Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Default Ash Catches a Pokémon! (003)

Ash Catches a Pokémon!

After catching a Caterpie with Misty in tow, Ash decides to catch another Pokémon but Team Rocket show up showing their intentions to get Ash's Pikachu. Can Ash & Misty Defend Pikachu and get the next Pokémon?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Ahh, episode 3, Ash catches a Pokémon. My very favourite episode of the entire series and still going strong. Quite underrated IMO.
    Why so great you ask? Well....
    • Ash catches his very first pokémon in this episode, as well as having it evolve at the end and capturing Pidgeotto. Something a lot of you would give anything to see nowadays. By no means a filler, ne?
    • Caterpie = One of Ash's best pokémon. Seriously, Caterpie had just as much personallity as most of Ash's current line-up. It had a dream of evolving, which would not only make it stronger, but would help capture th affections of one Misty. Lots of motivation there I'd say. Also, its voice was awesome.
    • Many of the scenes in this episode were pretty amusing, most of all parts that involved Misty shaking at the sight of Caterpie as Ash tried to defend the poor bug ^.^
    • There were some pretty awesome battles in this episode. Even Caterpie vs. Pidgeotto was great, if only for the pure comic relief. Pidgeotto vs. Team Rocket was also awesome, and demonstrated how tough Pidgeotto really was, even after being hit by a thundershock beforehand.
    • Caterpie defeating Team Rocket. Against all odds it STILL managed to defeat both Ekans and Koffing and sent them flying, as well as pretty much mummifying Meowth. Gotta love that little bug's inspirational determination ^.^

And well...thats why I liked this episode. Too bad Caterpie evolved so soon though, I'd have liked to have seen it for at least one episode more ^^; Couldn't just let this sit right at the bottom of the page y'know

Factory Head Noland Guest

It was an okay episode, I don't really like the early episodes that much, they are too retro for my liking. I prefer Orange Islands onwards.

Misty's reaction to Caterpie was a lot like Usagi's reaction to a fuzzy Caterpillar in the first Sailor Moon movie. (Maybe that's where they got it. XD)

I still don't get why Misty decided to follow Ash. The bike isn't that much of loss to shadow Ash. Ash blew the Pokemon center sky high, you don't see Nurse Joy trailing him.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Magi of all Guest

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    Misty's reaction to Caterpie was a lot like Usagi's reaction to a fuzzy Caterpillar in the first Sailor Moon movie. (Maybe that's where they got it. XD)

I still don't get why Misty decided to follow Ash. The bike isn't that much of loss to shadow Ash. Ash blew the Pokemon center sky high, you don't see Nurse Joy trailing him.
    Nurse Joy has stuff to do. Great episode, not filler at all. Season one was the best in my opnion, after thatmost of the episodes became repitative and dumb.

Mistystar89 Guest

^This episode was funny with Misty, Ash, Caterpie. Ash decides to use Caterpie VS Pigeotto XD A bird VS. a bug.

"Birds eat bugs Mr. Pokemon Mater!"

Question

Am I the only one who realized that Ash actually commanded Caterpie to use Counter? And it actually tried!

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Quote Originally Posted by Missingno. Master
    Am I the only one who realized that Ash actually commanded Caterpie to use Counter? And it actually tried!
    Nah, I don't believe he meant 'counter' as in the actual attack 'Counter', as used by the likes of Wobbuffet.
    He just told it to counter Pidgeotto's attack by meeting it head on and enduring it enough to strike back afterwards....which, kinda failed and knocked him back into a tree, but still ^^;

Factory Head Noland Guest

Ash told May in "A Ruin With A View!" that you have to battle with a Pokemon before you can capture it but in this ep Ash just threw a Pokeball at Caterpie and caught it, no battling at all.

He might have said "Counter it".

Well, I don't know, butg if I remember correctly, he said "Caterpie, Counter Attack Now!" I haven't seen the episode in a while *years*, so I don't remember too well...

I HAVE CLAIMED WEEZING. YOU ARE NOT WORTHY.
    The Hoenn of Hoenness- Chapter 5 up now!
    404 Error 2: File Not Found- Chapter 12 up now!
    Author profile

Banner done by me. I do not do requests. The Shinies are not up for trade.

Fizzy Bubbles info

Caterpie is so Kawaii!!!!!! Voice, figure, everything!!! It's a shame Misty hated the little guy so much. I too wish Ash had kept Caterpie for a few more episodes, becaause it could've had some character development. It was brave, too, taking on two Poison Pokémon like that. And when it ran at them, it was just too cute!!

Overall rating:
    9.3 out of 10!!!
    Another rare example of a quality Kanto episode.

SC~ out
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Counter's use was meant as in to counter Pidgeotto's attack. To strike back. You guys can't take the words everyone says too literally. o_o

Ash told May in "A Ruin With A View!" that you have to battle with a Pokemon before you can capture it but in this ep Ash just threw a Pokeball at Caterpie and caught it, no battling at all.
    And he later got lectured by Kasumi about Caterpie being weak since he tried the same method on Pidgeotto and failed. >_>

Suprised no one was weirded out by the Japanese gag with the whole cow suit.

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

gotta love an old school episode when all the characters pronounce Pokemon "Poke-a-mon" instead of the correct way "Poke-eh-mon"

sure, that sort of thing would be annoying to some people who don't like dubs, but it's nostalgic to me
    Part-time Fanfic writer, Full-time crank.

what was the japanese verison of that gag anyway?

Kasumi: Mushi!
    Satoshi: Ushi?

It's basically the same kinda gag we heard with Haruka later on when it comes down to a play on Japanese words. Mushi means bug, while Ushi means cow. Similar to Haruka's "Achamo, Kinoko!" when she meant to say "Hinoko." She said "mushroom" instead of Ember (which has a different meaning in Japan).

Yeah, and I was really surprised (and confused) that they kept the mushroom in the dub. More proof that the people at 4Kids are either confused or insane.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    Kasumi: Mushi!
    Satoshi: Ushi?
    Wasn't that gag in "Challenge of the Samurai", not this episode? I'm pretty sure Kasumi said "Mushi!" in response to the Biidol at the beginning of that one.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Yeah. After my post, I realized it took place in the NEXT episode. >_>; Close enough though. XD;

More Kanto gold.

It was funny when Ash was sleeping next to the stump, then Misty's all of a sudden on the other side.

I admire Caterpie. I liked his conversation with Pikachu.

I liked how Team Rocket had the advantage, and were bossing Ash around.

All's fair in love, war, and Pokemon.

Almost forgot Pidgeotto. He's awesome as well.

9/10
    Yeah!

Remember when Pikachu & Caterpie were talking after Ash & Misty went to sleep?
    Is it just me, or did Caterpie explain that it had a train set in its pokeball?

Trendy_boy87 Guest

wat the hell no it was just talking most lily about evolving as it was watching a butterfree fly across the moon and its eyes lit up when it saw it

but it was running in circles and making zooming sounds

A nice episode to set Ash on his journey. Yay!
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

This was the first pokemon episode I ever saw. It was when I were younger and didn't know much about pokemon.

SecretMew is offline I am Currently Awaiting Email Confirmation

This is my first episode I recorded on VHS, I have seen this about over 10 times, It was very good indeed.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast