Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast
Results 226 to 250 of 293

Thread: The Archaeology Zone's Recorded History

  1. #226
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Sobek

    The Caiman Temple

    Treepandaone
    With the pressure piling on in the battle against the prehistoric Pokémon, you nevertheless renew your focus on Rampardos, predicting more of its close combat tactics as you call for Rhyperbeam to up his own ante. Jabbing his arms as energy surrounds them, Rhyperbeam applies his Swords Dance as Feraligatr stands in front of him, pressing its claws to the floor. Without warning a wave of Water Pulse rises from between the cracks in the tiling, cascading over to the stunned pair before crashing onto them, and as the water washes away you find the two fossils lumbering at each other in apparent confusion.

    Cracking a smirk from the side of its jaw, Feraligatr proceeds to take a deep breath before releasing a storm of snow and ice from its mouth, thoroughly coating Cradily and Rampardos in a fierce Blizzard, and as a thick layer of ice starts caking around the ocean barnacle you find yourself smirking as well. However, Rampardos is left otherwise unaffected in status, and bellowing it thunders in a most erratic fashion towards you; its body a blazing mass of blue with its body silhouetted in outlines. Raising its cannon hand as a signal to Feraligatr of command over the situation, Rhyperbeam raises his arms as Rampardos comes crashing in with its Head Smash, grinding against his plated torso with enough force to drag up a series of tiles as Rhyperbeam is pushed backwards. Gritting his teeth determinedly Rhyperbeam brings down his hand, driving a Dynamicpunch right at the base of the dinosaur's head.

    As it crashes to the floor in a rise of smashed tiles, little time is granted to Rampardos before Feraligatr opens its jaws again, familiar energy focused within the teeth while Rhyperbeam smashes his macetail on the Rock-type's back, causing an explosion of water with his Aqua Tail technique just as Feraligatr looses one of its delibitating Hydro Cannon. Bursting with almost the force of a geyser, Rampardos is lost within a storm of liquid and energy, almost throwing you back from the incredible impact, and by the time the wall of water falls back the sight of Rampardos' sprawled limbs indicates its incapability of continuing.

    Just as you get your breath back, a reminiscent screech indicates the presence of the other enemy; as the frozen status begins to wear off, chunks of ice slip and slide off Cradily's body as its tentacles wave in threatening motions. With Feraligatr exhausted from its attack, it looks like you'll have to handle Cradily by yourself...
    An immovable glare shot across the cave as Matthew’s eyes sat on Rampardos’ movements, creating an in dept plan based on the frequent movement of the headed Pokémon and the hindrances of the weakness of the neck. Feeling the pressure on his shoulders to win the battle against the prehistoric foe, Matthew’s focus one again switched to the Rampardos, predicting a close combated assault with its head, calling to Rhyperbeam to anticipate the assault and up the ante. Watching on with a vicious intent, Matthew saw the Rhyperior jab his arms into the air, the extended rock slabs piercing the air as the energy surrounded them, as Matthew saw the Feraligatr in front of him pressing a claw to the ground. Suddenly, Matthew found his gaze focused on a water pulse, the cascading wave coming without warning from the crocodile as the attack rose from between the cracks in the tiling before crashing over the pair as Matthew noted the stunned look on their face as they lumbered around, remind Matthew of himself on a Friday night after a few too many rounds.

    As Matthew chuckled to himself, he saw a slight crack of a smirk from the corner of his eyes, the feraligatr’s jaw opening with a deep breath as Matthew’s view focused on the alligator. As Feraligatr continued, Matthew saw an icy white storm thrown from the Pokémon’s mouth as the ice and snow slew itself, thoroughly coating the two fossils in a fierce blizzard. As he found himself smirking, Matthew saw the ice started to cake around the barnacle Pokémon, noticing the freeze status as Matthew noticed the Rampardos become unaffected. With the Rampardos ready to continue battling, Matthew heard the Tyrannosaurus Rex Pokémon bellow a thunderous roar as it ran towards him, Matthew’s body unmoving as he watched the Pokémon’s body ablaze with a mass of blue silhouettes and outlines. As Matthew watched on with amazement, he noticed Rhyperbeam raise one cannoned hand, a signal to the Feraligatr as it issued its command over the situation, raising its arms in protection as Rampardos came crashing into its rocked body with a smash, sending sparks flying as the plated torso of the Rhydon protected Matthew as Rhydon was pushed backwards. Along with Matthew, Rhyperbeam gritted its teeth as it brought down a hand, driving its Dynamicpunch into the base of the dinosaur’s head.

    Feeling a shudder as the massive fossil crashed to the floor in a rinse of smashed tiles, Matthew saw the time granted allowed him to assess the situation as a thousand thoughts rushed through his head, calculating each move that could be made with haste before the familiar look of Feraligatr’s jaws opening focused Matthew’s attention once more. At the same time, Rhyperbeam crashed his clump of a tail like a mace onto the rock-types back, the explosion of water starting a chain reaction as Matthew saw Feraligatr let loose one of its own water moves, Hydro Cannon, the attack bursting with the force of a geyser as Matthew felt himself being thrown backwards, meeting the force with a few feet, stepping backwards as he lost sight of the fossil sprawled within the storm of liquid energy. As he recovered from the blow, Matthew caught sight of the Rampardos as the water drained away, the sprawled limbs indicating it could no longer battle.

    Getting his breath back in quick bursts of air, Matthew heard a reminiscent screech to his left as his head swiveled on his shoulders, noticing the presence of the Cradily, frozen in a statue. Noticing the frozen status begin to wear off, Matthew saw chunks of ice chip from its body, slipping and sliding as its tentacles regained animated prestige, the threatening motions forcing Matthew to look around. As his attention turned to the Feraligatr, Matthew noticed the alligator exhausted from its attack, making Rhyperbeam the only one left to handle the Cradily.

    “Use a Focus Punch to meet the Cradily before its cracked out of the frozen tomb it’s in, then continue the onslaught with a Iron Tail. Finish with a Rock Slide”.

  2. #227
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Replying to your command with another confident cry, Fungi taps into the powers of his botanic half, releasing a series of Spores from his mouth this time, floating towards the heaving lobsterin a deceptively benign cloud. Incapable of a timely reaction, the Crawdaunt's eyes briefly widen in almost knowing dread, before they droop along with the weary Water-type, easing to the flooring in a series of dull clunks. Having put the enemy out of reacting, Fungi charges ahead for a Dynamicpunch, swinging his fist in a glowing knuckle sandwich that almost seems to cut the air with its overflowing power. Flung and swung into a world between stupor and agony, the Crawdaunt gives another bellow of pain that dwindles softer with each jerk as it somewhat bounces across the marble, headed over the boundary of the central platform, groaning one last time before it splashes unceremoniously into the waters with a flourish of froth.

    It takes a while for your beating hearts to calm down with the rippling water, but once you've ascertained that Crawdaunt is most definitely not resurfacing you make your way to the centre of the chamber, blinking at the very middle of the platform. For some reason, you don't remember there being a spiraling stairway built into the stone, although regardless of its existence the passage downwards does appear to be the only way forward... so to speak.

    Minutes pass by, stretching into a near half hour as you descend the steps shining in shades of sapphire, just about the only light source available to you in the dark spiral, feeling a mite bizarre at the idea of walking in the middle of what could be masses of water and stone. A squeak from Piplup announces, however, the end of your descent for now as you step into another chamber, lit by a faint aquamarine glow that suggests mystic forces clearly at work here. Looking around, you spot a pedestal in the centre of the room, with a pillar of white light emanating above it, suspending a sextet of what appear to be circular seals. Closer inspection lets you see that the tiles are marked with a variety of Water Pokémon: Politoed, Mantine, Kingler, Ludicolo, Cloyster and Wailord, and noticing Fungi and Piplup at the further end you walk over to find a heavy, granite door preventing any deeper access. Seven round indentations arranged in a semicircle glare squarely at you; the second hole from the left already filled with a circular Floatzel seal. All of a sudden words begin to appear on the door, much like the patterns did in the last door:

    "The path to the legend, watched over by the goddess of rainbows, so to shall be revealed by those who honour the blessing of light over the oceans."

    What will you do now?
    I wanted to get this posted before I go, hopefully it won't seem too rushed >>

    With the volley of attacks given, Fungi danced forward with a clear glint of confidence and all the means to finish this fight once and for all. He quickly leaped from his spot, the Mushroom noggin shaking his head frenziedly as a flurry of greenish powder breezed from his cherry appendages. The cloud of Spores quickly downed the red lobster foe, causing it to shudder and tremble before dropping to the bluish cobbles in a comatose state. Score one for Breloom! The shrub pumped his stubby claw in the air, cawing triumphantly with the Crawdaunt at a loss to retaliate. Snoozing away, the fighter jumped about the crustacean’s lulled carcass, Pouncing forward as his fist enveloped in a white spur of light. Kapow! Wes jeered at Breloom’s awesome skills as he sent the crab rearward with the dexterity of a proffesional boxer. The crawdad didn’t manage much of a snooze to say the least, the clenched claw causing a crushing blow about an inch below the star-shaped cap. Wes cringed for a moment, almost certain the fist would shred straight through its armour with the whole host of type and level conditions causing a powerful dent. The enemy baws weakly, causing shivers to jump up and down Wes’ and the fungus’ spine as it scuttled rearward clacking against the marble dizzily as it looked hopeless in the face of such odds. Plop! Wes scrunched his eyes shut tightly, gulping as the eyesore of a crab plunged into the pool ahead with a splash of frothy white spray.

    “You did it buddy!” Wes smiled, “See, nothing to be afraid of – You’re much tougher than you think”. The boy gave the shrub an affectionate pat on the head as he paced the rim of the pool. His pulse was beginning to settle at this point, the three now out of harms way as it seemed the red lobster was out cold at least for the time being. In such an event, Wes knew the fighting mushroom would need to be in tiptop shape, and with no trouble around it seemed an idea to switch out Fungi for Beaker so they could pick up where they left off. The Corphish scuttles behind Wes as they make their way to the hub of the bluish ruin, gawking at a standstill at a centre platform just a stair down away. Clambering down the spiralling staircase with the two water-types in tow, taking his time in the event of a loose step or another predator.

    “Grraapish!” the stout lobster announced weakly. They’d indeed been stretching down the sapphire stairwell for a good thirty minutes – but Wes couldn’t rest yet – he kept swearing they where a minute away. With an eager eye for archaeology, it would seem a quick rest was the last thing on the teen’s agenda. To their luck that wasn’t the case, a faint light glowing on the final steps as they reached yet another chamber. Wes scanned the room, a mystical vibe pulsing through its walls with its heritage far proceeding itself. There was a stand in the room’s heart, topped off with a white pillar glowing brilliantly and patterned with several illustrations. Wes’ eyes lit with curiosity, his legs springing forward far beyond his control as he fingered about the pictures.

    “Politoed, Mantine, Kingler, Ludicolo, Cloyster and Wailord”, the boy knew his water types, but he wondered whether they held the key to another bolted doorway. If the first puzzle wasn’t hard enough, the boy knew he would be way out of his league this time – switching his attention to a semi-circle of indents fitting the size of the tablets. Wes assumed an ancient jigsaw, but nothing could be assumed just yet. He squinted blankly at the hollows, one of them filled by an otter which looked like a Floatzel second from the left. Suddenly! inscriptions faded slowly onto the door’s centre, the boy wondering how it was possible but being quick to read.

    The path to the legend, watched over by the goddess of rainbows, so to shall be revealed by those who honour the blessing of light over the oceans

    “It’s a jigsaw Bea, that much is true”, Wes whispered, carefully inspecting the pieces to the puzzle, “They’ll need placing in a particular order, once we crack that then something should happen...”

    “Goddess of Rainbows?” he whispered.

    “I have a feeling I know what we’ve gotta do – none of those eight share the same colour!”

    “Do you know the colours of the rainbow?”

    Beaker shrugged. Wes slapping his face that he didn’t know something so simple. He dropped the canvas bag onto the sapphire floor, rustling through the various objects looking for anything rainbow-coloured. Seconds past as he unloaded his bag – until he found... a gyroscope! Where did he get a gyroscope!? Either way, it fit the bill, its cylinder casing coated with red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo and violet! Leaving no time to dawdle he carefully wedged loose the Kingler, Ludicolo, Politoed and transferred them into the first, third and fourth slots on the top row, slotting Wailord, Mantine and Cloyster in the bottom three slots. Whilst it looked colourful, Wes couldn’t be too sure he hadn’t messed up their shot of advancing.

  3. #228
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    Atlas City

    Emporium Hotel

    Stark
    The deployment of Luxray and Floatzel having ended them in exhaustion and defeat, you recall both of them with hormones and emotion racing through your system like a virus. As determination and indignance like never before rages in you, you fling out a PokéBall from which an instant haze of warmth pours forth as its contents are revealed. With your trusted starter at your side, Typhlosion notes your remarks with resolute grunts before joining your glaring contest at Gengar. For some reason Gengar looks a lot more agitated at Typhlosion's presence, and looking around the answer suddenly dawns on you: with the flames on Typhlosion's back, the mystical thirteenth floor has instantly become less dark, and while none of the opposing Ghosts have shown symptoms of discomfort, there is certainly a significant lack of shadows from which Gengar can ply its spectral powers.

    A roar issues from Typhlosion's throat, as he surrounds himself in one of the heat shimmers that his species is known for, locking himself within a Fire Shield as Gengar screeches in apparent frustration. Lunging forward as a stormy, dark aura surrounds it, Gengar half turns into a black, blazing comet headed straight for Typhlosion's shield, but the instant contact is made with the burning barrier Gengar's energy accumulation pops like a bubble, turning its yells of anger into agony as the heat burns through the Sucker Punch tactic it was attempting to use. As Typhlosion wavers back into view, the burning wolverine's mouth explodes with a ferocious Flamethrower, instantly bathing the Shadow Pokémon in a fiery torrent. Above all the chaos of battle around you Gengar's shriek seems to resound the loudest of all, and when the fire clears you notice part of its ectoplasmic form scorched blacker than normal, having an appearance highly resembling that of flaking ashes.

    "Grr... rrrrgh..." Getting to its feet, Gengar's eyes sparkle with unrelenting malice while it floats, negative energy concentrating this time in its claws while Typhlosion gladly reciprocates the gesture. With a banshee's battle cry Gengar fires its Dark Pulse forward, at which Typhlosion releases the lustrous power collecting in its palms, meeting the wave of darkness with his Flash Cannon. Fragmented wisps of energy, neutralised by the elemental clash, fly off the point of collision like sparks against a blacksmith's anvil, but much to Gengar's horror Typhlosion ends up pushing through as the shadows become absorbed by the brilliance, leaving the attack to slam into the spectre in a glittering explosion of light. Looking all around you, you notice that the constant plaguing of the Haunter has clearly started to show its results: with the pressure of the local children and the radiant blast Typhlosion managed, fraying ropes of shadow have made themselves apparent from the Haunter's fingers, exposed by the badgered Pokémon's crumbling attempts to keep everything together.

    "So you think this is it, eh?" A hiss makes its way into your ears, and you instantly tell that Gengar, while no longer appearing to possess its sense of dangerous wisecracks, is at its most deadly. "You think we're going to let you walk away from this unscathed? We will ensure that you fall here, live the despair and loss that we have, until the darkness consumes you..."

    The sound of music suddenly wafts about you, and out of sudden instinct you clutch at your chest through your clothes; overwhelmed by an inexplicable wave of sadness and fading hope. Around you, the groans and whimpers of people and Pokémon alike are heard, and with a jolt you recognise what's going on: the effects of Perish Song beginning to work...

    What will you do now?
    Stark felt tears forming in the corners of his eyes. Suddenly he began to see how hopeless the situation really was. How could he have expected to come into the lair of the beast with mere children backing him up? Silently he cursed himself for being so foolish. He had doomed them all.

    His eyes caught sight of trainers and pokémon alike all falling to their knees in despair. His own legs shaking so much that he could barely keep himself standing. Gengar had proven to be far too powerful for him to hope to defeat. He had always known that his determination would be his downfall. He had just hoped it would be later rather than sooner. There was no going out a hero. No brave sacrifice. He would only disappear into the annals of time leaving no lasting mark on this world other than the fact that because of him a number of orphans perished. No one would remember him. He would die alone.

    Stark dropped to his hands and knees, the tears in his eyes now streaming like a fountain recently awakened. His hands balled into fists. His throat swelled making it more and more difficult to breath. Was this what Gengar truly felt? Was this the reason it had become such a monster? The despair, the hopelessness, the abandonment? Was this Stark's destiny? To become yet another soulless abomination preying on those who had what he didn't? To let go of everything he held dear in the world and look upon it with bitterness?

    "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!" Stark screamed at the top of his lungs, "I will not be like you! I cannot be like you! I've made mistakes. I've had bad things happen to me in my life. But I refuse to give up and accept life as it is. I will not take that downward spiral into malice, spite, hate. I have free will. I can choose my own future. I will not succumb to outside forces no matter how strong making my choice for me. “

    The trainer slowly and unsteadily made his way back to his feet, wobbling side to side a little as he fought off the urge to lie down, ”Typhlosion! I need you buddy. Don’t let your feelings get to you. You’ve got to fight through them. We are here to make a difference. We are here to prove that there is more in this world than the cold dark despair Gengar has come to find. We can’t give up. Not yet. Not ever! we have to show it that together with those you care about, you can overcome any obstacle no matter how great upon first appearance. We have to prove to it that no amount of sorrow is too great to be overcome when you have someone there beside you supporting you.”

    Stark stared at Gengar for a moment, “You’re wrong Gengar. We will not give into the darkness like you did. You may have had trrgedy befall you in the past, but that’s no excuse for what you’ve done here. That’s no excuse not to try to make your time on this world worth every precious moment. Sure you know despair. You know sadness. You know loss. Get over it. We all have it in our lives. Granted some worse than others.” Stark gazed over at a couple of the orphans lying on the ground, “You’ve taken those we love from us all for some sick twisted form of revenge on whoever you lost. Does it really make you feel better inside. Does it fill that hole that threatens to consume you? You could have left here any time you wanted. Instead you recruited others to your cause whether by force or otherwise is debatable, but you’ve done it. You are no better than whoever set you off in the first place and I am not going to let you get away with it any longer.

    ”Typhlosion time to go all out,” Stark called out to his partner. Despite his words and feelings, the Perish Song would only tend to affect them more the longer they were exposed to it. He had to end it as soon as possible., “They don’t like the light Typhlosion, so increase the flames on you back and use them surround yourself so you can attack with a Flame Wheel. Then gather up your energy and attack with a Blast Burn!”

  4. #229
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In Imaginary Sin and Bliss
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Left mulling the given information over, Knoll's face curves into a thoughtful expression while you await his two cents on the matter; your assorted teammates clamouring about the two of you in similar anticipation.

    "Considering the scenario, I don't think the other two -- Cubone and Shuppet, I mean -- could have gone far. From what you've told me, Stacey, they seem like child Pokémon; not quite capable of fending for themselves and less willing to venture out of familiar territory. It's highly likely that the visions you experienced were courtesy of Xatu in an attempt to help us," Knoll offers. "I can't say I've seen a room full of portraits, although I think we might be able to find something downstairs. Most of the rooms there seemed to be filled with junk."

    Whining, protesting synapses going up your aching limbs aside, you feel hopeful in that exploring the basement with Knoll this time you might be able to yield something. As the day's light vanishes overhead you spot Wilfrid suddenly begin glowing with the familiar flames of Will-o-wisp; clearly part of the balloon's impressive repertoire of moves as the underground network is lit up for your viewing. As the blue radiance bounces off the arched hallways you feel a distinct sense of mental asphyxiation, as though you were part of the grime and dirt and darkness, left to be forgotten by the surface world above.

    "Not very pleasant, I know," sighs Knoll, as Eve whimpers lightly at the unfamiliar environment. "But perhaps, now that all of us are here, we'll be able to conduct a more thorough search."

    Moving in small groups but not too far away from one another, you walk along with Missy, Anna, Eve and Lucius, amongst the abandoned walls while peering into the various alcoves; each littered with what appear to be broken pottery, simple furniture with structures on the vague verge of collapse, robes where dust has tarnished any original colour they might have still retained. If this was a place of learning, were these the living quarters for the scholars? Did they live in such darkness -- and did they, likewise, perish here? Buried beneath the ground, the place half feels like a tomb, and as this thought crosses your mind you take a gulp that almost echoes against the walls, when a hissing from Lucius catches your attention. Hurrying to another room, a familiar scene of utter untidiness greets you as you gaze into a room, piled with faded cloth, ceramic, fragments of unknown miscellanea, and flittering about the pile is the little Ghost-type you know you've been searching for.

    Your presence, as before, doesn't go unnoticed, and as it turns around you see Shuppet's eyes filled with apprehension. Extending a hand forward, Lucius steps ahead, speaking in calm but firm tones, at which Shuppet gives a frightened squeal before turning around shivering. For a while, nothing seems to happen until you feel something tapping at your shoulder, but when you turn around nothing seems to be behind you... until a pair of blue and yellow eyes flicker out of nowhere. Jumping a little, you watch as the Shadow Sneaks past you, beaning Lucius on the back of his head, drawing the Banette back as he growls at the interference.

    "PPPPPPPBBBHT!" Blowing a long, loud raspberry at all of you, Shuppet emits another flurry of giggles as it reveals the piece of tablet from under its shroud-like body, and in an instant your view is treated to the sight of five identical Shuppet waving five identical slates: clear evidence of Double Team in motion. Still cackling the images vanish one by one into the surrounding walls and piles, leaving the last one to pull a rude face before it, too, disappears...

    What will you do now?
    Having spoken her short tale Stacey watched the expression on Knoll's face change as he pondered the new information. She was resting her hopes on his superior knowledge of the area, hoping that he would have a better idea of where to search for these two locations. His assumptions that Cubone and Shuppet being close were similar to her own and she guessed that he was leaning towards a continued search of the building. She was thankful to Xatu for providing her with information and could sense she was trying to help but a little instruction to go with the pictures would have been nice.

    "I can't say I've seen a room full of portraits, although I think we might be able to find something downstairs. Most of the rooms there seemed to be filled with junk." Knoll added and Stacey nodded ready to head on downstairs to search further if a little tired of it all. Walking downstairs ignoring her muscles protests, begging her stop and rest, she noticed that the darkness of night was beginning to creep in. Eve cuddled close to her chest feeling safer in her arms whilst Lucius and Missy were very much suited to such conditions. Anna let loose a few sparks to light her immediate path but as Wilfred assisted and churned up several eerie purple flames she growled her ears drooping as she continued to feel useless in this whole endeavor ... not that she cared even.

    The walls felt so close and the air was thick with dust, the environment here was dim and clostrophobic, Eve was not enjoying the new enclosure and Knoll tried to ease their concerns sensing their discomfort. Splitting up but remaining close enough should they need any assistance Stacey and her Pokemon began their search noting in the dim broken pottery and furniture worn to disrepair. It looked almost like living quarters, perhaps those that studied here lived here as well? In the darkness one's mind begins to play tricks on you and she began to imagine the corpses of the scholars here lying under the stone floor, rotting and filled the ground with their very beings. Shuddering at the thought Stacey suddenly heard Lucius hiss and quickly made after his position.

    Finding him in a small room filled with worn cloth and more broken ceramics and pottery and the littel bugger she was looking for. It didn't take him long to notice her either as he spun around gazing at her with apprehension. Wondering if she could convince Shuppet like she had done with Xatu she was glad that Lucius stepped in for her speaking calmly but in manner that said he better give up now. Shuppet didn't seem too thrilled by whatever Lucius had said to him and spun around in fear no longer meeting his faded red eyes. Suddenly Stacey felt something or someone behind her and turning slowly she saw ... nothing. Dammit that was an old one and as she prepared to turn back around she saw a pair of blue and yellow eyes flicker before her making her jump slightly gasping. Shuppet grinned at her fazing past her with a Shadow Sneak smacking Lucius upside the head before blowing a raspberry at the pair of them. Lucius growled curling his fists tight eager to bring on the hurt but before he could act Shuppet became many Shuppet all of them cackling at their ingenius jokes and began to disappear into the walls leaving one to give a parting wink before he too disappeared.

    She was tired, her body ached from repeated trips up and downstairs and she was being give the run around by a Ghost of all things. Supressing a groan sheran her fingers through her hair as she imagined what she would say to the annoying Shuppet next time she saw him. He may only be a child but he was grating on her last knackered nerve.

    "I've had enough of this," she said her voice an octave below yelling as all her Pokemon looked at her.

    "I don't care what he's protecting, that Shuppet has messed us around long enough," Pulling a Premier Ball from her hidden belt she released its occupant the dark gremlin's entrance lighting up the room briefly. Impish looked around before spotting his trainer. He gave a happy yell and leapt up glomping her on the chest.

    "Nice to see you too Impy," Stacey said sincerly though her voice was laced with exhaustion. "I know I bring you out too often to help me but I do need you assistance." Impish nodded from his place tightly glued to her midsection and she blushed before prying his pervy self off her.

    "R-right, there's a Shuppet hiding around here, its got a tablet I've been searching for with important information on it," Impish rolled his eyes not quite interested by the adventure already, "Pay attention, it may end up being more interesting than you think. Please use your Foresight to illuminate its hiding place. Missy can you give it a Mean Look once we've found it, that should stop it running off again and Lucius, give it another talk, this time make sure it gives up the tablet, add a little Trick of your own if it resists."


    ~Stace and Imp. A Perfect Pair~
    FB : PC : DT

  5. #230
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    While you're certain the answer must fit the hint that was given to you, apprehension nevertheless flits into your mind: what if the answer that you've chosen is incorrect, what might happen then? As you lift your fingers from the Cloyster seal, you take a step back to gaze at your handiwork when the seven seals light up with their respective colours. With no preparation as to what might happen next, the hair on the back of your head stands on end as the floor suddenly seems to give way like quicksand under your feet, and as you are lost in a sinking wave of irradiation you desperately clutch at the air around you to no avail. Piplup and Beaker likewise flail their limbs, but if the collapsing floor's watery appearance is anything to go by, it appears that even Beaker's Surf cannot manipulate the liquid.

    Filled with the sensation of falling, yet without the feeling of wind against your face, you start pondering if this isn't another of the pyramid's mystic features. Before you spend too much time wondering, though, your feet are gently nudged by something hard, and feeling gravity kick in you briefly stumble before standing up; upon another marble slab you now stand, with Piplup and Corphish looking about. Joining in their observation you note that this time, you're in a much larger chamber than before: a variety of other similar slabs lie on the surface of what seems to be more water... or is it? For water, you realise, this pool is particularly shimmery to the point of being opaque. As though sensing your query, a single pillar rises from the polished stone, bearing more glyphs which you quickly read:

    "The path to what you seek shalt be fulfilled when mind, body and soul are rejoined. The blessing of the Goddess upon you; with three steps traverse the trials and seek out the keys. Fall, and be lost with the fallen."

    Looking down at Piplup, who's suddenly started shaking like a leaf, you can't help but gulp: was this where Piplup transformed from Trainer to Pokémon? You hear a startled squawk from Beaker, and looking in her direction you find that she's taken a step onto the water -- literally onto its surface, ripples emanating from her feet as she is suspended above the liquid. Hurriedly she scuttles back onto the stone next to your legs, but the puzzle ahead of you has come clear. It seems that you'll need to tread carefully...

    Rules
    - Following the image, map out your path to the first key of your choosing.
    - Each time you step on the water, you have to find a path to another platform by crossing no more than three adjacent squares of water, and continue from there.
    - Black is where you start from; purple is where you must end; dark blue tiles are where you must step onto to be allowed three more steps on the water; grey tiles are normal stone tiles with no other effect at all.


    Atlas City

    Emporium Hotel

    Stark
    Against the haunting requiem slowly poisoning your spirit and body, you cry out what you hope to be final commands in the offensive against the vengeful Shadow, before things pass the point of no return. With an equally determined roar Typhlosion accedes to your orders; the crest of fire lining his shoulders exploding in another wave of heat and radiance. Glaring the foe down with renewed ferocity, the Volcano Pokémon dives ahead in a spinning motion, extending his flames to raze across his superheated fur as he thunders at Gengar like a giant, blazing bowling ball. Releasing another screech Gengar fires a storm of Psywave rings from its eyes, but its general state is distinct by the magnitude of its attack; with its originator weakened and injured, the mental barrage wavers in its trajectory before colliding with Typhlosion's Flame Wheel and smashing into smithereens. Like a shooting star Typhlosion crushes his way into Gengar, burning brighter than ever as the flames seem to consume Gengar's force themselves, and you find yourself almost shielding yourself from the intense light and heat pouring forth.

    With pieces of its body like cloth swatches fraying from its form, Gengar at this point barely appears capable of coherent speech or attack capability, but no sympathy is experienced for the pitiful phantom that you know has caused more than enough grief and frustration, to people you've come to know and people you've never known. A towering inferno suddenly rises from where Typhlosion stands, spiralling into a twister as it heightens, and as you find yourself squinting you see Typhlosion grip Gengar in its blazing claws. Force akin to an atomic explosion suddenly thumps you in the chest, knocking you flying as your vision is rendered a crimson collage from Typhlosion's Blast Burn, surrounded by a searing wave of heat that almost threatens to bake your brain; above all this, your last memory is what sounds like a final, unrelenting scream...

    ***

    "Stark?... Stark!... Wake up, Stark!..."

    To the sounds of familiar voices, in addition to fresh ones, hovering over your head in a haze, you execute notable effort in opening your eyes. As you find your senses returning, you note that the sibling duo has gathered around you, in addition to some of the kids, as well as two men whom your realise to be the scientist and ruin maniac from earlier. Pushing yourself from your apparent lying position, you make an attempt to speak, but as Carolina's hand grips your own you meet her eyes in an understanding, but firm glance, that seems to indicate for your temporary silence.

    "Ah, you've finally awoken, young man. Most excellent; we were starting to get most fretful that you wouldn't rouse," coughs the venerable senior, once he's cleared his throat. "I'm certain you've many a question to ask -- indeed, I daresay a number of us likewise have professed similar queries, having been in a not quite conscious state -- but most importantly, we've all made a full recovery, it seems. The same goes for the Pokémon, from what Nurse Joy has elatedly reported."

    "Everything's in bits and pieces. When we awoke, we were strewn in the lift lobby of Emporium Hotel's lift lobby and its surrounding corridors. On the 13th floor," explains Lawrence. "The authorities were quickly alerted, and those who had regained consciousness helped escort you and the others to the Pokémon Centre. Everyone's only had minor cuts and bruises, although you were asleep for quite a while. It seems that the hotel staff have been in a daze themselves; the officers noted that during questioning, they could remember few events clearly since a year ago..."

    "Of course, considering what we were dealing with, it's likely that the Ghost Pokémon utilised Hypnosis and other powers of illusion to carry out their covert operation. The entire floor must have been converted into a realm of darkness, created by Gengar's ability to manipulate shadow; when you attacked with your Pokémon, it helped to weaken their powers and the hold they had on us by reducing the shadows, and by defeating the main Pokémon holding them together it broke the enchantment on the area," offers the scientist. "What I can't fathom is why this happened in the first place..."

    "Hmmmm. I'm sure most of us are aware, but the fact does remain that Atlas used to be but a mere indigenous settlement," suggests the archaeologist. "When the region began undergoing development, it most certainly had some drastic effect on the original ecosystem... in so doing, the lives of the local Pokémon would have been affected in some way."

    "So... the Ghost Pokémon were trying to take back the land?"

    "By any means necessary, it would seem. It's but a hypothesis, although I admit to not being able to think of a better suggestion, given the pieces of the puzzle," the explorer nods. A thin air of silence takes you as you recall Gengar's embittered speech; was this what the master of shadow had meant?

    "In any case. Now that most of the loose ends have been tied up, there are a few things we need to cover separately," the scientist notes as he claps his hands together. "While the police aids the other possesses in relocating their origins, we must continue our local projects... Mr. Lawrence, would you and your sister mind coming with us for a moment? We have a rather pressing matter which we need to discuss with you..."

    ***

    A restful afternoon passes, dotted with occasions where the orphaned children and Pokémon came by your bed in gaggles to offer their well wishes, and in spite of your bed rest the surreal nature of the experience has you still somewhat dazed; a fraction of your mind still can't quite grapple with how things turned so bizarre and dangerous, while another portion vaguely recalls the last interjection from Gengar in that crucial battle. How much time had passed -- little more than 36 hours, perhaps? Looking to your side you proudly note the PokéBalls lining your belt, with a gentle warmth of reassurance as you note Houndour's occupied orb. You remember what Nurse Joy had said as she returned your recovered team: for what Houndour had gone through, it seems that she had gone up a level, according to the healing mechanisms. Rising from your seat in the reception area, you wonder where Lawrence and the orphans have gone; in the last two hours since the last few of the children came to visit, you don't recall seeing them. Noting the sight of the setting sun, you feel that in any event, your exploration in Atlas City has come to its apparent resolution; albeit, a wistful mental glance of the cheery, bubbly Carolina and her adoptive family leaves you briefly wishing you had more time to enjoy their company, to see them grow as a close-knit group.

    Taking a step out of the Pokémon Centre, you take in the bustling sights of Atlas' kinder side, but this time you have a strange, knowing impression that something has lifted from the city like a fog. Perhaps it was the experience of seeing how everyone banded together, or maybe it was the exorcism of Gengar's plague upon the community, but you feel a general sense of uplifting; a glimmer of optimism and promise...

    "Stark! Wait up!" With your head turning at almost cracking reflexes, you see a familiar person running towards you. Panting briefly as she catches her breath, Carolina hurriedly tosses her beautiful ponytail behind before looking you in the eye.

    "I was afraid you might have left, but I needed to talk to you. During the time we met with Professor Herton and his assistant Alvin, he expressed concern that people were still living in the slums -- he wouldn't accept that while the world of Atlas carried out research and development, the children were still living in such squalid conditions... so, he's invited Lawrence and me to start a new initiative, to bring people out of the slums and redevelop them!" Carolina beams, and you can tell from the sparkle in her eyes this must be the happiest she's ever been. "Lawrence and I are going to aid him closely in administration, and for starters, we're going to provide the children with adequate food, shelter, clothing, education..." As Carolina begins to sniffle a little, you remember the dilapidated shophouse that was home for her, Lawrence, as well as the group of children... as far as you know, this can't have happened to a kinder individual.

    "So I came to let you know, we're going to be alright. Lawrence said that he needed to get a lot of work done, helping the kids and everything as fast as possible, so he couldn't come... but he did tell me to give you these." Catching your hand in her soft fingers, Carolina places a sphere and a slip of paper in your palm. "It's a Ghost Ball. For some reason, we found this lying next to you when you came to; we took it in case it meant anything, but we decided that once you woke up we would give it to you, and things happened so fast... And this is a Spell Tag, I think. It came inside the Ghost Ball; Alvin mentioned it might have been used to help focus the power of the Ghost Pokémon..."

    Gripping the items, you find yourself meeting Carolina's deep gaze again, half losing yourself in those eyes of hers. Compared to your first impression of her -- a bit of a teasing flirt, a beautiful nymph -- without the Gastly inside her, this must be Carolina's true personality; a caring, loving young woman with a little tendency to get flustered.

    "And... y'know, now that I'm going to be working full-time with Professor Herton, I don't think I'll be going back to my job as a tour guide... It's a shame I couldn't take you on the dream tour you wanted, mm?" she murmurs, partly stammering as she fiddles with her fingers; indeed, you remember that she did mention having memories of what happened even when she was being controlled. "Stark, you... Lawrence told me how you risked everything for us. Even when things seemed their bleakest, if it wasn't for you, I... we..." Another sparkle glints across her eyes; is it you, or has she closed the distance between your faces without you noticing?

    "..."

    Before you realise it, a pair of arms have thrown themselves around your shoulders as Carolina leans forward, gracing your lips with her own as she kisses you; softly sincere and emotional unlike the light, teasing peck she had given you. Feeling her part away, you have an idea that time must have stopped for the few seconds of Carolina's gesture, and while you feel your face burn along with her distinct blush, her look of immense gratitude and regret at having to see you go put any other awkwardities to rest.

    "We'll never forget what you've done for us, Stark."

    Left with a final whisper, somehow sounding above the noisy ambience of the city, you watch Carolina's fleeting figure as she disappears back into her world; a world now warmer and happier thanks to your interventions. Reflexively brushing your face with a stray finger, a sense of reassurance echoes in you -- you've had a memorable adventure, come out stronger from it, and now you've new memories of people you've come to know, and love...

    Note: With the closing of Stark's adventure in Atlas City, you are now free to leave the Lost Cities of Talas. Hopefully, you've walked away from this adventure with enjoyment in its continuation, and above all, it's been a pleasure updating for you and your team.
    *end transmission*



    The Lost City of Sobek

    The Caiman Temple

    Treepandaone
    A tentacle rips free of the freezing ice, followed by another, and soon joined by the remaining six as Cradily's barnacle head wrenches forth from the status condition, but Rhyperbeam is waiting and ready. Lumbering forward with his Focus Punch ablaze, the armoured Drill Pokémon smashes through the remaining ice as he punches into Cradily's underside; a resounding shattering noise rips forth, joined by a bansheesque scream from Cradily as Rhyperbeam's attack leaves a severe dent in its base structure. With its lower body damaged and in significant pain, you watch as Cradily totters in imbalance from shifting its feet and trying to keep its head up at the same time, but Rhyperbeam isn't letting up his assault any time soon. Turning around with another Iron Tail, Rhyperbeam uppercuts Cradily by its lower jaw, wrenching its gigantic head backwards; this time choking any interjection from the fossil plant as its head takes a heavy hit.

    Completing its revolution, Rhyperbeam tries raising his arms for his next attack, but even as he does so he falls onto bended knee, and with a sick jolt you realise why. Without a break in his consistent exertions of combinations, Rhyperbeam's energy has been pushed to more than considerable limits, and this is not unnoticed by Cradily as a flicker of glee returns to its eyes. Raising its multiple limbs Cradily starts focusing sinister green energy into its tendrils, but before the worst can happen a shining blast of water jets above you, thundering into Cradily's face and pushing it to the ground as the torrent pins the plant thoroughly. Watching in amazement, you see a claw form out of the water, reassembling into Farity's Feraligatr as Cradily struggles under its grip, but the alternate use of Hydro Pump in Feraligatr's unique circumstances has done its job excellently. As Rhyperbeam takes a few steps backwards, you spot Feraligatr surrounded by a teal-coloured wave while Cradily screeches indignantly yet feebly beneath, but what resistance Cradily has left is promptly silence as Feraligatr launches its Dragon Pulse, resounding through its hapless target below. A final agonised yell rings above all as Cradily's tentacles quaver in mid-air, before falling limply to the floor one by one. Level-up for Rhyperbeam.

    "Grrrraghhh!" A sudden roar from Caiman, forgotten by you in your defence against the fossils, directs your attention upwards where the Pharaoh and Farity have taken the fight, exchanging elemental crossfires as they veer and swerve like aeroplanes in a dogfight. The defeat of his minions -- as you glance around, you find that likewise, the others have subdued the prehistoric beasts on their own -- has not gone unseen, but with Farity keeping up the pressure there is little the mummified villain can do.

    "Give it up, Caiman!" calls Farity, as another pair of energy blasts fly from her hands, meeting their counterparts in mid-air. "Your army has been defeated. You cannot defeat me with your own power; we are evenly matched like this!"

    "Fool! More minions can be summoned in a matter of time; when my power restores itself!" snarls Caiman in response. "Even if you fail to tire, your allies will fall to their limits, whereas I control countless puppets of the undead! My power is limitless compared to yours!"

    "That may be. My human allies, as well as their Pokémon, might not be free of their limits as you are," Farity muses, "Although, I cannot agree that all my allies will fall so easily, and neither are you necessarily limitless."

    "What?! You --"

    "Rock Tomb!"

    To everyone's unified surprise, Feraligatr stomps its foot on the ground, and as the tiles in the chamber's centre give way those in the vicinity take hurried steps backwards as an open stone solid rises from the floor.

    "Is that --" "It's a stone sarcophagus!"

    "What?!" Glaring at his opponent, the Pharaoh's bandaged mouth bristles in both indignation and anger, "Farity! You wouldn't!"

    "If that is the only way to stop you, and it is, I won't hesitate. You know as well as I do that a majority of our powers, though evenly matched, have been used up," states the female avatar as she glows; a hexagonal symbol forming around her. "You no longer have the ability to resist my sealing spell!"

    "You -- can't be serious!" hisses Caiman, "You're going to sacrifice yourself just to seal me away?! You would leave Sobek unprotected?!"

    "There will always be those willing to step up to the challenge, should the need to defend Sobek, nay, Talas, ever arise." At this point, Farity has become completely silhouetted by her aura, with her voice as the only indication that she is still speaking. "It is as I have said, Caiman... it's not something you will ever understand. Now, I sentence thee to be forever imprisoned by stone!"

    "No! NO! You...!"

    "My friend, lend me your powers once more, for the salvation of the innocent." Nodding at its mistress' request, Feraligatr rises literally to the occasion, transforming into a spiralling wave of water as Farity becomes obscured by the thin, long hexagon, all the while shining with ever-increasing intensity. Altogether, as though sensing something, the Pokémon fall to the ground as they cover their eyes, and to the shouts of Tina and Peter the scientists and you do so as well. A faint requiem seems to fill the room, drowning out the shouts of the cursed Pharaoh as the brilliance filters past your fingers, and it isn't until when all is finally dark and silent that you open your eyes and stand up.

    "My word..." One of the first to rise, Peter stumbles towards the gleaming coffin in the middle of the room; now with an addition of a lid, bearing Farity's six-sided sigil as a line of gentle light surrounds the tomb where the coffin has been closed. "Has she..."

    "My friends. I thank you for your assistance in subduing the threat that Caiman posed upon Sobek," whispers Farity's voice. "With the last of my power I will send you back, such that you will not need to brave the Temple's dangers. Thank you once more, and farewell..."

    With those words lingering at the edge of your ears, you feel a sudden sense of uplifting surround you, but in the blink of an eye you find yourself standing on dirt and sand, with sunlight bathing the land around you. Murmurs rise again from the scientists as they realise their location, but abruptly Tina's frantic screaming is heard.

    "Glenn! Where's Glenn?!" she cries, tears stinging her eyes as everyone realises that one member of the team is still unaccounted for. A brief search ensues until Rex's alerted shout brings the others' attention to a familiar figure is spotted some distance away, lying sprawled on the sand softly groaning. "Glenn!" All restraint abandoned, Tina dives at the sight of her colleague and friend, grabbing him in one arm as she lifts his head up with her other, such that Glenn's half-closed eyes meet her shining ones. "...Tina?"

    "You're... okay..." Unable to maintain her composure, Tina rests her head on Glenn's shoulder as she sobs, awash with relief and gratitude. As the other scientists surround the pair, they offer various expressions of similar assurance, joy and consolation.

    "Well, all things considered, I think we're all in good state and spirit," smiles Tim, supporting Lorraine as she weakly rests against him. "We should be moving back as soon as possible; the laboratory, if anything, needs our attention now."

    ***

    "So... what was it like, Glenn, being possessed like that?" Half a day had come and gone as you and the scientists rested up for the return journey, and now you find yourself riding Impact once more with another person amongst your ranks, whose presence has been the subject of much talk on the way.

    "I... most of the experience was a blank, really. It's like I had gone to sleep for a long, long time," frowns Glenn, as he mulls over Peter's query. "But for brief moments of consciousness, I felt... really awful. I think a part of me knew what was going on, even though my senses were shut -- oh, no. Did... I do that?"

    As Impact conquers the final vestiges of distance, you realise what has caught everyone's present attention. Grimacing at the familiar sight, Peter and Mynah are first to disembark, having been the first to witness Caiman's full wrath alone. Where structures could not have been abandoned, pitiful shells and shadows of their former appearances lie amongst the debris, completely unidentifiable aside from their location, and ahead the laboratory is but a burnt husk of a building.

    "Just like I remembered. The chain reaction of released energy must have blown up the laboratory something horrible," sighs Mynah, as the others join her side and Peter's. "I don't think there's anything we can salvage from there."

    "Matthew, I'm... I'm sorry." Remorsefully, Tina looks at you, "You've done so much for us, and... it's not right for us to hold you back any longer. We've got a lot of work ahead of us, and we can't involve you in our affairs, but... to send you away without..."

    "Maybe not," states another female voice, and you're all stunned to see Lorraine push through the others, walking straight past the gap that was the laboratory's door. Exchanging looks of confusion, you and the group follow the blonde scientist inside, cringing a little at the assortment of damaged, combusted machinery and other devices in various styles and stages of destruction. "I think there's still something we can give Matthew."

    "Something we can give? But... what? Everything's in horrible disrepair, and what could we give a Trainer to use?"

    "Not... everything, per se," admits Lorraine. "For our outposts, we don't carry data backups; those are kept to headquarters so that in the event of such disaster, we don't risk a complete loss of data if the backups are likewise destroyed. As a result, the standard issue parts for the main networks in each outpost is built to withstand heavy damage, such that the necessity for reporting backup requirements is reduced." Walking to a gigantic processor, fitted with what must have been a multitude of screens, Lorraine pulls out her own PokéDexesque device and inserts an extension cable into one of many ports along the side, scanning the remains of the data inside. "As I expected. There's still some data we can use for our friend here. If we pull together enough information from the undamaged data, and link it to a cobbled transfer device, we should be able to at least create a resurrectable fossil."

    "But... Lorraine," Stepping forward, Tina places a hand on her colleague's shoulder, "Isn't that your research data? Once the data has been transferred and converted... the system won't retain the information anymore!"

    "It's alright. I think I owe you all the most for having to put up with me," Lorraine says quietly, "You saved my life as well as Glenn's. This is the least I can do for all I put everyone through... Tina, no, Leader. Can you ever forgive me?"

    "You don't need to ask me, Lorraine." Taking Lorraine by the hand not holding the device, Tina smiles warmly at her friend, in spite of her looking down in shame. "You're a part of this team, too. We might lose our tempers at each other every now and then, but... I've never doubted you, your abilities, or your place. You're a much valued member of our little family."

    Wiping away a tear, Lorraine joins with Tina in a short, friendly hug, before she beckons towards you as she presents you with her PokéDex. "Go on, Matthew. It's up to you to pick one," she says kindly, and as you look at the selection screen you find that two choices are shown: 345 and 408, respectively...


    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    After a quick briefing, interjected with a few statements from Missy and Lucius, your trusty Sableye now also has a suitable grip of the situation. With his irises gleaming in familiar mischief, light pours forth from his gemstone eyes like a pair of searchlights, slowly filling the room and extending to the outside as Impish applies his Foresight in the matter. After a moment of pondering Impish starts dashing away, prompting all of you to follow him. Passing by Knoll you alert him with a brief hand sign as Impish darts into another doorway, and rounding the corner Missy quickly shoots her Mean Look into the walls of the room. Sure enough, the guilty Shuppet is seen in a far corner of the empty room, with a little pout to its expression as it finds that it can no longer phase through the stone.

    Stepping forward once again Lucius stares down his unevolved form, repeating his request but this time, you know he's in a far more serious and dangerous mood. Displeased as it is that its little game is up, the sight of your nearly full team is a clear message to Shuppet that resistance is foolish as well as futile, and as it floats towards Lucius it gives a reluctant huff, relinquishing the tablet piece into Lucius' outstretched claw. Turning back to you with his zipper back in a grin, Lucius raises the stone piece to your hand, and turning to let Knoll join in you read the lines on this fragment:

    "nue any further. I cannot access the memories pertaining to how I escaped; even so much as a hint puts me into uncontrollable shivering. All I can write is the descriptions of the key which I had seen, and hope that one day, someone might be able to continue my attempt in solving the mysteries behind Arctosia, with the Pokémon needed to seek an audience."

    "Hmmmm... If I had to wager a guess, this tablet must be speaking of a Pokémon combination, needed in Arctosia's Temple to enter... the deepest chamber, perhaps?" Frowning as he muses, Knoll tilts his head slightly; together you piece together the fragments from this chapter of adventure, but as you assemble the four a clear gap can be seen between the first fragment and third fragment you found. "It seems unless we find the last piece, we can't solve this puzzle fully," reasons the young man, and everyone bows their heads in thought while further away, Shuppet glumly floats about, forgotten.

    What will you do now?

  6. #231
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    While you're certain the answer must fit the hint that was given to you, apprehension nevertheless flits into your mind: what if the answer that you've chosen is incorrect, what might happen then? As you lift your fingers from the Cloyster seal, you take a step back to gaze at your handiwork when the seven seals light up with their respective colours. With no preparation as to what might happen next, the hair on the back of your head stands on end as the floor suddenly seems to give way like quicksand under your feet, and as you are lost in a sinking wave of irradiation you desperately clutch at the air around you to no avail. Piplup and Beaker likewise flail their limbs, but if the collapsing floor's watery appearance is anything to go by, it appears that even Beaker's Surf cannot manipulate the liquid.

    Filled with the sensation of falling, yet without the feeling of wind against your face, you start pondering if this isn't another of the pyramid's mystic features. Before you spend too much time wondering, though, your feet are gently nudged by something hard, and feeling gravity kick in you briefly stumble before standing up; upon another marble slab you now stand, with Piplup and Corphish looking about. Joining in their observation you note that this time, you're in a much larger chamber than before: a variety of other similar slabs lie on the surface of what seems to be more water... or is it? For water, you realise, this pool is particularly shimmery to the point of being opaque. As though sensing your query, a single pillar rises from the polished stone, bearing more glyphs which you quickly read:

    "The path to what you seek shalt be fulfilled when mind, body and soul are rejoined. The blessing of the Goddess upon you; with three steps traverse the trials and seek out the keys. Fall, and be lost with the fallen."

    Looking down at Piplup, who's suddenly started shaking like a leaf, you can't help but gulp: was this where Piplup transformed from Trainer to Pokémon? You hear a startled squawk from Beaker, and looking in her direction you find that she's taken a step onto the water -- literally onto its surface, ripples emanating from her feet as she is suspended above the liquid. Hurriedly she scuttles back onto the stone next to your legs, but the puzzle ahead of you has come clear. It seems that you'll need to tread carefully...

    Rules
    - Following the image, map out your path to the first key of your choosing.
    - Each time you step on the water, you have to find a path to another platform by crossing no more than three adjacent squares of water, and continue from there.
    - Black is where you start from; purple is where you must end; dark blue tiles are where you must step onto to be allowed three more steps on the water; grey tiles are normal stone tiles with no other effect at all.
    I apologize for the image in advance, my animations always mess up when saved >.>

    “I have a feeling we’re getting closer to what we’re looking for”, Wes gulped, eying vacantly at the short penguin which was quaking in its flippers. They’d fallen into a game the boy wasn’t all that keen on playing, but with the ethereal depths keeping Beaker atop of its chessboard self it seemed they’d have to brave the goddesses’ trial. Ripples pulsed from her pointed legs as she jolted in surprise, her appendages locked like a pawn on the board’s square. The stakes where high, fall and rest with the fallen. Perhaps they’d take a while to think about this one. He skimmed across the lifesize board with his index finger, dotting the different puddles of blue each with a stipulation attached. It looked as though they needed to reach three keys, passing over a certain amount of squares setting a clear Game Over. That wouldn’t happen, although he wasn’t the smartest kid by any stretch, he knew to mark his steps – there was no marjin for error.

    “Here we go guys, I think I have this puzzle worked out so stay with me”,
    he calmly instructed to the crustacean and bird, "Stay sharp and don’t go wondering off ok”



  7. #232
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Sobek

    The Caiman Temple

    Treepandaone
    A tentacle rips free of the freezing ice, followed by another, and soon joined by the remaining six as Cradily's barnacle head wrenches forth from the status condition, but Rhyperbeam is waiting and ready. Lumbering forward with his Focus Punch ablaze, the armoured Drill Pokémon smashes through the remaining ice as he punches into Cradily's underside; a resounding shattering noise rips forth, joined by a bansheesque scream from Cradily as Rhyperbeam's attack leaves a severe dent in its base structure. With its lower body damaged and in significant pain, you watch as Cradily totters in imbalance from shifting its feet and trying to keep its head up at the same time, but Rhyperbeam isn't letting up his assault any time soon. Turning around with another Iron Tail, Rhyperbeam uppercuts Cradily by its lower jaw, wrenching its gigantic head backwards; this time choking any interjection from the fossil plant as its head takes a heavy hit.

    Completing its revolution, Rhyperbeam tries raising his arms for his next attack, but even as he does so he falls onto bended knee, and with a sick jolt you realise why. Without a break in his consistent exertions of combinations, Rhyperbeam's energy has been pushed to more than considerable limits, and this is not unnoticed by Cradily as a flicker of glee returns to its eyes. Raising its multiple limbs Cradily starts focusing sinister green energy into its tendrils, but before the worst can happen a shining blast of water jets above you, thundering into Cradily's face and pushing it to the ground as the torrent pins the plant thoroughly. Watching in amazement, you see a claw form out of the water, reassembling into Farity's Feraligatr as Cradily struggles under its grip, but the alternate use of Hydro Pump in Feraligatr's unique circumstances has done its job excellently. As Rhyperbeam takes a few steps backwards, you spot Feraligatr surrounded by a teal-coloured wave while Cradily screeches indignantly yet feebly beneath, but what resistance Cradily has left is promptly silence as Feraligatr launches its Dragon Pulse, resounding through its hapless target below. A final agonised yell rings above all as Cradily's tentacles quaver in mid-air, before falling limply to the floor one by one. Level-up for Rhyperbeam.

    "Grrrraghhh!" A sudden roar from Caiman, forgotten by you in your defence against the fossils, directs your attention upwards where the Pharaoh and Farity have taken the fight, exchanging elemental crossfires as they veer and swerve like aeroplanes in a dogfight. The defeat of his minions -- as you glance around, you find that likewise, the others have subdued the prehistoric beasts on their own -- has not gone unseen, but with Farity keeping up the pressure there is little the mummified villain can do.

    "Give it up, Caiman!" calls Farity, as another pair of energy blasts fly from her hands, meeting their counterparts in mid-air. "Your army has been defeated. You cannot defeat me with your own power; we are evenly matched like this!"

    "Fool! More minions can be summoned in a matter of time; when my power restores itself!" snarls Caiman in response. "Even if you fail to tire, your allies will fall to their limits, whereas I control countless puppets of the undead! My power is limitless compared to yours!"

    "That may be. My human allies, as well as their Pokémon, might not be free of their limits as you are," Farity muses, "Although, I cannot agree that all my allies will fall so easily, and neither are you necessarily limitless."

    "What?! You --"

    "Rock Tomb!"

    To everyone's unified surprise, Feraligatr stomps its foot on the ground, and as the tiles in the chamber's centre give way those in the vicinity take hurried steps backwards as an open stone solid rises from the floor.

    "Is that --" "It's a stone sarcophagus!"

    "What?!" Glaring at his opponent, the Pharaoh's bandaged mouth bristles in both indignation and anger, "Farity! You wouldn't!"

    "If that is the only way to stop you, and it is, I won't hesitate. You know as well as I do that a majority of our powers, though evenly matched, have been used up," states the female avatar as she glows; a hexagonal symbol forming around her. "You no longer have the ability to resist my sealing spell!"

    "You -- can't be serious!" hisses Caiman, "You're going to sacrifice yourself just to seal me away?! You would leave Sobek unprotected?!"

    "There will always be those willing to step up to the challenge, should the need to defend Sobek, nay, Talas, ever arise." At this point, Farity has become completely silhouetted by her aura, with her voice as the only indication that she is still speaking. "It is as I have said, Caiman... it's not something you will ever understand. Now, I sentence thee to be forever imprisoned by stone!"

    "No! NO! You...!"

    "My friend, lend me your powers once more, for the salvation of the innocent." Nodding at its mistress' request, Feraligatr rises literally to the occasion, transforming into a spiralling wave of water as Farity becomes obscured by the thin, long hexagon, all the while shining with ever-increasing intensity. Altogether, as though sensing something, the Pokémon fall to the ground as they cover their eyes, and to the shouts of Tina and Peter the scientists and you do so as well. A faint requiem seems to fill the room, drowning out the shouts of the cursed Pharaoh as the brilliance filters past your fingers, and it isn't until when all is finally dark and silent that you open your eyes and stand up.

    "My word..." One of the first to rise, Peter stumbles towards the gleaming coffin in the middle of the room; now with an addition of a lid, bearing Farity's six-sided sigil as a line of gentle light surrounds the tomb where the coffin has been closed. "Has she..."

    "My friends. I thank you for your assistance in subduing the threat that Caiman posed upon Sobek," whispers Farity's voice. "With the last of my power I will send you back, such that you will not need to brave the Temple's dangers. Thank you once more, and farewell..."

    With those words lingering at the edge of your ears, you feel a sudden sense of uplifting surround you, but in the blink of an eye you find yourself standing on dirt and sand, with sunlight bathing the land around you. Murmurs rise again from the scientists as they realise their location, but abruptly Tina's frantic screaming is heard.

    "Glenn! Where's Glenn?!" she cries, tears stinging her eyes as everyone realises that one member of the team is still unaccounted for. A brief search ensues until Rex's alerted shout brings the others' attention to a familiar figure is spotted some distance away, lying sprawled on the sand softly groaning. "Glenn!" All restraint abandoned, Tina dives at the sight of her colleague and friend, grabbing him in one arm as she lifts his head up with her other, such that Glenn's half-closed eyes meet her shining ones. "...Tina?"

    "You're... okay..." Unable to maintain her composure, Tina rests her head on Glenn's shoulder as she sobs, awash with relief and gratitude. As the other scientists surround the pair, they offer various expressions of similar assurance, joy and consolation.

    "Well, all things considered, I think we're all in good state and spirit," smiles Tim, supporting Lorraine as she weakly rests against him. "We should be moving back as soon as possible; the laboratory, if anything, needs our attention now."

    ***

    "So... what was it like, Glenn, being possessed like that?" Half a day had come and gone as you and the scientists rested up for the return journey, and now you find yourself riding Impact once more with another person amongst your ranks, whose presence has been the subject of much talk on the way.

    "I... most of the experience was a blank, really. It's like I had gone to sleep for a long, long time," frowns Glenn, as he mulls over Peter's query. "But for brief moments of consciousness, I felt... really awful. I think a part of me knew what was going on, even though my senses were shut -- oh, no. Did... I do that?"

    As Impact conquers the final vestiges of distance, you realise what has caught everyone's present attention. Grimacing at the familiar sight, Peter and Mynah are first to disembark, having been the first to witness Caiman's full wrath alone. Where structures could not have been abandoned, pitiful shells and shadows of their former appearances lie amongst the debris, completely unidentifiable aside from their location, and ahead the laboratory is but a burnt husk of a building.

    "Just like I remembered. The chain reaction of released energy must have blown up the laboratory something horrible," sighs Mynah, as the others join her side and Peter's. "I don't think there's anything we can salvage from there."

    "Matthew, I'm... I'm sorry." Remorsefully, Tina looks at you, "You've done so much for us, and... it's not right for us to hold you back any longer. We've got a lot of work ahead of us, and we can't involve you in our affairs, but... to send you away without..."

    "Maybe not," states another female voice, and you're all stunned to see Lorraine push through the others, walking straight past the gap that was the laboratory's door. Exchanging looks of confusion, you and the group follow the blonde scientist inside, cringing a little at the assortment of damaged, combusted machinery and other devices in various styles and stages of destruction. "I think there's still something we can give Matthew."

    "Something we can give? But... what? Everything's in horrible disrepair, and what could we give a Trainer to use?"

    "Not... everything, per se," admits Lorraine. "For our outposts, we don't carry data backups; those are kept to headquarters so that in the event of such disaster, we don't risk a complete loss of data if the backups are likewise destroyed. As a result, the standard issue parts for the main networks in each outpost is built to withstand heavy damage, such that the necessity for reporting backup requirements is reduced." Walking to a gigantic processor, fitted with what must have been a multitude of screens, Lorraine pulls out her own PokéDexesque device and inserts an extension cable into one of many ports along the side, scanning the remains of the data inside. "As I expected. There's still some data we can use for our friend here. If we pull together enough information from the undamaged data, and link it to a cobbled transfer device, we should be able to at least create a resurrectable fossil."

    "But... Lorraine," Stepping forward, Tina places a hand on her colleague's shoulder, "Isn't that your research data? Once the data has been transferred and converted... the system won't retain the information anymore!"

    "It's alright. I think I owe you all the most for having to put up with me," Lorraine says quietly, "You saved my life as well as Glenn's. This is the least I can do for all I put everyone through... Tina, no, Leader. Can you ever forgive me?"

    "You don't need to ask me, Lorraine." Taking Lorraine by the hand not holding the device, Tina smiles warmly at her friend, in spite of her looking down in shame. "You're a part of this team, too. We might lose our tempers at each other every now and then, but... I've never doubted you, your abilities, or your place. You're a much valued member of our little family."

    Wiping away a tear, Lorraine joins with Tina in a short, friendly hug, before she beckons towards you as she presents you with her PokéDex. "Go on, Matthew. It's up to you to pick one," she says kindly, and as you look at the selection screen you find that two choices are shown: 345 and 408, respectively...
    *For the reference, raising Rhyperbeam from 52 to 53.*

    As his eyes ogled the tentacles ripping from the freezing ice, Matthew stood tall as he watched the gargantuan Fossil tore its way from the ice like an angry hornet from an attacked hive as another tentacle joined the original one, followed by another. As the barnacled head of Cradily joined the un-iced tentacles and the ice smashing to the floor, breaking into small margarita-supple ice blocks, Matthew found himself engrossed in his Rhydon’s hand, the large fist covered in a fighting blaze. As the last of the ice broke free from the Cradily’s ample body, Matthew saw the cumbersome Rhyperior waddle his way over to the fossil, smashing him with a giant hand as the Armoured Drill Pokémon connected with the intended Focus Punch, cracking with the underside of the Cradily as Matthew’s ears were set alight with the sound of a shatter, followed by a banshee-esque scream. As Matthew registered the significant pain the lower body of the Cradily had taken, he watched in awe as the fossil teetered around in imbalance, shifting its feet and moving its head. Unable to take his concentration from ridding the world of the Evil Pharaoh’s Pokémon, Matthew gave the relentless order of attack to a war that held Talas at stake, as the Rhyperior to his side turned around to uppercut cradily with the mace-like tail of its species, wrenching the Cradily’s head and choking any interjection from the plant.

    As its attack revolution came to an end, Matthew saw Rhyperior raise an arm and fall on one bended knee, and with a sick jolt, he realized why. As he saw the amount of turns the Rock Giant had been fighting without a break, the constant exertions and combinations laid Rhyperbeam’s energy to rest, after being pushed to more than considerable limits. Looking on in desperation, Matthew shocked eyes fell glazen upon the the Cradily’s eyes, filled with a flickered of glee to take the advantage once again. As his eyes swerved towards the multiple limbs of the sea-fossil, Matthew’s eyes budged as a sinister green energy formed in its tendrils. Fearing the worst, Matthew called out in desperation as a shining blitz of water fell over his head, thundering into the Cradily’s face, pushing it to the ground, pinning it in an uncomfortable position. Turning from concern to amazement, Matthew watched a claw form out of the water, resembling the familiar Feraligatr belonging to one certain Goddess Farity, the alternating use of the Hydro Pump technique being a vivital role in Rhyperbeam’s survival. As Rhyperbeam stood a few steps back, Matthew’s eyes spotted Feraligatr surrounded in a teal-coloured wave while the Cradily screeched in pain, only to be silenced by the following Dragon Pulse. As Cradily resoundingly flopped to the floor, Matthew found himself agonizingly close to yelling out a cheer, the tentacles of the cradily falling one-bye-one to the floor. As he looked to Rhyperbeam, Matthew registered the increase in power in his starter Pokémon.

    "Grrrraghhh!"

    A sudden roar from the mummified pharaoh took Matthew’s focus from the battle victory, ending the celebrations early and alerting Matthew back to the fact that Talas was still at stake. As his eyes drifted upward to the evil tyrant, Matthew watched as the Pharaoh and Farity fought above him, an elemental crossfire zooming ahead as they veered like aeroplanes in a dogfight. Fascinated at the attacks, Matthew took a look around the tomb, surprised to find his comrades also victorious in their assault on the fossils, subduing the prehistoric dangers, but the pressure Farity was keeping on Caiman was far more interesting.

    "Give it up, Caiman!" The Goddess called as another blast of energy flew from her hands, Matthew’s eyes following with a keen attitude, willing to learn from the master, the attack meeting with the counter-part and exploding. "Your army has been defeated. You cannot defeat me with your own power; we are evenly matched like this!"

    "Fool! More minions can be summoned in a matter of time; when my power restores itself!" Caiman snarled back "Even if you fail to tire, your allies will fall to their limits, whereas I control countless puppets of the undead! My power is limitless compared to yours!"

    "That may be. My human allies, as well as their Pokémon, might not be free of their limits as you are, although, I cannot agree that all my allies will fall so easily, and neither are you necessarily limitless."

    "What?! You --"

    "Rock Tomb!"

    As everyone around the room gasped with shock, Matthew’s jaw opened wide in disbelief as the Feraligatr stomped on the ground as the tiles around the chamber began to give way as Matthew’s comrades took hurried steps backwards.

    "Is that --" "It's a stone sarcophagus!"

    "What?!" Caiman’s bandaged mouth moved with shock as he glared at the Goddess. "Farity! You wouldn't!"

    "If that is the only way to stop you, and it is, I won't hesitate. You know as well as I do that a majority of our powers, though evenly matched, have been used up," Farity continued as Matthew struggled to work out what was so big about the stone tomb. As the Goddess glowed with a faint hexagonal aura, Matthew tilted his head. "You no longer have the ability to resist my sealing spell!"

    "You -- can't be serious!" Caiman hissed, "You're going to sacrifice yourself just to seal me away?! You would leave Sobek unprotected?!"

    "There will always be those willing to step up to the challenge, should the need to defend Sobek, nay, Talas, ever arise." Gulping and realzing the plan, Matthew was shocked that Goddess would sacrifice herself on the feeling that he stood up to protect his friend. Blushing and worried at the same time, Matthew saw Farity’s aura become so bright, throwing an arm in front of his eyes for protection, "It is as I have said, Caiman... it's not something you will ever understand. Now, I sentence thee to be forever imprisoned by stone!”

    "No! NO! You...!"

    "My friend, lend me your powers once more, for the salvation of the innocent." Farity continued as Matthew’s gaze fell on Feraligatr as it nodded at its mistress’ request, rising to the occasion as it transformedinto a spiraling wave of water, the crocodile joining the obscured Goddess in the long hexagon. As If they were sensing something, Matthew witnessed all of the Pokémon fall to the ground as they covered their eyes, the shouts from Tina and Peter, the scientists following. Leaving it until the last minute, Matthew took in the last sight of the Goddess before the hand of Rhyperbeam took him to the floor, hitting the deck to protect his eyes as he saw a faint requiem fill the room, the shouts of the Pharaoh being drowned out , as energy passed Matthew’s fingers. As the light disappeared and became dark once more, Matthew opened his eyes and stood up.

    "My word..." Peter mused as he stumbled towards the gleaming coffin, as Matthew took a once over of the tomb, sitting in the middle of the room with a lid, covered in Farity’s six-sided sigil as the gentle light surrounded the tomb. "Has she..."

    "My friends. I thank you for your assistance in subduing the threat that Caiman posed upon Sobek," The Goddess whispered, "With the last of my power I will send you back, such that you will not need to brave the Temple's dangers. Thank you once more, and farewell..."

    With the words lingering around like a bad smell, Matthew felt a sudden feeling of guilt as he saw the Goddess have to sacrifice herself because of his inability to search for a lesser fossil, the feeling suddenly joined by a sudden sense of uplifting. Blinking once, Matthew found himself standing on the dirt and sand, the sunlight baring down on his as his put one hand over his eyes, giving them time to re-cooperate and re-adjust. Looking around, Matthew saw, and heard, the scientists as they murmured amongst themselves as they too realized the location, but were interrupted by Tina’s frantic screaming.

    "Glenn! Where's Glenn?!"

    Looking at her face, Matthew realized what the scientist meant to the leader as her eyes swelled with tears at the one unaccounted member, as the rest of the team realized the situation. Frantically glancing around the surroundings, Matthew’s heart skipped a beat as Rex’s alerted shout brought his attention to a body of familiar stature, as he ran to join them in helping the sprawled body from the soft sands. "Glenn!" As the restraint abandoned the leader, Matthew saw Tina dive at the sight of her colleague as she grabbed him by one arm, lifting his head as Glenn’s half-closed eyes met her shining ones. "...Tina?"

    "You're... okay..." Tina said, unable to maintain her composure as she rested her head on her friends shoulder, sobbing awash with relief and gratitude. As the other scientists surrounded the pair, they all had various expressions of similar assurance, joy and consolation.

    "Well, all things considered, I think we're all in good state and spirit," Tim stated as he supported the weakened Lorraine, "We should be moving back as soon as possible; the laboratory, if anything, needs our attention now."

    ***

    With his back rested against Impact’s neck in his usual riding position, Matthew found himself rested from the half-day re-cooperation as Glenn joined him on the back of the Steelix, the subject of most of the talking, glad to have him aboard the Snake Pokémon.

    "So... what was it like, Glenn, being possessed like that?" Peter asked as Glenn mulled over the question.

    "I... most of the experience was a blank, really. It's like I had gone to sleep for a long, long time, but for brief moments of consciousness, I felt... really awful. I think a part of me knew what was going on, even though my senses were shut -- oh, no. Did... I do that?"

    As Impact conquered the final vestiges of the trip, Matthew turned around to see what had caught everyone’s present attention. Grimacing at the familiar sight, Matthew dismounted off Steelix as Peter and Mynah disembarked, having been first to witness Caiman’s full wrath alone. Shuddering at the broken laboratory, Matthew saw while the structures had not been abandoned, the pitiful shells and shadows of the building couldn’t compare in the slightest to the former appearance, completely unidentifiable aside from the location, as the building looked like a burst husk.

    "Just like I remembered. The chain reaction of released energy must have blown up the laboratory something horrible," Mynah sighed as the rest of the scientists joined by her side, Matthew withdrawing Steelix into its Pokéball and thanking him for the assistance. "I don't think there's anything we can salvage from there."

    "Matthew, I'm... I'm sorry." Tina looked at Matthew remorsefully as he smiled weakly, glad to be alive, "You've done so much for us, and... it's not right for us to hold you back any longer. We've got a lot of work ahead of us, and we can't involve you in our affairs, but... to send you away without..."

    “It matters not to me. As long as Glenn is safe, I need no material possessions.” Matthew answered

    "Maybe not," stated another female voice as Matthew jumped, stunned to see Lorraine pushing through past the others and past what used to be the laboratory doors. Exchanging a look of confusion with the rest of the group, Matthew followed the blonde inside where he spotted the woman rummaging through the assortment of damaged, combusted machinery and other devices, each at different stages of destruction. "I think there's still something we can give Matthew."

    "Something we can give? But... what? Everything's in horrible disrepair, and what could we give a Trainer to use?"

    "Not... everything, per se," Lorraine admitted as Matthew became more confused, tilting his head slightly "For our outposts, we don't carry data backups; those are kept to headquarters so that in the event of such disaster, we don't risk a complete loss of data if the backups are likewise destroyed. As a result, the standard issue parts for the main networks in each outpost is built to withstand heavy damage, such that the necessity for reporting backup requirements is reduced." As she walked to a gigantic processor, Matthew saw Lorraine pull out her own PokéDexesque device, inserting an extension cable into one of the many ports along the side and scanning the remains of data inside. "As I expected. There's still some data we can use for our friend here. If we pull together enough information from the undamaged data, and link it to a cobbled transfer device, we should be able to at least create a resurrectable fossil."

    "But... Lorraine," Stepping forward, Tina placed one hand on her colleague’s shoulder "Isn't that your research data? Once the data has been transferred and converted... the system won't retain the information anymore!"

    "It's alright. I think I owe you all the most for having to put up with me," Lorraine said quietly, "You saved my life as well as Glenn's. This is the least I can do for all I put everyone through... Tina, no, Leader. Can you ever forgive me?"

    "You don't need to ask me, Lorraine." Taking Lorraine’s spare hand, Tina warmly smiled at her friend, in spite of her looking down in shame. "You're a part of this team, too. We might lose our tempers at each other every now and then, but... I've never doubted you, your abilities, or your place. You're a much valued member of our little family."

    As Lorraine wiped away a tear, she gave Tina a short friendly hug before beckoning Matthew towards the Pokédex, presenting him with two options on the screen. “Go on, Matthew. It's up to you to pick one," she said kindly, as Matthew looked at the numbers on the selection screen, the numbers 345 and 408 showing. Gulping, Matthew clicked Number 408, unsure of what would come next.

  8. #233
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Despite already having a route planned out, the notion of what might happen if you did make an erroneous judgement is unnerving, to say the least. Nevertheless you take a step towards the eastern part of the room, and the instant your foot touches the surface a large series of ripples waves out from beneath your shoe; the odd sensation of stepping on quasi-solid, quasi-jelly flooring going up your leg. Feeling mildly seasick at the strangeness of it all, you lead the way with three large steps, landing on the nearest platform as Piplup and Beaker scuttle behind you. Once you confirm that everyone's accounted for with no visible anomalies, you take another stride south before veering further towards your left, and following another similar procedure you head upwards across the mystic pool towards the visible key platform.

    Upon reaching the first of your targeted destinations, you're briefly startled to find a doorway leading further to a flight of steps; something you hadn't noticed from the centre of the chamber. With this as the only way to the first key you head up half a minute's worth of stairs, Beaker and Piplup tottering up the flight until the walls open up to a little antechamber. A pedestal stands at the far end of the small room, illuminated by a glowing glyph that you identify as an ornately portrayed Victreebel, with its leaves curled majestically and a spotlight radiating from its open jaw.

    Stepping near the stand, you find another series of the now familiar font, littered with a series of small square tiles bearing numbers on them, and to expectations you note an equal number of slots for each of the squares, but this time arranged in a strict vertical line at the very centre of where the light hits the pedestal.

    "Quiraisu the Water-Carrier, the Keeper of the Body

    As the body holds the soul and mind, so its foundation must be firm. The greatest one bears the burden of support required of it, continuing all the way to the top.
    "

    Looking at the various tiles, you take a note of the numbers they entail: 318, 456, 224, 131, 86, 368, 230, 9, 367, 423. It seems that once again you're facing an order-based puzzle, but do you know what order you need to fill in this time?


    The Lost City of Sobek

    Research Lab Ruins

    Treepandaone
    As you place a finger to the touch-response screen of Lorraine's PokéDex, the bevelled button image gives off a click in confirmation, and all at once the screen fills with a storm of ones and zeroes, while the port where PokéBalls would be exchanged wirelessly between computer network opens up in a flash of light.

    "That's the data conversion process. In principle this works similarly to how items and Pokémon can be donated in personal computers; the data contained by the system is now being retrieved and altered from virtuality into matter," explains Lorraine. Sure enough, as she brings your hand just below the transferral beam you can briefly feel the presence of something weighty, being materialised out of thin air as the data continues to run. Around you the other scientists watch on intently like children watching a magic show, and while the scenario is indeed scientific in origin there certainly is some degree of marvel about the whole affair, as a dark brown dot begins appearing in suspension above your palm. Seconds drag into minutes, and with the passing time you note a definite flat dome above what looks like a chunk petrified rock. By the time it grows slightly larger than your open hand, a little "ding" registers from Lorraine's PokéDex, and with a gentle thwop the fossil lands on your palm.

    "Whoa, careful." Catching the fossil before the sudden weight-induced imbalance causes you to drop it, Peter brings it up to his watchful eyes. "Yep, looks like a workable specimen. I daresay you'll get a Cranidos out of this Skull Fossil, Matthew."

    "Problem is... I don't think we'll be able to revive it under these conditions," coughs Rex, as Peter hands you the precious artifact. "I'm hardly a specialist in maintenance, but I don't think we'll be able to do any real work for months at least."

    "Matthew... If anything, we'd all like to see how that fossil grows under your care. I think I speak for everyone when I say that you've proven yourself to be an exceptional trainer; it certainly would be beneficial for the Cranidos, but... well, Rex already took the words from my mouth." Placing her hand on your shoulder as she's done for Lorraine, Tina addresses you with a slight sense of sheepishness to her expression. "And we're going to have our hands full pulling this place back together, awaiting help from HQ, and aiding reconstruction in the area... we couldn't possibly delay you here any longer. You've got a greater path to forge and walk out for yourself; if you continued blazing that trail of yours, it'd mean the most to us."

    The breath is pushed out of you as Tina draws you into a hug, soon joined by the other scientists as they link into a many-armed matrix; everyone realising that this is most certainly goodbye, the end of a chapter of life experienced together. A melancholy wisp flitters into the air as you are released, the scientists moving back like a crowd watching a ship's maiden voyage from its dock. Gently, the leader nudges you towards the broken exit, and with a smile you wave a fond goodbye that the scientists happily reciprocate -- gratitude, pride and a shine of new friendships formed in their eyes, as you move on to your next journey...

    Note: Upon replying to this update, your inventory will have a Skull Fossil that must be revived in another adventure. You can revisit this area in several months, assuming space in this zone, or join a new adventure in another zone for a quest to revive Cranidos. With that, thanks for adventuring in the Lost Cities of Talas, and best wishes on your other endeavours in Fizzy Bubbles.
    *end transmission*

  9. #234
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Posts
    680

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Sobek

    Research Lab Ruins

    Treepandaone
    As you place a finger to the touch-response screen of Lorraine's PokéDex, the bevelled button image gives off a click in confirmation, and all at once the screen fills with a storm of ones and zeroes, while the port where PokéBalls would be exchanged wirelessly between computer network opens up in a flash of light.

    "That's the data conversion process. In principle this works similarly to how items and Pokémon can be donated in personal computers; the data contained by the system is now being retrieved and altered from virtuality into matter," explains Lorraine. Sure enough, as she brings your hand just below the transferral beam you can briefly feel the presence of something weighty, being materialised out of thin air as the data continues to run. Around you the other scientists watch on intently like children watching a magic show, and while the scenario is indeed scientific in origin there certainly is some degree of marvel about the whole affair, as a dark brown dot begins appearing in suspension above your palm. Seconds drag into minutes, and with the passing time you note a definite flat dome above what looks like a chunk petrified rock. By the time it grows slightly larger than your open hand, a little "ding" registers from Lorraine's PokéDex, and with a gentle thwop the fossil lands on your palm.

    "Whoa, careful." Catching the fossil before the sudden weight-induced imbalance causes you to drop it, Peter brings it up to his watchful eyes. "Yep, looks like a workable specimen. I daresay you'll get a Cranidos out of this Skull Fossil, Matthew."

    "Problem is... I don't think we'll be able to revive it under these conditions," coughs Rex, as Peter hands you the precious artifact. "I'm hardly a specialist in maintenance, but I don't think we'll be able to do any real work for months at least."

    "Matthew... If anything, we'd all like to see how that fossil grows under your care. I think I speak for everyone when I say that you've proven yourself to be an exceptional trainer; it certainly would be beneficial for the Cranidos, but... well, Rex already took the words from my mouth." Placing her hand on your shoulder as she's done for Lorraine, Tina addresses you with a slight sense of sheepishness to her expression. "And we're going to have our hands full pulling this place back together, awaiting help from HQ, and aiding reconstruction in the area... we couldn't possibly delay you here any longer. You've got a greater path to forge and walk out for yourself; if you continued blazing that trail of yours, it'd mean the most to us."

    The breath is pushed out of you as Tina draws you into a hug, soon joined by the other scientists as they link into a many-armed matrix; everyone realising that this is most certainly goodbye, the end of a chapter of life experienced together. A melancholy wisp flitters into the air as you are released, the scientists moving back like a crowd watching a ship's maiden voyage from its dock. Gently, the leader nudges you towards the broken exit, and with a smile you wave a fond goodbye that the scientists happily reciprocate -- gratitude, pride and a shine of new friendships formed in their eyes, as you move on to your next journey...

    Note: Upon replying to this update, your inventory will have a Skull Fossil that must be revived in another adventure. You can revisit this area in several months, assuming space in this zone, or join a new adventure in another zone for a quest to revive Cranidos. With that, thanks for adventuring in the Lost Cities of Talas, and best wishes on your other endeavours in Fizzy Bubbles.
    *end transmission*
    Matthew shivered a little with excitement as his sensation organ touched the receptor on the touch-screen as it whirred into life, Lorraine’s Pokédex responding to every movement of fingers, the beveled button image giving a click-off in confirmation as the screen filled with tidbits of information, all completely non-understandable to Matthew. As the ones and zeroes followed, Matthew saw the Pokéball port open in a flash of light as it wirelessly communicated with the computers massive network. Amassed and amazed with the technology of scientists in the Fizzy Bubbles region, Matthew’s head began to wonder on the border of clouds, daydreaming of the possibilities of what the technology could amass and what it could do if harnessed properly.

    “That's the data conversion process. In principle this works similarly to how items and Pokémon can be donated in personal computers; the data contained by the system is now being retrieved and altered from virtuality into matter," Lorraine explained as Matthew Shook the thoughts of trainer ambiguities from his mind, holding out his hand in a subconscious manner. As he did, Matthew followed the trusted words of the female scientist as he felt something weight materialize in his left hand as the data flashed behind him, catching his outer vision. Looking around with a confused look on his face, Matthew saw the other scientists focused on the task at hand as they watched the beam like children at a magic show. Raising his eyebrows at the scientific marvel, Matthew sensed the awed sensation haze throughout the air as a dark brown dot appeared in suspension above his palm. Being a relatively short and stumpy object, Matthew held one hand flat as to catch the dot, only to find the blob continue expanding. With minutes turning into seconds, Matthew’s eyes budged as the dot formed gradually into a chunk of petrified rock. By the time it was done, the rock grew slightly larger than his palm as a little ‘ding’ distracted the trainer from his object, Lorraine’s Pokédex confirming the transaction as a gentle thwop surrounded the air as it landed in Matthew’s opened palm.


    "Whoa, careful." The sudden weight differential caught Matthew off-balance as the weight-induced rock wobbled in his hand before Peter brung it up to his eyes, making sure Matthew didn’t drop the precious stone. "Yep, looks like a workable specimen. I daresay you'll get a Cranidos out of this Skull Fossil, Matthew." Nodding satisfactory, Matthew coined how hard the Rampardos fought against him in the Tomb of Caiman, and how he stared in amazement at the resolve and spirit of the fossil Pokémon.

    "Problem is... I don't think we'll be able to revive it under these conditions," Rex coughed as Matthew turned his head to face the scientist as Peter handed him the precious artifact. "I'm hardly a specialist in maintenance, but I don't think we'll be able to do any real work for months at least." He finished as Matthew scrunched his face into concentration.

    "Matthew... If anything, we'd all like to see how that fossil grows under your care. I think I speak for everyone when I say that you've proven yourself to be an exceptional trainer; it certainly would be beneficial for the Cranidos, but... well, Rex already took the words from my mouth." Feeling Tina’s hand on his shoulder as she talked to him, Matthew sensed a bite of sheepishness in her voice, "And we're going to have our hands full pulling this place back together, awaiting help from HQ, and aiding reconstruction in the area... we couldn't possibly delay you here any longer. You've got a greater path to forge and walk out for yourself; if you continued blazing that trail of yours, it'd mean the most to us."

    As the air got pushed from his lungs, Matthew felt himself being drawn into a hug with Tina as he put his arms around her, expressing his gratitude as the rest of the scientists soon joined in, linking in a many-armed matrix as everyone realized it was most certainly goodbye, the end of a chapter of life that they could also experience together. As a melancholy wisp flittered through the air as he became released, the crowd moved back as if watching a ship’s maiden voyage from its dock. Being nudged gently from behind, Matthew smiled as he faced the broken exit, a smile and wave bonded a fond goodbye that the scientists happily reciprocated. As gratitude, pride and friendships bode well into Matthew’s brain, he moved onto his next journey with fond memories. Flicking open his Pokédex, he searched the word ‘Lab’ into the Pokédex, finding one more laboratory in the land of Fizzy Bubbles, as he set off for the land of ‘Cortoza’ he looked back as a single tear melted from his eyes, happiness spreading throughout his body.

    “I’ll be back someday. There’s still so much I want to explore of Talas so maybe I’ll pop back to see you guys in a couple of months” he shouted back, before releasing Zero onto the desert, clambering onto the Aerodactyl as it flapped its wings, flying off into the sunset with the skull fossil in Matthew’s backpack


    OoC: Thanks so much for the adventure Shadow, as well as my Skull Fossil. I’ll probably return someday if that’s ok with you, maybe even if it’s just to pop by on the way to another sub-zone. Very speedily updated and all of them better than the last, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

  10. #235
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Despite already having a route planned out, the notion of what might happen if you did make an erroneous judgement is unnerving, to say the least. Nevertheless you take a step towards the eastern part of the room, and the instant your foot touches the surface a large series of ripples waves out from beneath your shoe; the odd sensation of stepping on quasi-solid, quasi-jelly flooring going up your leg. Feeling mildly seasick at the strangeness of it all, you lead the way with three large steps, landing on the nearest platform as Piplup and Beaker scuttle behind you. Once you confirm that everyone's accounted for with no visible anomalies, you take another stride south before veering further towards your left, and following another similar procedure you head upwards across the mystic pool towards the visible key platform.

    Upon reaching the first of your targeted destinations, you're briefly startled to find a doorway leading further to a flight of steps; something you hadn't noticed from the centre of the chamber. With this as the only way to the first key you head up half a minute's worth of stairs, Beaker and Piplup tottering up the flight until the walls open up to a little antechamber. A pedestal stands at the far end of the small room, illuminated by a glowing glyph that you identify as an ornately portrayed Victreebel, with its leaves curled majestically and a spotlight radiating from its open jaw.

    Stepping near the stand, you find another series of the now familiar font, littered with a series of small square tiles bearing numbers on them, and to expectations you note an equal number of slots for each of the squares, but this time arranged in a strict vertical line at the very centre of where the light hits the pedestal.

    "Quiraisu the Water-Carrier, the Keeper of the Body

    As the body holds the soul and mind, so its foundation must be firm. The greatest one bears the burden of support required of it, continuing all the way to the top.
    "

    Looking at the various tiles, you take a note of the numbers they entail: 318, 456, 224, 131, 86, 368, 230, 9, 367, 423. It seems that once again you're facing an order-based puzzle, but do you know what order you need to fill in this time?
    With another conundrum at hand, Wes knew he couldn’t rely on his wits alone. The numbers meant nothing to a trainer like him, but perhaps what scrap of technology hustled on his person could shed some light onto the almost plucky game. He threw the canvas shoulder bag a few feet ahead unzipping it once more and rustling through the various bits of snack food and clothing – finding a rectangular device about the size of a mobile phone. What bit of gold body paint which’d coloured its plastic front had now begun to scratch. The encyclopaedia was no longer in peak condition, but as far as the boy knew it’d still work beneath the dents and knocks. The teen tapped a circular button with his right thumb, a brief lapse in time before a welcome screen. The LED screen flickered with a chibi Porygon which unfolded like a piece of origami. Wes recognised the avatar was just a feature of the dex, but smiled all the same as the AI nodded cutely.

    “How are you today, Master Wallace?” the Pokedex chirped mechanically.

    “Not good, m’fraid”, he replied gravely, “We’ve been helping a –“ Wes paused in mid-sentence, realising the question was part of its welcoming lingo, rather than geuine curiosity. The boy remembered the chain of text dotted on the ancient walkways – the numbers first and foremost.

    “Pokedex, initiate an index search for 318, 456, 224, 131, 086, 368, 230, 009, 367 and 423”, the chibi-Porygon swooped away from the screen, a pixalated hourglass filling its place as the three waited with baited breath. With a timely ping, a list of several species filled the brightly lit screen.

    “Trivia! All of these Pokémon belong to the Water Type!”, the Pokemon Encyclopedia added.

    “I should’ve figured”, the boy replied, pressing his lips together as the thoughts of his most recent brainteaser flooded back to mind. The transcriptions mentioned something about firm foundations, carrying. Perhaps the sequence had to be one that would support a tower of Pokémon. Obviously a small and feeble Lumineon couldn’t carry a mighty Lapras – would it be an order of Strength? Height perhaps? Wes couldn’t settle on an answer, pacing back and forth with his palm on his forehead.

    “If we’re wanting to stack these sea creatures, it would make sense to go from heaviest to lightest, right?” Wes squinted slightly, less confident with this hunch than any before. The clues where much more subtle, the answer far out of reach for a teenager with no idea of what consequences would entail. The Dex flickered, automatically processing an advance search by extracting keywords from Wes’s string of sentence.

    ADVANCED SEARCH INITIATED – SPECIES INDEX NO;
    318, 456, 224, 131, 086, 368, 230, 009, 367, 423
    WEIGHT ORDER SPECIFIED – HEAVIEST TO LIGHTEST
    131, 230, 086, 009, 423, 224, 367, 368, 318, 456


    Wes lowered the device, the light plastic clanking as it tapped against the marble floorway. He then began sliding the tiles with the tips of his fingers, a tense haze filling the ambience. Switching eyes between the puzzle and the screen he couldn’t help feeling he’d lost Beaker at least. She didn’t seem too interested in the device, parked on her bottom in hopes the ominous activity would leave her alone. That didn't seem likely.

  11. #236
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Least affirmed of this puzzle out of everything you've had to face so far, you nevertheless arrange the numerous square tiles laid in front of you into their respective slots as indicated by your PokéDex. Below you, Piplup puts its flippers to its beak in uneasy anticipation while Beaker clicks her pincers impatiently, and you can't help but wonder if she's lost her interest in your spelunking-rescue operation expedition. As the final piece slides into its place, however, an instantaneous pulse of light rises up the layout, from 131 up to 456, and as the column bursts with brilliance you briefly shield your eyes. When you're certain the light has faded enough you put down your hands, and to your surprise where the line of tiles had been on the pedestal a small rectangular alcove, long as the object it holds, reveals itself to your eyes; a glinting, golden object within it. Picking up the item you find yourself looking at a gleaming key: its lower end bearing four odd shaped protrusions almost in resemblance to a stick figure human, while its handle displays a pair of tiny sapphires like eyes. Above the depression that held the key you find that the words have magically altered:

    "Bearer of the body, blessings smile upon you. Tarry not in your quest; seek the other keys, uniting them as one in the centre."

    It looks like you'll have to make your way across the enchanted pool again. What will you do now?

  12. #237
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In Imaginary Sin and Bliss
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    After a quick briefing, interjected with a few statements from Missy and Lucius, your trusty Sableye now also has a suitable grip of the situation. With his irises gleaming in familiar mischief, light pours forth from his gemstone eyes like a pair of searchlights, slowly filling the room and extending to the outside as Impish applies his Foresight in the matter. After a moment of pondering Impish starts dashing away, prompting all of you to follow him. Passing by Knoll you alert him with a brief hand sign as Impish darts into another doorway, and rounding the corner Missy quickly shoots her Mean Look into the walls of the room. Sure enough, the guilty Shuppet is seen in a far corner of the empty room, with a little pout to its expression as it finds that it can no longer phase through the stone.

    Stepping forward once again Lucius stares down his unevolved form, repeating his request but this time, you know he's in a far more serious and dangerous mood. Displeased as it is that its little game is up, the sight of your nearly full team is a clear message to Shuppet that resistance is foolish as well as futile, and as it floats towards Lucius it gives a reluctant huff, relinquishing the tablet piece into Lucius' outstretched claw. Turning back to you with his zipper back in a grin, Lucius raises the stone piece to your hand, and turning to let Knoll join in you read the lines on this fragment:

    "nue any further. I cannot access the memories pertaining to how I escaped; even so much as a hint puts me into uncontrollable shivering. All I can write is the descriptions of the key which I had seen, and hope that one day, someone might be able to continue my attempt in solving the mysteries behind Arctosia, with the Pokémon needed to seek an audience."

    "Hmmmm... If I had to wager a guess, this tablet must be speaking of a Pokémon combination, needed in Arctosia's Temple to enter... the deepest chamber, perhaps?" Frowning as he muses, Knoll tilts his head slightly; together you piece together the fragments from this chapter of adventure, but as you assemble the four a clear gap can be seen between the first fragment and third fragment you found. "It seems unless we find the last piece, we can't solve this puzzle fully," reasons the young man, and everyone bows their heads in thought while further away, Shuppet glumly floats about, forgotten.

    What will you do now?
    Impish viewed the eclectic scene with curiosity, if he had an eyebrown he would have raised it. He couldn't quite make out where he was but it looked boring for sure. It didn't take long for him to be brought up to speed on the situation and after he was extracted from his trainer's chest he got to work. Sighing at the thought of being brought out only to be worked like a slave everytime Stacey needed something he caught he's trainer's warm innocent look and smiled. He was just missing the quality time they got to spend together but as her team grew he knew that would be the case.

    Walking forward his eyes glow with a bright light that quickly fills the room spreading further down the corridors. His foresight had his senses tingling and soon he was darting off out of the room and into another as Missy quickly seals it off with her Mean Look. Searching the room with her eyes Stacey grinned as she saw the mischevous Shuppet pouting miserably in a corner after discovering that it could no longer phase through the walls and continue its game of hide and seek.

    Taking his cue Lucius floated forward to give the younger evolution a stern talking to whilst all the time mentally congratulating it on its cunningness. His eyes narrowed dangerously remembering the cheeky litle blow it had given him and demanded that it gave itself up and seeing the large team of powerful Pokemon gathered it made a wise decision. Handing the tablet over to Lucius the Banette grinned wickedly as it floated back over to Stacey proudly. Stacey read over the tablet and saw that it did indeed fit with the others. She jumped a little as Knoll gave his thoughts on its inscription almost forgetting that he was with them. He suggested that these fragments could indicate the Pokemon combination required to enter the inner chambers of Arctosia's Temple. There was still a missing piece to the puzzle and they would never solve it without the last tablet, the one Cubone had run away with.

    Shuppet floated glumly in the background of all the activity and Stacey peered around her Pokemon to stare at it. There was a very good posibility that it knew where Cubone was and she had robbed it of its fun. Approaching the little ghost she bent down to its level and smiled.

    "Hey there, I know we ruined our game and I'm sorry I really am but we desparately needed that tablet. I know your friend Cubone still has one and we cold really use it. Please won't you help us find Cubone, I'll make it worth your while." Pulling her satchel around she grinned at the little ghost.

    "I have a lot of goodies in this bag and I'll treat you to some if you help us. What do you say?"


    ~Stace and Imp. A Perfect Pair~
    FB : PC : DT

  13. #238
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Warily, Shuppet raises its eyes at you; while your offer seems sincere enough it's understandably still annoyed and unhappy at how it was stopped so quickly, and for a moment it doesn't seem that a resolution is possible when Lucius walks over. Gesturing like a salesman gesticulating with a potential customer he whisks Shuppet aside, speaking in encouraging tones while the rest of you watch the banter between possessed dolls. As the seconds pass the voices of Lucius and Shuppet quiet down to shifty murmurs, before both of them steal a glance at you in unison and chuckling madly; you feel the rest of your team join in a collective roll of the eyes.

    "Shup! Shup shuppet!" Suddenly, the horned shroud floats past you and out of the room, quickly followed by the gleeful Lucius. You heave a sigh as you have the distinct impression that more climbing will be involved, but nevertheless you trot after Lucius as the others chip in the chase into the darkened corridor. Watching Lucius round into the staircase you quickly make for the ancient steps, but you barely go past two stairs when your dress catches onto your foot, sending you for a fall against the other rocky steps...

    "Stacey!" "Bliiiiim!"

    Bracing yourself for a tumble, you're surprised to find yourself abruptly suspended like a puppet; the sensation of cloth strips wrapped around your arms. As you are lifted back to standing positions you realise Wilfrid's arms were what saved you from a painful descent, and behind him Knoll and your team rush to your side.

    "I'm sorry, Stacey. This must have tired you out..." Knoll apologises, and yet oddly enough you find your nerves settling just by the man's presence alone. Have you become so comfortable around this person with whom you've come to understand shares more in common with you than you'd ever imagined? His face is almost too close to yours as concern lines his dark eyes, and somehow you're not sure if you mind at all...

    "...but we need to continue. I promise, we'll set up camp right after we look for Cubone."

    Snapped from your hazy trains of thought, you nod at his judgement before continuing up the steps; a soundless gasp as Knoll's hand takes you by the waist and he places your arm across his shoulders, supporting you for the rest of the way up. Ahead on the ground floor, Shuppet bounces in midair as it calls for you before floating upstairs, and Lucius ***** his head with a snarky grin as he follows suit. Feeling a bit of your strength return you beckon towards Knoll, and though some mild worry still clouds his irises he nonetheless lets you go. Together, everyone goes for the upwards stairwell, and another gaggle of climbing later you return to the second storey. Looking around for sight of the two puppets, Missy points as she spies the pair glancing into one of the rooms you haven't had the chance to explore. A pattering of footsteps is heard, sans Missy and Wilfrid's, as the lot of you go towards the room, screeching to a halt as you near when Lucius raises a finger to his zipper at you.

    Looking inside the room from the doorway, you realise that unlike most of the other chamber's you've seen in the House of Arctosia, this room appears to profess an air of peace and calm in spite of the harsh desert conditions. The hooded faces you saw in Xatu's vision line the walls in intricate beauty and detail; their facial inscriptions almost like constellations dancing across a night sky. In the middle of the room, you see Cubone sitting there plaintively, looking up at the gentle countenances with a deep pining in its eye...

    What will you do now?

  14. #239
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Sphinx

    SP-Eevee
    Resolved to finish this one up as soon as possible while Claus is still capable of fighting, you call out a fresh set of orders for your Vulpix, tapping on powers newly unlocked for him. Gritting his teeth, Claus applies the mystical powers known to his foxlike species, releasing a wave of Extrasensory at the incoming Voltorb. Caught thoroughly in the psychic jolt, the Ball Pokémon gives a stunned cry as it flinches; the momentum of its Rollout stopped before it can begin proper.

    Refusing to cut the little Electric-type any slack, Claus goes into his next combination at once, speeding across the floor with his Quick Attack while his mouth burns with the ferocity of his Flamethrower. A brief flicker of electricity surrounds Voltorb before Claus launches a river of fire into it, blazing for a good series of seconds before the flames rise, although a brief glance at Voltorb and its new yellow aura shows that it was able to buffet some of the energy-based damaged with Charge. Bounding towards Claus, Voltorb unleashes its own Spark of genius, boosted by the accumulation of potential it stored earlier. Looks like this little one isn't going down that easily either...


    Looks like the difficulty of this battle was going to be no lower than the last, if the strategies invovled was anything to go by it was going to be alot yough. None the less Claus was able to get in a decent enough hit not to mention stop a rollout which would have caused some serious damage. Though now the electric-type had the advantage in a quicker launch of it's signature element, the two had to tread carefully.

    "Try to trick it with a swift Faint Attack to get in close and blast him with another Flamethrower when you're at a closer range. If he tries to rollout, or any powerful looking electrical attacks give him your best Roar to disrupt his level of confidence. You're not exactly the most threatening looking Pokemon in the world but you're good at acting like it."

    The small vulpine gave a snort at his trainers previous comment but all the same stood his ground, ready to perform the next round of assaults.
    Last edited by SP-Eevee; 21st September 2009 at 9:30 PM.

  15. #240
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Sphinx

    SP-Eevee
    Neither Claus nor Voltorb seems deterred by the damage they're hurling around; indeed, determined to barrage your Vulpix like a homing missile, the Ball Pokémon thunders up another Rollout, headed towards the both of you like a cannon shot. Raising his head, Claus launches a ferocious Roar as angry as he can, and with his natural biological mastery of the technique you feel your skin prickle in slight goosebumps as the chamber boosts the sound attack. However, this doesn't appear to stop Voltorb as it bounces, swiping Claus by his cheek before landing and performing an about turn; a check of the PokéDex informs you that this particular Voltorb must possess the Soundproof ability.

    Tensing, Claus times his movements before poofing in a wisp of darkness as Voltorb arcs at him, and at this the Electric-type screeches to a skidding halt, turning around with an annoyed look. Its irked countenance quickly shuts up, though, as Claus reappears to blast it at close range; a sizzling Flamethrower issuing from the pyrokinetic sacs in his body. A few seconds later the flames lift off Voltorb's silhouetted frame, leaving distinct burn marks in their wake, but the living PokéBall indicates that it's not quite finished yet as it detonates a Sonicboom at Claus, knocking him backwards some...

  16. #241
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    Atlas City

    Emporium Hotel

    Stark
    Against the haunting requiem slowly poisoning your spirit and body, you cry out what you hope to be final commands in the offensive against the vengeful Shadow, before things pass the point of no return. With an equally determined roar Typhlosion accedes to your orders; the crest of fire lining his shoulders exploding in another wave of heat and radiance. Glaring the foe down with renewed ferocity, the Volcano Pokémon dives ahead in a spinning motion, extending his flames to raze across his superheated fur as he thunders at Gengar like a giant, blazing bowling ball. Releasing another screech Gengar fires a storm of Psywave rings from its eyes, but its general state is distinct by the magnitude of its attack; with its originator weakened and injured, the mental barrage wavers in its trajectory before colliding with Typhlosion's Flame Wheel and smashing into smithereens. Like a shooting star Typhlosion crushes his way into Gengar, burning brighter than ever as the flames seem to consume Gengar's force themselves, and you find yourself almost shielding yourself from the intense light and heat pouring forth.

    With pieces of its body like cloth swatches fraying from its form, Gengar at this point barely appears capable of coherent speech or attack capability, but no sympathy is experienced for the pitiful phantom that you know has caused more than enough grief and frustration, to people you've come to know and people you've never known. A towering inferno suddenly rises from where Typhlosion stands, spiralling into a twister as it heightens, and as you find yourself squinting you see Typhlosion grip Gengar in its blazing claws. Force akin to an atomic explosion suddenly thumps you in the chest, knocking you flying as your vision is rendered a crimson collage from Typhlosion's Blast Burn, surrounded by a searing wave of heat that almost threatens to bake your brain; above all this, your last memory is what sounds like a final, unrelenting scream...

    ***

    "Stark?... Stark!... Wake up, Stark!..."

    To the sounds of familiar voices, in addition to fresh ones, hovering over your head in a haze, you execute notable effort in opening your eyes. As you find your senses returning, you note that the sibling duo has gathered around you, in addition to some of the kids, as well as two men whom your realise to be the scientist and ruin maniac from earlier. Pushing yourself from your apparent lying position, you make an attempt to speak, but as Carolina's hand grips your own you meet her eyes in an understanding, but firm glance, that seems to indicate for your temporary silence.

    "Ah, you've finally awoken, young man. Most excellent; we were starting to get most fretful that you wouldn't rouse," coughs the venerable senior, once he's cleared his throat. "I'm certain you've many a question to ask -- indeed, I daresay a number of us likewise have professed similar queries, having been in a not quite conscious state -- but most importantly, we've all made a full recovery, it seems. The same goes for the Pokémon, from what Nurse Joy has elatedly reported."

    "Everything's in bits and pieces. When we awoke, we were strewn in the lift lobby of Emporium Hotel's lift lobby and its surrounding corridors. On the 13th floor," explains Lawrence. "The authorities were quickly alerted, and those who had regained consciousness helped escort you and the others to the Pokémon Centre. Everyone's only had minor cuts and bruises, although you were asleep for quite a while. It seems that the hotel staff have been in a daze themselves; the officers noted that during questioning, they could remember few events clearly since a year ago..."

    "Of course, considering what we were dealing with, it's likely that the Ghost Pokémon utilised Hypnosis and other powers of illusion to carry out their covert operation. The entire floor must have been converted into a realm of darkness, created by Gengar's ability to manipulate shadow; when you attacked with your Pokémon, it helped to weaken their powers and the hold they had on us by reducing the shadows, and by defeating the main Pokémon holding them together it broke the enchantment on the area," offers the scientist. "What I can't fathom is why this happened in the first place..."

    "Hmmmm. I'm sure most of us are aware, but the fact does remain that Atlas used to be but a mere indigenous settlement," suggests the archaeologist. "When the region began undergoing development, it most certainly had some drastic effect on the original ecosystem... in so doing, the lives of the local Pokémon would have been affected in some way."

    "So... the Ghost Pokémon were trying to take back the land?"

    "By any means necessary, it would seem. It's but a hypothesis, although I admit to not being able to think of a better suggestion, given the pieces of the puzzle," the explorer nods. A thin air of silence takes you as you recall Gengar's embittered speech; was this what the master of shadow had meant?

    "In any case. Now that most of the loose ends have been tied up, there are a few things we need to cover separately," the scientist notes as he claps his hands together. "While the police aids the other possesses in relocating their origins, we must continue our local projects... Mr. Lawrence, would you and your sister mind coming with us for a moment? We have a rather pressing matter which we need to discuss with you..."

    ***

    A restful afternoon passes, dotted with occasions where the orphaned children and Pokémon came by your bed in gaggles to offer their well wishes, and in spite of your bed rest the surreal nature of the experience has you still somewhat dazed; a fraction of your mind still can't quite grapple with how things turned so bizarre and dangerous, while another portion vaguely recalls the last interjection from Gengar in that crucial battle. How much time had passed -- little more than 36 hours, perhaps? Looking to your side you proudly note the PokéBalls lining your belt, with a gentle warmth of reassurance as you note Houndour's occupied orb. You remember what Nurse Joy had said as she returned your recovered team: for what Houndour had gone through, it seems that she had gone up a level, according to the healing mechanisms. Rising from your seat in the reception area, you wonder where Lawrence and the orphans have gone; in the last two hours since the last few of the children came to visit, you don't recall seeing them. Noting the sight of the setting sun, you feel that in any event, your exploration in Atlas City has come to its apparent resolution; albeit, a wistful mental glance of the cheery, bubbly Carolina and her adoptive family leaves you briefly wishing you had more time to enjoy their company, to see them grow as a close-knit group.

    Taking a step out of the Pokémon Centre, you take in the bustling sights of Atlas' kinder side, but this time you have a strange, knowing impression that something has lifted from the city like a fog. Perhaps it was the experience of seeing how everyone banded together, or maybe it was the exorcism of Gengar's plague upon the community, but you feel a general sense of uplifting; a glimmer of optimism and promise...

    "Stark! Wait up!" With your head turning at almost cracking reflexes, you see a familiar person running towards you. Panting briefly as she catches her breath, Carolina hurriedly tosses her beautiful ponytail behind before looking you in the eye.

    "I was afraid you might have left, but I needed to talk to you. During the time we met with Professor Herton and his assistant Alvin, he expressed concern that people were still living in the slums -- he wouldn't accept that while the world of Atlas carried out research and development, the children were still living in such squalid conditions... so, he's invited Lawrence and me to start a new initiative, to bring people out of the slums and redevelop them!" Carolina beams, and you can tell from the sparkle in her eyes this must be the happiest she's ever been. "Lawrence and I are going to aid him closely in administration, and for starters, we're going to provide the children with adequate food, shelter, clothing, education..." As Carolina begins to sniffle a little, you remember the dilapidated shophouse that was home for her, Lawrence, as well as the group of children... as far as you know, this can't have happened to a kinder individual.

    "So I came to let you know, we're going to be alright. Lawrence said that he needed to get a lot of work done, helping the kids and everything as fast as possible, so he couldn't come... but he did tell me to give you these." Catching your hand in her soft fingers, Carolina places a sphere and a slip of paper in your palm. "It's a Ghost Ball. For some reason, we found this lying next to you when you came to; we took it in case it meant anything, but we decided that once you woke up we would give it to you, and things happened so fast... And this is a Spell Tag, I think. It came inside the Ghost Ball; Alvin mentioned it might have been used to help focus the power of the Ghost Pokémon..."

    Gripping the items, you find yourself meeting Carolina's deep gaze again, half losing yourself in those eyes of hers. Compared to your first impression of her -- a bit of a teasing flirt, a beautiful nymph -- without the Gastly inside her, this must be Carolina's true personality; a caring, loving young woman with a little tendency to get flustered.

    "And... y'know, now that I'm going to be working full-time with Professor Herton, I don't think I'll be going back to my job as a tour guide... It's a shame I couldn't take you on the dream tour you wanted, mm?" she murmurs, partly stammering as she fiddles with her fingers; indeed, you remember that she did mention having memories of what happened even when she was being controlled. "Stark, you... Lawrence told me how you risked everything for us. Even when things seemed their bleakest, if it wasn't for you, I... we..." Another sparkle glints across her eyes; is it you, or has she closed the distance between your faces without you noticing?

    "..."

    Before you realise it, a pair of arms have thrown themselves around your shoulders as Carolina leans forward, gracing your lips with her own as she kisses you; softly sincere and emotional unlike the light, teasing peck she had given you. Feeling her part away, you have an idea that time must have stopped for the few seconds of Carolina's gesture, and while you feel your face burn along with her distinct blush, her look of immense gratitude and regret at having to see you go put any other awkwardities to rest.

    "We'll never forget what you've done for us, Stark."

    Left with a final whisper, somehow sounding above the noisy ambience of the city, you watch Carolina's fleeting figure as she disappears back into her world; a world now warmer and happier thanks to your interventions. Reflexively brushing your face with a stray finger, a sense of reassurance echoes in you -- you've had a memorable adventure, come out stronger from it, and now you've new memories of people you've come to know, and love...

    Note: With the closing of Stark's adventure in Atlas City, you are now free to leave the Lost Cities of Talas. Hopefully, you've walked away from this adventure with enjoyment in its continuation, and above all, it's been a pleasure updating for you and your team.
    *end transmission*

    OOC:Collecting Ghost Ball, Spell Tag, and 1 Level for Houndour. Thanks again for a fantastic adventure. I look forward to writing with you again in the future.


    A scream. The heat. The fiery explosion.The last memories of his encounter with the Gengar who had caused so much turmoil in Atlas City quickly rushed back to him like the recap of a TV show. Stark awoke in bed to the sound of children. A smile crossed his face just knowing that they were safe. While he wanted to speak he found his voice was one thing that hadn't quite woke up yet. Not that it mattered. Carolina's soft hand on his and the caring gaze she gave him comforted him enough to know that he didn't need to speak. He just needed to look and listen to know that everything had worked out.

    Explanations began drawing Stark's attention to the history of what had happened. From all understanding the ghosts had been disturbed by the city itself and decided to lash out at Atlas in the only way they knew how. It was a terrible thing to know that the souls of those pokémon were unable to rest in peace. Stark could only hope that by his actions they might yet be able to find some peace in their afterlives. Even if they could not, at least the citizens of Atlas would be able to live out their lives without the horrors visited upon them by the 13th floor dwellers. For know he would be content with that knowledge.

    With the loose ends tied up, the trainer found himself alone again as his body still refused to cooperate the way it was supposed to. Well, not necessarily alone. There were the unexpected visits from the orphans and of course Nurse Joy. All things considered, he felt at peace. Relaxed. Though some of what had happened remained a blur, he felt that deep down he had done some good while he was here. If anything he had reunited a family and nothing was more important than that. He glanced over at Houndour's pokéball letting a sense of relief wash over him. The puppy had been through a lot. Somehow he would have to make it up to her. Someday.

    Eventually, day turned into night and Stark had finally found himself well enough to leave. A comforting thought considering he didn't exactly have a fondness for feeling helpless. Throwing on his white shirt, blue jeans, brown hiking boots and brown leather jacket he made his way to the lobby to check out. The waiting room was busy enough. Trainers and their pokémon scattered throughout taking well deserved reprieves from their own journeys. Stark had to smirk as the question of what kind of trials these other trainers might have had to endure flit through his head. Still, disappointment began to set in. He had hoped that he would get to see Carolina, Lawrence and the kids one last time. Then again, after all that they had been through he couldn't blame them for being busy.

    Stepping outside, he took in the fresh air of Atlas City. Something seemed different. No longer did the city feel as dark and depressing as he had found it to be while wandering it's streets. Instead he sensed what he could only define as hope coursing through the city. Perhaps it was due to Gengar's defeat, perhaps something else. Whatever the case, he was happy. His work was done and as much as he would have liked to stay, he couldn't. Not when there was still so much to do.

    "Stark! Wait up!" the voice cut through the air as if it were the only sound in the world. Carolina had come to see him off. For a moment he almost started to tear up. The woman had made such an impression on him in their short time together. Even under Gengar's influence, he had developed an affection for her that he wasn't sure what it meant. All he knew was that he was thrilled to see her.

    "I was afraid you might have left, but I needed to talk to you. During the time we met with Professor Herton and his assistant Alvin, he expressed concern that people were still living in the slums -- he wouldn't accept that while the world of Atlas carried out research and development, the children were still living in such squalid conditions... so, he's invited Lawrence and me to start a new initiative, to bring people out of the slums and redevelop them!" She said, ""Lawrence and I are going to aid him closely in administration, and for starters, we're going to provide the children with adequate food, shelter, clothing, education..."

    "That's great. I can't think of anyone more deserving," Stark comforted in an attempt to fill the void left from Carolina nearly breaking down into tears of joy.

    "So I came to let you know, we're going to be alright." The words washed over him like a warm ray of sunshine bringing a smile to his face even as she handed him a couple of gifts left over from their encounter with Gengar. His eyes soon locked with hers and somehow the distance between them had closed. Everything fell silent and for a moment it seemed as if there was nothing else in the world than her beautiful eyes. He regretted that they would not be able to travel together, but with everything that had happened, he knew her place was here.

    "Stark, you... Lawrence told me how you risked everything for us. Even when things seemed their bleakest, if it wasn't for you, I... we..."

    Before the trainer could respond he found himself tied in an embrace he could live forever in. Her soft lips combined with emotion sent a sensation of comfort through him that he could only hope he was able to reciprocate half as well. From the first moment he met her he had been enamored with her. Now that she was in his arms he felt the temptation to give up everything to stay with her by her side.

    "We'll never forget what you've done for us, Stark."

    "And I'll never forget you," Stark quietly said as he watched her head off into the city streets knowing that one day he would return to see her again. Once she had disappeared out of sight, he turned and looked out over the city streets taking a deep breath and putting one foot in front of the other on his way to new and exciting adventures.

  17. #242
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In Imaginary Sin and Bliss
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Warily, Shuppet raises its eyes at you; while your offer seems sincere enough it's understandably still annoyed and unhappy at how it was stopped so quickly, and for a moment it doesn't seem that a resolution is possible when Lucius walks over. Gesturing like a salesman gesticulating with a potential customer he whisks Shuppet aside, speaking in encouraging tones while the rest of you watch the banter between possessed dolls. As the seconds pass the voices of Lucius and Shuppet quiet down to shifty murmurs, before both of them steal a glance at you in unison and chuckling madly; you feel the rest of your team join in a collective roll of the eyes.

    "Shup! Shup shuppet!" Suddenly, the horned shroud floats past you and out of the room, quickly followed by the gleeful Lucius. You heave a sigh as you have the distinct impression that more climbing will be involved, but nevertheless you trot after Lucius as the others chip in the chase into the darkened corridor. Watching Lucius round into the staircase you quickly make for the ancient steps, but you barely go past two stairs when your dress catches onto your foot, sending you for a fall against the other rocky steps...

    "Stacey!" "Bliiiiim!"

    Bracing yourself for a tumble, you're surprised to find yourself abruptly suspended like a puppet; the sensation of cloth strips wrapped around your arms. As you are lifted back to standing positions you realise Wilfrid's arms were what saved you from a painful descent, and behind him Knoll and your team rush to your side.

    "I'm sorry, Stacey. This must have tired you out..." Knoll apologises, and yet oddly enough you find your nerves settling just by the man's presence alone. Have you become so comfortable around this person with whom you've come to understand shares more in common with you than you'd ever imagined? His face is almost too close to yours as concern lines his dark eyes, and somehow you're not sure if you mind at all...

    "...but we need to continue. I promise, we'll set up camp right after we look for Cubone."

    Snapped from your hazy trains of thought, you nod at his judgement before continuing up the steps; a soundless gasp as Knoll's hand takes you by the waist and he places your arm across his shoulders, supporting you for the rest of the way up. Ahead on the ground floor, Shuppet bounces in midair as it calls for you before floating upstairs, and Lucius ***** his head with a snarky grin as he follows suit. Feeling a bit of your strength return you beckon towards Knoll, and though some mild worry still clouds his irises he nonetheless lets you go. Together, everyone goes for the upwards stairwell, and another gaggle of climbing later you return to the second storey. Looking around for sight of the two puppets, Missy points as she spies the pair glancing into one of the rooms you haven't had the chance to explore. A pattering of footsteps is heard, sans Missy and Wilfrid's, as the lot of you go towards the room, screeching to a halt as you near when Lucius raises a finger to his zipper at you.

    Looking inside the room from the doorway, you realise that unlike most of the other chamber's you've seen in the House of Arctosia, this room appears to profess an air of peace and calm in spite of the harsh desert conditions. The hooded faces you saw in Xatu's vision line the walls in intricate beauty and detail; their facial inscriptions almost like constellations dancing across a night sky. In the middle of the room, you see Cubone sitting there plaintively, looking up at the gentle countenances with a deep pining in its eye...

    What will you do now?
    Stacey frowned a little when she realised that Shuppet didn't seem as keen as her in her little deal. It still seemed a little miffed that its game had ended before it could really get into it. The little phantom stares at her not giving her an answer and she begins to worry that she was going to be there all night and still be no closer to Cubon when Lucus decided to intervene. He floated over patting his trainer on the arm as if to reassure her before whisking Shuppet away gesturing like a salesman trying to convince the buyer to part with their precious cash. Soon they begin to whsper to one another no longer a one sided conversation but more like a conspiracy as they swapped shifty looks. They suddenly stop their whispering and turn to look at the young woman waiting anxiously for a result, cackling wickedly and all around her those familiar with Lucius's behaviour rolled their eyes.

    All of a sudden there was a flurry of activity as Shuppet foated off out of the room Lucius following behind with a gleeful grin across his zipper mouth. It took Stacey a moment to realise that the hunt was on and she swiftly followed and stopped before the staircase sighing deeply as her body moaned in protest at the mere thought of more climbing. Lucius was eagerly floating up the ancient steps and Stacey didn't want to lose sight of him so took at the steps with vigor but before she could reach any higher than the first few she tripped on her dress and found herself falling forwad putting her hands out to try and break her fall. She heard her name being called and the cry of Wilfred but closed her eyes ready for the embarrassing impact that was to follow. When the pain didn't come she opened her eyes to see purple strips wrapped around her arms suspending her mid-fall. Pulled back into a standing position she gingerly turned around to thank Wilfred for the assist. It was then that she realised how close Knoll was to her and felt her heart flutter faster, how was he having this effect on her?
    "I'm sorry, Stacey. This must have tired you out..." he said as his face drew close to hers and a pink tinge flushed across her cheeks. She could feel his warming breath on her neck and the touch of his hand on her arm sending tingles down her skin. Before she could speak he continued his sentence.

    "...but we need to continue. I promise, we'll set up camp right after we look for Cubone." Regaining her composure she found her voice returned as well.

    “I am a little tired but we all are, I’m just clumsy. But yes you are right we must press on. Lucius, Shuppet lead the way again please,” she said as the two ghosts floated up the steps. Not noticed by Stacey but seen by Missy was the look of anger and distain across her Sableye’s face at how close the two humans were. She was his, who was this stranger that was making her all wobbly and sensitive, it as not like her to trust someone so willingly and he recalled what happened the last time that occurred. Was she throwing away her common sense all in the thrall of emotions? His eyes narrowed dangerously as Knoll placed his arms around his mistress’s waist and supported her up the stairs. Missy stared after him with concern hoping he wouldn’t do something stupid as they moved up the stairs.

    Shuppet stopped on the ground floor momentarily bouncing happily as everyone caught up and floated up to the first floor Lucius smirking proudly and following closely.

    “I think I’ll be alright now, but thank you,” Stacey said as Knoll looked at her with concern but slowly let her go. Impish rushed past him sticking his tongue out cheekily jumping onto her shoulder causing Stacey to smile and stroke his head as they moved up the second set of stairs. Eve waved happily to the Sableye from her position in Stacey’s arms as they climbed the steps and soon were walking the familiar corridors once again. Missy points out the pair of puppets peering into a new room and the group hastily make their way over to them as Lucius silences them with his finger to his zipper. Slowing their approach Stacey peered into the room, it was one the one in her vision with the intricate faces painted across the walls. Sat in the middle of the room was Cubone who stared at the ceiling which painted by yet more faces looking almost lost, a deep longing in its eyes. Stacey wondered how best to approach the young bone Pokemon, it was in such a deep thought she didn’t want to startle it. She ushered Lucius and Shuppet back and told Impish to keep quiet on her shoulder, the Sableye running a finger across his lips to show he got the point. The best thing she could think of was to have someone young and innocent approach the Cubone, someone unthreatening rather than a gang of people and Pokemon. Looking down at her youngest Pokemon she smiled as an idea came to her.

    “Eve honey, would you go and talk to Cubone and find out why it’s so sad? Also let it know that we really need the tablet it holds and mean it no harm.” Eve looked up at the young woman with her soft blue eyes and nodded smiling brightly. Stacey let her down gently on the ground and she softly toddled over to Cubone plopping her bum down on the ground looking up at the ceiling in a mirror before engaging it in conversation.
    Last edited by Arc_Angel; 27th September 2009 at 10:52 AM.


    ~Stace and Imp. A Perfect Pair~
    FB : PC : DT

  18. #243
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Least affirmed of this puzzle out of everything you've had to face so far, you nevertheless arrange the numerous square tiles laid in front of you into their respective slots as indicated by your PokéDex. Below you, Piplup puts its flippers to its beak in uneasy anticipation while Beaker clicks her pincers impatiently, and you can't help but wonder if she's lost her interest in your spelunking-rescue operation expedition. As the final piece slides into its place, however, an instantaneous pulse of light rises up the layout, from 131 up to 456, and as the column bursts with brilliance you briefly shield your eyes. When you're certain the light has faded enough you put down your hands, and to your surprise where the line of tiles had been on the pedestal a small rectangular alcove, long as the object it holds, reveals itself to your eyes; a glinting, golden object within it. Picking up the item you find yourself looking at a gleaming key: its lower end bearing four odd shaped protrusions almost in resemblance to a stick figure human, while its handle displays a pair of tiny sapphires like eyes. Above the depression that held the key you find that the words have magically altered:

    "Bearer of the body, blessings smile upon you. Tarry not in your quest; seek the other keys, uniting them as one in the centre."

    It looks like you'll have to make your way across the enchanted pool again. What will you do now?
    Dusting off the tiles with his sleeve like some sort of underprepared archaeologist, the boy scrambled backward and took a vacant look at the numbered tiles. He messed about with the angle of his head, ensuring each of the peices was perfectly aligned with a reaction soon to occur regardless of his plucky guess. A fog of worry closed in on the three, downing them with hesitation knowing full well there where several ways the ancient transcript could’ve been misinterpreted. Wes fell silent, the echoing of Beaker’s clicking about the only noise still breaking what would be a distinct silence. Suddenly! The gliths suddenly burst into a golden blush, causing Wes to squint slightly as his pupils dilated. As flash of light settled to a dim glow, Wes shyly lowered his cuffs, looking forward at what had become of the rectangular alcove. A small trinket protruded from its face, causing the boy to gaze in awe, barely able to push his feet into movement with excitement. Carefully, Wes extended his arm, slowly stroking the golden key with his fingers and gently grasping it. Despite all the signs of ancient Egyptian ancestry, Wes got a felt as though its design was strikingly similar to Aztec forgery. Wes grinned widely as the sapphire eyes edged on the handle of the stick glittered in his view. He felt as though he could gaze at the key for days, but there where far more pressing matters. It was just a key, and there where three more waiting which they’d need to track down.

    "Bearer of the body, blessings smile upon you. Tarry not in your quest; seek the other keys, uniting them as one in the centre.”

    “I’ll keep my tarrying to a low”, Wes smiled, casually leading the way for Beaker to follow
    Last edited by Emp; 1st October 2009 at 12:07 AM.

  19. #244
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    466

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post

    The Sphinx

    SP-Eevee
    Neither Claus nor Voltorb seems deterred by the damage they're hurling around; indeed, determined to barrage your Vulpix like a homing missile, the Ball Pokémon thunders up another Rollout, headed towards the both of you like a cannon shot. Raising his head, Claus launches a ferocious Roar as angry as he can, and with his natural biological mastery of the technique you feel your skin prickle in slight goosebumps as the chamber boosts the sound attack. However, this doesn't appear to stop Voltorb as it bounces, swiping Claus by his cheek before landing and performing an about turn; a check of the PokéDex informs you that this particular Voltorb must possess the Soundproof ability.

    Tensing, Claus times his movements before poofing in a wisp of darkness as Voltorb arcs at him, and at this the Electric-type screeches to a skidding halt, turning around with an annoyed look. Its irked countenance quickly shuts up, though, as Claus reappears to blast it at close range; a sizzling Flamethrower issuing from the pyrokinetic sacs in his body. A few seconds later the flames lift off Voltorb's silhouetted frame, leaving distinct burn marks in their wake, but the living PokéBall indicates that it's not quite finished yet as it detonates a Sonicboom at Claus, knocking him backwards some...
    "Y-you Ok?" the girl stuttered, caught by surprise at the sudden burst of wind coming from the small sphere-like Pokemon. Grunting, the small vulpes got to his feet once more, eyes narrowed but the slowly building amount og damage he was taking was more than apparent. It was far too early to give up quite yet and she knew for a fact her plan of energy conservation wasn't going too well, they had to finish this match as quickly as possible so Claus could recieve a well earned break.

    "I need you to hand tight there for just a bit more," the blond said firmly, an uncharacterist amount of determination present in her voice. "Right, try your best to smash into him with a Quick Attack and go straight into Return. Take it easy now and spray some Embers his way." Hopefully these attacks would be enough to finish the orb off, even so she had her doubts.

  20. #245
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Sphinx

    SP-Eevee
    With an expression mirroring that of your own face, Claus' body seizes up once again in combat preparation, ready to bring down the annoying Electric once and for all. Tapping into a brief burst of speed, the six-tailed fox goes into a Quick Attack besides Voltorb, and before the living PokéBall can react Claus has slammed into it for a full-bodied Return. The high standards of Claus' bringing-up is clear as the physical technique resounds against Voltorb's hard body, knocking it across the ground like a cue ball. Sparks begin dancing dangerously across Voltorb's surface as it almost looks on the verge of an explosion, but to your immediate and immense relief just a few puffs of smoke pop out from where Voltorb is; as the translucent wisps of gas fade Voltorb is seen, barely wobbling on the ground with its eyes closed in relenting defeat, looking almost pitiful. Snorting, Claus paws his way over to the door which slides open much like the last one did, leaving you to follow your Vulpix into the chamber ahead.

    In less time than it takes to tell, you find yourself standing ahead of yet another door similar to the ones you've had to face so far; at this, you can't help but wonder if you've fallen into some recurring pattern by your trip into the Sphinx's depths. Studying this set of mysterious symbols, you notice that in addition to a series of numerical groups, a glyph of what appears to be a smaller circle centred in a much larger circle is marked above an arrow pointing towards the right. Feeling there must be some significance, you peer down at the rows of numbers and markings:

    84 > 86
    29 < 79
    13 > 09 > 03
    24 < 26 < 40
    91 < 55 > 22
    35 > 81 < 23
    74 ? 72 ? 59

    Looking down expectantly, you spot a collection of four tiles: two each of the ">" and "<" symbols. But do you know which symbols go in the gaps left by the question marks?


    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Not wanting to jeopardise any chances of reaching out to Cubone, you decide that sending in one of your youngest team members is likely the best course of action. For the most part, Cubone doesn't even notice Eve's entrance, only looking over with a startled look in its eye at her presence. For a moment you bite your lip hoping that you haven't made the wrong decision, but as the seconds pass and Cubone doesn't make any sudden movements you feel yourself relax. From the doorway you hear the soft sounds of Cubone and Eve chatting away, and at one point you see Cubone gesture towards the painted wall with its bone, nodding sadly as Eve reciprocates in understanding.

    "I see. Cubone's often known as the Lonely Pokémon; it shares strong affinities for family and friends it knew. For whatever reason, it was left behind to pine for these people whose faces were etched on the wall," muses Knoll, and to your surprise Shuppet whizzes about his head, giving a nod in the affirmative. While Eve and Cubone continue talking, the Ground-type suddenly patters over to one far corner of the room, past the range of your available stroboscopic vision, returning to Eve's side with what looks like an old chest; the sort you'd expect to find holding treasure. Intently, the group of you looks on as Cubone opens the chest, bringing out a series of items for its newfound friend -- a pile of folded cloth, a necklace of beads barely holding onto its fraying string, several bones you can only guess had their own grisly tales to tell.

    "A Marowak skull. So it's true; they do keep the bones as keepsakes," Knoll reasons, as Cubone places the cranial structure in the little circle of memorabilia, followed by a few jewels that have long since lost their glow, a wooden sculpture of a strange feline creature, and...

    "That's...!" As both you and your travelling partner recognise the piece of tablet, Lucius and Impish frown in concern. "I see now. You couldn't simply bear to take the tablet from Cubone like that. It means something special to Cubone, doesn't it?" At Knoll's accurate hitting of the nail on its head, Shuppet can only sigh in admission. Feeling a tug at your dress, you peer down to see Eve looking up at you sadly; glancing back at Cubone, the skull-clad Pokémon had resigned itself to looking at its treasures forlornly. Clearly Eve doesn't have the heart to simply steal away the tablet from Cubone.

    "I don't like to do this, but unless we have that tablet we can't possibly advance," sighs Knoll, wringing his fingers in mild frustrated thought. "The closest thing we might be able to do is to have Eve offer Cubone an item for trade, I would guess... but what would remind Cubone of its past the most? Do we have such a thing; a symbol, an insignia of one, perhaps?"

    What will you do now?

  21. #246
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    In Imaginary Sin and Bliss
    Posts
    2,643

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Not wanting to jeopardise any chances of reaching out to Cubone, you decide that sending in one of your youngest team members is likely the best course of action. For the most part, Cubone doesn't even notice Eve's entrance, only looking over with a startled look in its eye at her presence. For a moment you bite your lip hoping that you haven't made the wrong decision, but as the seconds pass and Cubone doesn't make any sudden movements you feel yourself relax. From the doorway you hear the soft sounds of Cubone and Eve chatting away, and at one point you see Cubone gesture towards the painted wall with its bone, nodding sadly as Eve reciprocates in understanding.

    "I see. Cubone's often known as the Lonely Pokémon; it shares strong affinities for family and friends it knew. For whatever reason, it was left behind to pine for these people whose faces were etched on the wall," muses Knoll, and to your surprise Shuppet whizzes about his head, giving a nod in the affirmative. While Eve and Cubone continue talking, the Ground-type suddenly patters over to one far corner of the room, past the range of your available stroboscopic vision, returning to Eve's side with what looks like an old chest; the sort you'd expect to find holding treasure. Intently, the group of you looks on as Cubone opens the chest, bringing out a series of items for its newfound friend -- a pile of folded cloth, a necklace of beads barely holding onto its fraying string, several bones you can only guess had their own grisly tales to tell.

    "A Marowak skull. So it's true; they do keep the bones as keepsakes," Knoll reasons, as Cubone places the cranial structure in the little circle of memorabilia, followed by a few jewels that have long since lost their glow, a wooden sculpture of a strange feline creature, and...

    "That's...!" As both you and your travelling partner recognise the piece of tablet, Lucius and Impish frown in concern. "I see now. You couldn't simply bear to take the tablet from Cubone like that. It means something special to Cubone, doesn't it?" At Knoll's accurate hitting of the nail on its head, Shuppet can only sigh in admission. Feeling a tug at your dress, you peer down to see Eve looking up at you sadly; glancing back at Cubone, the skull-clad Pokémon had resigned itself to looking at its treasures forlornly. Clearly Eve doesn't have the heart to simply steal away the tablet from Cubone.

    "I don't like to do this, but unless we have that tablet we can't possibly advance," sighs Knoll, wringing his fingers in mild frustrated thought. "The closest thing we might be able to do is to have Eve offer Cubone an item for trade, I would guess... but what would remind Cubone of its past the most? Do we have such a thing; a symbol, an insignia of one, perhaps?"

    What will you do now?
    Stacey held the hoard of people and Pokemon back so as to not startle the young Cubone. Eve was set on the ground and with a bright smile she toddled towards the lonely Pokemon plopping her bottom on the ground and staring at the ground as her comrades waited with baited breath. Cubone doesn't notice approach only turns to give her a stratled look as she sat close to it. Stacey felt the breath cathcin her throat as the two Pokemon stared at one another wondering if she made the right choice, if Cubone left now they'd have to hunt it down all over again. It keeps on staring but doesn't make any moves to leave so Stacey breathes again and relaxes slightly back into Knoll feeling a blush creep across her cheeks at his closeness. Eve and Cubone talk quitely amongst themselves and Stacey is left to wonder what they were talking about. As Cubone points to the painted walls Eve gathers a sympathetic look on her face and nods and Knoll speaks in her ear making her neck tingle.

    "I see. Cubone's often known as the Lonely Pokémon; it shares strong affinities for family and friends it knew. For whatever reason, it was left behind to pine for these people whose faces were etched on the wall," Knoll muses and Shuppet nods along to confirm his musings. Stacey felt empathy for Cubone, to have such a nature ingrained into you, left to be alone with only your memories of those you loved and lost, it must be so saddening. It was then she took Impish in her arms replacing the hole when Eve was and holding him tight as he nuzzled at her collarbone affectionately. She was glad she was with her friends right now.

    Eve and Cubone continued their conversation and at one point Cubone walked to the far end of the look leaving a quizical look on the Snorunts face before returning pushing a chest along. Everyone gathered seemed to be curious and inched closer to the doorway causing Stacey to give them a warning glare not wanting to disturb the rapore Eve had with Cubone. The little ground type started pulling out an assortment of items and displaying them for Eve to see: a pile of folded cloth, a necklace of beads on frayed string, several bones including a skull similar to the one it wore. Stacey wondered what a Cubone looked like without its skull. It seemed a little morbid to wear the skull of one you loved permenantly over your eyes but she supposed it made them feel that part of their family was with them always.

    Other items swiflty followed along with the Marrowak skull, a set of dull jewels, a wooden sculpture of what looked like a cat of some sort and ... teh tablet! Both Stacey and Knoll spoke at the same time upon spotting the treasure they were searching for. Now they understood why it was so quick to hide it, it was a personal memory treasure for Cubone, it couldn't give it up so easily. Shuppet sighed, as if that fact was so clear and these silly humans took forever to see it. How could they possibly take something so precious from the child? Stacey felt a tug on her dress and looked down to see Eve wit her little arm on the material looking up at her with sad eyes. Whatever they had talked about had really touched the little snow hat and she looked back to Cubone who was sighing deeply whilst looking at its pile of oddities, its memories.

    "Don't worry Evie, I wouldn't ask you to take the tablet away from Cubone, it wouldn't be right," Stacey said putting Eve's mind at rest.

    "I don't like to do this, but unless we have that tablet we can't possibly advance. Knoll sighed and Stacey bit her lip runnning her hand through her hair as she stared at the little Cubone. Knoll was right but she couldn't take the tablet from Cubone, it was wrong!

    "The closest thing we might be able to do is to have Eve offer Cubone an item for trade, I would guess... but what would remind Cubone of its past the most? Do we have such a thing; a symbol, an insignia of one, perhaps?"

    An item for trade? What could she possibly have that Cubone might want for something so precious? Stacey wracked her mind over her inventory trying to place an item to the lonely one. She drew a blank and sighed feeling tired, emotionally and physically. Today had not been easy on any of them and they seemed to hit hurdle after hurdle, and they were getting bigger. What if they never found something to trade? She could never steal the item, Eve would never forgive her and wouldn't jeapordise her relationship with her babeh. Imp was sat in her arms and saw his trainers look of distress and wondered how to help her. Maybe a game, they hadn't played together in ages!

    He jumped off her and began rooting through her bag as Stacey whispered in protest. Suddenly he pulled out a deck of cards from a sealed pocked in her bag and Stacey frowned as he held out the inappropriate items.

    "Impish now is not a time to ...," her eyes widened as the metaphoric light bulb flashed above her head. Taking the cards from him she began to root through them before singling one out and holding it out.

    "Impish, you're brilliant at times," she praised and he beamed nodding proudly even though his intention was anything but helpful.

    "Knoll, what about if we try this," she said holding out a Cubone Trading Card. Impish and I used to play this game all the time and this one features a Cubone on it, maybe it would be enough to remind it of its past. It looks very much like this one with the same forelorn look"

    Bending down to Eve she handed her the card,

    "See if Cubone would be willing to trade us the stone tablet for this Cubone Card." Eve nodded and toddle back over to Cubone card in hand.


    ~Stace and Imp. A Perfect Pair~
    FB : PC : DT

  22. #247
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    After a much-mulled, well-thought plan, you make your harrowed way over to the opposite bank on the magical pool as Piplup and Beaker follow. The repetitive task of walking about appears to be taking its toll on Piplup's little feet, having had a sinisterly untold experience of its own you can only guess at in the recent past, while Beaker is between bemused, irritated and dissatisfied all at the same time. With another flight of steps into the darkness you begin the scaling process, but unlike the chamber of Quiraisu you're surprised to see this one opens up to sizeable dimensions; the boundaries of a standard battlefield marked out clearly on the wide floor in front of you. Ahead, a humongous sculpted motif of a Relicanth stands on the far side of the arena. Looking about in awe you spot a raised plaque much like the one you saw earlier:

    "Cespis the Fish, the Keeper of the Mind

    Even in adversity the mind must reign above the soul and body, in order to safeguard against those that wish to threaten the welfare of the self.
    "

    Almost as though it sensed your presence and attention, the lower jaw of the Relicanth head starts to lower with a loud, grating noise that makes the three of you jump, and while you cautiously walk to what seems to be the challenger box the clay mandible knocks against the ground in a crashing rumble. You hear a whirring sound faintly from within Relicanth; soon after you spot a teal and red Pok&#233;Ball fly out from the open mouth, landing on the other side of the arena with a tap. Opening in a flash of white, the energy forms itself into a pink biped you vaguely remember encountering; its neck lined with a respectable striped ruff and a crown-like shell formation on its head.

    "Slowking!" Stepping forth, the Royal Pok&#233;mon gallantly extends a hand towards you, as though beckoning to you for the first move...


    The Lost City of Rebus

    The House of Arctosia

    Arc_Angel
    Once again left with you to suggest a solution to the impasse, Knoll's face takes on another thoughtful turn, but a moment later he gives his reassuring smile, indication of him trusting your judgement. Smiling back at him, you give Eve the card and she totters over to Cubone with the offering in her tiny spherical hands and you watch as she stops near the Ground-type with your heart in your mouth and your teeth biting your lower lip; a distinct sense of dreaded affirmation that if this doesn't work, nothing else will. Speaking in hushed tones, Eve presents the trading card to Cubone, and at once you see its armoured face light up in amazement. For a moment you're surprised at how enthralled Cubone seems to be, but considering that the only medium its known is stone, ink and paper might be understandably fascinating to the indigenous Pok&#233;mon.

    "Shshshi?" Pointing down to the tablet you've been looking for, Eve meets Cubone's gaze earnestly, conveying your request to the little bone-wielder. Moments seem to drag on like minutes as you wait; knuckles almost whitened in anticipation, as though drawing breath would break the fragile silence of waiting. Much to your relief, Cubone graciously picks up the tablet, giving it to its newfound friend and taking the card in exchange, holding the item in its hands with the same captivated awe. Yipping happily, Eve gives Cubone a thankful hug which Cubone reciprocates, before scampering over the floor and rounding out of the doorway to your waiting arms. Catching both Impish and Eve in an embrace for a job well done, you spin them happily around while the others voice their (albeit whispered) approval, and placing them down you read the final piece of the puzzle on the tablet:

    "One who can carry the burden of others as its own, but remains at mercy of the wind."

    "Well, that's that I guess," heaves Knoll. "Now we should really set up camp; it's certainly only going to get tougher from now on."

    ***

    With a blanket snugly tucked around you, you cradle the sleeping Eve as you watch another friendly campfire flicker in front of you; Knoll having earlier professed his wish to retire early and now in his tent while you and your Pok&#233;mon enjoy the night. Missy and Wilfrid have once again taken to higher grounds in conversation while Lucius matches Shuppet over a game of your trading cards; the puppet Pok&#233;mon likewise intrigued by the fascinating slips of paper -- although you half suspect it's hanging around between not having been given a peace offering of its own, and its own interest with your Banette. Every now and then you notice what might be a blush flicker across its dark complexion; could it be a female Shuppet that had you flustered and running everywhere? Next you Impish stands guard, flashing cautious glares everywhere; a majority of them at Knoll's tent and you find yourself wondering. Was Impish being overprotective after not being active for quite a while or was there something the Sableye had sensed and you hadn't?

    Stretching your shoulders and neck you work out the accumulated tension; while you hadn't had the need to battle today the punishment on your body hasn't been any less if not more. Although you've not had the luxury to put together the pieces, you're not particularly worried; it's a bridge you'll certainly cross when you get there in the end. Bringing out the other, complete tablet you've found today, you look over the writings on Arctosia when, in a random act, you flip the stone over and discover to your surprise that another page of text lines the back of the tablet:


    "It is difficult to identify accounts and sightings explicitly depicting Arctosia, since the Goddess of Mystery never leaves behind an indisputably definite pattern; the only factor identifying her traces is, in fact and irony, the lack of distinct unified characteristics of Rebusian phenomena. The currently, most widely accepted hypothesis is that Arctosia can either assume a multitude of forms, utilising a vast variety of powers, or simply has a delegation of numerous avatars and minor deities to do her bidding. Perhaps it is this that further lends to her mysterious modus operandi of neither swaying towards the extremes of blessings or destruction."


    You've got a night ahead of you, and with your interest and passion for adventure reignited by this enigma, you do have the opportunity now to try solving some of these riddles for yourself and tie some of the loose ends together...

  23. #248
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    After a much-mulled, well-thought plan, you make your harrowed way over to the opposite bank on the magical pool as Piplup and Beaker follow. The repetitive task of walking about appears to be taking its toll on Piplup's little feet, having had a sinisterly untold experience of its own you can only guess at in the recent past, while Beaker is between bemused, irritated and dissatisfied all at the same time. With another flight of steps into the darkness you begin the scaling process, but unlike the chamber of Quiraisu you're surprised to see this one opens up to sizeable dimensions; the boundaries of a standard battlefield marked out clearly on the wide floor in front of you. Ahead, a humongous sculpted motif of a Relicanth stands on the far side of the arena. Looking about in awe you spot a raised plaque much like the one you saw earlier:

    "Cespis the Fish, the Keeper of the Mind

    Even in adversity the mind must reign above the soul and body, in order to safeguard against those that wish to threaten the welfare of the self.
    "

    Almost as though it sensed your presence and attention, the lower jaw of the Relicanth head starts to lower with a loud, grating noise that makes the three of you jump, and while you cautiously walk to what seems to be the challenger box the clay mandible knocks against the ground in a crashing rumble. You hear a whirring sound faintly from within Relicanth; soon after you spot a teal and red Pok&#233;Ball fly out from the open mouth, landing on the other side of the arena with a tap. Opening in a flash of white, the energy forms itself into a pink biped you vaguely remember encountering; its neck lined with a respectable striped ruff and a crown-like shell formation on its head.

    "Slowking!" Stepping forth, the Royal Pok&#233;mon gallantly extends a hand towards you, as though beckoning to you for the first move...
    Wes felt his nerves begin to creep as he slowly trailed up the watery checkerboard, is feet rippling ominously at each tile. The pressure was high, step after step he felt as though the aqua basin would lose its mystical properties and the three would drop into the mysterious depths. They where less than an inch away from getting drenched and falling into a pit of chastisement, the boy needed his best wits about him for what lay ahead. As they reached the last tile on their route, Wes jerked rearward, the floor ahead breaking apart to create a downward stairwell into a pitch-black chasm. They’d just so recently used a similar flight of stairs, so the shock was quick to ware off as the boy strolled down the spiral staircase in high spirits for the next riddled. However despite the rhythmic obstacles of his newfound quest, he was more than surprised at what jumped out next. A fine battle court swallowed the span, neatly marked spots for each trainer to mark, and followed by the lengthy front line cut clean in two for each Pok&#233;mon to stand. The boy’s heart raced, a dynamic skirmish would be a nice change of pace from the thorny puzzles they’d faced in the recent hours. Wes had a knack for mind games and riddles, but battling was more down his street. Rather than a scoreboard, Wes noticed a rather odd centrepiece hung on the rock-clad wall. Similar to the plaques prized with singing fish, an ancient species of marine Pok&#233;mon was fastened tightly. Almost as though it’d heard his breathing, seen his feet approaching, the Relicanth’s maw slowly slumped downward,

    "Cespis the Fish, the Keeper of the Mind

    Even in adversity the mind must reign above the soul and body, in order to safeguard against those that wish to threaten the welfare of the self."


    “Wait, what?” Wes muttered, any emotions of confidence quickly sliding away. He couldn’t help feeling lost. Pausing for a second, he made his way to the small box marked on his left, unsure what else to do in the tight situation. Suddenly! The plaque began to rumble, grating loudly as stone cogs began turning for the first time in thousands of years. A hollow whirling soon followed suit, as though a gumball was making its way down its respected dispenser. Rather than a spherical confection, a Lure Ball suddenly shot from its mouth, ricocheting against the dusty floor and bursting open with a great show of light. As the white faded, a pinkish hippo stood nobly. The bipedal royal looked more than familiar; he’d battled alongside one in his safari adventure. The Slowking released a long yawn, scratching its bivalve cranium before taking a stand at the opposing side of the pitch. Wes gulped slightly, the foe had a dozy smile, was he supposed to fight it or was it all part of a greater riddle? He spent a few seconds in silence as the ‘Poke extended a stubby arm, gesturing the boy to advance. Luckily, the adolescent trainer was hatching a scheme, throwing his bag off of his shoulder and unzipping it. He ignored the several Pokeballs that brushed past his arms, rustling to the deepest corners of the sack. A black Pokeball, chilling to touch, nestled between his fingers. Wes felt a sensation of unease by merely touching it, the heavily locked container spewing with an evil aura. Disregarding any upshot of his actions, he tossed the Shadow ball forward, cracking open as it churned a flash of black smoke quickly followed by its wicked detainee. His stubby charcoal paws fidgeted insanely, the greyscale lily pad shadowing all but his eyes which gleamed like rubies. The Spanish bandit cawed insanely, scuttling left and right with a streak of frenzy in its scarlet iris.

    “It’s not my fault if Negaduck so happens to savage the ‘Poke, it’s the perfect scheme...fufufu”, Wes scooted the lily pad forward like a hockey puck, “The king has summoned you, how about you ‘introduce yourself’ to his majesty? I’m sure you’ll have a Rave” Wes grinned, giving more than enough hints at an outright attack. Of course if he had misinterpreted the carp’s words he’d at least be able to apologise.

  24. #249
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    3,068

    Default

    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Somewhat certain that the task asked of you this time is one for combat, you release another member from your team you consider to be most apt to this hypothesised task. Appearing with a presence that seems to chill the entire chamber, Negaduck skitters about the field in a wild frenzy that causes Piplup to scamper behind your jeaned leg. Slowking seems to note this with little more than a raised eyebrow as Negaduck shrieks an unintelligible battle cry. As this happens, spikes of the infamous Shadow energy erupts in waves, rushing towards Slowking while Negaduck continues hopping like a mad dervish in his Shadow Rave. You almost cringe as the spikes pierce through Slowking in ethereal damage, but glancing at the partial Psychic-type you're shocked to see Slowking barely break a sweat in spite of the effective technique. A soft glow emanates from the Royal Pok&#233;mon as the Shadow energy fades away; your Pok&#233;Dex is quick to identify this as the Calm Mind attack.

    Apparently annoyed that this opponent isn't the pushover he expected it to be, Negaduck clicks in frustration as his eyes burn in crimson fury, even as the jewel embedded in Slowking's forehead starts shining with a rainbow aura. Unable to do anything, you can only watch as Slowking launches its Signal Beam, catching the Shadow Lotad in a colourful explosion that contrasts against the corrupted duckweed's tainted shades, and lands him on his lilypad. Jumping back up Negaduck screeches horribly, but as he does so you note that while his greater fortitude has proved itself he's nevertheless taken quite a bruise. If the Crawdaunt you had to face earlier is anything to go by, you get the feeling this Pok&#233;mon isn't going to be easy meat either...

  25. #250
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    520

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowshocker View Post
    The Isle of Talas

    The Western Pyramid

    Empoleon Dynamite
    Somewhat certain that the task asked of you this time is one for combat, you release another member from your team you consider to be most apt to this hypothesised task. Appearing with a presence that seems to chill the entire chamber, Negaduck skitters about the field in a wild frenzy that causes Piplup to scamper behind your jeaned leg. Slowking seems to note this with little more than a raised eyebrow as Negaduck shrieks an unintelligible battle cry. As this happens, spikes of the infamous Shadow energy erupts in waves, rushing towards Slowking while Negaduck continues hopping like a mad dervish in his Shadow Rave. You almost cringe as the spikes pierce through Slowking in ethereal damage, but glancing at the partial Psychic-type you're shocked to see Slowking barely break a sweat in spite of the effective technique. A soft glow emanates from the Royal Pokémon as the Shadow energy fades away; your PokéDex is quick to identify this as the Calm Mind attack.

    Apparently annoyed that this opponent isn't the pushover he expected it to be, Negaduck clicks in frustration as his eyes burn in crimson fury, even as the jewel embedded in Slowking's forehead starts shining with a rainbow aura. Unable to do anything, you can only watch as Slowking launches its Signal Beam, catching the Shadow Lotad in a colourful explosion that contrasts against the corrupted duckweed's tainted shades, and lands him on his lilypad. Jumping back up Negaduck screeches horribly, but as he does so you note that while his greater fortitude has proved itself he's nevertheless taken quite a bruise. If the Crawdaunt you had to face earlier is anything to go by, you get the feeling this Pokémon isn't going to be easy meat either...
    As the Water Weed Pokémon swept forward like a penguin on ice, Wes couldn’t help feeling a down of worry when the repercussions of the plucky offense came to mind. He remembered telling himself over and over, the heartless Negaduck was only to be used as a last resort. He had no ties to the trainer, no loyalty whatsoever, it was as though his chirpy spirit was switched with a bottomless chasm of darkness. The only thing keeping him restrained was the Shadow Ball he came with, the unique contraption holding a cold dungeon-like feeling as though it was custom fitted to housing such reckless beasts. Even with the fiend fighting for his side, Wes kept a tightened grip of the container, always dubious about the tadpole’s movements. However, even with Piplup’s hesitation, a certain monarch was less than impressed. Wes looked on with a glint of puzzlement as the hippo’s brow slid up his forehead in wake of Negaduck’s hellish shriek as though completely unfazed. Maybe they where in too deep, but at least the boy didn’t have to worry about the sloth being savaged by his tyrant of a team member. In hopes of a fair fight, Wes casually rested his hands behind his head, his spirit lifted by the sport he so frequently played a part in.

    The Water Weed, scampered forward, his six appendages light-footedly tapping the ground as he quickly closed distance between his dawdling foe. With a psychotic quack the duck stamped his weight downward, a thick rush of shadow seeping forward before spiking in all directions! The protrusions caused little less than a graze as they barbed their way about the pinkish king. The Slowking looked as dopey as always, causing Wes to bite his lip as a fizz of mauve energy pulsed about his bivalve cranium causing the shards of darkness to dissipate, the encyclopaedia he’d now slid open recognising the special technique. With his calm-minded counter, the sloth left no time for retribution as its jewel flickered a blinding Technicolor. Wes squinted slightly, whilst the duck below looked dead-on with no sign of cover. The signal beam beckoned forward, catching the monotone shrub in its dazzling display of fireworks and throwing him upward like a ragdoll! The evil Pokémon landed flat on his lilypad, helplessly flailing his six stubby legs with no way of getting up. Wes could tell they where a tad underprepped, and with Lotad’s back against the wall (no pun intended) it seemed high time for Croconaw to shine!

    “Great stuff Negaduck, but you’re a bit too weak to be-“Wes paused, completely in awe as the duck snapped back with a turbulent quack. The flipped Lily then shut his scarlet eyes, scrunching his moustache and tightening his legs. Suddenly! He coloured a shade of white that the boy was all too familiar with. The pallid silhouette began to soften around the edges, the four forepaws merging as they stretched into lengthy arms, the remaining legs stretching and slimming all the same. A plum body sprouted between the duck’s limbs and head, giving the white figure a childlike appearance. With the metamorphosis almost complete, his curves sharpened, claws extended from his arms and legs and chips forming in the circular lily pad. Wes held his pose as the upside-down shadow Pokémon flickered back into light with a small burst of light. Lotad had evolved into a Lombre! Wes grinned slightly, until his sensation of pride was met by a nerve-racking scowl. The child-snatcher used his long arms to flip back onto his feet, seemingly ready to jump back into the fight with a bigger and better build.

    “If you insist”, Wes added nervously, “How about you go for Slowk-“Once again, his chain of speech was rudely interrupted by a hysterical quack, Negaduck staring viciously at his trainer with his claws drew bare. Wes cringed, Corphish barking back ready to defend his trainer’s post. The kappa took a whiff of the stretch ahead, crawling forward before leaping in mid air! The Lombre ignored the trainer much to his surprise, much less clawing into his messenger bag to a point it burst into shreds! Wes jerked backward, stumbling over the penguin and falling to his feet. Potions, Berries and Pokeballs scrambled across the floor – but Lombre had caught the scent of a much more alluring trinket. A aqua looking shard, coated in a moist texture and hollowed with small bubbles as though it had just been fished from the sea. The duck’s scarlet eyes widened, cackling as he grasped the Water Stone and soaked up its power. A flash of white took queue once more, the figure this time widening into a plump pineapple figure ab. Much to Wes’ elation his menacing claws softened into oven mitts, his stout legs rounding too. His glossy skin switched to a furry grain, the lily pad hat spiking and capping with an additional pineapple. After a rather short-lived first stage, the Shadow Pokémon flickered back to its regular shade to reveal its final evolution. Whilst he’d retained its species’ bounciness, the nasty look in his eyes said more than words could describe. The platypus rustled its mitts in a villainous way, cackling maliciously as it faced the Slowking it now outsized. Wes was speechless.

    “Well, the show must go on”, Wes knew he’d regret those words, “If you want to show off, then throw up a Leech Seed to suck up some health. Follow up by Tickling the foe into submission, then send the hippo to its feet with Shadow Rush!”

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •