Thread: Switching Speed Mechanics

Default Switching Speed Mechanics

Alright so me and some of my friends who are getting back into Pokemon for the fun of it are gonna have an upcoming tournament. Since we dont have really strong movesets, I can see a lot of switching going on in this game: I throw out blastoise, he throws out raichu, I then take back my blastoise and send out golem,, he sends out his blastoise, etc. I know sometimes theres ways that you can get hits in before they switch off, or if your speed is fast enough be able to hit the guy hes switching in on their first move, but I not really sure about the details.

I was wondering if anyone has a link to a guide out there that might have been written up on the mechanics of switching and spped (specifically fr/lg if it matters), or if anyone has any advice on the best thing you can do for a battle where everyones just trying to match up for super-effective. Thanks!

As far as I understand, the only way to attack a switching-out pokemon is to have a certain pokemon with an ability that allows it to. As to what the ability is, other than arena trap, I've no clue. Like foxyman1167 has said (thanks) pursuit is also another good option.
    Last edited by DemonLabRat; 1st February 2009 at 5:55 PM.

Well the only way to hit a pokemon trying to switch is Pursuit. Or if your pokemon has an ability that cannot allow switches, like Magnemite/Magneton and Magnet Pull traps Steels, Dugtrio and his ability Arena Trap traps everyone but Flying and pokemon with Levitate abilty, and Shadow Tag from Wobbuffet traps everyone.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass