Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425

Thread: Shipping Names Explained

Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    Alrighty Serena, I'm certain this one is yours: why the name Tinkleshipping for Astrid x Francesca?
    yup you are right that one i think is mine

For Francesca I think it is very obvious that it has to do with her Chingling which is known as a wind chime pkmn and of course bells chime as for Astrid usually I want to refer her as the moon when i'm shipping her with a pair, tinkle here in my interpretation could also be similar to twinkle. At first I was going to use Twinkle but I know it would definitely be taken so I had to go with the backup name which is Tinkle. Tinkle means chime or jingle

Fun fact: most of the pairs that i named usually didn't make any sense, its usually whatever name enters my mind is what i always use for getting a name

hehe i got a question on my own too

CabbageShipping - Drew & Angie (I only get Drew because his hair would resemble one but I don't get Angie)
    ButterShipping - Flannery & Rosa ( I think I get Flannery's part somehow but what about Rosa)
    SoleilShipping - Lucas & Mint ( I think I get Mint's part but I don't get what Lucas has to do with this)
    SonGokuShipping - Altaria & Infernape ( what's Altaria's connection here???)
    Last edited by SerenaForTheWin; 11th September 2014 at 11:12 PM.
    Fun facts: To those who are curious, Serena has been made as the shipper's favouritism - currently she has the most shipping pairs involving hers ( a total of 815 as of the august submission) behind her is Dawn ( with a total of 696)

TRIVIA: Every month there is approximately 1000 new submissions on the shipping thread, and this will probably continue until all names have been used. Come generation 7 I'm pretty sure we are going to run out of names

They're the same
        Spoiler:- open at your own risk:

Why don't you blame others before blaming me

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaForTheWin
    For Francesca I think it is very obvious that it has to do with her Chingling which is known as a wind chime pkmn and of course bells chime as for Astrid usually I want to refer her as the moon when i'm shipping her with a pair, tinkle here in my interpretation could also be similar to twinkle. At first I was going to use Twinkle but I know it would definitely be taken so I had to go with the backup name which is Tinkle. Tinkle means chime or jingle

Fun fact: most of the pairs that i named usually didn't make any sense, its usually whatever name enters my mind is what i always use for getting a name
    There's nothing wrong with that! I have been guilty of doing that in the past myself, especially with a bunch of my older submitted Lyra ships!

Thank you for the explanation.

ButterShipping - Flannery & Rosa ( I think I get Flannery's part somehow but what about Rosa)
    Buttershipping is one of mine, so it's only right that I, in turn, explain this...

I'm a sucker for a good saying or quote, and one of the many I know is "Butter wouldn't melt in their mouth", used to explain or describe an innocent-looking person, usually female, who had a hidden agenda of sorts. Rosa, with her pastel get-up and wide eyes, screams innocence as far as I'm concerned, with her "hidden agenda" being her consideration into having a relationship with someone older than her and of the same gender. Flannery being a Fire-type Gym Leader only helps the matter here, as fire would melt the butter, therefore taking away Rosa's "innocence" even further.

So long, best friend; Bryony Sarah White: 28/6/87 - 29/6/13
    Ships I've NamedTwitter

Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    There's nothing wrong with that! I have been guilty of doing that in the past myself, especially with a bunch of my older submitted Lyra ships!

Thank you for the explanation.

Buttershipping is one of mine, so it's only right that I, in turn, explain this...

I'm a sucker for a good saying or quote, and one of the many I know is "Butter wouldn't melt in their mouth", used to explain or describe an innocent-looking person, usually female, who had a hidden agenda of sorts. Rosa, with her pastel get-up and wide eyes, screams innocence as far as I'm concerned, with her "hidden agenda" being her consideration into having a relationship with someone older than her and of the same gender. Flannery being a Fire-type Gym Leader only helps the matter here, as fire would melt the butter, therefore taking away Rosa's "innocence" even further.
    thanks i get where it derives now

still had more questions to be settled aside from those i post

JingoismShipping - Mars & Volkner ( um why this name?)
    JocastaShipping - Lucas & Cynthia ( what is a Jocasta anyway)
    JezebelShipping - Petrel & Lyra ( how the hell did Petrel got involve here, becoz I know that Jezebel must refer to a siren iirc)
    KotetsuShipping - Garret & Jasmine ( how did Garret got involve here)
    Fun facts: To those who are curious, Serena has been made as the shipper's favouritism - currently she has the most shipping pairs involving hers ( a total of 815 as of the august submission) behind her is Dawn ( with a total of 696)

TRIVIA: Every month there is approximately 1000 new submissions on the shipping thread, and this will probably continue until all names have been used. Come generation 7 I'm pretty sure we are going to run out of names

They're the same

Quote Originally Posted by SerenaForTheWin View Post
    JingoismShipping - Mars & Volkner ( um why this name?)
    I remember someone explained Jingoism before and I thought it was in an old post in this thread, but at the moment, I'm a little lazy to look for it. lol According to Wikipedia:
    Jingoism is patriotism in the form of aggressive foreign policy.[1] Jingoism also refers to a country's advocation of the use of threats or actual force, as against peaceful relations, either economic or political, with other countries, in order to safeguard what it perceives as its national interests. Colloquially, it refers to excessive bias in judging one's own country as superior to others—an extreme type of nationalism.
    So maybe it has something to do with elitism? Volkner as the strongest Sinnoh Gym Leader and Mars believing in Team Galactic's goal in making a superior world? That would be my guess until I find that old post. =P

JocastaShipping - Lucas & Cynthia ( what is a Jocasta anyway)
    Jocasta is a character from Greek mythology. Famously, she's known as Oedipus' mother... You know, the guy who ended up marrying his mother after becoming king of Thebes? My guess is that the ship name loosely alludes to the fact that your shipping a kid with a lady who could possibly be around Johanna's age (no one actually knows Cynthia's age after all). =P *shot*

JezebelShipping - Petrel & Lyra ( how the hell did Petrel got involve here, becoz I know that Jezebel must refer to a siren iirc)
    Jezebel is actually a lady from the bible (or at least from biblical stories). She's known for worshipping false deities (meaning, anyone other than God) and promiscuity... I honestly have no idea what the name has to do with Petrel OR Lyra, but I'm guessing it's the fact that Lyra is just so shipping that it seems like she's cheating on everyone else she's supposedly shipped with? XD *shot*

KotetsuShipping - Garret & Jasmine ( how did Garret got involve here)
    This is pretty much lost on me because I rarely play the Ranger series. Google search on "Kotetsu" really didn't come up with much either unless the person who named the ship did so with Naruto in mind (#1 result on Google was Kotetsu Hagane). As for Garret and Jasmine connection... Garret has a Scizor and since that's a Steel-type Pokemon... *shrug*

In-game Name: Monica
    3DS Friend Code: 5026-4978-3429

Thank you PopPrincess_Lyra for the awesome ResistanceShipping banner!

Quote Originally Posted by MonMonCandie View Post
    I remember someone explained Jingoism before and I thought it was in an old post in this thread, but at the moment, I'm a little lazy to look for it. lol According to Wikipedia:

So maybe it has something to do with elitism? Volkner as the strongest Sinnoh Gym Leader and Mars believing in Team Galactic's goal in making a superior world? That would be my guess until I find that old post. =P

Jocasta is a character from Greek mythology. Famously, she's known as Oedipus' mother... You know, the guy who ended up marrying his mother after becoming king of Thebes? My guess is that the ship name loosely alludes to the fact that your shipping a kid with a lady who could possibly be around Johanna's age (no one actually knows Cynthia's age after all). =P *shot*

Jezebel is actually a lady from the bible (or at least from biblical stories). She's known for worshipping false deities (meaning, anyone other than God) and promiscuity... I honestly have no idea what the name has to do with Petrel OR Lyra, but I'm guessing it's the fact that Lyra is just so shipping that it seems like she's cheating on everyone else she's supposedly shipped with? XD *shot*

This is pretty much lost on me because I rarely play the Ranger series. Google search on "Kotetsu" really didn't come up with much either unless the person who named the ship did so with Naruto in mind (#1 result on Google was Kotetsu Hagane). As for Garret and Jasmine connection... Garret has a Scizor and since that's a Steel-type Pokemon... *shrug*
    men thanks for all the explanation, though i'm still really intrigued about JezebelShipping - i think i get Lyra's part but Petrel is a no no

these names looks to me have tricky derivations somehow :/

They're the same

No problem. ^^ And because I just saw this one:

SonGokuShipping - Altaria & Infernape ( what's Altaria's connection here???)
    My guess of Altaria's connection is that it plays Flying Nimbus to Infernape's Goku because Altaria is partly made of clouds. LOL For anyone who doesn't know what I'm thinking about, it's a Dragon Ball reference.

Why is JauneamiteShipping the ship of Ash, Clemont, and Serena? I mean, Diode, Amour, and GeekChic 's names make sense, but not this ship name.
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

Planned ORAS Team:

Quote Originally Posted by Mudkip Oshawott Piplup View Post
    Why is JauneamiteShipping the ship of Ash, Clemont, and Serena? I mean, Diode, Amour, and GeekChic 's names make sense, but not this ship name.
    Forgive my poor French (I used a bit of Google Translate), but I think it means something along the line of "yellow friend". Jaune is French for "yellow" and Ami is French for "friend". Not sure where the "te" part comes from, but it's probably a French particle/clause?? My guess is that the ship name refers to Ash having friends who obviously have blonde hair (Clemont and Serena).

Forgive my poor French (I used a bit of Google Translate), but I think it means something along the line of "yellow friend". Jaune is French for "yellow" and Ami is French for "friend". Not sure where the "te" part comes from, but it's probably a French particle/clause?? My guess is that the ship name refers to Ash having friends who obviously have blonde hair (Clemont and Serena).
    You're right about the meaning behind both words, but I just want to point out that amite also means friend or friendship. Ami, Amie and Amite are simply different spellings of the same word.

♥ Giving away ORAS demo codes.
    PM me for one (Europe only) ♥

hey that's the ship i named but MonmonCradle and Meowth city seem to have explained it right

Jaune means yellow in french, while this Amitie i'm referring it was actually a pun to the english word amity

and when you put it together that exactly means yellow friendship

so yeah that's how this ship name derived its name
    Last edited by SerenaForTheWin; 21st September 2014 at 10:58 PM.

They're the same

men thanks for all the explanation, though i'm still really intrigued about JezebelShipping - i think i get Lyra's part but Petrel is a no no

these names looks to me have tricky derivations somehow :/
    Petrels part probably refers to the fact that Jezebel is to do with false prophets and technically you could refer to Petrel as a false prohet as he predicts Govanni will return and tries to influence people to support TR at the radio tower.

Quote Originally Posted by Luthor View Post
    Petrels part probably refers to the fact that Jezebel is to do with false prophets and technically you could refer to Petrel as a false prohet as he predicts Govanni will return and tries to influence people to support TR at the radio tower.
    well at least this time after that explanation, it all makes sense to me somehow

They're the same

Quote Originally Posted by Meowth City View Post
    You're right about the meaning behind both words, but I just want to point out that amite also means friend or friendship. Ami, Amie and Amite are simply different spellings of the same word.
    hey that's the ship i named but MonmonCradle and Meowth city seem to have explained it right

Jaune means yellow in french, while this Amitie i'm referring it was actually a pun to the english word amity

Oh, thanks, guys! I didn't know about 'amite', so that's good to know.

Wow, that's actually a good interpretation on Petrel's part. I sort of forgot that the TR admins pretty much saw Giovanni as god-like... Well, Archer certainly believed it in Pokemon Adventures. lol

Anyways! I have a few ship names I'd like help with too:

TolkienShipping (Ramos/Wikstrom/Diantha/Drasna/Valerie) - I have a feeling it has something to do with Lord of the Rings, but just...why?
    DelilahShipping (Bruno/Karen) - Ideas?
    DinShipping (Malva/Valerie) - Again, ideas?

YELLOW FRIENDSHIP!!! (Sounds like a friendshio between Bianca, Barry, and Clemont)
    Need to complete the Pokedex!

Anna the Pokémon Breeder and hopefully future Coordinator

Planned ORAS Team:

YELLOW FRIENDSHIP!!! (Sounds like a friendshio between Bianca, Barry, and Clemont)
    i know that already because i was also planning to use that name but i'm going to assume that somewhere in the future, people would want to use that name so i had to backup myself finding another name where people probably won't get to think of a name about it

and then i found JauneAmitie instead

Oh, thanks, guys! I didn't know about 'amite', so that's good to know.

Wow, that's actually a good interpretation on Petrel's part. I sort of forgot that the TR admins pretty much saw Giovanni as god-like... Well, Archer certainly believed it in Pokemon Adventures. lol

Anyways! I have a few ship names I'd like help with too:

TolkienShipping (Ramos/Wikstrom/Diantha/Drasna/Valerie) - I have a feeling it has something to do with Lord of the Rings, but just...why?
    DinShipping (Malva/Valerie) - Again, ideas?
    DelilahShipping is already an old submission so it will be better if you can find the person who will explained it or maybe Luthor can help you - he's the one who've been explaining the shipping pairs which i don't get

as for DinShipping and TolkienShipping both pairs are submitted on tumblr but since its a anon who submitted it, it will be very hard to find an explanation

with DinShipping somewhere last year while TolkienShipping was submitted somewhere recently which is last month to be exact

and oh great i had a question of my own

AptitudeShipping - Ash & Sapphire ( the word aptitude reminds me of test or exams during school, i think I get Ash's part since he seems to have concern with ability but what about Sapphire, i didn't read the manga so i didn't have the slightest idea -_- )
    Last edited by SerenaForTheWin; 22nd September 2014 at 8:26 AM.

They're the same

i know that already because i was also planning to use that name but i'm going to assume that somewhere in the future, people would want to use that name so i had to backup myself finding another name where people probably won't get to think of a name about it

and then i found JauneAmitie instead

DelilahShipping is already an old submission so it will be better if you can find the person who will explained it or maybe Luthor can help you - he's the one who've been explaining the shipping pairs which i don't get

as for DinShipping and TolkienShipping both pairs are submitted on tumblr but since its a anon who submitted it, it will be very hard to find an explanation

with DinShipping somewhere last year while TolkienShipping was submitted somewhere recently which is last month to be exact

and oh great i had a question of my own

AptitudeShipping - Ash & Sapphire ( the word aptitude reminds me of test or exams during school, i think I get Ash's part since he seems to have concern with ability but what about Sapphire, i didn't read the manga so i didn't have the slightest idea -_- )
    Right with DelilahShipping I assume it's a reference to the biblical story of Samson and Delilah. Bruno matches the decrisption of the long haired strongman while Karen as the dark type leader could easily be the temptress Delilah. This would also fit in with Bruno's comment that he's made his pokemon strong wearas Karen says Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people.

Din is a tough one Din can mean a loud, confused noise; a continued loud or tumultuous sound; noisy clamor. This could fit in with Malva having pokemon that cause confusion and know sound type moves like hyper voice. She also does a lot of yelling in game. Valerie seems generally quite confused in game talks alot but doesn't seem to make much of a point. Din can also mean religious judgement or rules. So this could fit in with Malva's almost religious obsession of team flare and Valeries mysterious nature but obssession to relate to her pokemon so much so she dresses specifically to do it. Plus it fits in wither her title of the maiden from the land with history.

tolkienshipping i assume is a reference to the author and each character represents a character in one of his books. I'm completely guessing on the characters they represnt though Ramos= Gandalf or Radagast the Brown, Wikstrom= Aragorn, Drasna=Eowyn, Valarie=Arwen guess that's up to interpretation.

AptitudeShipping means a natural ability to do something. probably relate to both characters having natural battle aptitude or the fact that both had the aptitude to get all the gym badges they went for. Both also have an aptitude for many random skills as well.

I'm curious about this names:

MorpheusShipping (Ash & Angie)
    OutCryShipping ( May & Paul)
    ZionShipping (Jackie Walker & May)
    SitruunaShipping ( Ash & Bonnie)
    The World is mine ♥

"Love You Mama, Love You May"

AdvanceShipping PokéShipping WishfulShipping SequelShipping

like i say i didn't read the pkmn manga so i had no idea about it , but at least it looks better now to me

Quote Originally Posted by BubChan View Post

SitruunaShipping ( Ash & Bonnie)
    how i didn't notice this, sorry i can only give you the explanation for SitruunaShipping

Sitruuna is actually a finnish word for lemon, as for Ash i think the reason is just like AegislashShipping where he is an extra

tolkienshipping i assume is a reference to the author and each character represents a character in one of his books. I'm completely guessing on the characters they represnt though Ramos= Gandalf or Radagast the Brown, Wikstrom= Aragorn, Drasna=Eowyn, Valarie=Arwen guess that's up to interpretation.

this is your assumption so this is not very accurate but it'll be actually better if you can find the anon person in tumblr, i'm pretty sure he has a different explanation for this

aside from that my second guess could be referring to the tolkien person himself - Wikstrom could probably be British from his name, Ramos could be the person who look like Tolkien while Drasna & Valerie could represent Tolkien's hobby which is fantasy

well you know some people come up with cracky names in unexpected moments
    Last edited by SerenaForTheWin; 23rd September 2014 at 12:02 AM.

They're the same

Quote Originally Posted by BubChan View Post

The name MorpheusShipping is from Morpheus, the Greek god of dreams, to represent their mutual feelings for their lessons (by sleeping through them).

Outcry means a strong expression of public disapproval or anger. Something Paul did alot and May did quite a few times when she was annoyed or Hungry. It can also mean an exclamation or shout which is something both characters do a lot. Plus there would be an outcry in the fandom if a relationship like that ever happened given a fervently people ship them with others.

Zion is a Hebrew word which became a metonym for Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem, the city of Jerusalem and generally, the World to Come which goes along with May and Jackie seeking the temple of the sea.

SerenaForTheWin & Luthor: Many thanks for the clarifications! The Dalilah one I would have never thought... XD

SerenaForTheWin & Luthor: Many thanks for the clarifications! The Dalilah one I would have never thought... XD
    the only one i could only explain were the recent submissions since they're newer, as the older ones let luthor take care of it

hehe you're welcome as always

They're the same

How about some of these (Flint ships...I was looking for something new to write lol)?

CallShipping (Flint/Roark/Volkner/Dawn/Gardenia)
    ClinkerShipping (Flint/Cynthia)
    FoehnShipping (Flint/BW!Bianca)
    SlightedShipping (Flint/Sidney) <-- Becoming a favorite

Page 25 of 25 FirstFirst ... 152122232425