, have actually become least necessary element of games.

I don't really have a magic formula to fix everything, but there are some ways of fully retconning evolutionary stages in terms of evolutionary methods, and retconning their BSTs. Introducing more divergent species(that is, stages that are distinct from each other) can also help, to keep the element of surprise.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360
    Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    I also read from the bulbagarden thread about the movie that Zorua impersonates Dawn and tries to show Dawn's butt to Ash. Fanservice, foreshadowing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Locormus View Post
    This show is called Pokemon, not Pochaman.. although that sounds almost the same..

Youtube, DeviantArt, Bulbagarden, Imageshack, Photobucket, Smogon, Blog, Pokémon Series Analysis Dropbox Folder, Tumblr. PO/PS Username: Yusuf Kaya 3.0

It was better back when the internet couldnt instantly tell you everything you would ever need to know.

Mega Evolutions are always epic to see.

Plus I am excited about the evolutions when a new generation come out.

Former Lieutenant of Squad 7.
    Thank you for the memories, Bleach Club

Claimed Blaziken - Pokemon Diamond - Ike

Sure I am. The whole point of evolution is for the story anyways. It shows how the pokemon you raise gradually progress from a small weak creature to a powerhouse. Throughout the story, I enjoy experiencing my adventure with and raising this team of little creatures until they become a group of power-houses. If I start out with powerhouses, I would not be this attached and the experience would arguably be much less interesting. When it comes to competitive, sure, the only thing that matters is the final form, but when playing through the story for the sake of an experience or adventure, the evolution process really enhances that experience for me. I like looking at how a pokemon progresses and all the inspirations that go into it.
    Draconic Pokemon are King: My Deviant: http://xxd17.deviantart.com

Omega Ruby Team:

Not anymore, though I do think that Mega Evos are more amazing than real evolved forms now.