Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: What is your favorite/least favorite thing about the Physical/Special split?

It helps somewhere, and it also takes away somewhere. I can easily beat a Pokemon now by specifically targeting its weaker stat. My Pokemon often carry both types of attacks,so, I'm always prepared. However, some Pokemon got screwed over. Weavile would've been a good addition to my team, if it Sp. Atk wasn't horrid. Since the only useful Ice STAB-s for it are Special attacks(chain-breeding to get Ice Punch is not an option), it's a disaster. Weezing's STAB moves were classified as Physical before, and that's why Sludge did horrendously big damage to anything. Now, they get power from the Sp. Atk. stat, which means Sludge won't cut it anymore. and I have to raise the stat, too.
    Il Gran Velenatore del Poke-mondo.
    The Great Poisoner of the Pokeworld.

The Attack/Special Attack split was probably the best change they've made.

Best thing about it is the fact that Gengar FINALLY has some good special STAB moves to work with in Shadow Ball and Sludge Bomb. For the longest time I've had to rely on Thunderbolt for the ghouly's main special attack...and that just didn't fit. ):

Quote Originally Posted by Commander L. Halsti View Post
    It helps somewhere, and it also takes away somewhere. I can easily beat a Pokemon now by specifically targeting its weaker stat. My Pokemon often carry both types of attacks,so, I'm always prepared. However, some Pokemon got screwed over. Weavile would've been a good addition to my team, if it Sp. Atk wasn't horrid. Since the only useful Ice STAB-s for it are Special attacks(chain-breeding to get Ice Punch is not an option), it's a disaster. Weezing's STAB moves were classified as Physical before, and that's why Sludge did horrendously big damage to anything. Now, they get power from the Sp. Atk. stat, which means Sludge won't cut it anymore. and I have to raise the stat, too.
    Doesn't targeting a weaker stat with specific moves increase the strategic nature, instead of simply having ALL of the moves of a type do the same type of damage?

That, and I'm not sure it's really that easy to just "target the weakness" in terms of defense/special defense because relatively few pokemon can viably use both types of attack- even then, they wouldn't be able to cover every pokemon if they had to spilt their moves between physical and special attacks, and after that, there would be little room for swords dance, nasty plot, or dragon dance.

I'm not a competitive battler but I just like that now your Pokemon's moves can finally work with the appropriate stat.

Honestly, how could fire punch be a special type move and gust be a physical move ???

The split balanced things out, however important moves changing from physical to special or vice versa ruined whole movesets, e.g. Leaf Blade turning from Special to Physical.

Thanks to Tekirai for the greatest banner ever!

PM me with any help you need regarding #SPP-WiFi or with getting your signature checked

[14:32] <metallica> i acted like a foolish

*** katya (CHEAT@NOW.YOU.CAN.SEE.A.NICE.ICE.KEY.WHICH.YOU.CA N.HAVE.FOR.FREE) has quit IRC (Quit: (3:56:28 pm) <rittre_gilr> oh mah gah!!!! guess what i juss foun out!!!!! |B selebii-fatrazychan dada mallied a MURE!!!! an ugry mure can you berieve dat??? so dats why he got holse teef!!!! CHING CHING CONG BALONG)

Quote Originally Posted by Slowking[George] View Post
    The split balanced things out, however important moves changing from physical to special or vice versa ruined whole movesets, e.g. Leaf Blade turning from Special to Physical.
    This point, exactly. I was bummed out that Sceptile lost its old signature move to its weaker stat. Sure the base power was boosted a little, but that doesn't really make up for the difference in Sceptile's attack stats.

In most other situations, though, I'm very fond of the split. Pokemon mentioned often, like Gengar and Weavile, now have more room to shine. That, and it opens up a new dimention of variability in battle strategy. That's always a plus. ^_^

Robin Williams
    1951-2014
    "What's it gonna be? I don't know. But maybe along the way, you take my hand, tell a few jokes, and have some fun. C'mon, pal. You're not afraid, are ya?"

physical/special split cleared most of the logic out, but why is EQ physical?
    EQ doesnt require for the user to have contact with the foe, eh?

any questions?

I thought they shouldve done that a long time ago.It helped a lot of pokemon.

like Professco, I liked Dragonite knowing Hyper Beam as it's signature move, but I'm glad it's more viable now.
    Quote Originally Posted by assassinsceptile View Post
    Fine I'll fite u all

Gyarados without a doubt. I almost lost it when i saw the split in moves. Hidden power flying is no longer necessary now. A STAB water move makes this pokemon beastly. I also no longer have to worry about elemental punches from Alakazam.
    "If we can't find a way we'll make one."
    -Hannibal

Quote Originally Posted by Commander L. Halsti View Post
    Weavile is best used to revenge kill dragons(which are everywhere). Ice shard is all it needs for this. It has priority and most dragons have a 4X weakness to ice( Dragonite, Scalamence,Flygon,Altaria,Garchomp).
    "If we can't find a way we'll make one."
    -Hannibal

the only negatives that effect me realy are the screwing over off vulpix/ninetails and flareon

I would say the favorite or best was that now there are pokemon who are better used than before with their stats and stab moves, for example Gyarados now can have stab physical move in waterfall, makes some pokemon way more useful
    Trinity League Badges

3DS FC: 1075-1699-3820
    Ign: GC7

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345