Page 188 of 255 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast
Results 4,676 to 4,700 of 6353

Thread: PokeShipping (Ash x Misty) Discussion Thread

  1. #4676
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    Lol, that's how my little sister is. She started watching the anime around DP so she didn't know who Misty was. I really think that the writers are just lazy in a sense and don't want to bring back Misty because of all the hard work involved. I mean aside from them having to explain who she is to the younger audience, they'd have to re-hire her voice actress. It's probably more trouble than it's worth for them, but I hope they eventually give in. I'm surprised that they haven't done so already; I would've thought that the uproar over Misty leaving the cast to begin with would've made them realize how important she is, but they only brought her back for a few episodes in AG. I need more PokeShipping hints like I need air.

    It's because the pairing naturally had two outcomes that was tied to the fate of the show.

    Pokeshipping was basically canon and anyone who disagrees with that assessment must have been completely blind because practically everyone who watched the show knew something was between Ash and Misty, and it was only a matter of time before they confessed/kissed/etc. Kanto/Orange Islands pretty much gave all the hints needed. And by the end of Johto, their relationship had gone on for so long that it was the only thing left to happen.

    Problem was that is end-game stuff, and left only two options: complete Ash's story and have him and Misty live happily ever after, or write off Misty and continue Ash's story endlessly. They chose the latter, and ignominiously ended it with "Now I know how you really feel about me, Ash" that basically spelled out their mutual feelings for each other but left it without any resolution.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  2. #4677
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    It's because the pairing naturally had two outcomes that was tied to the fate of the show.

    Pokeshipping was basically canon and anyone who disagrees with that assessment must have been completely blind because practically everyone who watched the show knew something was between Ash and Misty, and it was only a matter of time before they confessed/kissed/etc. Kanto/Orange Islands pretty much gave all the hints needed. And by the end of Johto, their relationship had gone on for so long that it was the only thing left to happen.

    Problem was that is end-game stuff, and left only two options: complete Ash's story and have him and Misty live happily ever after, or write off Misty and continue Ash's story endlessly. They chose the latter, and ignominiously ended it with "Now I know how you really feel about me, Ash" that basically spelled out their mutual feelings for each other but left it without any resolution.
    Well, Johto wasn't (IMO) considered to be much of pokeshipping, yes there was hints but it went on a low profile and plus they practically left Misty out too..like in the last two movies she barley had any roles in it. I think they had no explanation of writing her off and even if they do have Ash and Misty ending up together..it doesn't mean that they were going to end the show..
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  3. #4678
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    It's because the pairing naturally had two outcomes that was tied to the fate of the show.

    Pokeshipping was basically canon and anyone who disagrees with that assessment must have been completely blind because practically everyone who watched the show knew something was between Ash and Misty, and it was only a matter of time before they confessed/kissed/etc. Kanto/Orange Islands pretty much gave all the hints needed. And by the end of Johto, their relationship had gone on for so long that it was the only thing left to happen.

    Problem was that is end-game stuff, and left only two options: complete Ash's story and have him and Misty live happily ever after, or write off Misty and continue Ash's story endlessly. They chose the latter, and ignominiously ended it with "Now I know how you really feel about me, Ash" that basically spelled out their mutual feelings for each other but left it without any resolution.
    While I agree for the most part, I still think the writers could've taken another road and kept Misty in the cast and continued Ash's journey at the same time. I mean they didn't have to conclude Ash's and Misty's relationship like that; it honestly felt very forced to me, like they just wanted Ash to move on and it wasn't the right move in my opinion. It still irks me that the writers just went ahead and threw out all that development. PokeShipping is only alive because of us who still support the pairing, but the writers did as much as they could to end it, which I thought was tactless.

  4. #4679
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    While I agree for the most part, I still think the writers could've taken another road and kept Misty in the cast and continued Ash's journey at the same time. I mean they didn't have to conclude Ash's and Misty's relationship like that; it honestly felt very forced to me, like they just wanted Ash to move on and it wasn't the right move in my opinion. It still irks me that the writers just went ahead and threw out all that development. PokeShipping is only alive because of us who still support the pairing, but the writers did as much as they could to end it, which I thought was tactless.
    Agreed. Plus I think he had a stronger relationship with Misty (and Brock) than any other pokegirls..
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  5. #4680
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshipper9000 View Post
    Well, Johto wasn't (IMO) considered to be much of pokeshipping, yes there was hints but it went on a low profile and plus they practically left Misty out too..like in the last two movies she barley had any roles in it. I think they had no explanation of writing her off and even if they do have Ash and Misty ending up together..it doesn't mean that they were going to end the show..

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    While I agree for the most part, I still think the writers could've taken another road and kept Misty in the cast and continued Ash's journey at the same time. I mean they didn't have to conclude Ash's and Misty's relationship like that; it honestly felt very forced to me, like they just wanted Ash to move on and it wasn't the right move in my opinion. It still irks me that the writers just went ahead and threw out all that development. PokeShipping is only alive because of us who still support the pairing, but the writers did as much as they could to end it, which I thought was tactless.
    They didn't know what to with her character. They stopped developing her goal of being a Water-type master. Throughout Orange Islands arc, she was being written as a love interest, but then that tapered off during Johto. I do believe some of it has to do with the fact that they decided not to end the series and keep Ash as the protagonist for the future. Pokeshipping end game basically meant end of the show, so it was better to write her off. Sure, they could have kept her as a recurring character and focused on her struggles as a Gym Leader and goal of becoming a Water-type master, but I guess they thought it would be easier just to 'clear slate' with Hoenn and have a new female lead.

    It was a terrible decision, and they received a lot of flak for it during that time, but it is what it is.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  6. #4681
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Yeah it is a horrible decision..but they took so much away from misty that it just seemed like they wanted to eliminate her so people won't know her. (Removing togepi, her friends, and her dream) I don't think it was a smart idea, and another reason why they wrote her off was to go along with the games since she's only a gym leader in the games. I think pokeshipping has great potential, it's one of the universal ships in pokemon and in pokemon parodies or pictures..
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  7. #4682
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshipper9000 View Post
    Yeah it is a horrible decision..but they took so much away from misty that it just seemed like they wanted to eliminate her so people won't know her. (Removing togepi, her friends, and her dream) I don't think it was a smart idea, and another reason why they wrote her off was to go along with the games since she's only a gym leader in the games. I think pokeshipping has great potential, it's one of the universal ships in pokemon and in pokemon parodies or pictures..
    I did feel that the writers were trying to change Misty's character too much in AG. What with her Togepi evolving and leaving and Misty being stuck at the Cerulean City Gym, I felt bad for her. She was basically downgraded and it was messed up. I'm glad that the writers at least gave her a few special episodes and that she made a few appearances in AG, but I'm greedy. I want more Misty so that she can interact with Ash like in the good old days. I'm very nostalgic and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

  8. #4683
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    I feel you, but what they're doing to her is kinda sad. It's like imagine you forcing to give up your dreams to take care of your sisters house, abandon your pet cat and leave the one guy you really love.
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  9. #4684
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pokeshipper9000 View Post
    Yeah it is a horrible decision..but they took so much away from misty that it just seemed like they wanted to eliminate her so people won't know her. (Removing togepi, her friends, and her dream) I don't think it was a smart idea, and another reason why they wrote her off was to go along with the games since she's only a gym leader in the games. I think pokeshipping has great potential, it's one of the universal ships in pokemon and in pokemon parodies or pictures..
    Well, the huge population of fans who stopped watching the show after Pokemon's popularity dipped still believe the canon pairing is Ash x Misty. And yes that's evident in all the parodies and pictures you find. It is the most popular pairing in the West I'd say; people tell me that Pearlshipping is more popular in Japan though (and then it's Pokeshipping I hear), although I question the shipping nature of that pairing altogether (same for Advanceshipping).

    Whatever, Misty's character is beloved, and Ash x Misty is always going to remain popular because it is the classic/original romantic pairing and it is basically the canon ship for Ash due to all the evidence behind it. Well maybe SatoSere might supplant it one day, but that remains to be seen.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  10. #4685
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    It is popular..but I heard that that Pokeshipping is more popular in japan by a little from a japanese friend, he told me no one really ships armourshipping as much as pearlshipping either.
    It's not an opinion that pokeshipping is canon. i know it is!
    *Edit* He told me pokeshipping was slightly the popular ship in the early days of D&P. As of now the famous ship there is Pearlshipping. I have no idea why.
    Last edited by OfCorsola; 3rd January 2014 at 3:34 AM.
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  11. #4686
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,114

    Default

    I'm not sure how popular PokeShipping is, but I do think it's respected since it was the first real pairing that was established when the anime started. I think a lot of people are aware that Ash and Misty had great chemistry and I think PokeShipping has had longevity because of that. Ash and Misty's chemistry is unmatched in my opinion. Either because it was originally meant to develop into something more serious later down the line or some other reason I'm not aware of, but I think PokeShipping is appreciated for being so original.

  12. #4687
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    I'm not sure how popular PokeShipping is, but I do think it's respected since it was the first real pairing that was established when the anime started. I think a lot of people are aware that Ash and Misty had great chemistry and I think PokeShipping has had longevity because of that. Ash and Misty's chemistry is unmatched in my opinion. Either because it was originally meant to develop into something more serious later down the line or some other reason I'm not aware of, but I think PokeShipping is appreciated for being so original.
    Misty and Ash did have the best chemistry because they were written that way. And well it has been unmatched because there hasn't been any real competing shipping that followed. Advanceshipping dissipated with the advent of Contestshipping, and Ash and May were written as brother/sister anyway. Pearlshipping had potential, but then Penguinshipping sprouted up, and Ash and Dawn were written as platonic friends regardless.

    SatoSere could become special, but Serena's character first needs to get better if her chemistry with Ash is going to be anywhere close to Misty X Ash.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  13. #4688
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Croatia.
    Posts
    2,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    They didn't know what to with her character. They stopped developing her goal of being a Water-type master. Throughout Orange Islands arc, she was being written as a love interest, but then that tapered off during Johto. I do believe some of it has to do with the fact that they decided not to end the series and keep Ash as the protagonist for the future. Pokeshipping end game basically meant end of the show, so it was better to write her off. Sure, they could have kept her as a recurring character and focused on her struggles as a Gym Leader and goal of becoming a Water-type master, but I guess they thought it would be easier just to 'clear slate' with Hoenn and have a new female lead.

    It was a terrible decision, and they received a lot of flak for it during that time, but it is what it is.
    Interestingly in second half of Johto writers strengthen Misty purpose by focusing a lot more on her water master career receiving her own arc in form of Whirl Cup which was directly linked to her dream, received new pokemon Corsola with eventual capture being foreshadowed through three episodes during Whirl Islands, Poliwhirl got evolved along with several episodes focusing on her background and aims. Such as about wild Macargo and trainer Egan emphasizing on her preference toward water types growing to respect fire trainers and their approach, battled gym leader Dorian focusing on her negative experiences with sisters in past, revealed her other preferences such as interest in cheer leading helping Nami about it etc.

    Bonded on more clooser level with her pokemon like Poliwhirl helping him to stand up and fight back bully Poliwrath etc.

    She also gained more independence and confidence as character standing in her own right by often taking initiative to take care of things on her own not relying on Ash and Brock help as much, while that romantic affection toward Ash character still existed through outbursts of jealousy or protecting nature of not wanting that he reushes into danger such as in Lugia arc, not letting other girls like Macy to come close near him etc.
    Becoming even more attached to him than she was in Kanto, Orange being only female companion which clearly didn't wanted to leave during departure with whole sisters and gym situation upsetting her.

    Writers definitely had material to keep Misty in anime past Johto with many things about her water master quest, her desire to become strong and renowned water expert like her idol lorelei is ,her pokemon, background and personal flaws and issues(such as tending to measure pokemon by looks rather than strength with specie like Surskit offering lot of potential growth, her impulsive somewhat impatient nature preventing her from extracting full potential of her pokemon like Psyduck, having trouble in expressing how she feels bout something and admitting to herself such as whole crush on Ash etc) ending left unexplored and uncleared.

    In romance aspect they could had balance things out by dealing with whole affection character felt for Ash in balanced, subtle manner raising it on higher level of Misty herself pondering if Ash is worth her time due to his naivety and clueless nature, not being sure herself how and what in reality she feels toward him which came on surface few times during her reign on cast not being willing to admit herself and others that she cares.

    Without compromising nature of show with primary focus of her continuation in cast being focused on development of her own career asnd immense love for water pokemon stating quite a few times how she lives and breath for them, along with building on strength, characterization and motivation as far as character development goes.

    But in end writers under order of head writer Takeshi Shudo who felt series needed to change something after pokemon popularity started to drop(and continues to do so showing how cast changing doesn't help, actually hampers by making people who are disappointed and saddened over those they care about leaving quitting weith anime) basing his decision on who is going to leave on role someone played and personal preference(explaining why was TR kept), had to start planning Misty removal from show.

    Along with infamous interview with Masamitsu Hidaka from 2008 blatantly stating how writers rather want to use new girl designs for fanservice purposes (abit sexist view in my honest opinion). And until such trend remains no matter how well certain female companion was received and how much potential beneath surface lies,wont help at all in someone being kept.

    Showing in end to be unpopular decision with unfinished status of Misty story, abruptly cut career and dreams, her own ambitions, and untold things about her feelings, relationship with Ash, personal struggles she had and unexplored aspects of personality, her own family and past making many people shocked at first and heavily disappointed.

    With her leaving causing massive complaints, many people even quit show altogether from what i noticed with notably high demand for character return existing even nowadays if internet is something to go by.

    Making it seem like at that time writers purposely left story open with Misty to allow easier way to return her back in case they decide to do more with her, but as time went on and they decided to continue adding new girls they either didn't bothered or forgot to finish what they started about character.

    Whole way under which she left cast taking over gym out of obligation and necessity expressing her frustration and irkness over sisters incompetence, never giving up from her dream of becoming water master and top water expert becoming strongest water trainer in world showing desire to travel again was clear indication how Misty story and undefined future and path in which thing will pan out was on purpose unresolved .

    There is also fact of Misty still showing signs of attachment and allegation toward Ash after departure. In "Cerulean Blue" in end of episode in Japan version she thinks only about Ash asking inspector Joy to convey her greetings to him, in "Date with Delcatty" in original version when Georgio asked her on date she declines feeling embarassed saying how "there is someone else"(dub changed lot of things in this episode with not only Georgio scene being altered, but also ending of episode where in original Misty feels saddened questions herself what she should do with current situation feeling let down, saying how her sisters are of no use having to stay there and do her best for time being). Accompanied with further frustration at her older siblings and reluctance to leave Ash and co so quickly in her last cameo.

    Being pretty strong indications how her feelings for Ash and dream of becoming water master are still present within character, but due to current circumstances she decided to stay and help family out due to knowing how there is no one to rely on currently.

    That usually happens when writers want to make sure to have that "extra option", leaving Misty story on purpose untied to have easier way of bringing her back in case they decide to do something in future. Which dependig on their motiovation can both happen or just stay way it is now much to people disappointment.

    I agree with everyone how Misty deserves to return again, give us some update and new info about her, how much she changed, improved as trainer, what new pokemon she acquired and get more development clearing things up receiving proper closure.
    As well revive that great, full of color and flare dynamic she was capable of producing in her interactions with everyone, especially Ash.

    Her spunky attitude and tendency to tease brought that charm i feel is lacking in pokemon now days serving in a way as push/motivation to Ash to go forward with some sort of rivalry always being present between those two trying to surpass each other.
    With her cameo in Hoenn compared to other girl cameos showing contrast in characterization and increase of tension in cast chemistry. As showed in seeming to like playfully teasing Ash and Brock throwing in sarcastic remarks being quite spunky. While radiating with pride and defiance showing lot of flare, hotheaded nature and some of her girly, quirky side leaving Ash perplexed when using Gyarados, taking care of things on her own when saving Togepi or getting Max when they were lost out of forest.
    Last edited by pokemon fan 132; 3rd January 2014 at 2:53 PM.

  14. #4689
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    ^that was well put. In my opinion Misty and May had bigger potential than any of the other pokegirls. When Ash saw that Misty has caught a gyradose, he was very impressed. She must have had so many adventures by now that I bet she's dying to tell him. However, I'm pretty sure the gym leader life isn't what she want. The writers kept Ash on and on for years for him to pursue his pokemon master goal to influence people not to give up. However, making Misty a gym leader unwillingly and just forgetting about her plot to be a water pokemon master is a horrible example. What I don't understand is that in gotta catch you later when her sisters said they need her to look over after the gym for a while is that misty gets upset, and ash tells her it's only going to be until her sisters are back. They came back and they still need misty. It doesn't make sense..how were the sisters running the gym in the indigo leauge until johto? They didn't seem to have any problems then.. I'm hoping they at least have Misty return in X and Y at least a cameo because unlike Dawn, Iris, Cilan,Bonnie..etc, Ash, Brock and Misty all agreed that they are all best friends. & best friends don't stop seeing each other for like 8 seasons.
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  15. #4690
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    Misty and Ash did have the best chemistry because they were written that way. And well it has been unmatched because there hasn't been any real competing shipping that followed. Advanceshipping dissipated with the advent of Contestshipping, and Ash and May were written as brother/sister anyway. Pearlshipping had potential, but then Penguinshipping sprouted up, and Ash and Dawn were written as platonic friends regardless.

    SatoSere could become special, but Serena's character first needs to get better if her chemistry with Ash is going to be anywhere close to Misty X Ash.
    To be fair, OrangeShipping (Misty x Tracey) exists and it could've grown to be bigger than PokeShipping. In fact, I still know people who support that pairing, and it could've become a threat to PokeShipping at one point. Thankfully, it never got as popular as PokeShipping, but I do think that PokeShipping was tested a few times. Not that it's totally bad; I personally don't mind conflict since it keeps ships interesting. I'm just saying that no ship is safe and that despite Ash and Misty's chemistry, there was always a chance that a bigger pairing would upstage it.

  16. #4691
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    To be fair, OrangeShipping (Misty x Tracey) exists and it could've grown to be bigger than PokeShipping. In fact, I still know people who support that pairing, and it could've become a threat to PokeShipping at one point. Thankfully, it never got as popular as PokeShipping, but I do think that PokeShipping was tested a few times. Not that it's totally bad; I personally don't mind conflict since it keeps ships interesting. I'm just saying that no ship is safe and that despite Ash and Misty's chemistry, there was always a chance that a bigger pairing would upstage it.
    I suppose there are legitimate Orangeshippers out there. From what I have seen though, Orangeshipping is mostly cited as the defense that non-Pokeshippers throw out to defend their Ash x Pokegirl shipping against Pokeshipping. I laughed at how the English dub completely wrecked the possibility Orangeshipping too; the fix was in.

    Ash X Misty/May x Drew/Dawn X Kenny/Gary/Paul (your choice) are the implied pairings of the show from a completely neutral POV anyway involving the main characters. You're right that "no ship is safe" and the show might very well promote Ash X Serena depending on where XY goes with that.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  17. #4692
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    37

    Default

    Interesting conversations! There's been a lot lately and good because I check this site almost everyday lol

    Here's my take: (I apologize in advance since I know I'll have a lot to say)

    Pokemon was my favorite cartoon as a child. I think one of my personal reasons for liking the ash and misty pairing so much right now is because I didn't have to find any hints, they were just there. It was a natural pairing, for me at least. With other anime, I sometimes ship a pairing just because I think they look nice or work well together, but I have to find hints. Kind of how I am right now with amourshipping, granted it is a new shipping so of course I have to wait to find hints. But at least for me, with the ash and misty pairing I didn't start out shipping them and then look for hints. The hints came to me when I was a young girl and then I shipped them. So pokeshipping is a very special shipping for me. But like I have been saying, this is all based on my personal experience.

    Having said all of the above, I can totally understand why other people are very protective, for lack of better term, of their own pairing. But looking at the anime itself, without my bias, we can all agree that romance is not what this anime is about. It just simply isn't. But this is what I loved about it. I like the fact that romance is on the side, it makes it that much more interesting! And it feels more natural too, because in real life we don't focus most of our time on our own love lives. But I have to say one thing, pokemon has so much potential that it's frustrating. Does anyone else feel the same way? I like it how it is now (it's fun to watch), but as an anime-watcher/bookworm/film lover it frustrates me so much seeing so much more can be done with it. But then again, it wouldn't be Pokemon anymore right?

    Back to pokeshipping, I'd like to point out some of my personal reasons why I think ash and misty, as the characters they are, are meant for each other. Nobody has to agree with me, I just hope it gets people discussing more.
    1. Ash and Misty are actually quite similar. They both have their pride, but (though they may show it differently) are very passionate about protecting the ones they love. They are both stubborn, which is why I think they often fought a lot. What I'm trying to show here is that they are both quite similar which is what most couples in real life I've seen are. I haven't watched much of the other females, but I have yet to see this quality in the other ash pairings and other misty pairings. Note** I;m not trying to debunk any other couple here, I'm just trying to point out what is unique to this pairing, as I'm sure there are other unique characteristics of the other pairings, and again this is my personal view **
    2. Ash and Misty's differences balance each other quite nicely.
    a. Ash is known to be dense, and it seems like Misty is quite intuitive. This works because Misty's intuition makes up for ash's denseness.
    b. Misty finds it hard to share her feelings, while it seems like Ash (so long as he is conscious of his feelings) has no problem expressing what he feels.
    I'm pretty sure that if ash knew he had feelings for someone, he would want that person to know. He can help Misty open up.
    c. Ash, as opposed to Misty, seems to act without thinking. Misty has her temper, but when it comes to making decisions I've noticed that she reasons it out.
    While Ash makes decisions by feeling more than reasoning. This also works. When ash is all hyped about battling, Misty is there to remind him to not get caught up in his pride.
    3. They need each other. When ash gets all excited about winning, Misty keeps him grounded. When ash loses confidence, Misty helps bring it back. When Misty loses her confidence, ash is there to comfort her.

    Okay I think that's about it. And again, nobody has to agree with me. I just hope it gets people discussing more.
    Last edited by Poke-Girl9; 4th January 2014 at 3:59 AM.

  18. #4693
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hoenn
    Posts
    966

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Poke-Girl9 View Post
    Interesting conversations! There's been a lot lately and good because I check this site almost everyday lol

    Here's my take: (I apologize in advance since I know I'll have a lot to say)

    Pokemon was my favorite cartoon as a child. I think one of my personal reasons for liking the ash and misty pairing so much right now is because I didn't have to find any hints, they were just there. It was a natural pairing, for me at least. With other anime, I sometimes ship a pairing just because I think they look nice or work well together, but I have to find hints. Kind of how I am right now with amourshipping, granted it is a new shipping so of course I have to wait to find hints. But at least for me, with the ash and misty pairing I didn't start out shipping them and then look for hints. The hints came to me when I was a young girl and then I shipped them. So pokeshipping is a very special shipping for me. But like I have been saying, this is all based on my personal experience.

    Having said all of the above, I can totally understand why other people are very protective, for lack of better term, of their own pairing. But looking at the anime itself, without my bias, we can all agree that romance is not what this anime is about. It just simply isn't. But this is what I loved about it. I like the fact that romance is on the side, it makes it that much more interesting! And it feels more natural too, because in real life we don't focus most of our time on our own love lives. But I have to say one thing, pokemon has so much potential that it's frustrating. Does anyone else feel the same way? I like it how it is now (it's fun to watch), but as an anime-watcher/bookworm/film lover it frustrates me so much seeing so much more can be done with it. But then again, it wouldn't be Pokemon anymore right?

    Back to pokeshipping, I'd like to point out some of my personal reasons why I think ash and misty, as the characters they are, are meant for each other. Nobody has to agree with me, I just hope it gets people discussing more.
    1. Ash and Misty are actually quite similar. They both have their pride, but (though they may show it differently) are very passionate about protecting the ones they love. They are both stubborn, which is why I think they often fought a lot. What I'm trying to show here is that they are both quite similar which is what most couples in real life I've seen are. I haven't watched much of the other females, but I have yet to see this quality in the other ash pairings and other misty pairings. Note** I;m not trying to debunk any other couple here, I'm just trying to point out what is unique to this pairing, as I'm sure there are other unique characteristics of the other pairings, and again this is my personal view **
    2. Ash and Misty's differences balance each other quite nicely.
    a. Ash is known to be dense, and it seems like Misty is quite intuitive. This works because Misty's intuition makes up for ash's denseness.
    b. Misty finds it hard to share her feelings, while it seems like Ash (so long as he is conscious of his feelings) has no problem expressing what he feels.
    I'm pretty sure that if ash knew he had feelings for someone, he would want that person to know. He can help Misty open up.
    c. Ash, as opposed to Misty, seems to act without thinking. Misty has her temper, but when it comes to making decisions I've noticed that she reasons it out.
    While Ash makes decisions by feeling more than reasoning. This also works. When ash is all hyped about battling, Misty is there to remind him to not get caught up in his pride.
    3. They need each other. When ash gets all excited about winning, Misty keeps him grounded. When ash loses confidence, Misty helps bring it back. When Misty loses her confidence, ash is there to comfort her.

    Okay I think that's about it. And again, nobody has to agree with me. I just hope it gets people discussing more.
    As for me, there is no need to apologize if your posts are "long" I enjoy reading them anyways.
    You're right Ash and Misty's hint were always there.
    I like to think that they helped each other out. I mean, if Misty hadn't been with Ash at first he'd be completely lost without her. For example the time when he tried catching a pokemon and misty tells him he has too weaken it first, and many other tips as he started out. He passed the knowledge and tips that Misty taught him to May, showing that what a great impact Misty was. But not only did Misty help him out, I feel like he taught her many things too. Like in the chronicles, (cerulean blues) when she endangered her self to save gyradoes was completely something Ash would have done for his pokemon. It was totally an Ash move which shows she was taught and inspired to stand up for her Pokemon no matter what happens. Also they helped each other in battles..they have the same battling techniques because they helped each other out. I think that's very sweet.
    Crazy Shipper|Misty, May, and Drew|Anime Fangirl


  19. #4694
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Pallet Town
    Posts
    2,145

    Default

    I've been re-watching some Pokemon Chronicles episodes, which, by the way, 4Kids did a truly abysmal job with. I usually like 4Kids but the work they did on Chronicles looks like it was done by a completely different company. Just awful.

    That brings up just a quick point I want to make. In "A Date with Delcatty!", an admirer, Georgio, asks Misty on a date. 4Kids completely changed the original Japanese translation. I've been doing a little bit of research, mainly through Dogasu's comments, but he does not provide an exact translation. I would like to attempt to translate the conversation based purely on knowledge gained from a few sources (I have no knowledge of the Japanese language). This translation comes after he initially asks her out.

    4Kids Dub
    Georgio: Well Misty, what's your answer?
    *Misty and Casey give an awkward laugh, Misty sweatdrops a bit*
    Casey: He seems nice.
    Misty: *closing her eyes, looking downward and blushing a bit; her voice is firm* I can't, I'm sorry.
    Casey: *turns to Georgio* Oh well, shot down.
    Georgio: *not giving up* Misty, your the most beautiful girl I've ever seen.
    Misty: *she is taken aback and gives a surprised gasp* Huh?
    Casey: You're not the type to fall for that mushy stuff?...
    Misty: *she turns away with a bit of sweatdrop* Uh, well...
    Casey: Or... are you?
    *Psyduck pops out of its Pokeball, Misty and Casey are surprised*
    Psyduck: *tilts its head up towards Misty* Psy?
    Misty: *puzzled* Now what?
    Psyduck: *expression turns to a giggling blush, teasing her a bit* Psyyy!
    Misty: *clearly frustrated, grinding her teeth and blushing hard, she quickly pulls Psyduck's Pokeball* RETURN!
    *Psyduck returns to its Pokeball*
    Misty: *still blushing* That's it, I'm getting out of here!

    My Attempted Translation Attempt of the Original Japanese Version (changes in bold)
    Georgio: Well Misty, what's your answer?
    *Misty and Casey give an awkward laugh, Misty sweatdrops a bit*
    Casey: He seems nice.
    Misty: *closing her eyes, looking downward and blushing a bit; her voice is firm* I can't, I'm sorry.
    Casey: *turns to Georgio* Oh well, shot down.
    Georgio: But why? Is there someone else?
    Misty: *she is taken aback and gives a surprised gasp* Huh? (Note: She is taken aback because she is surprised by the question, not surprised by Georgio complimenting her.)
    Casey: I don't think there is anyone else. (Note: This is the one line that I'm not totally sure on... Could be asking a question or making a statement. All I know is that Casey is saying something along the lines of that she thinks Misty does not have a "someone else" in her life.)
    Misty: *she turns away with a bit of sweatdrop* Uh, well...
    Casey: Or... is there?
    *Psyduck pops out of its Pokeball, Misty and Casey are surprised*
    Psyduck: *tilts its head up towards Misty* Psy?
    Misty: *puzzled* Now what?
    Psyduck: *expression turns to a giggling blush, teasing her a bit* Psyyy! (IMPORTANT: Psyduck clearly knows that there is someone else (Ash), and it giggles and blushes with its knowledge.)
    Misty: *clearly frustrated, grinding her teeth and blushing hard, she quickly pulls Psyduck's Pokeball* RETURN! (Note: She is frustrated not because Psyduck is laughing at her for falling for Georgio's mushy line but rather because she knows that Psyduck knows that there is indeed a "someone else".)
    *Psyduck returns to its Pokeball*
    Misty: *still blushing* That's it, I'm getting out of here!

    Significantly different. In the 4Kids version, Misty is just embarrassed by the situation at hand, and Casey and Psyduck especially tease and egg her on a bit. In the original Japanese version, Misty tries to hide the fact that there is someone else that she likes but is uncomfortable admitting. Psyduck knows what is going on and finds it to be pretty hilarious. Dogasu actually tried to give an attempt of reasoning for the 4Kids translation, but it is awfully weak. He doesn't really like shipping haha.

    But yeah, just thought this would be a nice little bit of clarification for everyone.
    Last edited by munchlaxboy; 4th January 2014 at 8:11 PM.

  20. #4695
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    The English dubbing was mostly done well (people exaggerate with claims that it mistranslated everything). But it is odd that in certain instances they made moments more Pokeshippy and then in some completely removed the Pokeshippy aspect.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  21. #4696
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,114

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Maldread View Post
    The English dubbing was mostly done well (people exaggerate with claims that it mistranslated everything). But it is odd that in certain instances they made moments more Pokeshippy and then in some completely removed the Pokeshippy aspect.
    4Kids was very inconsistent when it came to dubbing the anime. Still, I appreciated most of their ad-libbed PokeShipping hints because at least they added to the excitement of supporting the pairing. Even though 4Kids often took matters into their own hands and pushed PokeShipping more than the original anime did imo, at least they gave us shippers what we wanted. I often wonder if 4Kids' staff were PokeShippers themselves lol.

  22. #4697
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    812

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lorde View Post
    4Kids was very inconsistent when it came to dubbing the anime. Still, I appreciated most of their ad-libbed PokeShipping hints because at least they added to the excitement of supporting the pairing. Even though 4Kids often took matters into their own hands and pushed PokeShipping more than the original anime did imo, at least they gave us shippers what we wanted. I often wonder if 4Kids' staff were PokeShippers themselves lol.
    Uh, please stop making this claim. The biggest Pokeshipping hints weren't exclusively in the dub. They were also in the original as well. The dub added hints 4Kids added are very minor in comparison to the outright and blatant expressions of attraction Ash and Misty showed in the original.

  23. #4698
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    Uh, please stop making this claim. The biggest Pokeshipping hints weren't exclusively in the dub. They were also in the original as well. The dub added hints 4Kids added are very minor in comparison to the outright and blatant expressions of attraction Ash and Misty showed in the original.
    I agree with this statement. Ash X Misty was blatant in the OS - 4Kids only accentuated it.
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

  24. #4699
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    445

    Default

    Misty was in the show long enough imo. She was in Indigo, Orange Islands and Johto. Her character was pretty much stagnant an was going nowhere. If Pokemon was a more violent show, she would have been killed off. Iris and especially Dawn needed more time, but got shafted. Dawn is more popular now than Misty ever was so if anyone deserved to come back, it would be her. I can only see Misty coming back if she competed against Ash collecting badges instead of partnering with him.

  25. #4700
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    A2 - Best College Town
    Posts
    2,804

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chalkus View Post
    Misty was in the show long enough imo. She was in Indigo, Orange Islands and Johto. Her character was pretty much stagnant an was going nowhere.

    If Pokemon was a more violent show, she would have been killed off.
    This makes absolutely zero sense.

    Iris and especially Dawn needed more time, but got shafted.
    And how exactly did Dawn get shafted when she basically given co-star status throughout DP? If anything Misty got shafted because the writers didn't resolve both her and Ash's romantic subplot nor her goal of becoming a Water-type master.

    Dawn is more popular now than Misty ever was so if anyone deserved to come back, it would be her.
    Except that's not true at all. Everyone knows Misty because she was the heroine during the height of Pokemon. Same can't be said for Dawn. Maybe Dawn has more popularity in Japan nowadays (there's no proof behind that assumption though), but Misty has always been very popular in the West.

    I can only see Misty coming back if she competed against Ash collecting badges instead of partnering with him.
    Why the hell would Misty start collecting badges?
    "We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven. That which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts. Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."
    Thank you FairyWitch for the banner!

Page 188 of 255 FirstFirst ... 88138178184185186187188189190191192198238 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •