Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon! I Choose You (001)

This is probably my favourite episode of the entire Pokémon anime because it's the ep where Ash obtains Pikachu, the ep that begins the Pokémon anime and where he fails to capture a Pidgey.

Sugimori art used; Peace to Dragons and Fairies
    Banner created by me

Since Pikachu clearly didn't want to go with Ash,why didn't he make run for it after shocking everyone outside while he had the chance?
    Surely he could have got away before anyone recovered.

Quote Originally Posted by wildvaporeon View Post
    Since Pikachu clearly didn't want to go with Ash,why didn't he make run for it after shocking everyone outside while he had the chance?
    Surely he could have got away before anyone recovered.
    Maybe secretly he did want to go with Ash, but Pikachu has been hurt in past relationships so he didn't want to open himself up to heartbreak again.
    Having traveled through the Kanto (x2), Johto, Hoenn, Sinnoh, Unova and Kalos regions, plus the Orange & Decolore Islands, competing in six regional Pokémon League competitions, winning the Orange League, defeating the Kanto Battle Frontier, seeing/ meeting each of the rare and powerful Legendary/ Mythical Pokémon, some on numerous occasions, and continually fighting vigilantly against six villainous teams, Ash has apparently now decided to go to school.

When I watched it, I was quite confused how sudden Pikachu liked Ash from disliking him. Such as being laughed at when failing to catch Pidgey and then hugging (I think) him at the end and seeing Ho-Oh.

Banner created by me

I re-watched this recently and I wondered, do you think the anime would be better if the dex had kept up all its snarkiness? Like Dizzi from the original and early Beyblade or something. I mean it was quite a fun character but after a while insulting ash might be too cruel a running joke

This first episode of the anime was awesome especially when Ash met Pikachu since they didn't get along at all ha ha. The Spearow chase scene on the bicycle was intense and the music that played when the flock charged at Ash was gorgeous.

I actually really enjoy this episode and it premiered your first Jhoto Pokémon, Ho-Oh, before they even knew it. To this day is my favorite legendary. The quote in my biography is straight from this episode, when he yells at the Spearow. Definitely the beginning of something great.
    We all live in a Pokémon world.
        Spoiler:- ❤️:

Quote Originally Posted by Lexya428 View Post
    I actually really enjoy this episode and it premiered your first Jhoto Pokémon, Ho-Oh, before they even knew it. To this day is my favorite legendary. The quote in my biography is straight from this episode, when he yells at the Spearow. Definitely the beginning of something great.
    I was surprised when Ho-oH flew by cuz it wasn't native to Kanto. I recently found out that it was designed already by the time this episode aired however which is cool. :3

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    I re-watched this recently and I wondered, do you think the anime would be better if the dex had kept up all its snarkiness? Like Dizzi from the original and early Beyblade or something. I mean it was quite a fun character but after a while insulting ash might be too cruel a running joke
    I would say probably not. I tend to find gags funnier when they only happen once or a few times. Plus I don't think one gag would be enough to "make the anime better".

U.S. State Face-Off | Main Series Game Face-Off | Pokemon Anime Face-Off | Beverage Face-Off
    Looking for tallyists and co-owners for some of my face-offs. PM if you're interested

Quote Originally Posted by Aduro View Post
    I think maybe, in moderation, it would be better. If it was done too much, then the dex wouldn't be a very enjoyable part of the anime. I think the instance in this episode was alright enough, because it was pretty brief.

Good 1st episode of the show. I loved how Ash overslept and Pikachu being Ash's last resort as a starter was hilarious. Pikachu was such a brat though.

Quote Originally Posted by JudySpell View Post
    Pikachu was such a brat though.
    Yea there were even times when I really disliked how he acted toward Ash here, although I found his design much more appalling. I prefer the current slim Pikachu over the fatter design used here. ^^;

I really liked the design of Pikachu here. I have nothing against the newer look, but I think that Pikachu looks much cuter when it's chubby

I also don't like the way it acted toward Ash here, though. I thought that it was completely unnecessary, especially since Ash did absolutely nothing wrong to Pikachu.
    Last edited by Bananarama; 11th February 2016 at 3:21 AM. Reason: Typo :o

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    I really liked the design of Pikachu here. I have nothing against the newer look, but I think that Pikachu looks mucher cuter when it's chubby
    I might've thought he looked cute if he had acted cutely at least, but just seeing him be defiant and obstinate with Ash didn't exactly help in my opinion hee hee. I'm probably just nitpicking tho. ^^;

Quote Originally Posted by Flo View Post
    I really liked the design of Pikachu here. I have nothing against the newer look, but I think that Pikachu looks much cuter when it's chubby

I also don't like the way it acted toward Ash here, though. I thought that it was completely unnecessary, especially since Ash did absolutely nothing wrong to Pikachu.
    Yeah, even Pikachu was a bit of a nuisance here, refusing to get into its Poké Ball, electrocuting Ash and laughing at Ash's failures. Or I'll consider the possibility that he just started as a Trainer and didn't have much experience.

Banner created by me

Good 1st episode of the show. I loved how Ash overslept and Pikachu being Ash's last resort as a starter was hilarious. Pikachu was such a brat though.
    He was a brat because no other trainer had picked him as a Starter. Clearly he had trust issues and behavioral issues due to that.

Quote Originally Posted by Gillachu View Post
    He was a brat because no other trainer had picked him as a Starter. Clearly he had trust issues and behavioral issues due to that.
    That's prolly it and Oak did show reluctance in letting Ash get Pikachu hee hee. And tho this is a minor thing, I liked how Pikachu's Poke ball had a lightning bolt symbol on it here. :3

Probably the very best episode like no other ever was! It had everything- loads of funny moments in it, especially In Ash's conversations with Gary and Professor Oak. And the emotional moments are great too, such as Ashs speech to the Spearow and when Pikachu licks Ashs cheek at the end. Overall, a fantastic start to the show!
    Last edited by Irri; 22nd February 2016 at 5:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irri View Post
    And the emotional moments are great too, such as Ashs speech to the Spearow and when Pikachu licks Ashs cheek at the end.
    I really liked the moment where Ash made that speech to the Spearow before Pikachu beat them all. It shows how determined Ash was to becoming a Pokemon master, as well as how he wanted to prove himself to Pikachu.

On the day of the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, I just now realized that James was voiced by the same guy who voiced Tracy earlier in the series. Wow Smh.

Quote Originally Posted by G4Pokefan View Post
    On the day of the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, I just now realized that James was voiced by the same guy who voiced Tracy earlier in the series. Wow Smh.
    It was only for like 10 episodes though, then his Va got switched.

Okay, I'm still on vacation and the Pokemon anniversary really pulled me back to Pokemon, replaying the games and such. I decided to re-watch the anime from the beginning and boy did I miss the opining theme, really nostalgic, from what I remember Pokemon songs were really good. I really like the original series and I expect to enjoy it again this time around on Netflix.

As for the episode it self... right off the bat Bruno tosses a green pokeball that dose not exist in the games, it looks pretty cool. Although that sending Onix to deal with Gengar is a bit dubious.

I wonder how that Dodrio got on the roof, still don't buy the fact that it can fly (or use steel wing).

I can really relate to Ash in this episode, always had a bad time waking up as a kid and teen, always late. Also really liked Gary, he was stuck up and not annoying, don't know how they pulled it off. Pallet Town really feels small in this episode, everyone appearing for when Oak gives away the Pokemon is sweet. Though the missing Charmander and Bulbasaur is sad, they should have showed off who got them, still have hope that one day the anime decides to have a plot. Pikachu's reason for being a jerk was also wasted potential. And boy did I miss Misty, although she was fun in HGSS it was a little short, Gamefreak really needs to develop gym leaders like they did in those games.

Really liked the dub here. Highlights include Ash's mum, the Pokedex and Misty's bike. The episode is pretty good, introduces the world accurately and really nails the feel for the rest of the anime with it's awkward campyness and lighthearted adventure aspect, but it dose get intense seeing Pikachu's limp body and Ash putting himself in danger for his Pokemon, also the bike. Ho Oh dose have an incredible cameo at the end. So an overall decent episode 8/10 on Pokemon standards.

Also do not let Oak make puns please.
    Last edited by 5221A; 29th February 2016 at 7:01 AM.

It was only for like 10 episodes though, then his Va got switched.
    yeah i know that. Thats why i said he was voiced "earlier" in the series

Quote Originally Posted by G4Pokefan View Post
    On a similar note, I only just realised a few weeks ago that the guy who used to voice Brock was also Seto Kaiba in Yu-Gi-Oh!

Back then I didn't watch anime nor did I care about voice actors, but as I do both now I find that really interesting. If I'd have noticed that back then I would have found it really cool.

~*Friendship isn't about whom you have known the longest... it's about who came, and never left your side*~

My Anime List - updated every now and then

Drop me a message if you wanna talk. I reply most of the time.

My favorite scene was when Ash threw the Pokeball at Pikachu and how he kept throwing it back. The Spearow chase was good too.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415 LastLast