Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Making the game harder - Ingame challenges

Hybrid View

Default Making the game harder - Ingame challenges

Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore.

Scramble challenge- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found here.

Monotype challenge- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here.

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger - Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 3, for example, against Gardenia?

MEDIUM:

Speedrun: Play through the game as fast as possible. This is partly luck based, partly patience based and partly good planning. (credit to BlitzBlast).

No saving before legendaries- about as self-explanitory as it gets.

No Evolution: You aren't allowed to evolve your pokemon. (credit to ayeepryll)

HARD:

Paul style challenge - Only use pokemon with a type disadvantage against the gym leaders (eg, only Staravia and Chimchar against Roark, etc) credit to foxyman1167.

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves. This mode can also be altered to be only not using potions, or not using hold items for example.

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. Or, if your chosen pokemon can't be caught early in the game, trade for it; ths might actually be harder, as if you overtrain early on it won't obey you (thanks to MKFC for pointing that out). I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

Hardcore mode- Any pokemon that faints gets released. Death is permanant!

Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.) (credit to [Super-Fjord]

For scramble and monotype mode, post on the relevant thread. If you want to post your progress on any other modes, feel free to post here. if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post too and I'll probably add them to this post.
    Last edited by lifesharker; 2nd June 2009 at 9:30 AM.
    PASBL Trainer level one. Wins:4 Losses:0 Draws:0 KO's:3 TP:8 SP:0
    Quote Originally Posted by PartyPokemon View Post
    Alternatively, you can drug her and stare at whatever you like as long as you want. Your choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkLegend View Post
    PS: Somebody sig this...

Nice ideas. The single pokemon mode sounds fun =] I should try it ASAP.

Hard-core mode seems.... hard-core. lol. I think I might try some of these out, especially the single pokemon one. Kudos!
    ~Facebook~ | ~Tumblr~ | ~Twitter~
    [IMG]http://i41.*******.com/54xhxk.jpg[/IMG]
    (Credit for the banner goes to myself. Click it to see my fan fic; comments & reviews appreciated!)

Where's the tireless mode?

Complete the game without using a pokecenter even once
    First, when players wish to exchange their winnings, they must call a parlor staff member by using the call button located at the top of the machine they used. The staff member will then carry the player's balls to an automated counter to verify how many they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Mastadi View Post

Lol =] That's a good idea =]

I really like some of those, especially the gym challenger one. I think this should be a game mechanic as it would make it so much more realistic to the anime and that little bit harder. Also it would give the player a lot more strategy about them, which pokemon should I choose? etc etc.

hardcore mode - it seems very very mean, and i love my pokemon so i wouldnt use it.

But i love the creativity.
    Loves every part of pokemon, loves the movies, the anime and every game, so you could call me fan lol.

Apparently i'm a...

Favourite Pokemon: but i like them all

Quote Originally Posted by Mastadi View Post

That would be virtually impossible because of PP. Early in the game, you could catch and use new pokemon whenever you ran out of PP quite easily, but later on the gap between trainers levels and wild pokemon levels would become way too big. You can try it if you want though .
    Alternatively, you can drug her and stare at whatever you like as long as you want. Your choice.

For EV training purposes, the no running thing might be a little annoying. xD Otherwise, I really like those ideas. : D I've done single Pokemon playthroughs before and they're a blast. xD

Originally Posted by Mastadi

That would be virtually impossible because of PP. Early in the game, you could catch and use new pokemon whenever you ran out of PP quite easily, but later on the gap between trainers levels and wild pokemon levels would become way too big. You can try it if you want though .
    or else use hoards of leppa berries :P
    PM me for trades or For quicker trades just add me on pikamiki@hotmail.com
    I have almost anything up for trades

FC Diamond: 3523 6401 5816
    FC Pearl: 4854 3797 6995
    My shinies: x2 x3
    plus many more...

Quote Originally Posted by lifesharker View Post
    Hello everyone. Here I'll give a list of ways to make the games more challenging, for those of us that have completed it too many times to count anymore.

Scramble challenge- 5 people recommend you one pokemon each. Your 6th is your starter, and you use only those pokemon on your list. Found here.

Monotype challenge- You play through the game using a single type. Dual types are allowed if they have your chosen type, as are pokemon that will evolve into that type. If you can't catch one of your type before the first gym, trade or use your starter until you can- but no dragons/ghosts. Full rules and a thread here.

EASY:

No running away- Self explanitory. Never run from a wild pokemon, fight every trainer.

Gym Challenger - Only take to a Gym the same number of pokemon as a Gym leader has- how is it fair when it can be 6 on 3, for example, against Gardenia?

MEDIUM:

HARD:

Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves.

Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.

For scramble and monotype mode, post on the relevant thread. If you want to post your progress on any other modes, feel free to post here. if you have any other suggestions, feel free to post too and I'll probably add them to this post.

These are all really good ideas. But, I have another one. How about 'Berry Only Mode'. The only things you can use that are not needed i.e. HMs, HM Slaves, et cetera, are berries. Hard... o_0

"we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it
    ^I ROFLed at that.

I'm going to start hardcore mode as soon as I finish my current playthrough. Sort of dreading it, tbh . I would've finished my current playthrough already if not for it taking so long to find a moonstone (stupid clefairy, what kind of pokemon evolves thanks to a stone anyways).

How about in single Pokémon mode, you trade for the single Pokémon you use, so the game is much harder early on, since the Pokémon won't obey if you over-train?

Currently trying to fix the mistakes I've made.
        Spoiler:- Sad story:

done, every game, very easy
    I only really ever have a team of 3 before the main legend, so I pretty much do that too
    I want to catch them, do you expect me to lose half of the legendaries for a F***ing challenge?
    Limited items (or "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash!" mode as my friend dubbed it) - don't use any item that isn't required to finish the game (items like the HM surf)- includes Pokeballs, healing items, TM's etc - use none of them! Obviously, it may be necassary to use a pokeball or two on HM slaves.
    no, I pretty much do that, not completely but mostly, minus the pokeballs, I can't do that, I want to "catch em all" as the first season wanted me to do
    Single pokemon mode - Get your chosen pokemon ASAP and never use anything else. Or, if your chosen pokemon can't be caught early in the game, trade for it; ths might actually be harder, as if you overtrain early on it won't obey you (thanks to MKFC for pointing that out). I've seen videos of a guy who did this with a weedle on red- and won.
    boo, where's the variety, I'm only training two pokemon extra, not 5, besides, there's only so many early pokemon
    no, I only catch pokemon once, minus shineys, and I only catch each shiney once, not doing THAT waste of time, how will I survive without my starter?

so, it's not the best ideas you have there, but they seem fun to some
    my FC is 2064 8570 2074m but I don't do a lot of Wi-Fi stuff
    I am a semi-grammar nazi, yet I have a habit of Capitalizing words that don't need to be Capitalized.
    I wait in the depths for the return of the Non-Competitive Trainer's Hangout Ultimate Journey. Time is not important.
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSword7 View Post
    As for breeding; unless you chain-breed max IVs onto a pokémon, you're basically throwing darts with a blindfold on at a dart board that isn't there.

Quote Originally Posted by pokemaster001 View Post
    done, every game, very easy

I only really ever have a team of 3 before the main legend, so I pretty much do that too

I want to catch them, do you expect me to lose half of the legendaries for a F***ing challenge?

no, I pretty much do that, not completely but mostly, minus the pokeballs, I can't do that, I want to "catch em all" as the first season wanted me to do

boo, where's the variety, I'm only training two pokemon extra, not 5, besides, there's only so many early pokemon

no, I only catch pokemon once, minus shineys, and I only catch each shiney once, not doing THAT waste of time, how will I survive without my starter?

so, it's not the best ideas you have there, but they seem fun to some
    I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
    Stop whining about it.

I mostly do the no-evolving one now, but just because I like the way the pre-evolved forms of my pokemon look best xD; I let my eevee evolve into glaceon 'cause it's pretty, and Drifloon evolve so it could fly me around, though.

Quote Originally Posted by ChapperIce View Post
    I think you're missing the point of the challenge. It's not for your normal, relaxing, play as you would normally play game.. It's a challenge.
    Stop whining about it.
    I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it
    Quote Originally Posted by [Super_Fjord] View Post
    Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)
    PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
    where'd you get the idea PCs save for you
    Last edited by pokemaster001; 1st March 2009 at 5:05 PM.
    my FC is 2064 8570 2074m but I don't do a lot of Wi-Fi stuff
    I am a semi-grammar nazi, yet I have a habit of Capitalizing words that don't need to be Capitalized.
    I wait in the depths for the return of the Non-Competitive Trainer's Hangout Ultimate Journey. Time is not important.
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalSword7 View Post
    As for breeding; unless you chain-breed max IVs onto a pokémon, you're basically throwing darts with a blindfold on at a dart board that isn't there.

PCs don't save, they show you the storage of your pokemon
    where'd you get the idea PCs save for you
    It's an easy mistake to make; they do save when you change box.

What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

I do have challenges, the point I'm making is I'm not going to have such a hard time completing the game instead of completing the game normally, it's not like I'm just going to re-set my game and start all over again or anything. I'm saying that the challenges are too challenging for me, so stop whining about me whining about it
    What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone View Post
    What about beating the game with only a Ditto? Or a Shedinja? Smeargle?

What's the point in posting in this thread if you have nothing constructive to add? Go away.
    I've put a single pokemon challenge in the first post, which covers all the "use only pokemon x" challenges. They're good fun, although playing through the game with only Shedinja would be crazy! I can't even imagine trying that, major kudos to anyone who can manage it.

Maybe I should try these...

I kinda did my own little version.

My friend bred 6 eggs of Pokemon I wanted to fight with. As soon as they hatched, he sent them to me to play a new game with. Pretty fun having to start with 6 level 1s. I remember battling Gardenia's level 22 Roserade with a level 14 Lucario (I ran... a lot).
    YOU JUST LOST THE GAME!
    Click HERE to be rickrolled... c'mon, you know you want to.
        Spoiler:- I HAVE DEFIED ALL MATHS AND LOGIC!:

Here are some

Shiny only: (Evil) You have to only use shinies so SR for a shiny starter and run around for a month looking for others.

What ya see is what ya get:
    Before you start choose *however many Pokémon you will have* routes (-1 if you are using starter) and use the first Pokémon you see on each of them.

Letter mode: Choose a letter and use only Pokémon that begin with that letter. Pokémon that will begin with that letter are fine. Like Chimchar on I You could also say the first 6 of that letter you see.
    eg. Prinplup, Pachirisu, others that begin with P

Lol at the "we're in a recession, so we need to save teh cash"
    This is Bidoof. Everybody hates him for no reason.If you agree that Bidoof should be treated with respect then copy and paste this into your sig (started by surfer treecko)

Quote Originally Posted by Bell56 View Post
    I find it weird that Steel types are weak to Fighting types. I mean the last time that I punched or kicked something metal it hurt really bad and the object received no damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmagius View Post
    "Pokemon, turning your kids antisocial since 1996"

For the letter mode. are we allowed to use say Sceptile if our chosen letter is T since it is evolved from a Treecko?

Disappointed not to see "gender mode". Doesn't anyone remember resetting for females in Colosseum before FR and LG came out?

Anyway, yeah. Fill the dex so it shows stuff in gender/form order. I guess it's not "hard", but darned if it wouldn't take a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by yeminied View Post
    For the letter mode. are we allowed to use say Sceptile if our chosen letter is T since it is evolved from a Treecko?
    Sceptile has a T as well But Grovyle doesn't, if that's what you had meant.

I meant Pokémon that begin with it which is why I said Prinplup not Empoleon.
    But if you want to do it that way then do.
    This is Bidoof. Everybody hates him for no reason.If you agree that Bidoof should be treated with respect then copy and paste this into your sig (started by surfer treecko)

Quote Originally Posted by Bell56 View Post
    I find it weird that Steel types are weak to Fighting types. I mean the last time that I punched or kicked something metal it hurt really bad and the object received no damage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrmagius View Post
    "Pokemon, turning your kids antisocial since 1996"

What about a 6-pokemon challenge? Basically you always have to have a full team of six pokemon. When you find a pokemon you wanna train, you just drop it for a new one. I have been doing it on FireRed, ands it's not too bad. How about combine 6-Pokemon challenge mode with hardcore mode, making it have a full team of 6, and when a pokemon faints, swap for someone else?

EDIT: RANK UP!! RANK UP!! WOOT WOOT!! WOOT WOOT!!

1,000TH POST!!
    Laurence | Rock
    3325-1721-6092
    Onix | Shuckle | Nosepass

Legendary- play through game without saving. (Means no using Underground and no using PCs. Until the end of the game where it saves after you beat the Elite Four.)

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast