Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Default What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the new Physical/Special split introduced in the 4th Generation?

Basically here you post reasons why or why not you like the new Physical/Special split. Things like "Gengar can now use a proper Shadow Ball" are acceptable, but things like "OMG I HATE TEH PHYSICAL/SPECIAL SPLIT WITH A PASSION!" are not acceptable. If you do post something not in favor of the Physical/Special split, please provide a valid reason as to why, or else you are spamming, and I will let a mod/admin know.

Here is my reason, concerning Dragonite, one of my favorite pokemon.

I love that Dragonite can use Dragon Dance now, and actually use a Dragon move boosted by Dragon Dance.

This may be considered a poll, so if so, please move it to the right place.

Now, please post away.
    Last edited by foxyman1167; 14th February 2009 at 6:00 PM.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Having a perfect sweeper in RSE, then importing them and seeing that they're useless now because their attacks all got switched.

What I really liked was that it made Dark all physical with the exception of a couple of moves. Also, now Ghosts get a better chance in battling.

Woot!

true original diva

Hitmonchan isn't absolute crap anymore, and Blissey's not as fat and bulky as it were before.
    [img]http://i35.*******.com/2s0bg9h.png[/img]
    3DS FC: 1032 - 1228 - 8506 (Be sure to VM/PM me if you add me)
    dA|FF.net|Youtube

The split balanced things out, I think. You no longer have pokemon that can't use STAB moves effectively due to their low attack/special attack and their type being of that side. I remember when trying to make a team in the 3rd gen and having to put aside otherwise good pokemon cause they couldn't support their own type's moves. It's not limited in that sense anymore.

Plus, I like that it actually makes sense now. Beat Up or the elemental punches being special? Or Shadow Ball/Hyper Beam being physical? That didn't really fit.

Quote Originally Posted by [Ampharos] View Post
    Having a perfect sweeper in RSE, then importing them and seeing that they're useless now because their attacks all got switched.
    That's what I hate the most, but now I train Pokemon so they can be used in either R/S/E or D/P/Pt
    Last edited by foxyman1167; 21st February 2009 at 6:57 PM.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

I like the split since now I choose moves according to a pokemon's stats. But what I dont like is situations like flareon where its attack is higher than its special attack, so flamethrower is not as effective and fire blitz hurts the user.
    Credit to Mew_ for the pokemon banner, Equal-to-Heaven for the braviary clock, ~.:Northern Lights:.~ for the pokemon badge, and the shiny card made by me

Friend code: 0533-5377-8837
    I have normal type (minccino, dunsparce and smeargle)

Spoiler:- My shiny card:
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vs1amu.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/2vhzyoj.jpg[/IMG]

^ The second part is true, but that's doesn't really have to do with the split itself. (I mean Flareon's, and some other Pokemon's, situation)

Well, someone already mentioned it, but, Hitmonchan is finally useful; the elemental punches were crud til this generation on it.
    F/Cs:
    White ????-????-???? This is my main game
    Black ????-????-???? I am training all Unova Pokemon through this game, halfway through the Unova dex.

Diamond: 4640-3678-4967
    Platinum: 3996-5119-3608
    SoulSilver: 2665-4954-5460
    HeartGold: ????-????-????

I will gladly breed physical sweepers for people now that I have a real grasp of breeding. My Ditto, 31 IVs in Attack and Speed is great at its job, and I have yet to hear a complaint from it.

Fav: That some pokemons are more useful
    Least:That another pokemons lose some attacks like sceptile's Leaf blade
    FC Platinum: 5198-8417-3105 Kevin
    Proud owner of legits: Jap event -TRU Timid
    Gstop
    ;manaphy; TRU

Battle Frontier Team: In construccion

Favorite thing about the split: I can now use Hitmonchan! YAY!

Least favorite thing about the split: Hitmonlee still isn't as good as I would like, but he has his moments...

Welcome to the new world, where anything and everything can happen.
    Be careful though, you may not like what you see...

Favorite thing: It lead to the invention of cool moves like Power Gem and Luster Cannon.

Least Favorite thing: Some Pokemon (especially Sceptile) lost their signature moves to other Pokemon. Man, Leaf Blade was so cool on Sceptile.

Hoenn has disappointed.

P.S. I get tired of complaints from great games.
    3DS friend code: 2148-8189-4401 (Rock Type) Nosepass/Pupitar/Barbaracle
    Dream Code: 5400-2204-6955

Favourite Thing: I believe it rounded things out, and now more things make more sense.

Least Favourite: One of my favourites, Alakzam lost a lot of his lustre.

Quote Originally Posted by Colliepop View Post
    And that is invalid!
    Or maybe we reverse the positions. The lion can show up in the middle of a bustling city street, and take on a person in a tank.
    This post is Win
    This is why idolizing the human civilizations of yester-millenia is awesome

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Politoed View Post
    Favorite thing: It lead to the invention of cool moves like Power Gem and Luster Cannon.

Least Favorite thing: Some Pokemon (especially Sceptile) lost their signature moves to other Pokemon. Man, Leaf Blade was so cool on Sceptile.
    I'm failing to see how the physical/special split has anything to do with this. To me, all this really is about move creation and distribution.

....Unless you mean the elemental fangs and Giga Impact. If that's the case, I understand that. But as for Power Gem, I don't see that.

Pros: Hitmonchan finally has a purpose in battling concerning type coverage, Gyarados has even more firepower, complete with a STAB bonus, Blissey has somewhat more efficiency in battle.

Cons: ....none I can think of really.

There is one thing though that irks me though, so that may be a con: Earthquake remains as a physical move. I've always seen the attack as a special move, for some reason; maybe because the Pokemon makes no physical contact to the opponent, letting the earth do the job. Then again, many physical powerhouses can use EQ, so maybe Gamefreak was paying attention to the battling aspect a little more than usual, and saw this.
    Last edited by Sonic Boom; 15th February 2009 at 7:50 PM.

Now you can create brutal physical sweepers easilly...(Gyarados, hitmonchan,arcanine, Swampert and sharpedo)
    And hidden power got justice, it is now a key move in many sets.
    Things i do not like...Well dark is mostly physical oriented...and is somewhat hard to breed for dark pulse coz you only get one in game...
    Who said moe cant be Gar?

Fc Ixchen: 0559-7194-5664
    Poison safari : Muk Cascoon Venomoth

I HATE the Hoenn region and its winguls with a passion that can burn steel beams. But i love move tutors, Lets see how this goes...

i think its good because they havenow made moves seem more like the type they shuld be (physical/special) so for example: dark attribute isnt just special but it matteers on if the pokemon make physical contact with the enemy poke!

|My Eggs|
    Spriters Resource for sprites.

Eh I'm kinda disappointed Alakazam and Gardevoir lost their bag punchers, but I guess it sort of "decentralises" them a bit.

After all, I'd hate it even more if people overused them if they kept them (somehow).

My favorite thing is that now the attacks make a bit more sense-though for some reason I think more should be done, such as the fact that there needs to be a mixture of types in both moves and abilities. The elemental fangs seams like they could be both a special attack and a physical attack, and muddy water probably could fit in both Water and Ground typing.

It's sorta nice seeing pokemon types that have different rolls two-most flying types that weren't legendery pokemon where always physical sweepers, but now that there are some special flying type moves it's sorta adds a bit more depth. Of course, some of these birds like Chatot don't do well competitively, but it just makes the overall world feel like it has a bit more depth to it.

favorite thing: The change for all the punchs to physical was great and adding electivire in my case was awesome, also teh diversity in the type moves is very great.
    Least favorite thing: Shedinja lose almost all his attacks, i had mine with shadow ball and other 3 attacks and they where physical, but now are special attack and in that stat he isn't great, that was the only dislike i have.

I couldn't be happier about the split, it always haunted me that some pokemon were lackluster because their inability to use their righteous STAB , say Absol, Gyarados, Swampert (its water side) or Gengar .
    The only little downside was some pokemon I liked losing some moves , like Charizard's Outrage, since it was best when backed by its special , or Aerodactyl's Ancientpower , just because the cool stat boost

I love it! Now Sp. Atk and Attack make sence!!!
    Virtually gone.

Quote Originally Posted by foxyman1167 View Post
    That's what I hate the most, but know I train Pokemon so they can be used in either R/S/E or D/P/Pt
    Personally, I don't mind having to switch between two mindsets when planning for teams. It gives me more reason to play the games.

And yes, Shadow Ball makes more sense now.

Unfortunately, some Pokemon lost the Elemental Punches... (Mourns for his Gardevoir)

And I'm also writing a series of short stories centering on Hoenn's Battle Frontier. Imagine all the confusion that the Physical/Special Split would make, especially if you're writing about a battle between some random Pokemon and a Blastoise with both Mirror Coat and Counter! It would also be hard to write about certain Frontier Brains like Anabel. (Yes, a fanfic writer's point of view...)

I liked how pokemon like Kingler, Hitmonchan and Gyarados could finally use their good stats effectively

A bit saddened by pokemon like Alakazam and Gengar losing their huge movepool but it did give other pokemon a chance to shine (Although I miss Hypno getting the punches, worked well in my FR). Also Flareon losing a physical Shadow Ball

On the same track saddened Sceptile couldn't use Leaf Blade, Crunch and Dragon Claw with it's good Special stat though. Also a bit saddened most of Bulbasaur lines natural moves are physical.

I really like the split! It makes me not dizzy about looking for the attacks that are Special and Attack!

Like back at those good old days at Ruby and Sapphire (yeah, late starter), I was confused because the opponent has stactic so I start thinking which could get in contact and which doesn't. At first I thought "Bite eats our foe, I better don't use it. Ah here we go, Hyper beam!" but turns out to be paralyzed too...

(I hate non-spliting!)

In honor of Mystica
    3DS FC: 3926-5714-3675 | Y IGN: Tempus

i think my favourite part is that it made things very calculative, and because of it it made some pokemon better but some worse which was a lil problem. but even still i like it
    I have Eevee, Aipom, and Keckleon in my friend safari
    Pokemon Y FC:4639-9418-0333
    Name:Barnes
    Breeding... Giggity Giggity

Looking for Shiny Bulbasaur PM me!
    What I am willing to trade.
        Spoiler:- My Tradables:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast