Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

Quote Originally Posted by Mi10ticFan View Post
    I really like the split! It makes me not dizzy about looking for the attacks that are Special and Attack!

Like back at those good old days at Ruby and Sapphire (yeah, late starter), I was confused because the opponent has stactic so I start thinking which could get in contact and which doesn't. At first I thought "Bite eats our foe, I better don't use it. Ah here we go, Hyper beam!" but turns out to be paralyzed too...

(I hate non-spliting!)
    Um... You must be mistaken there. Static wouldn't paralyze someone who used Hyper Beam even back in the 3rd gen. Physical/Special isn't the same with moves that make contact or not. And it still is the same way after the split, Earthquake is a physical move but it still doesn't make contact. And back in 3rd gen, the elemental punches were Special but they made contact, so if you used them on a Carvanha you'd get damage from Rough Skin.

I mostly like the split. I wasn't competitively battling in RSE/FRLG so I didn't lose anything important.

It also helps to make strategic movesets (Dragon types don't resist 4/7 special types now).

Can't really think of anything bad.
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!
    Click HERE to be rickrolled... c'mon, you know you want to.
        Spoiler:- I HAVE DEFIED ALL MATHS AND LOGIC!:

The split was great cause the sp atck and sp defence didn't make sense to me at first, but it makes a lot more sence now. The attacks makes more sense, too. YAY! XD The downside is as what others have said some of the attacks seemed to have lost thier charm a bit. But it's all cool.

☆ Maya Fey: Ace Pokemon Trainer
    Carry On, BlisseyThe Other King☆
    Advancers Tumblr
    Banner by Sworn Metalhead at Dćdric Design ✠

Good: Everything but what's in bad
    Bad: All my awesome physical Ghost-types (Shedinja especially) no longer have Shadow Ball

Currently trying to fix the mistakes I've made.
        Spoiler:- Sad story:

The Physical/Special split was a great move, and has helped me a lot.

However, Hidden Power is still annoying, as it is primarily only used with Special Attackers. Maybe I want my Aerodactyl to have a physical Psychic move? I wish they could have "Hidden Power Psychic 70 PHYSICAL/SPECIAL". Or would that make things a bit complex?
    ~ FC: 4168 5494 9922 ~
    PM me for a standard OU battle; always up for one. Most of the time.

i like the split because now i understand sp. attack and attack better and i can make strategies that are useful now.
    why am I back u ask? um ask sapphire sapphrine. thats why.......

A lot of Pokemon are truly useful with STAB now.
    Others, like Alakazam and Sceptile, are weakened-those elemental punches and Leaf Blade are sorely missed, especially with Leaf Blade's increased power. Pokemon like Blaziken can be more useful with their attacks, using the higher of their offensive capabilities.

I'm on both sides. It helped alot of pokemon out in being able to use their strong stats more effectively, but it makes it somewhat harder to make good walls. For instance, in R/S/FR/LG/E you would know what types are super-effective and you could increase that defense more knowing which one it would go against. Now they could use a type move that can be either Normal Attack or Special.

Diamond FC: 4253-7582-5489

Good: makes more sense, and has more variety
    Bad: all the people complaining/being happy about the Punches, shadow ball, Gengar, Alakazam, and Hitmonchan, usually some in the same post
    my FC is 2064 8570 2074m but I don't do a lot of Wi-Fi stuff
    I am a semi-grammar nazi, yet I have a habit of Capitalizing words that don't need to be Capitalized.
    I wait in the depths for the return of the Non-Competitive Trainer's Hangout Ultimate Journey. Time is not important.
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSword7 View Post
    As for breeding; unless you chain-breed max IVs onto a pokémon, you're basically throwing darts with a blindfold on at a dart board that isn't there.

I like it because it creates a really nice variety in moves
    so most people aren't attacking each other with the same move (most of the time lol)

Probably Physical Elemental Punches on the Elekid line.

well it opened up hyper beam for some pokemon, such as alakazam. plus some moves being special didnt make sence like dragon claw, clearly its physical same with fire funch. and aura sphere coming from attack stat when its based on mystical(aura) energy? i think it makes sence to be honest.

at first i didnt like it, but now if anything i think it made things simpler when selecting move sets. though i will say some types move pools are a bit one sided, but i do wonder when they decided to make this change, seems a bit last minute to me.
    This is Turtwig, he was the most under appreciatted starter in Diamond & Pearl. If you picked Turtwig as your starter, put this in your sig . Started by Dax-360

Soul Silver FC: 5328 3631 1592
    Diamond FC: 4382 8150 0519

I hate how the punches have made a 3rd gen Alakazam look terrible. Then again it helps hitmonchan
    aaron @ MMC
    PSN: xAaronH
    Twitter: xaaronh
    3DS FC: 0516-7290-3849
    White FC: 1764-4289-7486
    Leave a VM if you add me.

The balance of power has been realigned. We know get to see much more variety in pokemon, move sets and strategies. Some of my favorite pokemon has been considerably powered up (Gligar and Sneasel) while others have been rightfully dropped from their high horse (Elemental Punch Alakazam and Shadow Ball Gengar)

Quote Originally Posted by aaron-now View Post
    I hate how the punches have made a 3rd gen Alakazam look terrible. Then again it helps hitmonchan
    Elemental Punch Alakazam and Shadow Ball Gengar
    see? where's the originality people?
    I am a semi-grammar nazi, yet I have a habit of Capitalizing words that don't need to be Capitalized.
    I wait in the depths for the return of the Non-Competitive Trainer's Hangout Ultimate Journey. Time is not important.
    As for breeding; unless you chain-breed max IVs onto a pokémon, you're basically throwing darts with a blindfold on at a dart board that isn't there.

<___<

Just because two people cite the same example does not imply that they are unoriginal...

Moves like calm mind and nasty plot actually make a difference. Before, I found it completey useless to use moves that boost your EVs. Well, if you had well trained pokemon, which I always had, then it felt really useless. But, now, you pretty much need to use dragon dance, calm mind etc. etc. if you want to suceed.

The spilit definitly made movesets make more sense.

The splits made actual moves that were special when they should have been physical, physical. Like Fire Punch.
    Nintendo 3DS FC: 2105-8824-8167
    PM me if you add me so I can add you

My Friend Safari (Water): Bibarel , Gyarados , Azumarill

Safaris I am looking for with these Pokemon:
    1. Drifblim
    2. Poliwhirl
    3. Heracross
    4. Whirlipede
    5. Gothorita
    6. Forretress
    7. Sigilyph

It made a few UU/NU Pokemon like Aggron and Beautifly slightly better, but it also overpowered OUs like Tyranitar.

It just makes everything make sense to me. I hated having to remember what types did physical or special. Now I just have to think about what the move does. Like when something says beam or ball I think of special.
    Currently playing:
    Wii- All Zelda's available for Wii, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
    DS-Pokemon Platinum, Final Fantasy IV

Proud Owner of a Pkmn Ranger Darkrai!

Pros: The moves FINALLY make sense, all pokemon now have potentially viable STAB attacks, a lot more flexibility all around

Cons: Some fun toys were blunted, like physical Hidden Powers, Charizard's Outrage, Shadow Ball being changed from physical.

Ah well, nothing is perfect, and not too many pokemon were overall hurt by this swap. Note: Leaf-blade got a power boost, from 70 to 90, which corresponds with the 20 point disparity between Sceptile's Special Attack and Attack. Also note that Energy Ball, while lacking the critical hit chance, does have a chance to lower special defense AND has a 10 point boost on the original Leaf Blade.

So Sceptile's attacking options have slightly changed, but there aren't as many downsides to leaf blade's defection as some people seem to think.

Quote Originally Posted by themonsteroftheisland View Post
    Pros: The moves FINALLY make sense, all pokemon now have potentially viable STAB attacks, a lot more flexibility all around

Cons: Some fun toys were blunted, like physical Hidden Powers, Charizard's Outrage, Shadow Ball being changed from physical.

Ah well, nothing is perfect, and not too many pokemon were overall hurt by this swap. Note: Leaf-blade got a power boost, from 70 to 90, which corresponds with the 20 point disparity between Sceptile's Special Attack and Attack. Also note that Energy Ball, while lacking the critical hit chance, does have a chance to lower special defense AND has a 10 point boost on the original Leaf Blade.

So Sceptile's attacking options have slightly changed, but there aren't as many downsides to leaf blade's defection as some people seem to think.
    About Leaf Blade: A Physical Sceptile set is now viable, due to Swords Dance and a good physical movepool (Leaf Blade, Dragon Claw, Earthquake).
    New FC: 1118-6117-3309

Record is 461-4.
    Don't play Pokemon anymore, except for war battles and requests.
    XBL Gamertag is Deathhawk164.

Epic Quotes:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pamizard
    but like how can garchomp be uber.
    Quote Originally Posted by drawbird
    I,ve just faced a trainer with a smeargle which knows DARK VOID (Clearly this person hacked the game or something).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhys29
    If he learned U-Turn I would jizz my pants. Literally.

I dont mind the difference between atk. and sp.atk. Its more the def. and sp.def. that bothers me. Its hard to find a pokemon with good spatk or atk + good defence and special defence. Basicly, pokemon with good spdef+def always have a crappy stat like speed or spatk/atk.
    It only takes one Probe to build an empire.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLegend View Post
    <___<

Just because two people cite the same example does not imply that they are unoriginal...
    look at my first post, before the posts, there were already like 10 people talking about it and I hate repetitive threads

My favourite thing about it is some pokemon were finally able to use their STABs. Such as Gyarados, Salamence and Gengar.

It just makes everything make sense to me. I hated having to remember what types did physical or special. Now I just have to think about what the move does. Like when something says beam or ball I think of special.
    Minor nitpick I know...buuut....Gyro Ball.
    If you think PINK COLOR is the most precious symbol of girls and women copy to your sign (start by Airi-Chan(

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast