Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Shipping Names Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    Evangelion also plays a part in why Evashipping is the name for Paul x Reggie. Being they are brothers and IIRC Shinji from Evangelion also has a brother... *nod* Just thought i'd throw that in there. :B
    Actually, that's because Reggie = Reiji, and one of the characters is named Rei.
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

Quote Originally Posted by Toran Frostbite
    Actually, that's because Reggie = Reiji, and one of the characters is named Rei.
    Really? Heh, shows that I don't watch Evangelion. Mind you, Evashipping's a nice name. I like it, bizarrely. xD;

So long, best friend; Bryony Sarah White: 28/6/87 - 29/6/13
    Ships I've NamedTwitter

I thought I was the only person the consider Paul x Marina, yet found out the pairing had been named Eminentshipping. The origin of it interests me, is it because they both suceed at their chosen goals?
    Twins with Sonic Boom

Since I just put this in as part of a fanfic, I have to know, why is MizuhikiShipping = Cyrus & Cynthia? That might be even more bizarre than the SenirasuShipping name I just had to know about before...
    My bishie: Giselle
    Couples I claimed:
    Silver x Jasmine
    Gold x Whitney
    Joe x Giselle

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Packers Fan View Post
    Since I just put this in as part of a fanfic, I have to know, why is MizuhikiShipping = Cyrus & Cynthia? That might be even more bizarre than the SenirasuShipping name I just had to know about before...
    Answer is here: http://www.serebiiforums.com/showpos...8&postcount=58
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

Wow, thanks... certainly not what I expected, for sure.
    My bishie: Giselle
    Couples I claimed:
    Silver x Jasmine
    Gold x Whitney
    Joe x Giselle

I was going to ask about Evashipping until I managed to make the connection myself...

So this is probably some inside joke about Riley...
    But why is the ship of Riley and himself called Bathroomshipping? And then RileyxRitchie is called Bathroomfortwoshipping? (Or something along those lines; I'm tired...)
    I know I'm definitely missing something here, haha ^^;;

Also, I probably don't get this because I haven't read the GSC manga but...
    Why is Silver x Crystal called Redemptionshipping?

d00med n0w

Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    Also, I probably don't get this because I haven't read the GSC manga but...
    Why is Silver x Crystal called Redemptionshipping?
    Redemptionshipping only applies to their gameverse characters, Kamon and Kris. SilverxCrystal is SpecialJewelshipping.
    I SUPPORT PEARLSHIPPING!
    It really was third time lucky for Ash!

^ o0o right. Because I realized after posting that I've seen it referred to SpecialJewelshipping too...

d00med n0w

Anyone know the origin of Channelshipping (Zapdos x Latias)? It seems to be a strange name for that pairing...

Because they channel energy (lightning, psychic attacks). ...Though mostly, it just "sounded" good when I supposed it to Vy (and by sounded, I mean "looked" like an associative word...you don't wanna know what I'm talkin' about, really x.x).
    Get it right.

Quote Originally Posted by esm8m
    Anyone know the origin of Channelshipping (Zapdos x Latias)? It seems to be a strange name for that pairing...
    What Toraphi said. Before Arceus came on the scene Zapdos and Latias were my favourite legendaries and I was after a name for them for... dammit, MONTHS. Until I got Channelshipping the suggestions I got beforehard were, to be blunt, crap... so I took it with the haste. The reason behind the name just sealed the deal.

Ships I've NamedTwitter

Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    So this is probably some inside joke about Riley...
    But why is the ship of Riley and himself called Bathroomshipping?
    I'm not a hundred percent sure, but I imagine it's the same reason Gary x himself is Handshipping and seven-hundred other things that imply the exact same thing.
    Grown-ups click the spoiler:
        Spoiler:- Uh-oh! The 'M' word!:

Of course, it could also reference some inane inside-joke that I've never considered before. xD And I have no idea for Riley x Ritchie.

Art and banner by me | Click it to visit my Pokemon fanart gallery!

I have returned with, what I like to call, the "Team Galactic Q&A Hour"

ConjuctionShipping Saturn x Mars - why that? Unless it's based on an old School House Rock song, I have no idea why.

JovianShipping Saturn x Jupiter - again, why? I think of the name as "jovial", and really, neither is very jovial tbqh.

BetelgeuseShipping Cyrus x Mars - I had to doublecheck the spelling a few times @_@ I've never heard this word before, so what the heck is it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out :3
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi View Post

ConjuctionShipping Saturn x Mars - why that? Unless it's based on an old School House Rock song, I have no idea why.

JovianShipping Saturn x Jupiter - again, why? I think of the name as "jovial", and really, neither is very jovial tbqh.

BetelgeuseShipping Cyrus x Mars - I had to doublecheck the spelling a few times @_@ I've never heard this word before, so what the heck is it?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out :3
    I can help! :3

Conjunctionshipping named because of the astrological/astronomical term in which two celestial bodies are visible near one another, from Earth usually. What's odd is that I'm pretty sure Mars and Saturn have never been in conjunction with one another... ;;

Jovianshipping is named because both Saturn and Jupiter are Jovian planets or the "gas giants".

Betelgeuseshipping - Betelgeuse is a red star, one of the largest known. Mars is the red planet and Cyrus means sun, which is also a star...thus Betelgeuseshipping!

Yayy, now I feel helpful!

d00med n0w

Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi View Post

I like the sound of the bold. o)

I went on a hunt to determine the origin of that tragic name... since it was spelled wrong in the List for a good year or two. You fell victim to it's trap, it's actually Conjunction with that 'n' in the middle there but it's been misspelled for ages so hey :P
    All I came up with was potentially the lulziest failure ever. In astronomy it's when planets/the sun/Earth's moon line up with one another. Sort of like an eclipse but for planets.
    Specifically mentioned was the alignment of Saturn and, oh man, Jupiter, so I wonder if the original namer got their commanders wrong. And TRO is right, Saturn and Mars haven't been in conjunction but I think they're going to sometime or other... or maybe that was in 2100-something.

As for Jovian and Beteimpossibletospellevenforme TRO's got you covered.
    Though Jove is another name for Zeus/Jupiter/that main god you hear about and the word Jovian means 'of Jupiter'. Hence the name. The planet Jupiter's moons are called Jovian satellites, according to intelligence master Eszett.

And I've named every Pluto ship there is. o) For the record if anyone wants to know the crack-induced origins of some of those names lol.

I actually sort of wonder just why Ash x Dawn is called Pearlshipping, myself. I mean yes there's Pearl the guy and Pearl the game but where's the connection to Ash come in?

Quote Originally Posted by Yeti View Post
    I actually sort of wonder just why Ash x Dawn is called Pearlshipping, myself. I mean yes there's Pearl the guy and Pearl the game but where's the connection to Ash come in?
    Conveniently, that very topic is being discussed in the Pearlshipping thread right now. And Katsu Koneko supplied the answer.

Actually no. ^^; It was named by a nevermet shipping hater. It was going to be Diamondshipping, but it was already named.
    Going with what she said, if I'm correct, this was named when the Battle Frontier was still going on, and when Dawn was confirmed to be in the anime for the new series. And if I'm not, I'll "guessitmate" that it was named during the first two episodes of the DP series, when Ash and Dawn hadn't met yet.
    Last edited by Sonic Boom; 11th March 2009 at 6:49 AM.

Wasn't it named so because everyone thought that "Pearl" would be the name slated for the girl? Diamond would have been male hero, but everyone did think the female hero would be Pearl, like how Brendan is Ruby ("game" and manga wise) and May is Sapphire. They didn't expect Pearl to be Jun, and people sort of whined for a short time afterward.

This was DEFINITELY named pre-series. It might have been named once we knew what Lucas and Dawn looked like, and everyone assumed Dawn would be the next lady-in-waiting for Ash (which they were right).

In the same vein, Fortune was coined right after we learned what the 4th Gen games were going to be called.
    Last edited by Toran Frostbite; 11th March 2009 at 2:14 PM.
    Get it right.

There are a few I'm curious about:

VentShipping - Wallace and Flannery

MarbleShipping - Byron and Fantina

EnergyShipping - Volkner and Roark
    Last edited by FlyingEevee; 11th March 2009 at 7:51 PM.
    "Fire and water don't really mix. You could say they're incompatible. But when they do love each other, they love passionately." - Cornelia Funke, Inkspell.

Current Pokemon ships: FerrisWheel, DualRival, Manga, Wishful.

Conjunctionshipping... there's more to it than that. Trust me, I submitted the name. Complete with year-old typo. 8D

Pearlshipping was, as Toraphi said, a pre-series ship. As soon as it was known that the first D/P series of Pokemon was doing to be called "Diamond and Pearl" people used Pearlshipping in the same way as Advanceshipping was insta-coined for Ash x May. Diamondshipping was the first choice however. YET in cases like SapphirePearlshipping people assumed that Dawn's manga counterpart would be Pearl...

A vent is usually attached to walls of bathrooms to let out hot air and bring in cooler air. That's where Ventshipping comes from; Flannery's the heat, Wallace the cold.

Marbleshipping... oh fucksticks I should fucking know this as Bryony named it. *head-Dr Pepper can* I'll come back with that. x.X

Lightning/electricity and coal are two types of energy that we ozone-screwing humans need to get through life, hense Energyshipping for Roark x Volkner. Yepz.

Ships I've NamedTwitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    Conjunctionshipping... there's more to it than that. Trust me, I submitted the name. Complete with year-old typo. 8D
    !
    =O!
    If you're ever bored I wouldn't mind hearing the explanation behind it... just from my own dictionary.comming the meaning of the word I was left confused as to why it was used... I mean I could see why but yeah.

And thanks for explaining Pearl, it makes sense if it was named pre-series.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingEevee View Post
    EnergyShipping - Volkner and Roark
    Just to add about what Vycksta said about this...
    Roark is the Gym Leader of Oreburgh City, which is also know as the City of Energy.
    Volkner is the Leader of Sunyshore City, and that place is all big on solar-powered energy.

So it can come from that too.

...And, like Yeti, I'm also curious to the real reasoning behind Conjunctionshipping...

d00med n0w

Okay so anyways... Conjunctionshipping. The ship that everyone loves to bitch on.

So yeah, you all have the gist of it... just with a kinda-slight-personal twist. Back when Mars was first introduced I was all batshit for her and still am in a sense especially when it comes to Exodiashipping and the commanders in general... therefore wanted names for the three possible combos. I named Sinfulshipping by my own accord, Tabby Catty gave me Jovianshipping and... the twin helped me with Conjunctionshipping. She had read about it in the astrological terms but was all BUT MARS AND SATURN HAVE NEVER ALIGNED OH NOEZ. But I was all NO WAIT IT IS PERFECT cause she had just begun her love for Saturn, both of us were not keen on Saturn and Mars as a couple... and according to the astronomy boffins if Mars and Saturn ever became in conjunction with one another it would cause a lot of negativity. Both in space and psychologically.

TL;DR IT WAS HATED BACK THEN TOO. 8D

But the typo was not done on purpose. Everyone and their cats should know that i'm heavily prone to them. *shifty ninja look*

Ships I've NamedTwitter

Cool topic, very useful :3

I've always wanted to know where does "Canterburyshipping" (MayxJun) come from. I know it's an english city but how does it relate to those two? )

Quote Originally Posted by Rissychan View Post
    Cool topic, very useful :3

I've always wanted to know where does "Canterburyshipping" (MayxJun) come from. I know it's an english city but how does it relate to those two? )
    ...ohgod, nonononononono. Canterbury is NOT May/Jun. No no no THIS IS WHY WE DO NOT CALL JUN "DAMION". *panic attack*

That's DAMIAN. The original owner of Charmander.

Canterbury comes from the Canterbury Tale by Chaucer. Specifically, the Merchant's Tale. Pie explains it here

May/Jun is Calendarshipping. x___________X
    Get it right.

Page 2 of 26 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast