Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Results 101 to 118 of 118

Thread: Challenge of the Samurai (004)

  1. #101
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    I'm starting to think that every Bug Pokemon likes Misty. xD It was a good episode, but I really didn't like that Samurai kid. Glad he wasn't a ninja. (>.>) He's the one that made Metapod get captured, just like Ash said, if he never had stopped Ash from catching Weedle, none of that would have happened. And challenging Trainers from Pallet Town, just because you lost three times in a row doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

  2. #102
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    The Sanctuary
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    First time we see Gary's Squirtle!

  3. #103
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    242

    Default

    Good episode, but I did NOT like Samurai, he should have just left Ash alone.
    Ghirajinxaphobia (or Ghirajinxphobia) - Fear of Ghirahim being cosplayed by a Jynx

  4. #104
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    I'm starting to think that every Bug Pokemon likes Misty. xD It was a good episode, but I really didn't like that Samurai kid. Glad he wasn't a ninja. (>.>) He's the one that made Metapod get captured, just like Ash said, if he never had stopped Ash from catching Weedle, none of that would have happened. And challenging Trainers from Pallet Town, just because you lost three times in a row doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.
    You can't blame that Samurai for what Ash did there. He never meant to leave Metapod and tried to take it back from that Bedrill but it was Ash fault he never took it back in time.

    I really liked when Metapod evoled into Butterfree though it was a great moment for me at least =)

  5. #105
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaUGS View Post
    You can't blame that Samurai for what Ash did there. He never meant to leave Metapod and tried to take it back from that Bedrill but it was Ash fault he never took it back in time.
    It is the Samurai's fault. He challenged Ash for a stupid reason, thus making them battle. It is true that Ash should have recalled Metapod sooner, but the Samurai is still to blame.

  6. #106
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    How is it the Samurais fault?
    You are responsible for your own actions. Ash actions was that he left Metapod in such a bad position (Samurai did get his one back in time but Ash wasn't).

    I do not think the reasons he wanted to challange Ash was stupid (he wanted to test his skill against all trainers from Pallet since he already faced the 3 first) but even if it was he can't be responsible for everything that happens after he wanted to challange Ash.

    Imagine you are doing a dinner. I ask you if you wanna go with me to a friends place 10min walking from there and you agree to go with me. You forget to turn the stove off because you are excited to see this friend am I responsible that the house burned up?

    The scenario is maybe a bit extremt but still. Just because the Samurai wanna challange him he can't be responsible for what the bedrill does or the fact Ash never returned it in the ball.

  7. #107
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Cerulean City
    Posts
    7,607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaUGS View Post
    How is it the Samurais fault?
    You are responsible for your own actions. Ash actions was that he left Metapod in such a bad position (Samurai did get his one back in time but Ash wasn't).
    They ran from the Beedrill and Ash didn't want to run from them, Misty pulled him away. Adding to that, the reason why the Samurai got his Metapod in its Poke Ball before Ash, was because Ash took out his Pokedex.
    I do not think the reasons he wanted to challange Ash was stupid (he wanted to test his skill against all trainers from Pallet since he already faced the 3 first) but even if it was he can't be responsible for everything that happens after he wanted to challange Ash.
    Challenging every person from Pallet Town to test out your strength, yet you lose three times already?

    Imagine you are doing a dinner. I ask you if you wanna go with me to a friends place 10min walking from there and you agree to go with me. You forget to turn the stove off because you are excited to see this friend am I responsible that the house burned up?
    The scenario is maybe a bit extremt but still. Just because the Samurai wanna challange him he can't be responsible for what the bedrill does or the fact Ash never returned it in the ball.
    It is similar, but his intentions were not to leave Metapod nor were to run away.

  8. #108
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Even if Ash took out the Pokedex Samurai can't be blamed for it.
    Yeah he did lose 3 times but if you have a goal why give up? Maybe he wanted to see if the last person was really good too.

    I know Ash never ever had the intition of leaving Metapod there. Ash already proves in the first episode that he LOVES pokemon. He is the kind of person that would rather be dead then to see a pokemon be dead. I love the fact that Ash is this way and prove it is something more then just winning/fame/money etc.

    That still dosen't explain why it is the Samurais fault even if the reason he wanted to challange Ash was stupid or not. You are still responsible for your actions. It was much unluck but what happend did happend but I don't think blaiming Samurai is the right thing to do (not even Ash agree)

  9. #109
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Yveltal96
    Posts
    553

    Default

    @DKYK- I don't see what's so bad about challenging Ash even after losing three times...

  10. #110
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    504

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ArmadaUGS View Post
    You are still responsible for your actions. It was much unluck but what happend did happend but I don't think blaiming Samurai is the right thing to do (not even Ash agree)
    Samurai prevent him from catching the Weedle, and it was said Weedle who alerted the Beedrills. Why couldn't he just let Ash catch it and then make the challenge?

  11. #111
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Of course he could have waited. That part was him showing bad respect towards Ash as a trainer. What Weedle decides to do afterwards is not something you can blame the Samurai for. That is only trying to get someone else responsible. The Samurai was responsible for Ash not catching Weedle and that's it. Even if Weedle was the one alerted the Beedrills it is kinda sick to still see it as Samurais fault. Cause if he is, is he responsible for every action Weedle takes from that point?

    Ash had enough time to return Metapod to the Pokeball but he messed up. That doesn't make him to a worse person, but gave him a learning experience.

  12. #112
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    6,590

    Default

    The first season sure was full of memorable episodes. While I didn't remember a whole lot of the dialogue (I have no idea how the PokéDex' puns flew over my head as a kid, same with the “Cowterpie” joke), I could remember important scenes, such as the Weedle battle, the battle between Samurai, the Beedrill swarm, and Metapod's evolution. They were just as I remembered it, and yet it meant a bit more than I thought.

    For an anime that's made with children in mind, one can forget that Pokémon can get brutal at times. I remember getting freaked out over Pinsir as a child because of the imagine spot of Metapod breaking in two. Not to mention that the Beedrill swarm can get rather nightmarish, as the chases are something that do happen in real-life bee swarms—at least here in America, the Africanized bees do this (though it's thankfully mellowed out a bit over the years). The chase sequences were the biggest action scenes in the episode, but also the most adrenaline-rushed. Ash nearly getting stung himself would probably be the second-most.

    There's a brief moment where Pikachu takes a nap instead of fighting a Weedle. Is it possible that he is high-leveled at this point? If I remember correctly, this wouldn't be the last time he did such a thing, even though he's no Charizard (though at least with Charizard, he had his reasonings).

    “Ye shrieking maiden.” Well, Samurai sure dropped that kind of talk about halfway xD. I have completely forgotten just how nasally/lispy Samurai was. Thus far the voices have been fine (even Team Rocket's voices), but Samurai's is rather jarring in comparison. He may be character-of-the-day, and one who's a bit bland compared to others, but that doesn't mean he should've gotten a bad voice direction.

    Of course, the scene everyone remembers is the Metapod vs. Metapod. You would think Ash's would know Tackle, or at least String Shot, but it made for some really... odd innuendos and wise-cracks from Misty.

    Team Rocket got a little silly in this episode, but we got to see them interact with each other, and that's always a plus. James' whining coupled with Jessie's own snappy demeanor makes for great chemistry, and Meowth is the cherry on top with his arrogant behavior. He still has his “I'm top cat” behavior that he will lose in future episodes when his pride breaks, but we'll come to that when we do. For now, the little moments we had with the trio weren't exactly slapstick, yet they garnered the most laughs (if Metapod vs. Metapod didn't).

    Evolutions I swear was handled with more logic or more care in these early episodes than they have become in later ones. The Kakuna and Metapod evolutions are amongst some of the best on this show, at least thus far—which doesn't make sense for me to say as they're the only ones we've seen right now. And yet they're spectacular to look at. Metapod's in general is one of those evolutions that has a strong impact due to the care Ash had for it. His character development was par with the first episode in that he admits to his foolish mistakes, an important step as a trainer to gain the love and trust of his Pokémon. Metapod's evolution has to be one of the more unique ones as it just gets a hole ripped into it, and it was all ready to evolve and emerge. Not that the Kakuna didn't do the same thing, but they didn't have outside help. While it's not exactly a trauma, I thought Metapod was going to die from getting a hole ripped into it, and that is why Butterfree's evolution is so memorable to me. The two episodes between Caterpie and Butterfree is also a nice touch to show how fast it takes for Bug Pokémon to grow, a little bit of detail that adds uniqueness to this world.

    (Speaking of attention to detail, the tidbit of the Beedrill sleeping with needles under their heads was funny, even though they dropped from the sky, so perhaps they curled up like that when they landed.)

    The episode's pacing was a bit “meh” given the time constraint (I feel like we could've seen Viridian Forest more), but the conflict was fitting enough and character/plot-driven to prevent it from being completely filler. So with a promise that is in (harsh) hindsight broken—Samurai may never return on-screen ever again—Ash heads to Pewter City and to one of my personal favorite episodes of my childhood.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

  13. #113
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    399

    Talking

    I didn't like this episode as much as the previous 3 mostly because of Samurai but it was still pretty good. What I don't get is why did Ash have to learn the lesson when it wasn't his fault?

    Good parts: The realistic evolution scene and the Ash vs. Samurai battle.

    I can't believe they could say "Crap"!
    So much credit to Sworn Metalhead for the banner!

  14. #114
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Exploring Hoenn
    Posts
    1,592

    Default

    Okay, I guess I was wrong. Metapod's evolution to Butterfree has to be the most real/unique looking evolution. (Just watch, there's going to be tons more that look this real in future episodes.)
    Even though I was watching this episode in english, I still liked how the name plate on Ash's sleeping bag said "Satoshi".

    Metapod vs. Metapod: Truly the greatest battle ever in the show!
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * * * * *
    * - Going mega


    Claimed by me!

  15. #115

    Default

    I'm so glad that the Metapod battle took place. It feels like such a fan fiction thing, but I just love the moments where Pokemon visualizes those moments in the game that are so silly like a Harden on Harden battle!
    Someone once told me that Misty's cameos in Advanced Generation help make it easier knowing that she is no longer a series regular. They couldn't have been more wrong. After she leaves behind Togepi she returns to her gym more alone than ever AND ON TOP OF THAT, her last cameo was in 2005. 2005!?!?!? ITS BEEN TEN YEARS SINCE ONE OF THE CAST WHO STARTED THE SHOW WAS ACTUALLY ON THE SHOW!?!?

    Why do we even watch Pokemon anymore

  16. #116
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,004

    Default

    I remember being terrified of those wild Kakuna; there was just something eerie about them hanging from trees while their eyes glinted maliciously. Those Beedrill were just as creepy, but I thought the Weedle were cute when they ate TR's cardboard box. I also liked seeing Ash's Metapod evolve so quickly.

  17. #117

    Default

    I thought Samurai was one of the more interesting Characters in the show that had a single episode. And the Metapod vs. Metapod battle was funny.

  18. #118
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Lysandre's bed.
    Posts
    48,004

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheJLeeTeam View Post
    I thought Samurai was one of the more interesting Characters in the show that had a single episode. And the Metapod vs. Metapod battle was funny.
    I disagree. He was pretty basic for the first COTD in my opinion and I personally felt that Metapod vs. Metapod was pointless. I actually preferred seeing Pinsir vs. Metapod even if it was a short battle.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •