Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Showdown in Pewter City (005)

that onix sure was a brute, he almost squished pikachy there
    9/10, it was a good episode.

Only bad thing about this episode is Brock just giving Ash the badge!

Brock has to look after 9 children, that must be a handful!
    Last edited by hydrojames; 30th July 2008 at 1:49 PM.

Oh, I loved this episode! I felt bad for Pikachu being practically squeezed to death by Onix... and it was so cool how Ash climbed that water wheel to boost its electricity...

Favorite moment was when Brock said, "Your Pikachu is in its cutest stage... it can't win." Heh, Pikachu was really shy back then, wasn't it?
    lord freeza i really need to use the space skype

I think it would have been cool if he had won in some other way, instead of pulling off the electric attacks affecting ground pokemon. Even when wet, it shouldn't have worked. But that's watter under the bridge. Meeting Brock for the first time was cool. Hearing his story was cool, espically after hearing that his mom was dead, and then meeting her years latter.

Ah, the debut of Brock...He really was a lot different in his first appearance. His character has a much more serious and intimidating nature in this episode. Brock probably just lightened up as he traveled with Ash. I guess when you're a gym leader, you try to stay as strong and intimidating as possible.

This was a good episode. A part I particularly liked was when Ash refuses to accept Misty's offer to let him borrow some of her water Pokemon; this reminds me of when my friend was trying to beat the Pokemon League and I offered to let him borrow my level 100 Empoleon. He told me that he'd rather do it with his own Pokemon, and that reminded me so much of this episode.

I usually don't like it when gym leaders just hand the badge over to Ash without really defeating the Pokemon, but this one I don't mind so much. I mean, if you think about it, Ash took what was happening into his advantage. He was thinking on his feet.

The major problem I have with this episode, however, was the in the dub when they said Brock's mom died. And then years later, she appears well and alive, confusing many American fans of the show.

I found it really unbelievable that Pikachu could beat Brock.
    70% of the Serebii population uses ultra powerful legendaries (also known as ubers) in their teams.
    If you are one of the 30% that thinks outside the box and doesn't use ubers, copy and paste
    this into your signature! (Started by SapphireL)

I love this episode. I hate how Pikachu can defeat ground Pokemon and how he got a badge for no reason but meh. Good episode.

What you love of mine is always yours.
    Animated by me.
    Wife ~ Daughter ~ Pair ~ Twin ~ Claim

Quote Originally Posted by Igottapoo View Post
    I love this episode. I hate how Pikachu can defeat ground Pokemon and how he got a badge for no reason but meh. Good episode.
    I wouldn't say that he got it for no reason. Yes, this was the first in the long Kanto-based line of what have been affectionately dubbed Ash's "pity badges", but in this instance it didn't really bother me. The Gym Battles are as much a test of the trainer's character as they are the strength of their pokemon, and I think that Ash demonstrated here that he had what it takes to be a noble and pure-hearted trainer, through refusing to win by unfair means, and also showing consideration for the pokemon of both parties. Maybe by the time we got to Celadon City and the writers were still trying to manufacture methods for Ash to receive a badge without actually having to defeat his opponent in battle, it was getting a little tiresome. Here, I thought that it was quite a sweet and valuable little sentiment, one which set Ash (and Brock) up quite nicely for the road ahead.

The episode itself is probably one of my favourites of the early episodes. It was a good introduction to Brock, who happens to my favourite of Ash's posse, illustrating both his prowess as a trainer, and his kind and brotherly side as a character. True, the dub messed up big time with that "Brock's poor mother has passed away" amendment - which, as we all know, would later come back to kick them in the butt big time by the time "Chronicles" rolled around - but back in the height of my Poke-fandom, this had yet to be proven an issue. Also, as much as I love Team Rocket, I did appreciate how this episode managed to keep their input to a minimum - they didn't naturally fit into the main narrative, and it's good that the episode didn't try to force them regardless, with a lame, distracting attempt to steal Brock's pokemon, or whatnot. Later episodes could've learned a lot from this one in that regard.
    Last edited by Raikipper; 12th January 2009 at 5:11 PM.

Now this is what Team rocket should always be! A little comedy scene at the beginning of the show would be perfect for every episode. I would like them so much more if they were always like this.... too bad that won't happen.
    Anyway, another thing I like about this episode is the way brock battles. Even before the episode he was cool, attempting to smash Ash with giant bolders. Why couldn't Roark do that?
    I didn't mind this pity badge that much, but 1 was enough. He didn't need more.
    Current Pearl team~
    Inferno Lv. 21 Talon Lv. 21 Chuck Lv. 21
    Pikachu Lv. 20

If Ash had done a bit of research on the gym before making his challenge he would have known that Pikachu would have little to no chance of winning.

In my opinion he should have taken Misty up on her offer, when she said he could borrow one of her water Pokemon.

Credit to Mr. Joker for the Glee banner
    Credit to Skiyomi for the lovely Blue Snover banner

If anyone is interested in a custom ribbon for your profile pic, be sure to check out Ayra's sprite thread in the fanart section, if you want to take a look at her work have a look at my profile.

I like it, Brock is a good gymleader and he really do take care for his brothers and sisters there...same for his pokemon
    >>PLEASE DO NOT PM ME, MY 3DS FRIEND LIST IS FULL!<<

I still can't believe that brock left all his brother and sister for traveling throughout the world with someone he didn't know 3 hours before.

Brock was a good gymleader, kinda sad that his dad leave Brock alone with his brothers and sisters. It was funny to see when, the father of Brock came back and Brock give him a list about his brothers and sisters XD

Ahhhh, definitely refreshing to see the good ole' naive Ash; where he actually believed that he could beat Brock with an Electric type & 2 Flying types. I think it would've been interesting if Ash would've caught a Mankey before he went to the Viridian Forest. But, then again, you don't really hear of many beginning trainers in the Anime catching a wild Mankey as their first Pokemon.
    Looking back, I'm thankful that Brock joined up with the team because it would've been weird with just Ash & Misty...

I give this episode a:
    5.1/10
    Last edited by glowing_light010; 5th September 2009 at 10:02 PM.
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2gsg6iq.png[/IMG]

I like how Misty offered to help Ash but he refused it...

Awesome episode with Ash losing and getting a rematch in the same episode. I did enjoy Flint's training method because it was silly

Glad Brock joined Ash, 10/10

Brock joining to Ash was actually the biggest thing that happened in this ep.

The gym battle wasn't good enough. Onix lost but not in a real battle.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

brock was so cool in this episode after that he became funny i liked how brocks dad just watches from afar
    Born to Battle,
    Born to Compete,
    Born to Win It All

Isn't it amusing how so many people quote this episode as the example of how Ash cheats, yet almost none of them actually seem to remember the "little" details, like Ash losing to Brock at first because of the type disadvantage, Ash having to supercharge Pikachu (to the point that unfocused attacks caused fires) to even be able to damage Geodude, how even with the supercharge Pikachu was too scared to even fight Onix, and how the sprinklers turned on because of the fires and not Pikachu's attacks.

Oh, and we can't forget how so many people forget that Ash did not accept his victory.
    MK Wii FC: 4125-3565-2043

98% of teenagers cannot perform basic math. If you're one of the 7% who can, copy and paste this into your sig.

I hack pokemon with my AR. Don't like it? Tough.

FFIII DS sucks, and MMX6 sucks even more, but MMX7 is just crap.

It is said that when it roars, a volcano erupts somewhere around the globe.

ENTEI embodies the passion of magma. This POKEMON is thought to have been born in the eruption of a volcano. It blasts fire that consumes all it touches.

ENTEI learns Roar at level 15.
    >_<

Quote Originally Posted by Umbreon-dana
    But seriously, I agree with BitchBlast's point from a few posts back.

Quote Originally Posted by BlitzBlast View Post
    Isn't it amusing how so many people quote this episode as the example of how Ash cheats, yet almost none of them actually seem to remember the "little" details, like Ash losing to Brock at first because of the type disadvantage, Ash having to supercharge Pikachu (to the point that unfocused attacks caused fires) to even be able to damage Geodude, how even with the supercharge Pikachu was too scared to even fight Onix, and how the sprinklers turned on because of the fires and not Pikachu's attacks.

Oh, and we can't forget how so many people forget that Ash did not accept his victory.
    People thought Ash cheated? That's funny.

Since it's an anime, I thought most of the rematch battle had to do with anime physics. The fires themselves, caused by accident and not intentionally. The sprinklers activating just because everything was so convenient, not because Ash and Pikachu willed them to.

Quote Originally Posted by The 4th KIRA View Post
    I like how Misty offered to help Ash but he refused it...

Awesome episode with Ash losing and getting a rematch in the same episode. I did enjoy Flint's training method because it was silly

Glad Brock joined Ash, 10/10
    Haha yeah. You don't see a gym loss and a gym rematch in the episodes anymore these days. It's a rare commodity.

The rematch battle was kinda of a cheap shop for rock type Pokemon.Pikachu only won because he shocked the water springlers.It was a good idea for this episode.

8.5/10

there's no Battle Frontier?!

Major Events:

BROCK DEBUTS!!!!

excuse my yelling but the second greatest protagonist in the anime makes his debut here as the gym leader - It makes me wish that brock continued to be a great pokemon trainer

We see the very first gym battle and how suitable that it is against ash's best friend. The gym battle was the first so can't fault it too much. We see our very first example of Ash winning a major battle by usuing his head and the environment and going against the games via the sprinklers

Flint and the kiddies make their debuts

Pikachu learns thunderbolt - possibly one of the most used moves in the history of the pokemon anime

Brock joins the party

Ash:
    Pikachu
    Butterfree
    Pidgeotto

Misty(shown):
    Goldeen

Brock:
    Onix
    Geodude

Credit goes to the very talented Skiyomi for this awesome Banner!!!!

I claimed Palpitoad.....yay???

Brock was an awesome gym leader. Real bad@zz.

So I have a question. In this episode if I remember correctly, Brock says his mother died. Well, I heard somewhere that she reappears later in the anime? Is this true? o.O
    Been Playing Poke'mon Since Red and Blue!
    Poke'Experts! UNITE!
    (If you are a Poke'Expert Copy this to ur sig) ^-^

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast