Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 545

Thread: Shipping Names Explained

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Off the face of the earth
    Posts
    189

    Default

    I'm curious to know why DiamondXPlatina (In Pokespe) is known as Commonershipping.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sore wa himitsu desu~
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kaedemirumo View Post
    I'm curious to know why DiamondXPlatina (In Pokespe) is known as Commonershipping.
    Having no idea on Special, 'cause I don't read it, I think the explanation was because Platina calls Dia a commoner.
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

    shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christmas Town
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toran Frostbite View Post
    ...ohgod, nonononononono. Canterbury is NOT May/Jun. No no no THIS IS WHY WE DO NOT CALL JUN "DAMION". *panic attack*

    That's DAMIAN. The original owner of Charmander.

    Canterbury comes from the Canterbury Tale by Chaucer. Specifically, the Merchant's Tale. Pie explains it here

    May/Jun is Calendarshipping. x___________X
    Omg really? xD I'm gonna correct that on my youtube vid thanks ^^"

    Anyway I'm curious to why it's named Calendarshipping x3;

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    .........................
    Posts
    840

    Default

    Can someone tell me why is Buck x Mira call NuclearShipping?
    credit to GrovyleCelebi for the banner, come and join us.

    I offically claim Cheekyshipping/ Max/Masato x Mira/Miru

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sore wa himitsu desu~
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rissychan View Post
    Omg really? xD I'm gonna correct that on my youtube vid thanks ^^"

    Anyway I'm curious to why it's named Calendarshipping x3;
    'Cause the name Jun is pronounced "June" in Japanese. Truth.

    Quote Originally Posted by darklord18 View Post
    Can someone tell me why is Buck x Mira call NuclearShipping?
    Nope. The submitter never gave a reason. But some don't have a reason. /I'd/ call it nuclear because the word associates itself, in my mind, with the colors of a sunset, and their combined hair colors are certainly that. Or because Buck's Claydol can potentially learn selfdestruct/explosion and Mira's got that small-girl energy, both of which can relate to nuclear power.
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

    shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Somewhere I'd rather not be
    Posts
    233

    Default

    Thanks for the explanations. Ship names confuse me.

    I've found a few more to add to the Marbleshipping mystery...

    AceShipping: Aaron and Cynthia

    ShootsDownShipping: Zoey and Kenny

    SnazzyShipping: Lucian and Cynthia
    "Fire and water don't really mix. You could say they're incompatible. But when they do love each other, they love passionately." - Cornelia Funke, Inkspell.

    Current Pokemon ships: FerrisWheel, DualRival, Manga, Wishful.


  7. #57
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingEevee View Post
    Thanks for the explanations. Ship names confuse me.

    I've found a few more to add to the Marbleshipping mystery...

    AceShipping: Aaron and Cynthia

    ShootsDownShipping: Zoey and Kenny

    SnazzyShipping: Lucian and Cynthia
    Aceshipping...I have no clue actually.

    I'm assuming ShootsDownshipping is because when Dawn rejects them both (ie, "shoots them down") they'll have to go to one another for solace! LOL
    Again, just an assumption, so the real reason would be nice. ...Unless I'm actually right, sort of.

    And Snazzyshipping I think is because Lucian and Cynthia are both snazzy-lookin' people. *shot* Hey, it's true!

    d00med n0w

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sore wa himitsu desu~
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingEevee View Post
    AceShipping: Aaron and Cynthia

    ShootsDownShipping: Zoey and Kenny

    SnazzyShipping: Lucian and Cynthia
    Snazzy is referencing their taste in fashion.

    ShootsDown, I believe, is in reference to Dawn "shooting them both down" in terms of dating. It's a Pearl/Ikari-support 'ship: getting two people out of the way so she can be with someone else.

    No idea on Ace, but I got two theories.
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

    shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Shimmying with some Sneasels
    Posts
    11,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FlyingEevee
    AceShipping: Aaron and Cynthia
    The namer (( A random LJ user )) finds them both ace; "Aaron for using an underappriciated type, Cynthia for being the first champion to use a misc. range of Pokemon."

    May I stress that D/P were said namer's first Pokemon games so therefore didn't know about Blue/Gary.
    Last edited by Vycksta; 15th March 2009 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Typo-prone nitwit strikes again!

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Fight Area, Sinnoh
    Posts
    249

    Default

    I have more questions...

    CrepuscularShipping (Wes x Paul)
    CopacabanaShipping (Red x Sakura)
    69Shipping (Rui x May)

    Does anyone know the origins of these? (Especially the middle one. What does it have to do with Copacabana?)

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    elsewhere
    Posts
    1,077

    Default

    Ahh yes, I've always wondered about Crepuscularshipping as well... I know what the words mean, but I don't see the relationship between it and WesxPaul...

    Does anyone know how Aiorerialshipping (Roxanne x Sabrina) got its name? It seems really weird to me and I have no clue what it could possibly be about.

    Also, I think I might've known how Akatukishipping (Cyrus x Dawn) got it's name, but don't remember... Anyone care to refresh my memory? ;P

    d00med n0w

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Surferio
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    I named Akatsuki, so I know this one. X3 Akatsuki means red dawn. Akagi has red in it (aka) and Hikari's dub name is dawn. That was the biggest reason, but there's also the Naruto reference everyone seems to think is the main reason, which is basically that Sakura (main girl like Hikari) got paired off with all the villains in Akatsuki.

    So yeah, that was my reasoning on that one. I'm amazed this is only the second ship I've named that's shown up in this thread. X3
    Bishies: Luppi & Lady Bat|C.Bishie: Clopin|VG.Bishie: Gale|Pokemon: Ariados
    Ships: ReijixSaturn, KafeixVaati, MeltxLezard & NoelxLeon
    Twin: Vycksta

    Shipping Face-Off (Ultimate Face-Off of 2007): Best Shinji/Paul Ship

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    3 am
    Posts
    2,826

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity View Post
    Ahh yes, I've always wondered about Crepuscularshipping as well... I know what the words mean, but I don't see the relationship between it and WesxPaul...
    I'll take a whack at it.

    Crépuscule is the French word for "sunset". Much like this natural phenomenon, it symbolizes the loss of 'light' in one's soul, thus replacing it with the 'darkness' of the night. Both Wes and Paul are considered 'dark' characters due to their natures, thus lacking what 'light' they may have lost in their souls. Though, unlike the totality of night, there is still some light during the sunset, thus meaning that their personalities aren't totally dark after all.

    Does that make sense? ^^


    Yay, in-depth angsty analysis ftw.
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    Diamondshipping was the first choice however.
    If I'd known way back when that there'd be a game called Diamond, I'd never have named Gio/Delia that.

    But if anyone wonders, that name came about because of Pokemon Live, that stage production that gratutiously ships them. In it, Giovanni has the "Diamondbadge". So yeah.


    On the subject of Gio ships, how did Airshipping get its name? I mean yes, Jirarudan has (well...HAD) an airship, but Giovanni's element is Ground.
    The world's greatest collector as drawn by Yoru Ryu
    Fancy Jirarudan too? Then you'll enjoy my fic Obsession! (updated June 29th, 2014)
    Or better yet, join my LJ comm Ware Wa Collector!
    Check out some of my other fics!
    Answering Machine (strong XY spoilers--winner of Most Heartbreaking Scene 2013!)

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Shimmying with some Sneasels
    Posts
    11,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Renowned Obscurity
    Does anyone know how Aiorerialshipping (Roxanne x Sabrina) got its name? It seems really weird to me and I have no clue what it could possibly be about.
    Aiorerial was the name of an Espeon in a MAJORLY LONG fanfiction I wrote on-and-off when I was 15. Said Pokemon belonged to an OC of mine (( I had 16 overall in the fic lawlz )) and well... crushed on humans. Sabrina was Aiorerial's first crush and after a few years it was Roxanne.

    Man that fanfiction was fun. However it will never see the light of day; I stopped writing it after making FannedFlamesshipping canon... which i'm not even a fan of anymore. *waves Bifrostshipping flag*

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christmas Town
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tadashi View Post
    I'll take a whack at it.

    Crépuscule is the French word for "sunset". Much like this natural phenomenon, it symbolizes the loss of 'light' in one's soul, thus replacing it with the 'darkness' of the night. Both Wes and Paul are considered 'dark' characters due to their natures, thus lacking what 'light' they may have lost in their souls. Though, unlike the totality of night, there is still some light during the sunset, thus meaning that their personalities aren't totally dark after all.

    Does that make sense? ^^


    Yay, in-depth angsty analysis ftw.
    I think I can help there since I'm french ^^"
    "Crépuscule" isn't actually "sunset" , it's that particular type of light before dawn and after the sunset. It's not either night or day , but your analysis is right ^^

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sore wa himitsu desu~
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rissychan View Post
    I think I can help there since I'm french ^^"
    "Crépuscule" isn't actually "sunset" , it's that particular type of light before dawn and after the sunset. It's not either night or day , but your analysis is right ^^
    ...You mean "twilight"? XD
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

    shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

  18. #68
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Christmas Town
    Posts
    557

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Toran Frostbite View Post
    ...You mean "twilight"? XD
    Yup either twilight or nightfall x3

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sore wa himitsu desu~
    Posts
    2,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackjack Gabbiani View Post
    On the subject of Gio ships, how did Airshipping get its name? I mean yes, Jirarudan has (well...HAD) an airship, but Giovanni's element is Ground.
    You know you're never going to get the right answer to this, yeah? I doub the one who made it isn't around anymore, or it certainly didn't come from here.

    ...Oh no. Ohnoohnoohnoohnoohno. Oh, DAMMIT. @.< Ohhhh, I screwed up. *runs back to her list*

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAB91 View Post
    Why that name? The world may never know.This is sarcasm btw.
    Dude, you're spamming, but I feel the need to correct you. The quote is, "BTW, that was sarcasm."
    Yaoi is a genre of homosexuality, not a synonym for it!
    Get it right.
    Hidden Leaf - Natane || Hayato - Wing Master || Phantom Menace - Matsuba || Renbu - Holy Knight

    shipping tumblr / Shippers Record Keeper of BMGf / Massive Collection of Unnamed 'Ships

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,284

    Default

    I think I can explain Airshipping. Mind you, this is just my best guess, but Lawrence III had an airship, and Giovanni is the leader of Team Rocket, a rocket being a type of airshipping. Instead of ()shipping, the name is a clever pun on "airship," since Airshipping does sound better than Airshipshipping (and a lot less redundant). Am I in the ballpark?
    Pokemon Y Friend Code: 3282-3535-2249

    Friend Safari: Pansage, Petilil, Gogoat

    As of now, my focus is on Safaris with starters (barring Wartortle and Quilladin), but give me your Safari anyway. Chances are I'll find something interesting.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Shimmying with some Sneasels
    Posts
    11,378

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JJAB91
    I'm spamming?
    Technically... yes you are. You're not here to answer questions about why a ship is named as it is and you have no ships that make you wonder where the fuck it got its name from. You might has well come in there and went HAY GUIZE POST COUNT PLUS ONE ELL OH ELL. But like you say... let's get over it ya?

    So people. Not that i'm a shipper but why is Ritchie x Callista 88mphshipping?

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Treasure Town
    Posts
    1,260

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vycksta View Post
    Technically... yes you are. You're not here to answer questions about why a ship is named as it is and you have no ships that make you wonder where the fuck it got its name from. You might has well come in there and went HAY GUIZE POST COUNT PLUS ONE ELL OH ELL. But like you say... let's get over it ya?

    So people. Not that i'm a shipper but why is Ritchie x Callista 88mphshipping?
    I'm not sure how Ritchie figures into it, or even if this is the right Callista, but since the Callista with the Baltoy had a time-traveling episode I'm going to go ahead and guess that it's a Back to the Future reference.

    (But now I'm curious what's specifically behind that name, too...)
    Last edited by Ampris; 20th March 2009 at 3:34 AM.

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Surferio
    Posts
    3,227

    Default

    If it is a Back to the Future reference, I'd guess Hiroshi's part is because of that Hoso epi where he went back in time with Serebii to save a Pokemon Center. I can't think of any other significance of 88mph, so...

    Warmshipping for Saturn x Suzuna... Is it alluding to Saturn warming her up or something? Them both warming each other up? Something completely different? Twas the only Saturn ship I saw that I couldn't say with any certainty (mostly because I've named most of them lawlz).

    And I know someone asked about Nejiki x Cattleya as CreepUpshipping, but I don't think it was answered... Is it because Cattleya stands behind Kokuran and Nejiki kinda pops into the room? Not exactly creeping up, but I dunno what else it could be...
    Bishies: Luppi & Lady Bat|C.Bishie: Clopin|VG.Bishie: Gale|Pokemon: Ariados
    Ships: ReijixSaturn, KafeixVaati, MeltxLezard & NoelxLeon
    Twin: Vycksta

    Shipping Face-Off (Ultimate Face-Off of 2007): Best Shinji/Paul Ship

  24. #74
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    The Deep (Fried) South
    Posts
    5,081

    Default

    "Cr&#233;puscule" isn't actually "sunset" , it's that particular type of light before dawn and after the sunset. It's not either night or day , but your analysis is right ^^
    The Perkenji (this spelling is completely wrong) effect? Twilight is kind of a time of day like sunset... Anyway, the P. effect is when everything turns kind of pink right before the sun goes down.

    Anyway, this thread sure is interesting. I don't know the names of a lot of the ships involving minor characters, so I don't have any questions, but... people sure are original when coming up with these names. They put a lot of work into it. And it's funny that a name with such a personal reason behind it comes to be used by so many people. I love how shippers have their own terminology... ah, internet shipping culture!
    These are my fanfics. Read them. Or not, whatever.
    Pokemon Generations: Satsumi's Journey (new!)
    My Fanfiction.net Profile

    This is my Tumblr. Read it if you are so inclined.
    The Philosophy of Shipping (shipdr.tumblr.com)

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Kentucky
    Posts
    261

    Default

    So. I have a couple (... may or may not be story-related) in question.

    VeilstoneShipping. Which would be Paul x Conway. I know Paul's from Veilstone, but is it simply because of that? I recall for a time at Bulbapedia that Conway was listed as being from Veilstone City as well, but then that was removed when it was shown that no one actually mentioned where he came from in canon (still to this day, I think). Is it because of that, or something else? Not sure if I just answered my own question there.

    CurtainShipping. Reggie x Maylene. This one I'm sure I have no clue what brought that about. You'd think from the word that this would be a Zoey-shipping.

    Travels of the Trifecta! - Chronicles of an estranged family!

    LJ | dA | Bulbagarden | ff.net

    Diamond: 2749 - 7749 - 1840
    SoulSilver: 2364 - 7834 - 3761

Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •