Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

I toss a giant steel ball in your face....
    That is pretty physical...

They seemed to use some physics here.
    The faster an object moves, the more momentum it carries...
    So when the fast object collides with another... the momentum gets instantky canceled out and the resulting force affects the object

In Pokemon's case... damage...
    If the Pokemon Black & White anime turns out to be an ABSOLUTELY brand new story with new characters and plot then I will lick the sole of my mud covered shoe and post it on YouTube for everyone to see

My favorite thing is that the game is more realistic. I don't really have a least favorite though.

95% of all teens would cry if thy saw Miley Cyrus jumping off of a building, paste this into your sig if you have brown hair.

I use "uber" Pokemon, I calculate stat values, I breed my way to perfection, and I care about natures. I catch my pokemon and throw them away like a piece of garbage if they are not worthy of my greatness, and I treat them like brainless drones instead of individuals. If you use this philosophy, copy and paste this into your signature. (Started by Swalot=yes)

Quote Originally Posted by Profesco View Post
    BLAHBLAHBLAHSPAMSPAMSPAMPOOOOOOOOOOP HAHA
    ^What a great mod^

FC:2966-0840-9257
    Name:Tyler

The good thing about it...
    It makes the game having more sense, like shadow ball & hyper beam turning special and crunch & the elemental punches physical.

And it also made 2 good HMs, as opposed to only Surf as the only good HM. Now there's Waterfall for the physical attackers.

It also makes certain pokemon more versatile (i.e. Physical-type/Physical-type Pokemon with higher special attack & Special-type/Special-type Pokemon with higher attack, like the Poison/Ghost Gengar & Ice/Dark Sneasel AKA Weavile).

Not much for the disadvantages, except that it completely eliminated any 100%-accurate Physical Rock-type attacks, like Ancientpower turning special...and the new Power Gem is also Special.
    I'll be inactive for some time here. If you wanna find me, meet me at Smogon

Hidden Power on both fronts, Flareon can actually use a Physical STAB for a positive, Physical Ice Shard on the negative (poor Glaceon ;_; ), special Shadow Ball on the positive, Sneasel line has some use, and a useful Hitmonchan.

Fwee.

I'm indecicive about the split, because they have some pokemon who are physical types, but alot of a of the moves of its type arn't physical, or vice versa. [Like Flareon, who is a physical Fire type, and the only physical fire type move it can learn is fire fang].

Signature Credit- Me! Want one? PC me for details.

.:~I claim Kerudio!~:.

Yeah, Flareon got messed up in this game...

It still is decent though

First off, let me say I LUV THE PHYSICAL/SPECIAL SPLIT!!!....*cough* um, excuse that. Anyways, to give actual reasons as to why...

Good:
    1.) Attacks make sense.
    .....For example, Hyper Beam is...well, a beam that is hyper. So, why was the attack based on physical attack stats?? Sure, some loved that little fact (Gyarados) but it still made no sense. Now, a game about fantasy has logic....which I'm sure is good...
    2.) Some Pokemon get to utilize their great stats.
    .....Gyarados is my favorite Water~type. In R/B/Y, he was a force to be reckoned with. BUT in G/S/C, his Special Attack stat went way down. Water attacks were not his forte any longer. With the Physical/Special split, Gyarados has a chance at using some quality Water attacks again. Hitmonchan is smiling too.
    3.) Strategy gets more strategic.
    .....Basically, battles feel like actual battles.

Bad
    1.) Some Pokemon lose what made them special.
    .....Sceptile wants his Leaf Blade back. Leafeon refuses to give it back. Not to mention all the ghosts that lost their poor Shadow Balls.
    2.)...um.........uh........that's really it.
    Last edited by LeoP2008; 3rd March 2009 at 1:00 AM.
    MASTER Pkmn Team

Pursuit is now physical yes! And finally there's a good and decent attack for grass types(Energy ball) and the invention of nasty plot.

Bad things? Alakazam loosing his punches!
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/f3st93.jpg[/IMG]
    Aerodactyl Rocks!... And Flys
    Awesome pic made by SuperNova!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoP2008 View Post
    Bad
    1.) Some Pokemon lose what made them special.
    .....Sceptile wants his Leaf Blade back. Leafeon refuses to give it back. Not to mention all the ghosts that their misplaced Shadow Balls.
    actually the base power of Leaf Blade increased by 20, so it's just as powerful on Sceptile as it was on the 3rd gen games.
    nostalgia

Quote Originally Posted by Jetx View Post
    actually the base power of Leaf Blade increased by 20, so it's just as powerful on Sceptile as it was on the 3rd gen games.
    i think what LeoP2008 is saying is he wants Sceptile to be the only one (besides Grovyle) to be able to learn leaf blade and leafeon to never learn it.

I think the split is a pretty good idea, but I think they categorized them strangely. I had no idea Flame Wheel would be a physical attack, for example, but it is.
    I'm working on finishing my DP Pokedex...I have 490. : D!

Word.

The physical/special split threw off most of my strategies from the third generation because I create mostly defensive teams. >.<
    For example, my Skarmory, which used to laugh at anything but fire/electric attacks, now had to worry about the special attacks ,such as aura sphere, which would now do unbelievable amounts of damage. Which, in turn, caused me to raise more offense-based Pogeymanz.
    At least now, Pokemon that used to have half physical, half special dual types can exploit the STAB advantage on both types (Like Blaziken, Venusaur, ect.)
    I've returned for Platinum. Welcome back, myself, I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharks Shouldn't Fly View Post
    I think the split is a pretty good idea, but I think they categorized them strangely. I had no idea Flame
    Wheel would be a physical attack, for example, but it is.
    Flame Wheel is physical because like in the anime, a Pokemon surrounds itself in fire, and runs into the foe. Thats how Flame Wheel is physical.
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

My least favorite thing, lack of a physical version of Hidden Power.

I also miss physical Sludge Bomb
    Warriors of the Champion

Quote Originally Posted by ChuklaeAquos View Post
    i think what LeoP2008 is saying is he wants Sceptile to be the only one (besides Grovyle) to be able to learn leaf blade and leafeon to never learn it.
    Close. I just think Sceptile should be the BEST at HIS/HER Sig move. Its kinda like Dialga having Roar of Time when we all know Arcues could do it better....which suX 'cause if he could use Roar of Time, that would be true....
    MASTER Pkmn Team

I like the split, but I find the categories extremely strange.

[IMG]http://i43.*******.com/2s15gnt.jpg[/IMG]
    "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."
    -Elite Four Karen

Now Playing: X
    Delphox. Gardevoir. Blastoise. Pidgeot. Aurorus. Leafeon.
    Y (Planned)
    Greninja. Gardevoir. Florges. Vivillion. Meinshao. Ampharos.
    White
    Samurott. Liligant. Braviary. Chandelure. Meinshao. Galvantula.
    White 2 /// Black 2
    Samurott. Ampharos. Braviary. Meinshao. Espeon. Chandelure. /// Serperior. Starmie. Arcanine. Golurk. ? ?

Yeah.

[insert cool signature here]

[That sig was way too big. Please read the sig rules]

I do not mind it so much. Sure it threw off some very popular movesets or even just individual moves on certain Pokemon, but it is nothing the playerbase cannot get around. Overall I think it was a good thing, as it let a few more Pokemon be reasonably viable.

Of the Pokemon of mine it hurt the most, my Charizard felt it. However, since he can get Swords Dance and Dragon Dance instead of moves like Growth and other Special Attack Boosters, it is only felt for a turn or two. HP Ice/Grass/Water are a lot more useful on him now, though (since if you run into something that is week to one of these, chances are it is going to one or two shot you, so you can still get some parting shots).

My Dragonite, however, is liking this. The other base-total 600 Pokemon (Tyrannitar, Salamence and Garchomp), are liking it even more, because their stats are more slanted toward what they already do well (on top of being faster in the case of the other dragons). Not this this really hurts them much, because both attacking stats are high enough for all of them that you can make them Special or Physical Sweepers pretty well.
    "Strong Pokemon. Weak Pokemon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled trainers should try to win with their favorites."

-Karen, Final member of GSC Elite 4.

My Favorites (which makes me really sad that there is no Fire/Dragon)

Team history (obviously not competitive):
    RBY: Charizard, Dragonite, Tauros, Starmie, Zapdos, Victreebel
    GSC: Typhlosion, Kingdra, Raikou, Tyrannitar, Miltank, Espeon
    RSE: Blaziken, Salamence, Gardevoir, Flygon, Manectric, Mightyena
    DPPt (growing): Infernape, Gyarados, Luxray, Staraptor, Gabite, Weavile

I like how it helped out certain Pokes who would have been close to useless without the the split.

My Weezing is loving the split! Now I just run a Bold nature and focus on def, hp and sp. atk, no more worries about the EV investments for Fire Blast.
    [IMG]http://i42.*******.com/f3st93.jpg[/IMG]
    Aerodactyl Rocks!... And Flys
    Awesome pic made by SuperNova!

it doesn't really affect me; to me they're just moves

__________________________________________________ _______________

now my shiny gyarados (not hacked) has some good physical attacks. but my poor Alakazam has lost all his elemental punches

I thought it was a lot more logical, but it really threw a lot of strategies out, but gave way for new ones. It's got its pro's and con's.

Helped me out, made things alot better.
    can't think of a downside, sowwy

Quote Originally Posted by Xx Flare xX View Post
    Helped me out, made things alot better.
    can't think of a downside, sowwy
    Why is there a need to be sorry?!?!?!

I dont think I could ever think of one if I tried!
    Virtually gone.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast