Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

This episode was boring.......just people yelling at each other, Team rocket, and some pokemon captures. 5/10

This episode was kind of funny. Ash not knowning that a bird eats worms. Plus misty being afraid of bugs.

Bugs bug me was the funny part

Caterpie and Pikachu talking was so cute!

It was nice to see Ash catch Pidgeotto, but it was shown as weak, being defeated easily by Pikachu (which makes sense, Pikachu has a type advantage) and Team Rocket (but it might've been tired from battling Pikachu). And Pidgeotto was seen to be an omnivore, trying to eat Caterpie. When I saw that for the first time, I was shocked. I'm not a vegetarian, but eating Pokemon was just going too far from me! However, I love this episode, 10/10!

Misty was really mean to Caterpie. She loves her Water types, so she should understand the love from a Trainer for his Pokemon, even if it is a Bug type!

The way Caterpie evolved was cool. No glowing light, but using String Shot to create a cocoon/Metapod around itself. Just like Metapod evolving into Butterfree: the Metapod/cocoon broke and Butterfree popped out of it, instead of Metapod just changing into Butterfree with white light.

ya your right it is pretty cool how it evolved
    I love video games !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Enjoyed this episode.

Ash's first capture, and first evolution.

Caterpie and Pidgeotto are added to Ash's team. Kind of wish they added a scene with Caterpie and Pidgeotto interacting after being caught.

I love how it felt like the scene with Caterpie and Pikachu talking was going on forever. No idea what they said but seemed obvious Caterpie wanted to fly and become Butterfree.

Love the way Caterpie evolved.

It was a funny, somewhat emotional, and action pack episode.
    3DS Friend Code: 3153-4608-8374
    Friend Safari: Steel(Ferroseed, Forretress, and Bronzong)

I actually think Ash comes of as more of a jerk than Misty in this episode. And Caterpie isn't really as cute as it's creepy in this episode.

Misty: I do not like bugs because I have a phobia.

Caterpie: *humps her leg*

Ash: Y u no like my bug. Everyone else does, follow peer pressure.*Tries to force her to*

Caterpie: *sneaks into Misty's sleeping bag like a creepy stalker*

Misty: Agh!

Ash: Y u hurting its feelings by having a completely logical freakout.

Heck, even the slap was well-deserved, considering Ash sent a pokemon to fight it's natural predator, essentially setting it up as dinner.

Ash handwaving her bicycle- something rather expensive for a preteen(not to mention it's price in the games, holy heck) off certainly didn't help him come off as a nice guy.
    Last edited by RWB; 9th April 2012 at 9:17 PM.
    Help spread the Dragonbuster Love!
    Hail to Saint Georgia!

"You be friends with that creepy bug & I'LL be friends with pikachu" LOL.

As soon as Caterpie evolved and Ash was happily greeting Metapod, and Misty said "I guess he really does like Pokemon. I've never met anyone like him" was adorable ♥

It was actually earlier in the episode, when he gave the sludge-blinded Pikachu to Misty to protect while he battled Team Rocket. I mean he trusted her to protect Pikachu, with no question or hesitation, after only knowing her for two days. ♥

(And darned if I don't think it was a direct contribution to Misty's softening toward him.)
    Last edited by Blessed; 9th April 2012 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angel~ View Post
    "You be friends with that creepy bug & I'LL be friends with pikachu" LOL.

As soon as Caterpie evolved and Ash was happily greeting Metapod, and Misty said "I guess he really does like Pokemon. I've never met anyone like him" was adorable ♥

It was actually earlier in the episode, when he gave the sludge-blinded Pikachu to Misty to protect while he battled Team Rocket. I mean he trusted her to protect Pikachu, with no question or hesitation, after only knowing her for two days. ♥

(And darned if I don't think it was a direct contribution to Misty's softening toward him.)
    True, it's a nice episode to back up PokeShipping! Also, you are totally right about that bike in your other post in this thread, I already thought so about the bike 10 years ago.

LOL at that String Shot. I wish it was that powerful in the games. Caterpie evolving was cool.

Ash finally gets his brain together and tries to ditch Misty, but fails. Caterpie was annoying, but Metapod was pretty cool. Still, this episode was boring.

Definitely a momentous episode. I was amused by the plot of this episode and the achievement of capturing two Pokémons in one episode makes this episode the more special.

So Ash catches his first pokemon. Too bad he doesn't get to keep either of them.

One of the only episodes of Kanto that I didn't like all that much. It seemed to drag on forever. The fight wasn't all that amusing. I probably would have felt better about this episode if Ash got to keep at least one of the pokemon he captured here. I don't care which. Getting rid of both left a bad taste in my mouth. I understand Pidgeot was released to make room for Snorlax, but it really seems like Butterfree was released for the hell of it. :|

Re-watching this episode, I realized that it's little more than Ash and Misty arguing in a forest, with Ash making funny faces so the whole thing comes off as comical instead of annoying. Still, it's one of my favorite episodes; there are two good battles; and those faces really are funny.
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

This was boring. Definitely an overrated episode. Just Misty and Ash arguing in a forest. The good parts of this episode were Ash's two captures and one evolution, but those are pointless now considering both pokemon were released. 2/10

I don't know if it was every explained why Misty doesn't like Bug Pokemon. I've always wondered, she's my favorite character, but I most likely forgot why. Well, the episode was good. I love when Ash told Caterpie to use Counter.

Ash: Caterpie, Counter!

Caterpie: *Strikes a pose*

Team Rocket was awesome in here as well. This is when they were a problem. I also think this is the episode where I really started liking Pokemon. After Koffing used Sludge and blinded Pikachu, I was suddenly hooked on it. Weird? I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    Team Rocket was awesome in here as well. This is when they were a problem. I also think this is the episode where I really started liking Pokemon. After Koffing used Sludge and blinded Pikachu, I was suddenly hooked on it. Weird? I know.
    This is also when the series had me hooked

Unlike the above posters, this was actually when I first saw pokemon and hated it. Later on I started to like pokemon and this episode.
    e

While still a memorable episode, I didn't remember much of this until I watched it for the first in a long time last night. The only reason I probably still remember it is because of Caterpie, but I do like the episode. The iconic method of the Pokémon series is shown here with Pokémon being captured, and the battles with the newly-captured Pokémon, no matter how brief. Ash, being a beginning trainer, doesn't have his type match-ups down here, which is fine, trainers have to grow and learn. After nearly losing Caterpie to Pidgeotto, Misty had every right to be mad at him for being careless (I heard the sound-effect of a slap, so I figured 4KIDS cut something out in this episode), though because she's one to care for Pokémon, it was to be expected. I guess she was supposed to be the mentor to Ash before Brock came around, but she's a harsh teacher xD.

Caterpie is very adorable, he is the perfect addition to Ash's team at this point. It's possible it's also a bit of a metaphor for Ash's own growth throughout the series, though Caterpie grows pretty quickly, so maybe it's more towards the metamorphosis symbolism than anything. Or I'm just looking into it too hard. Either way, he and Ash become close very fast, yet Caterpie's more attracted to Misty for some apparent reason. It was never explained why he came to like her as fast as he did, but it was for some good laughs of her freaking out. For someone who would slap Ash at the drop of a hat for being reckless, to watch her drop her hot-tempered personality for a more "girly" side is a nice balance to her character. Also makes way for a running gag, which is always a plus. In the meantime, Caterpie's evolution is probably the most realistic evolution is in the series, in my opinion. (It's also reminiscent of the Mothra larava enveloping itself in a cocoon, but eh, it probably was.) It was just amazing to watch Caterpie spray silk up into the air and let it fall on it.

Pikachu really only does one big thing in this episode, and that is paralyzing Pidgeotto for Ash. (Speaking of the bird, when he slapped the PokéBall away, that made me snicker. Even as a wild Pokémon, he had a personality of sorts.) Sure, Pikachu interacts with Caterpie, but that scene was really odd. The body language was repetitive, and it wasn't easily made clear what they were talking about until Caterpie's close up of his eye and the Butterfree flying against the moon. So whatever they were talking about we had to use our imaginations when they could've easily used subtitles like in "Island of the Giant Pokémon", but it might not've crossed their minds. Unless the scene was shorter in the original Japanese, I don't know. Still, that's all Pikachu does until he gets put out of commission by a Sludge attack to the eyes (which is another good example of how Pokémon battles are rather logical in the anime, at least at first).

Team Rocket are the same as they were in the previous episode, except now they really want Pikachu, and are willing to go to any measures to do it. (They're also bad at keeping secrets and beating each other up for it.) For now, we got a "double battle" that was "unheard of" at the time, and Pidgeotto is slaughtered by Koffing and Ekans. The battle was cool to begin with, and then he gets ganged up on. Then Ash runs to Team Rocket head-on to try and beat them up (and this was before he ran to punch Mewtwo). After reluctantly sending out Caterpie, the way String Shot is used is great, even if it ended up with silly moments. Too bad we can't get that creative with String Shot in the actual games, but in the anime anything goes. It's a type of strategy that shows off a bit of Ash's occasional cleverness with battles. Even Misty herself is impressed by it, which is when she starts to warm up to him. Not by much, but it's something.

So Team Rocket flee, Misty can't bring herself to become friends with Caterpie as soon as it evolves, and cue foreshadowing with a Beedrill flying across the screen and Ash running after it.

Better than last episode for sure, if only because we're back into the journey, and we do see Ash doing things that Pokémon trainers do. Ash hasn't exactly grown as a character in this episode, but he's very slowly learning, and that's rather realistic in my opinion. I really do love it when shows take their time with pacing and characters, and since Ash is likeable in these episodes, when he does something right, it feels really good.

The journey continues.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 20th October 2013 at 7:54 PM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Last Chance - 11/3/11 - Chapter 20 progress: 75%
    I survived Pupa.

I had a pokemon vhs on the first 3 episodes and i loved this episode alot ;D
    OMFG A SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Caterpie's evolution is probably the most realistic evolution is in the series, in my opinion.

we got a "double battle" that was "unheard of" at the time
    Now that it's mentioned, I agree that Caterpie's evolution in to Metapod in this episode was the most realistic evolution the show has ever shown (unless I am forgetting/missing a couple other instances this happened). It kind of makes me wish other evolution could look like this in the show.

Maybe this "double battle" we saw in the episode could count as foreshadowing now that we know it becomes a real type of battle in a future generation?

- I always think Ash catches a Pidgey first and then it evolves later into a Pidgeotto later.
    - I ad no idea what Caterpie and Pikachu were talking about until it showed the Butterfree. Then it all made a lot more sense.
    - I felt this was the first episode to, in a major way, show Team Rockets goofy side along with there villainous side.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team (so far)

Claimed by me!

Mega Wishlist:

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456