Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon! I Choose You (001)

Quote Originally Posted by Cybercubed
    Well obviously. It's the same voice actor, but they've all changed their voices throughout the course of the show to make it seem like they aged.
    Yeah, only the opposite seems to have happened in Ash's case. Veronica Taylor started out with a very deep voice, probably an attempt to emulate Rika Matsumoto more directly, and it gradually got higher as the first season progressed.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Well, I've started my annual run-through of Pokemon episodes, so I'll catch up on the episodes that I haven't reviewed.

It's so weird when I watch this episode. The animation from the oldest days is so awful, and the bad puns are running amok as well, but this episode is still touching and very funny in its own way. The part when Ash faces off against the spearows, even at his own peril, is definitely a memorable scene. The part with him carrying Pikachu off at the end is also touching.

It's odd that this is one of the only two regular episodes without Team Rocket (the other being the season eight clip show). At least they came around in the next episode to liven things up.
    My Shinies: NEW!! 4/13
    Currently hunting/MM'ing:

Ahh... The episode that started it all.

I heard somewhere that they didn't intend Ho-oh to be Ho-oh. Someone said that they were supposed to draw Moltres (because of the Moltres flame during the league) but the animator for that scene forgot what it looked like or something. But that's just what I heard somewhere. It might not be true.

I liked the begining, when they had that scene from the game then it grew and became a real battle. That was SO cool.

God gave us memory so that we might have roses in December -- JM Barrie

myspace | livejournal

PokeTrainer7783 Guest

Ahh yes the episode that started it all. OMG it's been soooooooooo very long since I've watched it. I should go back and watch it again though cause it's nice to go back and watch some of the old ones. I still think the Misty slapping Ash thing should've not been cut. But that's 4kids for ya!

Ah, this episode brings back memories when the storyline wasn't repetive and they're wasn't any bad animation team. This episode makes me miss the original artwork, the original artwork was much better than the art that Pocket Monsters Advance Generation had. It was hilarious when Satoshi was late and went to the lab with PJ's and when kasumi slapped Satoshi. The part where Satoshi was defending Pikachu from the Spearow really showed how much Satoshi cares about Pokemon.

I give it 10/10 since it was the episode that started it all and it was nicely balanced.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

botomon Guest

Why did Ho-oh appear in the first episode? Is it foreshadowing the Gold and Silver games? The 100 new pokemon?? Every time I see that scene I get so confused on why they showed Ho-oh??

Quote Originally Posted by botomon
    Why did Ho-oh appear in the first episode? Is it foreshadowing the Gold and Silver games? The 100 new pokemon?? Every time I see that scene I get so confused on why they showed Ho-oh??
    Maybe because they wanted to add mystery to the first episode of Pokemon? >_>

They just wanted to add a mystery to the first episode, and it seemed they didn't give a name OR a number to Ho-oh yet, not to mention, it didn't have a proper design for it.

So the main reason why they put Ho-oh in the first episode was to point out the mystery of the world of Pokemon.
    Last edited by Satoshi; 5th October 2005 at 12:06 AM.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    Anime Blog [x] Art [0] Bishoujou [0] BMGf [x] LiveJournal [x] Eggbear! [x] Credit [n/a]
    .UVERworld。

Lime dragonalk7 Guest

Thank you writers for giving ash pikachu and not charmander. It was a great episode I always wondered what the pokemon was that was flying in the air at the end of the show. Strange for some reason I always thought that flying bird was fearow but it took me a couple of seasons for me realise that was ho-oh.

PokeTrainer7783 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lime dragonalk7
    Thank you writers for giving ash pikachu and not charmander. It was a great episode I always wondered what the pokemon was that was flying in the air at the end of the show. Strange for some reason I always thought that flying bird was fearow but it took me a couple of seasons for me realise that was ho-oh.
    Pikachu is if not more of the star of the show then Ash. and also like the mascot for Pokemon. So Ash had to get Pikachu. I have forgotten a few episodes in Pokemon but the first episode is one I will always remember by heart. Feels like I've just seen this episode. I can't believe how long ago it's been since I've gotten into Pokemon. But this was my start into anime. So yes this episode definitely get's a 10/10 from me. I saw this episode when it first aired on American soil.
    Last edited by PokeTrainer7783; 14th November 2005 at 5:53 AM.

#1 Gyrados fan Guest

Hey the rainbow bird pokemon Ash sees in the sky after Pikachu zaps all tyhe sparrows was Ho-Oh
    This means Ho-Oh was the first Johto Pokemon in the series and this was the first episode to be show a Johto pokemon.

Also Gary's starter Pokemon was really Squirtle, but he wouldn't tell Ash.
    In the Epsiode the Ties that Bind, when Ash and Gary are battling in the Johto League Silver Conference, Gary brings out his Blastoise, thus revealing that he started with Squirtle all along (his Blastoise is the very same squirtle he began with).

Quote Originally Posted by #1 Gyrados fan
    Hey the rainbow bird pokemon Ash sees in the sky after Pikachu zaps all tyhe sparrows was Ho-Oh
    This means Ho-Oh was the first Johto Pokemon in the series and this was the first episode to be show a Johto pokemon.

Also Gary's starter Pokemon was really Squirtle, but he wouldn't tell Ash.
    In the Epsiode the Ties that Bind, when Ash and Gary are battling in the Johto League Silver Conference, Gary brings out his Blastoise, thus revealing that he started with Squirtle all along (his Blastoise is the very same squirtle he began with).
    I love how you say this stuff as if we didn't already know it.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

PokeTrainer7783 Guest

I think Ash's voice sounds better now then it did then.

The best part is the begining, Gengar vs. Nidorino, just like the original game. I still can't understand how does Ho-Oh appeared without Gold & Silver Versions existed.

you know the 1st series is my fav....but i hate the 1st episode.i loved it when i 1st saw it but now when i compare it to other episodes........and i think that pikachu trusts him to soon.its like one minute he soesnt like him the next he does.it seems to spur of the moment to be real.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Apocalypse
    you know the 1st series is my fav....but i hate the 1st episode.i loved it when i 1st saw it but now when i compare it to other episodes........and i think that pikachu trusts him to soon.its like one minute he soesnt like him the next he does.it seems to spur of the moment to be real.
    Actually, Pikachu did trust him at the right moment and time. Why shouldn't he trust him after Ash risked his life to save him from 100 + Spearows in a thunderstorm?
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

i loved that episode i thorght it was cool that ash tryed to save his pikachu.

Name: Drainer
    Adopt one yourself! @Pokémon Orphanage

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Mewtwo
    The best part is the begining, Gengar vs. Nidorino, just like the original game. I still can't understand how does Ho-Oh appeared without Gold & Silver Versions existed.
    Thats the arrgument for the ALL POKEMON HAVE BEEN DESIGNED, THERE SCREWING US OVER people

I cant find my tapes(two copies) but I remember, till love it, better than the rest
    Electric Type Fan.

Quote Originally Posted by PokeTrainer7783
    I think Ash's voice sounds better now then it did then.
    I'd say the opposite. At least sounded like a boy in the beginning.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

I love this episode i even own it!! Although i own most episodes ^_^; The voices are so funny to hear how much they have changed and it is so hilarious, when they dubbed it they put so much effort to get it right too. I remember getting all the sound wavs off the internet many years ago of the typical lines from the first few episodes :P To think its been nearly 10 years O_O...
    Friend code: 2148 9029 9595

i think he sounds like a girl in the early ones...

Wolf,aka Mew Guest

I love the first epsidode!and the ones following.When Ash just met pikchu,and when the Sparrows cme and ash tried to put himself in front of pikchu to protect him.Misty and Brock stll rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mini Apocalypse
    i think he sounds like a girl in the early ones...
    What are you talking about? He sounded way more like a boy in the early Kanto dub episode (esspecially in the first episode) than the late Hoenn dub episodes. If someone can post voice clips, I can prove it.
    Tales of REDPLICAAAAAA!
    .UVERworld。

nah i think he sounds like a girl in the early ones. his voice it higher pitched(yes i no he was younger) but i just think it was maybe to high pitched for a boy

James voice was deeper dont you think? Sounded more creepy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingRuby
    I still remeber that part when Ash met Pikachu...

"Hi, Pika-AUUUUUGGGHHHHH!!!!!"
    yeah i still laugh my brians out when i remember that one!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast