Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: The Water Flowers of Cerulean City! (007)

I wish the Ash VS Misty battle went on into the next episode

The shortness of the battle made misty and her pokemon look like pushovers. I also think that Starmie should have had some better moves...

I mean, she's suposed to be a Gym Leader for crying out loud!
    Re-Started Crystal
    Currently training Quilava

Team:

(in-training)
    (Egg)

Strictly old school. Gen I and II are probably the only games i'll ever play

Interesting episode. It was nice seeing battle between Ash and Misty... I liked the part when Ash and Brock met Officer Jenny, too...

im just mad how pikachu refused to battle.... it would have done great. this makes me want to re-watch the episode.
    Ash's team right now

If you think the Sinnoh saga has been the best saga of the whole show, copy and paste this into your signature! (started by FlameRose)

If you deny any sort of existence of Iris's hair, put this into your sig (started by 5ilVer)

Since I have a love for water Pokemon, I liked this episode. Although I wish Ash would've won his battle for real this time instead of under a technicality :/ I did like the Ash/Misty battle though, it gave Misty a chance to show her true potential. I honestly think Misty would've won if Team Rocket didn't interrupt everything in be a nuisance >:/

I give this episode a:
    6.4/10
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2gsg6iq.png[/IMG]

the interesting part about this episode is when ash was checking out the aquarium and he saw REAL LIFE FISH INSTEAD OF FISH POKEMON?!

i'm sure if finneon was around back then, they could have used it instead
    Last edited by porygon69; 27th November 2009 at 6:16 AM.

Fun episode to say the least. Misty's sisters were so graceful; they weren't ones to be battling so I'm glad that job was given to someone else who was a good battler. I liked Misty's battle against Ash since Ash looked to be losing at one point. He would have won if they had a chance to finish though. But TR got in the way...again, and ruined the battle. Grr. 9/10.
    Last edited by Lorde; 9th November 2010 at 1:22 AM.

this is an interesting episode(for me) specially misty vs ash!!

i like it since misty is going to battle up against ash which may thrilled me in watching with it. . .

(it is so cool). . .*smiles*. . .
    If I have any worth, it is to live my LIFE for GOD

|| Multishipper || Red: ShinAya= Kagepro OTP || Inactive ||

Oh yes this episode ^_^, i have seen this episode numerous times and i have the book on that episode to... Somewhere >.>, anyways it was so funny how Misty would get mad at Ash and to see pure ownage in that battle |D. All misty wanted to do was fit in =( Oh well xD

Too bad the Gym battle between Ash and Misty hasn't ended, but it was a great battle.
    I loved also to see Misty's Seel.
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

I always got the feeling that Misty's sisters were supposed to represent those other random 3 trainers that are in her gym in the games . But yeah I think that with Pikachu out of this battle naturally Misty should've won it since her pokemon had more battle experience over Ash's.

Quote Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
    I'm quite surprised no one has yet to talk about the abundance of symbolism in this episode. To me, this episode shows not only what pokemon could have been, but also what how great Misty is and why she deserves to end up with Ash more than the other girls.

The episode began with what appeared to be Misty running from her past/real life in Cerulean City. In fact, she is so adamant about it that, when Ash and Brock continue to ignore her, she leaves the group, at least temporarily.

Once inside the city, while Ash is uncertain as to why Misty left, Brock is repeatedly dropping subtle hints that he knows she's a gym leader in Cerulean and can even see into why Misty doesn't want to come back. This is evident by the scene where Ash asks Brock for advice about the gym leader, Brock mentions that he knows the leader's "special move," but won't tell out of respect. A respect that he has yet to show to any other gym leader that Ash has gone up against. The clincher to this is those golden lines that no one seems to understand. Just before Ash goes to the gym, where Brock knows he'll see Misty, he says:

Brock: "Well... I have some stuff I need to go check out."

Ash: "What stuff?"

Brock: "Just... stuff. See ya later."

Anyone that's hit puberty should have known exactly what Brock was doing. I'll put this from a guy's POV. Guy A and Guy B are hanging out somewhere. Suddenly, Guy B sees Girl 1 walking over to them. Knowing that A and 1 have an unsatisfied romantic interest in each other, what does he do? He says, "Hey, 1, listen. I've got [wink]something I need to do.[/wink] So, I'll see you later."

Arriving at the gym, Ash is treated to a show of three beautiful young women who perform graceful aerobics, receive shouts of praise for their beauty from the audience, and are clearly rich enough to afford an entire aquarium in their home/gym. However, after a quick exchange of dialogue, these three beautiful lasses turn out to be bimbo airheads who use their sex appeal more than their battling skills to get the things they have.

Keep the sex appeal v gym battling skills in mind because here's where the heavy symbolism comes in.

Ash makes an open challenge to any one of them for a battle, which is a process that any "trainer" must go through to earn the ultimate reward from them, a "gym badge." What they tell him is how the other three Pallet trainers already came in, "challenged" them, and won their "gym badges" like it was nothing. Basically, the girls see themselves as so pathetic they are willing to give him a "gym badge" without requiring him to do anything at all.

Don't believe me? Watch it again and pay attention to the blonde sister during this scene.

Blonde sister: (In a seductive voice) "I know what you want." (Holds up badge, which looks an awful lot like a certain part of a female's body) "A cascade badge. This is what you want, right? You can have it."

Ash: (A little taken back) "Thanks... uh... I'd rather earn my badges."

Blonde sister: "Take it. A badge is a badge."

As the music drops to a low tone, Ash reluctantly is ready to accept it and in doing so, give up a lot of the morals that he has held so highly. But, just then, just when Ash is about to accept the easiest "gym badge" he'll ever get from a beautiful girl, Misty takes a stand and stops him (Yay, Misty)! Clearly, she was there this whole time, hidden from sight and fully aware of what was happening. However, it wasn't until right when Ash would have forever shamed himself by taking a "gym badge" so easily does she swallow her pride and say she's a gym leader in Cerulean.

It's here that we see the real reason she didn't want to come back. Yes, she made that vow that she wouldn't return until she was a master water pokemon trainer, but, if it really were as simple as that, she could have just told Ash and Brock and waited for them outside the city. After all, she seems to not care at all about that vow until her sisters put her on the spot for it. In reality, she didn't want to come back because she didn't want Ash to know that she was related to girls who would give up "gym badges" that easily and have him start thinking she was that kind of girl. She was even willing to not let Ash get the badge at all.

However, once she saw that his internal struggle would have wound up with him taking it for nothing, she knew she had to reveal who she was, believing that it was better for him to see her as an "easy gym battle" than for him to actually have the easiest.

But the symbolism doesn't end there, folks. Skipping over some mock dialogue where her sisters state that she and Ash are boyfriend and girlfriend, Misty's first statement upon being in the ring with him are:
    "I wasn't planning on challenging you 'til you payed me back for my bike, but this is as good a time as any! If you want that cascade badge, you're going to have to beat me!" Basically, she's driving it home to Ash that, even though you might get this "gym badge" by defeating me in an actual battle, it still means nothing until you've made amends to me.

Cockily, Ash shoots a generic taunt back at her and turns to Pikachu, believing that, with his help, it will be a piece of cake. However, Pikachu's plans are different, the little yellow rat absolutely refuses to fight. Turning what Ash thinks will be a victory he can just easily power towards into one he honestly has to work at, concentrate on, and give his all through good moments and bad ones.

The fight has them bickering like a couple and TR's vacuum tube that sucks up the water was so full of phallic imagery, it's a wonder how it was aired at all.

Once the fight is over, Brock reappears and asks Ash, "Hey, man, how'd it go?" Which is obvious guy code for: "Did you get any?" Ash replies with flashing the cascade badge and the show ends with him and Misty arguing over if he really deserved it at all.
    1. You have a dirty mind.

2. You do realize that all this analyze doesn't count at all since you're essentially analyzing the watered-down dubbed version over the original Japanese one.

Loved seeing the 1st battle between Ash and Misty, didn't like that they didn't get to finish it though... Buterfree falling in the water was something I never thought I'd see.

40/100

Quote Originally Posted by Sayho1234 View Post
    I always got the feeling that Misty's sisters were supposed to represent those other random 3 trainers that are in her gym in the games .
    Hmm...so which sister represents the speedo-clad male swimmer that you can fight? xD

I never really liked Misty's sisters. They seemed a little mean to me, with how they regarded Misty in this episode. And they're not good Gym Leaders either.

This is the first episode where Brock tries hitting on chicks, right? He gets turned down by Officer Jenny in a second lol.

I find it funny how Brock tells Ash "I gotta do some stuff" and disappears for the rest of the episode.
    Pokémon Black F.C. 1334 7825 1385
    Pokémon Black 2 F.C. 3483 6901 2765

I liked this episode. Cool to see Ash vs Misty and to see Ash win. Brock dissapears half way through the episode 8/10

Yeah. Ash wins the badge because he had Pikachu and he saved the gym, even though he didn't use him in the match (at Pikachu's request).

Also, what was Brock doing? Shopping for supplies, or just staying out of the match because he secretly didn't have faith in Ash, or...? (trying to keep it G/PG-rated)
    He didn't quite develop his hitting-on-girls personality yet (granted, it was only his third episode). The world may never know.

Pity badge and aquarium of non-Pokémon aside, nicely played episode.

I didn't really like this episode. The only part I liked was when Ash got the badge.

This was a fun episode. I enjoyed the Gym Battle, and Team Rocket made a nice appearance. I especially enjoyed Officer Jenny's scene (including her rejecting Brock). xD

Lol I like how Misty's so adamant to not go back home. And we see Brock's first attempt of luuurve at Officer Jenny. o:
    Misty's airhead sisters are such bad Gym Leaders just giving the badge away. Good thing Misty was there to save the day! Also, they say they only have Goldeen but then they call a Seel. =S
    Team Rocket so interrupted what was going to be a great battle. And their plan to steal Pokemon backfired majorly lol. I also think Misty had that match, so it's a shame how Ash gets the badge again. Great episode though. ^^

[IMG]http://i55.*******.com/24ni8gz.png[/IMG]
    Dracaena - Giovanni Rank

0647 - 8370 - 0522

OSL GYM LEADER # 8 - FLYING

Quote Originally Posted by Ivanka View Post
    And we see Brock's first attempt of luuurve at Officer Jenny. o:
    This was when Brock had standard pick-up lines and wouldn't shove it in a girl's face... But he still got outright DENIED lol.
    Misty could be making a semi-permanent appearance in Pokemon X and Y.
    Information leaked that she might appear in the Pokemon Black and White after Rival Destinies or in the following series(the Pokemon x and y series).A guy who works for the pokemon company gave us this information but it is not certain how or if she will even appear.
    Response:
    Quote Originally Posted by yuoke View Post
    My dad's best friend's cousin, john gamefreak, said that he knows a source told him that max will come back on the show and get married to bonnie and they will have kids.
    Sarcasm: A true form of art.

Any Pokeshipper might see a lot in this episode.
    I liked it; funny, realistic, with some action thanks to TR, a nice gym battle with Pikachu being really independent in mind...What else might we be asking? (except the answer to "Where did Takeshi went?"

"I'm a Pokeshipper. You know why? Because I preferred the old Ash and the old Misty rather than the new drawing! Hand-drawing was the best! (Plus, with current technology, they COULD make it like the old ones). And do you know the worst? Everytime I think of how it is now, I just want to cry, because of nostalgia (oh, and because of the opening coming into my head, as well)." ← (Mad)

"I said nostalgia? No, I meant frustration. When I look the very first ep, I love them, but I'm frustrated, knowing I'll never see any other like those. Can't be helped" ← (Psychanalist)

^ A lot of nothing.

I felt that this episode was okay. I wasn't totally into Ash and Misty's battle since I never cared for Misty at that point in the series. I don't know why Team Rocket would want to steal Pokémon in the middle of a battle when at most they'll get two. They really should've targeted a more populous place in the Gym.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

I think I liked this episode a lot because the Cerulean Gym looks really cool. I like the relationship you see with Misty and her sisters, but they make awful Gym Leaders. Glad to see that Misty actually wants to battle Ash and I think she would have surely won seeing as Pikachu didn't want to battle her. But Team Rocket's interference meant that Ash gets yet another undeserved badge.

xxx

Quote Originally Posted by Calamitу View Post
    I think I liked this episode a lot because the Cerulean Gym looks really cool. I like the relationship you see with Misty and her sisters, but they make awful Gym Leaders. Glad to see that Misty actually wants to battle Ash and I think she would have surely won seeing as Pikachu didn't want to battle her. But Team Rocket's interference meant that Ash gets yet another undeserved badge.
    Uh, no. He deserved the badge. Ash was able to take down Starmie easily without Pikachu. The reserves were doing a pretty good job, and when you add the fact that Ash is the better trainer, Ash could still have won.

Quote Originally Posted by Thing View Post
    Uh, no. He deserved the badge. Ash was able to take down Starmie easily without Pikachu. The reserves were doing a pretty good job, and when you add the fact that Ash is the better trainer, Ash could still have won.
    Actually Misty still had Staryu and Goldeen left. Ash only had the Pidgeotto as Pikachu wasn't going against Misty. The battle was never completed which is why I think Ash didn't deserve the badge. Just because he 'may' have won doesn't mean he's deserving of it, seeing as he proved nothing at that point.

xxx

And just because Misty might have won, doesn't mean Ash doesn't deserve the badge. She wouldn't have stood a chance if Pikachu wanted to battle anyway.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast