Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Showdown in Pewter City (005)

Hybrid View

Default Showdown in Pewter City (005)

Showdown in Pewter City!

Ash Arrives in Pewter City and decides to battle at the gym and loses miserably first time round. So Ash must train Pikachu so he can beat Brock's Pokémon. Can he do it?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss

Dexie Guest

This was a great episode.....it was a good way to introduce Brock into the series.

Too bad it was the first of the 'You didn't win, take the badge anyway' episodes. >>

Jade Mage Guest

I really wished that Ash would earn more badges in Kanto. :|

And The whole "OMG your pikachu is so strong it can beat ground types" thing has always bothered me. :|

Waterstar Misty Guest

This was a nice way to meet Brock for the first time, getting to learn about all his brothers and sisters was nice. Having Brock come along with Ash was really good cuz, I think without Brock, I wonder how Ash and co would eat and who would heal their pokemon.

Factory Head Noland Guest

When Brock first appeared he seemed really nasty and serious.

Lets face it, Ash didn't have a chance of winning this battle. Pikachu, Pidgeotto and Butterfree...none of them were good for this battle.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokemonisgr8
    Lets face it, Ash didn't have a chance of winning this battle. Pikachu, Pidgeotto and Butterfree...none of them were good for this battle.
    Butterfree could have helped. My Yellow version Butterfree took out Brock's Geodude in one hit with a Confusion attack, and probably would have made short work of Onix (if I hadn't swapped to Mankey and Low Kicked Onix to death). But then, had the writers gone with that, it would have made it too easy for Ash.

While reading the episode comparisons on Dogasu's website, I found a rather interesting tidbit about this episode - turns out there's an homage to "Fushigi Yuugi" towards the end, in that scene where all Brock's siblings are hanging off of Ash trying to stop him from instructing Pikachu to knock out Onix. A rather clever in-joke, I thought.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

This was a decent episode. Learning Brock's history was cool. And, Pikachu's powerup was great. I loved it. Also, the sprinklers thing was good, as it gave an excuse for Onix to be hit by an Electric attack.

Overall rating:
    7.7 out of 10!
    Not the best Gym Epsiode ever, especially since it was a badge that wasn't given in the traditional way.

SC~ out
    Last edited by ≈*Virulent Tsunami*≈; 16th January 2005 at 7:02 PM.
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse GS the II
    Butterfree could have helped. My Yellow version Butterfree took out Brock's Geodude in one hit with a Confusion attack, and probably would have made short work of Onix (if I hadn't swapped to Mankey and Low Kicked Onix to death). But then, had the writers gone with that, it would have made it too easy for Ash.

While reading the episode comparisons on Dogasu's website, I found a rather interesting tidbit about this episode - turns out there's an homage to "Fushigi Yuugi" towards the end, in that scene where all Brock's siblings are hanging off of Ash trying to stop him from instructing Pikachu to knock out Onix. A rather clever in-joke, I thought.
    Butterfree could've also used Sleep Powder, but technically if your referring to the games, Butterfree doesn't learn it instantaneously as soon as it involves from Metapod unlike with confusion, but I don't recall him ever using it(confusion that is) - hmm shame, it's one of Butterfree's better attacks.

And no I don't ge the in-joke - who' or what's Fushigi Yuugi here?

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter007
    And no I don't ge the in-joke - who' or what's Fushigi Yuugi here?
    The explination can be found here.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

The twins only eat cold spaghetti for breakfast, if I'm correct.

Ah, I dunno what to say. Oh yeah, I don't like how they say that Electric doesn't affect Rock types. Man, Electric doesn't affect Ground type.

Is this the first episode where they mention that water conducts electricity? They really don't have to repeat it so often.

Brock's family is cool.

8/10
    Yeah!

Haruka-chan Guest

Ah, I remember this episode... Flint taught Ash how to cheat o_O; Seriously though, Pikachu got powered up without training, they just shoved the electricity from the power plant into him o.O;

And I agree with the person that said Ash couldn't have won anyway, Flying and Bug types are weak against Rock, and Electric types do almost no damage. (except for Geodude, of course ^_^)

Ryuu Guest

Oh yeah, wasn't this was the one where Pikachu made toast out of Geodude? XD

And Onix lost because the sprinklers were turned on. Plus we got to know about Brock's family.

Heh, Flint did help Ash a lot by powering up Pikachu.

Sekushii Guest

Ah, I love this episode and all of Brock's little brothers and sisters.

Ahh... Brock and the 1st gym. Good times. Good times.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

Takuto Guest

I think this episode was a very good one.Even though I didn't like the way it turned out.I was surprised Brock joined Ash.At the beggining I thought he was going to travel alone like in the games.

Ah...Brock is my favorite character (next to Ash), and this was a nice way to introduce him.

Too bad he didn't start going goo-goo eyes for girls until a few episodes later...

vulpix Guest

wow the first episode we meat good old Brock.

Hey, he did get quite a bit of character development with his family in this episode. It's too bad we don't hear about them again for a good long time.
    Anyway, a great introductory episode to one of my favorite characters.

There's a minor blooper in this episode: Flint said Brock has 10 brothers and sisters, right? Wrong. I was looking at a film comic of this episode, and I counted the siblings who were all together in the kitchen. Brock has 9 little brothers and sisters! How'd they come up with 10?! If you have a tape/DVD of the episode, press the pause button when all the kids are in view and count them, or check out the film comic.

DeviantART Studio Jupiter (TBA)

This episode was good but not the best IMO. I really liked how Pikachu trained himself in that generator thingy.

Post Types not respected

About this episode, I have to say I like the special training of Pikachu very original, but - an electric PKMN defeating two rock/ground types it's really stupied. The Pewter Gym it's awsome with all of rocks...

I love this episode, lots of drama with the Pikachu vs Onix thing. The part where Brock's father revealed himself was marvelous, I miss that intelligent writting. Overall a great episode, very emotional. The writers should rewatch this season.

ˇTiptug, the generic bug!HERE

Default Nice early ep

This ep is inherently important as Brock's first appearance. But it's still a pretty good early ep on its own. It's a little odd for the sprinkler system to count as fair fighting though, and it's weird that TR has almost no airtime. Oh, well. And I gotta point out that this ep is notable for one other thing: It has the best fanservice shot of Misty's rear in the whole series. ( Right after Misty says "There's no way you'll beat Brock in the Pewter City Gym. Hmf." )

Default picture

Someone was nice enough to post a scan from that cool scene in this ep here

Only bad thing about this episode is Brock just giving Ash the badge!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast