Page 100 of 254 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 6350

Thread: PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

That's kind of what I was trying to put across in option 2, but yeah. It seems kinda iffy to make your main female character a 'romantic' if you don't want romance in the show. *shrug*

How exactly are 10 year olds going to express romantic feelings? Not sure if things like roses, poems, and candlelight evenings happened in the OS.
    I think its more like they tried to make Misty caring about Ash. We know she got jealous and stuff, but that's not on the romantic side unless i'm forgetting. Maybe that scene when they wear kimonos, i think they had some time to spend together.

She often professed an interest in 'romantic' things, and simply because they were (her words) 'romantic'. This mostly occured in her reactions toward other people i.e.: she shipped character-of-the-day couples like nobody's business. And it's not really that unusual for ten-year-old girls to act that way, to be honest. A someday-my-prince-will-come attitude shows up a lot (Thank you oh so much, Disney).

So yes, you can be a romantic without actually being in love with someone or going on dates, or roses, or poems or whatever. It's an attitude about love that Misty had, and which isn't that unusual for her age-group, but provides an interesting contrast with her more tomboyish tendencies.

How exactly are 10 year olds going to express romantic feelings? Not sure if things like roses, poems, and candlelight evenings happened in the OS.
    I think its more like they tried to make Misty caring about Ash. We know she got jealous and stuff, but that's not on the romantic side unless i'm forgetting. Maybe that scene when they wear kimonos, i think they had some time to spend together.
    One example that I can think of off-hand is in the one where Ash gets the Cascade Badge. In the beginning, they're on the way to Cerulean and of course Misty doesn't want to go. So she suggests they go to Vermilion City, for reasons most notably including "there's a little park way up on a hill where you can sit and watch the sunset that's so romantic". There's also "The School of Hard Knocks" where she says she likes French things because they're "romantic". And yeah, there's also Ghost of Maiden's Peak, dancing is romantic enough for me. I'm sure there are others.

What do you think Misty's 'romantic' character trait says about Pokeshipping?

Well, if they didn't want anything to do with romance, then they should avoid making the person with whom they were trying to avoid romance, romantic. It's like making a show with a moral of how violence is bad and having the hero (who you're supposed to like) of the show be a professional cage fighter (you get the point). And if they wanted to attract a female audience, then they should just put romance in the show. Getting young women/girls to like a show without a romantic sub-plot is like me trying to get my point across without using any similes or metaphors.

So I think it bodes well for pokeshipping.

1. Misty and Ash were always intended to be shipped together.

or

2. The 'romantic' character trait is meant to highlight her femininity despite her other tomboy traits.
    I think that if they didn't want romance, they wouldn't have mentioned it, so you wouldn't think about it and let your mind wander to erroneous conclusions. So I don't think 2 makes too much sense. Like I said, putting in some kind of romantic plotline would be a much better way of doing that.

Spiraling to the ground below, like autumn leaves left in the wake to fade
    -The Drapery Falls by Opeth

GAH! busy busy busy! Haven't been able to post here for a long time, school is swallowing my life, but I'm still alive (somehow).

"サトヒカ (SatoHika) 約 8,500 件 4 yrs
    サトカス (SatoKasu) 約 7,830 件 13 yrs
    サトハル (SatoHaru) 約 3,640 件 8 yrs "

I feel like writing a long conclusion taken from these results:
    It appears pokeshipping is, although it may not show directly, still the most popular and widely accepted ship. The way I see it, a ship is most popular while it is the "active" ship. Until shortly, that ship was Pearlshipping, hence the great score on the poll. In a few months, that will be the new pairing (AshxIris). The 7,830 people who think pokeshipping should be canon are probably devoted Pokeshippers, and the 3,640 people who pressed the option "SatoHaru" are probably devoted Advancedshippers. Of the 8,500 people who pressed the option "SatoHika", about 3000-4000 are probably devoted Pearlshippers. The rest will either move on to the next ship, or return to Pokeshipping (like we have already seen in this thread). So Pokeshipping is still the ship most people agree with, no offense (ex-)Pearl/Advancedshippers.

Whether as a friend or a boyfriend, what kind of gift do you see Ash getting Misty?

Sorry for bringing back an old topic, but this question is easier to answer:
    I'd see him get her something that's nice and useful, like a coat decorated with tentacool/cruel. And this question made me think of another topic:

How do you think Misty would react to the present you made Ash give her?

I think she'd be happy and moved that Ash even minded to give her something completely fitting her personality.

I'm going to stop typing now as it's 22:50 and I have to get up at 6:30 tomorrow for a maths test. THE HORROR!

GAH! busy busy busy! Haven't been able to post here for a long time, school is swallowing my life, but I'm still alive (somehow).

It appears pokeshipping is, although it may not show directly, still the most popular and widely accepted ship. The way I see it, a ship is most popular while it is the "active" ship. Until shortly, that ship was Pearlshipping, hence the great score on the poll. In a few months, that will be the new pairing (AshxIris). The 7,830 people who think pokeshipping should be canon are probably devoted Pokeshippers, and the 3,640 people who pressed the option "SatoHaru" are probably devoted Advancedshippers. Of the 8,500 people who pressed the option "SatoHika", about 3000-4000 are probably devoted Pearlshippers. The rest will either move on to the next ship, or return to Pokeshipping (like we have already seen in this thread). So Pokeshipping is still the ship most people agree with, no offense (ex-)Pearl/Advancedshippers.
    I agree. Ships tend to enjoy the most popularity when the characters involved are on the show. It's only natural that there'll be some drop off when one of them leaves. Casual shippers are especially likely to lose interest. There's nothing wrong with that, and there's nothing offensive about pointing it out. It's just the truth.
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (Chapter 2 Now Up!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

Quote Originally Posted by Teshub View Post
    1. See, that's more of a sterotype of what it means to be romantic. Sterotypes while true to an extent aren't the best of guidelines. Some would say that true romance is performing acts of love that come from the heart. More of this in my second point. Heck, to a degree, the more sterotypical gestures come off as lacking in sincerity.

2. Ash strikes me as the kind of person who even after maturing will always be a ten year old boy at heart. And thus he will never be the sterotypical, sauve boyfriend that some fics depict him as. Going with my first comment, Ash will demonstrate romance in a more heartfelt way (such as keeping Misty's likes and dislikes in mind):

A. Giving her his Indigo League cap. Now to be honest, I'm not so sure that she's as over enthusiastic about it as much as she was when trying to win it, but why would it be a great gift?

Because, she knows now how much trouble he went through to get it, and saw how much trouble he went through to get it back from Primeape. So the fact that he's giving her something that he's attached to implies that he regards her as being more important.

B. Giving her a Water Type Pokemon (preferably a Tentacool) would make for a suitable gift as they are Misty's favorite type.

C. Taking her to a restaraunt with a great view of the sea. That is debatably in the category of typical romance gestures, but it still works as something Ash would do.

And it works because it's Misty loves the water in general.

Just doing something nice and because he cares is how he'll be romantic.

Besides, if she truly wanted the typical romance, she'd be with Rudy.
    Last edited by Antiyonder; 22nd November 2010 at 9:40 AM.

It appears pokeshipping is, although it may not show directly, still the most popular and widely accepted ship. The way I see it, a ship is most popular while it is the "active" ship. Until shortly, that ship was Pearlshipping, hence the great score on the poll. In a few months, that will be the new pairing (AshxIris). The 7,830 people who think pokeshipping should be canon are probably devoted Pokeshippers, and the 3,640 people who pressed the option "SatoHaru" are probably devoted Advancedshippers. Of the 8,500 people who pressed the option "SatoHika", about 3000-4000 are probably devoted Pearlshippers. The rest will either move on to the next ship, or return to Pokeshipping (like we have already seen in this thread). So Pokeshipping is still the ship most people agree with, no offense (ex-)Pearl/Advancedshippers
    Your points are good, but those numbers were the number of websites that come up on google japan when you type in satohika, satokasu and satoharu. I still very much agree with your points . The appeal of novelty is quite strong indeed. It's also more convenient to ship something that still could have potential hints/moments rolling in. We can only ogle at our old hints so much, right?

Quote Originally Posted by issue-11 View Post

Those are not results from a poll, they are the number of webpages found that contain the term of those perspective shipping names in japanese. So obviously pokeshipping/satokasu will have quite a lot of pages because it is the oldest..13 years in existence. We can imagine there being a lot of pages out there from 1997-2002. But still, you have to look at the average by dividing the number of results by the number of years.

(SatoHika) 8,500 results / 4 yrs = 2,125 pages per year
    (SatoKasu) 7,830 results/ 13 yrs = 602 '' ''
    (SatoHaru) 3,640 results/ 8 yrs = 455 '' ''

while it shows Pearl has been incredibly popular in Japan by getting so many pages in a short time. pokeshipping is not forgotten after all these years. and if people change their shippings chances are the pages will still exist of when they still supported other shippings.

Those are not results from a poll, they are the number of webpages found that contain the term of those perspective shipping names in japanese. So obviously pokeshipping/satokasu will have quite a lot of pages because it is the oldest..13 years in existence. We can imagine there being a lot of pages out there from 1997-2002. But still, you have to look at the average by dividing the number of results by the number of years.

(SatoHika) 8,500 results / 4 yrs = 2,125 pages per year
    (SatoKasu) 7,830 results/ 13 yrs = 602 '' ''
    (SatoHaru) 3,640 results/ 8 yrs = 455 '' ''

while it shows Pearl has been incredibly popular in Japan by getting so many pages in a short time. pokeshipping is not forgotten after all these years. and if people change their shippings chances are the pages will still exist of when they still supported other shippings.
    It is an impressive show, isn't it, but those data aren't normalized well enough. There are too many other factors to consider than just the age of the shipping. Not all sites survive the test of time, remember. So there could have been many more results for "satokasu" in the past. There's also the fact that a lot of those are probably blog post entries, and blogs typically have a lot of pages, which would all show up in the search results. The only (relatively) recent advent of blogs, and the fact that any blog entry that's as old as 2002 (when misty left) would have been archived a while ago, and wouldn't show up in the search results, also factor into it. There's also the general increase in the popularity of the internet over time to consider. Back when we all had 56k dial-up modems, people didn't really make as many websites; it wasn't nearly as easy as it is now. Now that there's easy-to-use software like dreamweaver to make websites with, practically anyone who knows how to use a keyboard can make a website. You used to have to know how to code at least basic stuff in html to do that.

That being said, it still shows, to some degree, that pearl is probably the most popular now, but I don't think that it really shows that it's wildly popular compared to pokeshipping (or advanceshipping, though it doesn't look too good for them) in their prime.

Statistics: the science of making things look the way you want them to. It's a beautiful thing, right?

In hopes of making some more well, shippy discussion, I'm going to do a companion question to my previous one:

We've discussed gift ideas of what Ash might get for Misty, but what some other things that he would do for Misty as a boyfriend. Something that she would like, but wouldn't necessarily fall in the area of traditional romance.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I tend to go with a previous idea of taking her to a restaraunt with a great ocean view. Ok, it's traditional, but it fits in with a personal interest of Misty's.

Another one in that line of thought is taking her to a restaraunt with an aquatic theme.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    It is an impressive show, isn't it, but those data aren't normalized well enough.
    It balances out once you consider the fact that other shippings didn't even exist back then.

There's also the general increase in the popularity of the internet over time to consider. Back when we all had 56k dial-up modems, people didn't really make as many websites; it wasn't nearly as easy as it is now.
    That could be true for America but in Japan they adopted broadband and web over mobile devices years ahead of us. Even their geocities sites are still open, while ours have all been shut down.

Statistics: the science of making things look the way you want them to. It's a beautiful thing, right?
    You can say that time causes websites to close and such but that does not explain the difference between satuharu and satokasu searches, even though Adv is more recent. I dont want to talk about other ships here, but I wanted to show that yes, poke shipping has had a lot of longetivity and carried on. but at the same time its not as popular as it once was, especially compared to the more recent ones. as for which shippers are more loyal...that cant be found out. but my opinion is that pokeshippers are more loyal. just look at many members here, they have really expressed how important it is to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    We've discussed gift ideas of what Ash might get for Misty, but what some other things that he would do for Misty as a boyfriend. Something that she would like, but wouldn't necessarily fall in the area of traditional romance.
    he can do something like call Misty with a nickname. like "missy". or give her nuggies in a fun and playful way. based on Misty's tomboyishness, she would take that as an endearing treatment.
    Last edited by Teshub; 22nd November 2010 at 8:51 PM.

It balances out once you consider the fact that other shippings didn't even exist back then.
    That's not quite what I was saying. Yes, your averages are correct, but the behavior of the internet skews the averages, not by a ridiculous amount, I would guess. Saying that there were some number of occurrences of the word "satohika" on the internet from 2006(?) to 2010 and saying that there were the same number of occurrences of the word "satokasu" on the internet from 1997 to 2001 don't imply that they had the same popularity. There's sort of an underlying geometry of the internet to take into account (if that makes any sense).

Still, you are right, pearlshipping is more popular. It's new, it's hip, it's all the rage and whatnot. It's got hints and Dawn's still on the show (well, it hasn't been long since she left anyway). Your point is still good. If pokeshipping were still just as popular, one would expect there to have been more websites created in recent times, thus raising the average over the years. My point was that one can't say that pearlshipping is the strongest ship based off of that, which you weren't trying to say (at least I don't think you were). I was just diverting people from making bad inferences.

Pet names are good, the fan favorite seems to be "Mist" but I like the "Missy" suggestion too. It's got that diminutive quality to it that pet names usually have. Other than that, I feel like it's not out of Ash's ability to set up a candle-lit dinner; he could have Brock cook and set it up by the seaside or something.

Date!uhm..something..that they can spend quality time for each other..going out ,soemthing that they can make their time memorable..or training each other..yeah..I like Ash calling her ''Mist''.I think I'll add later..

It's nice to see Pokeshipping still keep on being strong..after all this time..a shipping will never die as long as there are supporters there to maintain the love of a certain ship.
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

|| Multishipper || Bias:鹿晗 || hwaiting! || Inactive||

So if Misty was brought back, what would you do for the character to keep her more active and thus keeping her interesting for those not so much into shipping.

I'd say have Ash and Misty team up in battles more often and have them as a battle couple. ^^ I remembered that there were a lot of times during Johto League Champions that Ash and Misty would team up and combine their attacks to blast Team Rocket off. ^_^ Plus, there were other things that Misty did to help Ash, such as solving Blaines riddles and help give Ash the right push when he needed it. ^^

Whether as a friend or a boyfriend, what kind of gift do you see Ash getting Misty?

His Pokemon League hat! Besides, she wanted one herself, but why not have Ash give his original hat to her? ^^

How do you think Misty would react to the present you made Ash give her?

I think Misty would definitely have a lot of fun with Ashs old hat. Especially when it comes to using some of his poses. ~_^

I think Ash should take care of Misty the best way that he can. I remembered that there was a time in Pokemon 4 Ever that Misty sprained her ankle and Ash was the first person to step up and defend her. I think by taking care of Misty (as well as actually trying to make her dinner sometimes, without fail.) that Ash would prove himself to be a worthy future husband for Misty. ^_^

Paired with the Artistic Melody now over three years! (Glomps Melody)

I am the optimistic Pokeshipping warrior of San Jose, California! I am Moogleborg! SHINRYUKEN!!

Oh, I like this question <3 Um, to be honest not really sure, I kinda want Ash to try and be romantic but fail miserably at it (seeing as he'll find a way to make something romantic, well, not romantic xD) and Misty will get mad but then see how hard he tried and be happy with whatever it is. Sorry I can't think of anything really good :P

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Add me on youtube:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/AMVGeek15

I remembered that there was a time in Pokemon 4 Ever that Misty sprained her ankle and Ash was the first person to step up and defend her. I think by taking care of Misty (as well as actually trying to make her dinner sometimes, without fail.) that Ash would prove himself to be a worthy future husband for Misty. ^_^
    yeah..and it's good to know Ash did it for Misty and proving himself to MIsty in the way he like to be with MIsty..,I hope that happens again and we can see other future hints on Ash's sides too..

Quote Originally Posted by blondekid15 View Post
    he'll find a way to make something romantic, well, not romantic xD
    Heh, funny scenario:

Misty, half-dreaming: "This place is so romantic, I think there's somethi-
    Ash, almost yelling: "I bet there are a lot of strong pokemon here!"

I think there's a lot of fics with parts like that.

On a side note, how strong is you guys' connection with pokeshipping? I try not to let pokeshipping affect school, but I noticed that, whenever I think of pokeshipping, whether it's a fanfic I read, a drawing I saw/made, or a pokeshipping fantasy I thought up, I have to smile. I just can't think of pokeshipping and not smile

Incidentally, those times that Ash called Misty, Mist, did Satoshi ever use a shortened pet name for Kasumi?

Quote Originally Posted by blondekid15 View Post
    Oh, I like this question <3 Um, to be honest not really sure, I kinda want Ash to try and be romantic but fail miserably at it (seeing as he'll find a way to make something romantic, well, not romantic xD) and Misty will get mad but then see how hard he tried and be happy with whatever it is. Sorry I can't think of anything really good :P
    I kind of agree with that, only I don't think Misty would get mad as she would appreciate the effort Ash went through. Rather, I think he would expect Misty to get mad for his failed attempt at being romantic, only to be shocked with a kiss.

I just have to ask, does anyone ever see Ash and Misty getting ready for a kiss, only for Psyduck to decide to exit his Pokeball and receive those kisses instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Antiyonder View Post
    Incidentally, those times that Ash called Misty, Mist, did Satoshi ever use a shortened pet name for Kasumi?

I just have to ask, does anyone ever see Ash and Misty getting ready for a kiss, only for Psyduck to decide to exit his Pokeball and receive those kisses instead.
    Good question, I've thought of that but I've only seen a few episodes in Japanese, although I like to research and see if the hints I like are from the original version so I'm not saying stuff like "Misty obviously likes Ash cause of ...." and then find out that was just in the dubbed version. But anyways, I want to look into that, maybe he calls her Kasu? I have no idea, but one thing I love in the Japanese versions is because Misty and Ash's names are shorter than their Japanese ones, so in the dub they say stuff like "It's Ash!" and "It's Misty!" or "Hey Misty" and "You're alive" When they just say each others names, it makes it that much sweeter ^^

And as for the psyduck thing...LOL i honestly want that to happen now, I mean, as long as they actually kiss later but that would be a classic psyduck scene, you cant deny that would be really, well, practical isnt the word i'm looking for but, its just something that would happen xD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Add me on youtube:

Speaking of the Japanese version, it had less "kid friendly" dialogue compared to the dub. If you check dagasu backpack's episode comparison you can see some perverted elements, like in the 'beauty and the beach' episode, an pervy old man was trying to hit on Misty.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post

Pet names are good, the fan favorite seems to be "Mist" but I like the "Missy" suggestion too. It's got that diminutive quality to it that pet names usually have. Other than that, I feel like it's not out of Ash's ability to set up a candle-lit dinner; he could have Brock cook and set it up by the seaside or something.
    "Missy" sounds like the kind of nickname that Ash would use to get on Misty's nerves, which is entertaining for PokéShipping. I vaugely remember James calling her "Missy" in some episodes and she got annoyed by it.

I think the idea of Ash having Brock set up their date is pretty funny. Imagine if Misty found that Ash couldn't coordinate something like that on his own, but then again, she should probably know better. Heck, I think the idea of Ash going to Brock for ANY dating help is funny.
    "It's all right, it's all right, it's all right. Yeah, sometimes you gotta lose 'til you win.
    It's all right, it's all right, it's all right. It'll be all right again."

"Missy" sounds like the kind of nickname that Ash would use to get on Misty's nerves, which is entertaining for PokéShipping. I vaugely remember James calling her "Missy" in some episodes and she got annoyed by it.
    I remember that! The "Missy" thing totally reminds me of Gourry and Lina from Slayers (a pairing that already reminds me a lot of Pokeshipping in a first place) where he'd call her "Missy" or "Little Lady" and she'd be all like "I'M NOT A LITTLE KID!" I'm very much in favor of annoying terms of endearment :P

I also really like the idea of Ash using Brock as a romantic resource. I think it could be hilarious (in a wacky hijinks ensue kind of way) if he took it the the nth degree, having Brock tell him what to say too. Of course, Misty'd probably see through it in about five seconds and be highly amused.

Misty, half-dreaming: "This place is so romantic, I think there's somethi-
    Ash, almost yelling: "I bet there are a lot of strong pokemon here!"
    Ash is still clueless when it comes to love..that makes me remember the Orange Islands episode with Rudy and telling Ash.."You're a very lucky guy Ash". I wonder what Ash really feels that way.

Sorry to bring back an old topic but...

What anime couples are more close to Pokeshipping?

Ed and Winry from Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood). I was reading an article about their relationship and was surprised how similar it was to Pokeshipping. It basically said how their stubborn attitudes contribute to how often they argue, but they're close friends nonetheless. Winry realizes that she loves Ed early in the series, while Ed feels the same way but constantly denies it. Sound familiar?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Add me on youtube:

Page 100 of 254 FirstFirst ... 509096979899100101102103104110150200 ... LastLast