Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Water Flowers of Cerulean City! (007)

Default The Water Flowers of Cerulean City! (007)

The Water Flowers of Cerulean City!

When Ash & Brock enter Cerulean City, Misty is no where to be seen so Ash decides to take on the gym. However the leaders do not wish to battle. Suddenly Misty turns up and says she will battle Ash. Will she win?

Visit The Episode Guide

Discuss
    Last edited by Murgatroyd; 23rd October 2004 at 7:02 PM. Reason: Fixed title. In the episode, it's two words, not one.

Blue,Too? Guest

Well, since the Cerulean City gym is my favorite gym, I really like this episode. We find out that Misty has sisters and that she is a gym leader. And we get to see a battle between Ash and Misty (which we don't get to experience again until very later on). Too bad Team Rocket had to interfere. That and the fact that they gave Ash the Cascade Badge for no real reason is why I don't like this episode as much as I could. But its still a great episode

I give this eppie a 9/10. I would give it a 10/10 if it wasn't for the two things I mentioned above.

Factory Head Noland Guest

I really like this Gym Battle, especially when Pidgeotto uses gust and Starmie flies into the doors.
    From this ep we know that Gary has a Cascade Badge.

magicpizzadust Guest

I love it, I love it, I love it!
    Its my favorite episode of the first season! Staryu & Starmie are introduced!
    I have it on tape, and I memorized some of the lines.
    "Daisy, if you don't wanna battle him I will!"
    "Dive under then up!"
    "Staryu! Wash it off!"
    And the sound Butterfree makes when Staryu knocks it in the water, its classic.

Magi of all Guest

I always wondered where Brock went in this episode. But look, 2 gym battles in 3 episodes. In Jhoto, it took like 20 episodes to get to violet gym

Mistystar89 Guest

I loved this episode! It was awesome! The battle was great and I wish they finished it. Misty's moment's were funny XD

The FIRST pokemon episode I ever seen. I was so glad I thought it was super cool it being a gym match... too bad team rocket had to ruin it.. I really would have liked to seen who would have won. Oh well Butterfree ROCKS!!!

The Eh No Make Li'Dat Crew
    Crew|Notepad|PC|DT

Gryphon Turboclaw Guest

Angry

Here's a reality check for anyone and everyone that seriously thinks Ash only got this badge due to pity:

I also have the tape, and it's pretty clear that Ash earned that Cascade Badge(no matter how much Misty and her fans whine about it). Two things Daisy stated to Misty should help clarify this(both in the same sentence):

"Pikachu was the one that, like, saved us all, and if Ash had used Pikachu from the start, there was no way that your water pokemon could have won."

Also consider that Pikachu was *ordered* by Ash to blow away TR, and it was ultimately Ash himself that stopped their machine. On top of *that*, Ash had gotten ahead of Misty 1-0 in their match. (Butterfree being recalled *before* Misty's Staryu could finish it off, Staryu getting recalled when Ash sent out Pidgeotto, and her Stamie getting the same treatment from Pidgeotto that     Spoiler:
    !) Since Misty's strongest pokemon---Starmie---had just been Whirlwinded out of commission by a still-raring-to-go Pidgeotto, she would have been forced to use her Staryu---this was 2vs2---against an opponent who was now wise to her tactics. Even if---and that's a *huge* if---Pidgeotto had eventually gone down, Staryu would have had to deal with a now-rested Butterfree(who, IIRC, knew some of the same Flying attacks that Pidgeotto had)! The only pity in that scene was for Misty, not for Ash...Daisy knew that Ash would have prevealed, despite her younger sister's sabotage(Misty certainly didn't pass up on the opportunity to use her bond with Ash's Pikachu against Ash himself).

Hales Guest

I barely remember this episode

I think Brock might have gone to get supplies for later, maybe... I mean who knows *shrug*

Misty really annoyed during this episode, especially when Pikachu refused to battle her because he didn't want to... there's no need to gloat about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Turboclaw
    Here's a reality check for anyone and everyone that seriously thinks Ash only got this badge due to pity:

I also have the tape, and it's pretty clear that Ash earned that Cascade Badge(no matter how much Misty and her fans whine about it). Two things Daisy stated to Misty should help clarify this(both in the same sentence):

"Pikachu was the one that, like, saved us all, and if Ash had used Pikachu from the start, there was no way that your water pokemon could have won."

Also consider that Pikachu was *ordered* by Ash to blow away TR, and it was ultimately Ash himself that stopped their machine. On top of *that*, Ash had gotten ahead of Misty 1-0 in their match. (Butterfree being recalled *before* Misty's Staryu could finish it off, Staryu getting recalled when Ash sent out Pidgeotto, and her Stamie getting the same treatment from Pidgeotto that     Spoiler:
    !) Since Misty's strongest pokemon---Starmie---had just been Whirlwinded out of commission by a still-raring-to-go Pidgeotto, she would have been forced to use her Staryu---this was 2vs2---against an opponent who was now wise to her tactics. Even if---and that's a *huge* if---Pidgeotto had eventually gone down, Staryu would have had to deal with a now-rested Butterfree(who, IIRC, knew some of the same Flying attacks that Pidgeotto had)! The only pity in that scene was for Misty, not for Ash...Daisy knew that Ash would have prevealed, despite her younger sister's sabotage(Misty certainly didn't pass up on the opportunity to use her bond with Ash's Pikachu against Ash himself).
    Wow, nice analysis. My opinion of this episode certainly changed after reading that -I guess that, even by the seventh episode, Ash was starting to pick up some good training tactics.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Crystal Latios Guest

Hmmm.... Ash had to use his other pokemon because Pikachu was stubborn.
    I think, Pikachu had a crush on Misty in this episode. He didn`t want to fight with her, he was happy when she won etc. He just adored her.

Excellent points, Gryphon. Another thought:

It seems that a common last name for people to give Misty is Waterflower. It probably comes from this episode, but that's just wrong. Water Flowers is clearly 2 words, not one, so it's obviously not their last name.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryphon Turboclaw

Woah man whats the anger with Misty all about?!

I like your essay there although I would like to correct one thing, when a Pokémon is recalled into it's pokéball, it is normally regarded in the animé as a defeat. I've seen it on numerous occassions where this happens, for example Richie recalling his Charmander during the match against Ash in the Indigo tournament, the titantron screen even showed Richie go down from two pokémon to one, confirming that his Charmander HAD been defeated. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen the same pokémon being recalled out twice before in the animé.

Under that conclusion Misty would have WON the first battle against Ash's Butterfree, why she recalled Staryu I'll never know.

Anyway if Pikachu was used from the start there would of been no contest, Misty's water pokémon aren't the greatest of that particular type. Even Gary's Blastoise would of defeated them all.

On the note about Misty's surname, isn't it Williams?
    Last edited by Sharpshooter; 18th November 2004 at 3:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter_007
    Woah man whats the anger with Misty all about?!

I like your essay there although I would like to correct one thing, when a Pokémon is recalled into it's pokéball, it is normally regarded in the animé as a defeat. I've seen it on numerous occassions where this happens, for example Richie recalling his Charmander during the match against Ash in the Indigo tournament, the titantron screen even showed Richie go down from two pokémon to one, confirming that his Charmander HAD been defeated. Infact, I don't think I've ever seen the same pokémon being recalled out twice before in the animé.

Under that conclusion Misty would have WON the first battle against Ash's Butterfree, why she recalled Staryu I'll never know.

Anyway if Pikachu was used from the start there would of been no contest, Misty's water pokémon aren't the greatest of that particular type. Even Gary's Blastoise would of defeated them all.

On the note about Misty's surname, isn't it Williams?
    No. That's just a fan-made last name, like 'Harrison' for Brock, and 'Morgan' for James. None of them are actually true.

Something's been bugging me for a while - I haven't seen this episode in a few years, so I seem to have forgotten - how do you tell Violet, Lily, and Daisy apart? I can't for the life of me remember who's who.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Trendy_boy87 Guest

daisy is the oldest she has blonde hair
    violet is next she has blue hair
    and then there is lily she has pink hair

Too bad Brock was away. I would've loved to see him in a Gym with three girls in bathing suits^^. Misty would never have been able to pull his ear hard enough to keep him away from them XD.
    I like that tactic where Staryu washes off the Powder. TR's machine was interesting(a rarity >.>), and it would've been somewhat neat to see them pull off their scheme. I agree, magicpizzadust, Butterfree's noise when dunked was priceless XD.

Overall rating:
    6.8 out of 10!!
    Easily one of the lesser Gym Battles, but at least there were some good points to this.

SC~ out
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    No. That's just a fan-made last name, like 'Harrison' for Brock, and 'Morgan' for James. None of them are actually true.
    The MC at Pokemon Rocks America in Seattle said Brock's last name was Harrison.

Nobody mentioned the James quote? "It's times like these that make we want to go straight" That's hilarious. It's like when Meowth indirectly called James a fruit in the Grovyle ep, except this was one might not have been meant in that sense, since James had never crossdressed before this episode.

I thought Misty was annoying in this episode too. Pikachu too. Pikachu was willing to fight Misty in the Totodile episode, though (not Togepi hehe)

Pikachu thought the waterflowers were hot

An o.k. episode in my opinion. Ash would have easily gotten the badge on his own, like in Gryphon Turboclaw's analysis.

8.3/10
    Yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by Psychic Venusaur
    The MC at Pokemon Rocks America in Seattle said Brock's last name was Harrison.

Nobody mentioned the James quote? "It's times like these that make we want to go straight" That's hilarious. It's like when Meowth indirectly called James a fruit in the Grovyle ep, except this was one might not have been meant in that sense, since James had never crossdressed before this episode.

I thought Misty was annoying in this episode too. Pikachu too. Pikachu was willing to fight Misty in the Totodile episode, though (not Togepi hehe)

Pikachu thought the waterflowers were hot

An o.k. episode in my opinion. Ash would have easily gotten the badge on his own, like in Gryphon Turboclaw's analysis.

8.3/10
    The people from Pokemon Rocks America are either under the same delusion as certain people on the Internet, or are taking crack. Harrison is *not* an official name. Neither is James Morgan, or Misty Waterflower.

No Main Characters were given last names, apart from Ash and Tracey in the dub. Ash's last name was most likely given to him to match the lip flaps of 'Satoshi', or something.

Ororo Munroe Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    Ash's last name was most likely given to him to match the lip flaps of 'Satoshi', or something.
    Then why was Tracey given the last name Sketchit? Doesn't Tracey already match the lip flaps of Kenji?

Quote Originally Posted by Togechikku
    Then why was Tracey given the last name Sketchit? Doesn't Tracey already match the lip flaps of Kenji?
    No idea. Hence why I didn't say anything about it. (I actually hoped that nobody would ask. )

Oh! Answer: The dubbers take drugs, thus making them make stupid descions like that.

I wasn't too fond of the way Ash got his badge. It would have been WAY better if he had blasted all of Misty's pokemon away with Pikachu.

Ah well. It was ok though. Probably one of only handful of episodes I liked that revolved around Misty so...

Guess I'll give this... A... 8/10. Yeah a B is good...

I would have put my foot down with Pikachu. I know Misty's a friend, however, it's not like Ash was asking him to kill her Pokemon. Ash needs to learn to the leader of his Pokemon. Maybe if Ash had shown better leadership skills, Charizard would have respected him more.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Geodude
    Excellent points, Gryphon. Another thought:

It seems that a common last name for people to give Misty is Waterflower. It probably comes from this episode, but that's just wrong. Water Flowers is clearly 2 words, not one, so it's obviously not their last name.
    I'll add to this. Back when they wrote this episode title, they were just translating the Japanese titles, not creating their own. "Water Flowers" is probably the best concise English rendition of the corresponding term in the Japanese title. 水中花 (suichuuka, lit. "in-water flower") is a word (not a name) that refers to an artificial flower that opens when placed in water.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    I would have put my foot down with Pikachu. I know Misty's a friend, however, it's not like Ash was asking him to kill her Pokemon. Ash needs to learn to the leader of his Pokemon. Maybe if Ash had shown better leadership skills, Charizard would have respected him more.
    Doesn't matter. Fact was, Pikachu didn't want to do it. Ash couldn't exactly physically force it to battle, and if he did somehow intimidate Pikachu into doing so, it would have probably either lost respect for him or not put its all into the battle. No doubt Ash felt better battling with a fully willing Pidgeotto and Butterfree than a very hesitant Pikachu. I don't know what's so hard to understand about a trainer abiding by his Pokemon's wishes, even when said trainer is still a rookie, which shows that he already has his priorities straight in that respect.

Bulbagarden - The Original Pokemon Community.
    PSN: ShinyGeodude XBL: Shiny Geodude
    Add me and tell me please.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast