View Poll Results: What do you think of my skill as a spriter.

Voters
96. You may not vote on this poll
  • Really good, don't see much else to improve on.

20 20.83%
  • Pretty good, a little more work here and there.

51 53.13%
  • Decent, good but needs to work on shading/line work.

18 18.75%
  • okay, has good ideas, but needs a lot more work.

1 1.04%
  • Bad, needs a ton of improvement and work in spriting.

6 6.25%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: -Raiga-'s sprites

I like that you used dithering on the sudowoodo but it might have been better off with less. Currently its very grainy and confusing.

Spoiler:- Quote's I like.:

Wow, that Sudowoodo pixel over is AMAZING! Although, the size is a bit big...
    Also your spites at the bottom would look nicer without the glow around them.
    Nice work man.

FC: 0475 0331 5081

there's a wayward pixel atop the sudowoododo pixel over, just felt like pointing it out.

I wood(see what I did thar) see the green leaves it has, as smoooth with no dithering, but the body has rather excellent shading, though I could see a more shading effect like it's PS2 3d model.
    Minncinno used Substitute!Minncinno used Thunderbolt!

Serebii.net, come for the Pokemon news, stay for the forums.

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga-
    Another pixel over...

Still looking for help with the chuck trainer sprite and either of these pixel over. Also ignore the stray pixel at the top.
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalFlygon08
    there's a wayward pixel atop the sudowoododo pixel over, just felt like pointing it out.
    What to go champ.

For the Chuck sprite I feel as though his right arm (one on the ground) isn't thick enough since his left arm is behind him slightly and looks more muscular.

Spoiler:- Quote's I like.:

hence,
    just FELT LIKE pointing it out
    , can't I be a little obnoxious time and time again?
    The feet after looking again seem awfully pointy for Psudowoodo, a low kixk from those would sting.
    Minncinno used Substitute!Minncinno used Thunderbolt!

Serebii.net, come for the Pokemon news, stay for the forums.

I like that you used dithering on the sudowoodo but it might have been better off with less. Currently its very grainy and confusing.
    Perhaps on the leaves I could agree, but it would be nice if you could get back to me on why its confusing, since I can't quite fix it if I don't know why its confusing.

Wow, that Sudowoodo pixel over is AMAZING! Although, the size is a bit big...
    Also your spites at the bottom would look nicer without the glow around them.
    Nice work man.
    As long as its proportional, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want something as big as they can have it. it lets you get a lot of fine details in.

Also the reason I have the glow around the sprites is to help compensate for the fact that pokemon sprites don't use anti-aliasing like most other games. As a result, some of them may look bad on the many different available skins on the forum. However I am taking this into account and am trying to make all my future sprites look good on the most common skins.

Anyways thanks for the nice comment.

I kept thinking whether I should go through all of the work of retransparentizing it and re-uploading it just to get rid of the dot. I swear if I lose any votes I would have gotten otherwise because of the pixel I'll laugh my butt off.

I wood(see what I did thar) see the green leaves it has, as smoooth with no dithering, but the body has rather excellent shading, though I could see a more shading effect like it's PS2 3d model.
    I was contemplating about changing the shading, but I personally think it would be better to have one consistant type of shading rather than another one thrown in that only takes up about a 1/5 of the picture. However I may make another version later to please everybody as I've already fixed a few things.

For the Chuck sprite I feel as though his right arm (one on the ground) isn't thick enough since his left arm is behind him slightly and looks more muscular.
    Thank you finally for the chuck comment. I definately have tried to make the right arm bigger, but due to how big it is already it looks insanely big. Sort of like if you put an extra lane on the outside of a race track, its bound to be way bigger than the inside lanes. BUT, I have been trying to learn a bit more about muscles, and I think if I do make it a bit more muscular as opposed to bigger, it may work.

The feet after looking again seem awfully pointy for Psudowoodo, a low kixk from those would sting.
    I was thinking that myself, but if you check the card I pixeled over in the contest thread, you'll notice I didn't change it much. But I will take it into consideration, so thanks.

Thanks to everyone who commented as well. And please comment or leave a critique if you have the time. I'll try to find something else to sprite a bit later.
    ----------------------------------

these are all pretty damn good damn good your snorlax is abit unclear in the face and your altaria one looks like the head peace of ho-oh is looking very copy and pastish but apart from these small things you have done some really good work
    Everyone sing praise for the amazing 'Hydro King who made this completely awsome, amazing banner

I claimed Snover hurray hes mine

Here are my other claims, The Game Elder Scrolls V Oblivion, Also the Cerulean City Gym Leader Misty

Quote Originally Posted by squlicky4 View Post
    these are all pretty damn good damn good your snorlax is abit unclear in the face and your altaria one looks like the head peace of ho-oh is looking very copy and pastish but apart from these small things you have done some really good work
    First off, please try to not use run-on sentences, its extremely hard to read when you do.

Anyways, not to be rude in any way, but I do need you to tell me why the face looks unclear, because right now I can't fix what I don't know.

And I assure you the head piece from ho-oh is original, as ho-oh's one doesn't face the same direction as mine.

Here are both of the full versions of the latis I made for the wsc:birthday week 1 celebration.(by full version I mean everthing that wasn't cut off from the banner, as its obvious latias is missing part of its wing)

100% custom(including colors)

I tried to go for a look I seen a while ago that used only circular dots for shading and decided to try it out. Its pretty cool, and thanks to looking around I found another style of shading to try out later.

If you wan't to see the whole banner go and check out the thread, plus you'll get to see all of the other spriters wonderful banners so its a win/win situation.
    Last edited by -Raiga-; 19th October 2009 at 10:15 PM.

the shading technique works better on latios(which ever one is blue) but on the red one the style doesnt work that well on it
    Give a man a fish, and he won't be hungry for a day.
    Beat the man to death with your shoe, and he'l never be hungry again.

Click here and watch me on DA

Quote Originally Posted by pikadude43 View Post
    the shading technique works better on latios(which ever one is blue) but on the red one the style doesnt work that well on it
    I thought people would probably like the blue one better, so it comes as no surprise. Do keep in mind that they are two different styles though. The latias uses circles to completely define all of the light areas, but the latios uses more of a defined shading with a few circles to add a bit of a style to it. I do think I'll stick with the latios style though, as I made him second so you can see the improvement.

Thanks for the comment!

I think the Latios could sue another shade on its back. Other than that, I really like this style. You should stick with it for a bit. I like the Latias one better though. Its just more original and different than other styles.

Good job. =)
    Co-Founder & Artist of

Quote Originally Posted by Aquakip View Post
    I think the Latios could use another shade on its back. Other than that, I really like this style. You should stick with it for a bit. I like the Latias one better though. Its just more original and different than other styles.

Good job. =)
    Thanks a lot man, believe me it means a lot coming from you.

I do have to say I'm surprised on both accounts. Since I expected almost everyone to like latios better due to it being a lot neater and following the rules of the style better. As the latias just has random circles everywhere, unlike the latios which I decided to make the circles go inwards from the lightest part.

The second part I was surprised about is the extra shade on his back, as I thought it was maybe a bit too dark. You have to remember that since they are flying in the air, the light from the sun reaches our atmosphere and the light starts reflecting off the small particles cause light to be emitted from all directions. Which, of course means the back will be illuminated somewhat also.

New entry for WSC. Fusion of pikachu, togekiss, plusle, minun, and skitty.

I think the back leg could use some work in shading and placement, but otherwise I think its a solid fusion.

Quote Originally Posted by -Raiga- View Post
    New entry for WSC. Fusion of pikachu, togekiss, plusle, minun, and skitty.

I think the back leg could use some work in shading and placement, but otherwise I think its a solid fusion.
    Well I love this type of fusion. To make it seem like it's own Pokemon entirely, and also to have a great sense of fun. This just looks like a playful little thing.

However, there are a few things. As you said the hind leg seems a bit off, maybe make the belly cover it up a bit (like extend the line defining the belly over the top-left portion of the leg.)

Also, the outline color for the white is really bright. Not your fault since you are using official colors, but perhaps make a dark brown or something for the white areas, because it looks odd going from a pale-gold to black.

Also, on the red whisker, there is a black line that we see connects it to the face. It looks... not good. You could erase it all together and we would still know that it is connected to the face by looking at the blue one and making the conenction.

Besides those few things, though, I really do like this fusion. It's creative and not C+P.

Quote Originally Posted by Fused View Post
    However, there are a few things. As you said the hind leg seems a bit off, maybe make the belly cover it up a bit (like extend the line defining the belly over the top-left portion of the leg.)

Also, the outline color for the white is really bright. Not your fault since you are using official colors, but perhaps make a dark brown or something for the white areas, because it looks odd going from a pale-gold to black.
    Actually, I made all of the colors myself, so I take full responsibility for that. Outlines have always been my worst area.

Also, on the red whisker, there is a black line that we see connects it to the face. It looks... not good. You could erase it all together and we would still know that it is connected to the face by looking at the blue one and making the conenction.

I have changed everything you to what you said and a does look quite a bit more decent. I also smoothed out the curve on the bottom of the chest. The outline colors look a lot better now, I just kept some black in the darker areas as I wanted to keep the traditional pokemon style.

Here is the animated version I just made simply out of boredom. I do think the tail is a bit out of proportion or the shading is off or somthing, but its not that big of a deal.

Pixel-overs are hands down ur best work, but scratching could use some more love.
    I found the super saiyen Lickitung hilarious and That cloyster warrior thing is sooooo BA

my random thought of the week:
    Life is full of surprises--That's what we love and hate about it. Once we think we've got things figured out, life throws us a screwball. Sure it sucks for a while, but we always come back for more.
    Now why would you want to click this?

Quote Originally Posted by Killer_Squirtle View Post
    Pixel-overs are hands down ur best work, but scratching could use some more love.
    I found the super saiyan Lickitung hilarious and That cloyster warrior thing is sooooo BA
    Thanks a lot! By the way, by "scratching could use some love", do you mean my scratching could use some more work, or just to make more scratches? Since if its the first, I pretty much make my pixel overs the same and my scratches so I would find that a bit odd, but I suppose I'll wait to find out what you meant first.

Here is my latest entry for the WSC: Mightyena flying retype/

I really wanted to make this one a truly amazing entry that could possibly win, but I just don't have the skills to right now. My original goal was a bit odd, and that was to have sort of thin red lines coming out of each of his claws, almost as if he flew by tearing through different dimensions. Unfortuately every time I tried to do it the lines looked extremely ugly and didn't go with the color combo so I gave up on that. However I do intend to come back to it someday.

While I feel a bit down in spirits as far as the sprite goes, if anyone does have any comments on how to improve the sprite please tell me. Due to me giving up halfway there are quite a few things I know I didn't finish, like the shading on the clouds and the line coloring. I also realize he looks a bit fat, which in the original linework before I added the clouds he wasn't, but the clouds block the top half of him so I assume thats why he looks so chubby.

Lately I've been getting pretty annoyed by the fact that many of the spriters I had seen start spriting have already completely passed me and are on completely different level. I especially realized it when I seen a new spriter recently on the forums with some scratch sprites that were above the level of any of the current spriters on the forums.

So as any good spriter would do I looked at all of the hgss sprites and tried to figure out what exactly I'm doing wrong. However that didn't really do anything but confuse me, and I still couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong. As I made that really crappy mightyena in the previous post I thought I thought I did a great job with it. However looking at it later I still didn't neccesarily realize the mistakes I made in it, but I did notice it looked bad.

Finally I came to the conclusion that I think I get so into making the sprite zoomed in that even if it looks absolutely perfect then, its the goal of the spriter to make it so zoomed out someone playing the game won't even question what it looks like. Which I usually take a break and look at the sprite zoomed out later, but I think the thought of it zoomed in sort of overrides that in my mind.

So ANYWAYS, now that I'm done with my useless paragraphs I provide all the time, here is the sprite I've been trying to remake since working on linework.

Old on left, new on right.

If there has ever been a time where I wanted people to comment it is certainly now. As an added bonus, if you have a sprite thread that you use now, I'll critique your latest sprite/sprites. I'm doing this because obviously its hard to get critiques here for anyone other than the beginners, so I fiure its a deal the works for both sides.

Heres what I want help most on-
    The eye - I changed it from the older sprite, but I'm unsure of the expresion and spriting of it.
    HIS left wing - I was ables to fix up the right wing decently, but his left wing linework needs some work.
    Shading - I've revamped it quite a bit(different styles, but still a major upgrade), however a few areas might need some work like around his left shoulder and his head.

Of course those are just ideas, ANY HELP would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Attempted to help.

Since it's easier than trying to explain how you should color it pixel by pixel. Changed the right wing shading a bit or left wing or whatever. Our left wing. And the head/neck shading.

>_o not sure about the wing but the neck/head looks a bit better imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Yami Ryu View Post
    Attempted to help.

Since it's easier than trying to explain how you should color it pixel by pixel. Changed the right wing shading a bit or left wing or whatever. Our left wing. And the head/neck shading.

>_o not sure about the wing but the neck/head looks a bit better imo.
    Thank you very much! I agree about the head/neck shading, that was what I was thinking needed to be done, but it looks much better the way you illustrated it.

The wing shading I do find odd as you mentioned. I think the reason is because the way you have it shaded it makes the wing appear convex, where I picture it as being more concave similar to the zubat line. However I think it might be the light source that could be confusing you, as I have the back side of his wing lit, so you may have thought I had the light from the northwest not hitting past his wing. Its not necessarily easy to explain, but I can make an example should you not understand.

However I think it could just be our differing ideas on where the light source hits.

Regardless, thanks for the tips on the neck/head, I'll be sure to incorporate it in the sprite tomorrow when I have more time.

If anyone else could please put their input in also it would be very helpful.

Not just differing ideas as to where the light source is...

I just suck at coloring wings 8D

I think using Zubat or Aerodactyl or HOWEVER IT IS SPELT would be for the best then, then atleast one of us would know what to do.

I mean the sprite since we're both clueless D:

Quote Originally Posted by Yami Ryu View Post
    Not just differing ideas as to where the light source is...

I just suck at coloring wings 8D

I think using Zubat or Aerodactyl or HOWEVER IT IS SPELT would be for the best then, then atleast one of us would know what to do.

I mean the sprite since we're both clueless D:
    Yeah, I'll probably just keep it as is, but I may change it to more like Aerodactyl's later. Also I'll be sure to comment in your thread whenever you get a new sprite up.

Newest version, which is really just my version of the one Yami showed, and I shaved a few pixels off his right wing where it connects to the belly since I had the darkest shade and black right next to each other. Which, obviously looked a little too dark.

I'm looking for some help with this one. Its the same sprite I used for the WSC Zombie edition, but its before I added any of the crappy zombie parts.

The main problem I'm having with it is the legs, They seem WAY too close to the body, almost ignoring that middle skinny abdomen of his. I've tried making it smaller to show the perspective but it looks odd, but I think its what I have to do.

So basically if anyone can show me(which is why I put the line art up, as changing that will be easier), or tell me, how to fix the leg problem while KEEPING THE SAME PERSPECTIVE, I would be very grateful.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast