Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The School of Hard Knocks! (009)

This episode was cool, the battle between Pikachu and Cubone was great, especially Pikachu didn't use any electric attacks.

Mehh...I really didn't care for this episode much. I did think Cubone was really cute & I liked the way it battled, but why the heck did Ash battle it? I thought he learned that mistake back at the Pewter Gym? I guess it just goes to show you that Ash will always be naive.

I give this episode a:
    4.3/10
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2gsg6iq.png[/IMG]

Pikachu was very brave vs Cubon.

i loved how Misty defeated the boy with the Weepinbell, it was great.

9/10
    Wobbuffet and his trainer.(credit: Serebii.net)

@Glowing light010... Yes.. Ten episodes in the animé and you can tell that Ash would still be the same naive, dumb, knucklehead even ten years later! :P

Wow, This is one episode that always kinda sticks in your head, after you think back to the Kanto days.. I'm still left wondering about what the first episode was that I watched.. but this might actually be it.. although I did see the first gymbattle.. but I don't know if that was a rerun or not.. back then here in Holland all eps got mixed up a lot.. and rerunned a lot as well.. One day.. they said that it was the last chance to catch up on the animé starting from PalletTown again.. while they still showed Johto eps as well.. but then.. a couple of months later... I still saw the first Sabrina ep.. *they showed daily here, not weekly )
    Answer to all the bad things in the world: Give up on trying to make everything better. Hence, accepting it for what it is. YOLO! <- Click the link and daw.. -.-

Great episode. I remember watching it first in Spanish lol.

Loved how the students were smarter than Ash and how most outranked him when it came to how many badges they were worth.

Loved the the girl (Giselle) and her Cubone. She still lost to Ash despite being smarter. 7/10

Oh my, any nostalgia creep like myself loves Giselle. That school was great, i remember watching it the first time and thinking how great it was, the simulators, the battles, Giselle, everything. Her Cubone is charming!
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

"She can violate my rights anyday"

Fav. quote from Pokemon:P
    Formerly, Chariking

Lol so true, what a great quote.
    Kotone Lyra is awesome kotto ne?!

Quote Originally Posted by ~-Overheat-~ View Post
    "She can violate my rights anyday"

Fav. quote from Pokemon:P
    Really? I didn't even notice that. It's not something you'd here in Pokemon.

Let me guess, was it Brock who said that? Was he talking about Giselle?

I fell in love with Cubone in this episode. Overall, not that exciting, but I still enjoyed it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQk-QZUDRs

Its about the episode where ash likes a girl for the first time

its kinda funny in a way.

Brock: oh yeah, she can violate my rights (I'm serious, he acually says this)

I'm currently re-watching the entire first season on DVD. I'm currently up to this episode... And it is without a doubt my favorite so far (even topping my previous favorite "Ash Catches a Pokemon").

The humor within the first half of the show is by far the greatest it has ever dished out, and the action in the second half was excellent.

There were also too many funny bits put into the first half of the episode. Some of my favorites included:

- Brock's French Accent
    - Pikachu on the treadmill
    - Ash and Brock drooling over Giselle

Best Quotes:

Misty: *sees picture of Giselle* It's a girl?!
    Ash: Oh yeah, you're right about that.
    Brock: She can violate my rights if- (maybe he was going to say "if you know what I mean")

[^This quote was one of the best ever dished out by the anime, if not the best.]
    ---
    Ash: Here, firewood! Here, firewood!
    ---
    Misty: It's very brave of you to take on all five by yourself.
    *Ash gazes at the gang of boys nervously*
    Misty: I'll be on the sidelines, cheering you on, waiting to drag your carcass away at the end.
    *Ash has a face of complete horror on his face*
    Misty: Show 'em your a man, Ash!
    ---
    Ash: *sees that Misty and Giselle are about to fight* I better do something!
    Brock: *whispers into Ash's ear* Wise Pokemon Trainers never get involved in a cat fight.
    Ash: Huh?

Other Notes:

Giselle was a great character. I wish Ash's early rivals like her reappered in the Pokemon League or something. But, like Samurai and AJ, she just reappears in the Orange Islands opening...for some reason...

The Cubone battle was awesome. It also included one of my favorite music pieces from the anime entitled "I Got a Pokemon". (Youtube Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7j90pHhZgf0)

This episode was a classic. I don't know why most of the thread completely disagrees with me. This just might end up being my favorite episode of Pokemon... ever!

10/10

One more thing:
    Wouldn't it have been great if Ash got to battle characters like Samurai, AJ, and Giselle again in the Pokemon League, instead of just random, unknown characters? The writers definitely should have done that. Anyone agree?

Oh, and I just want to say that I'm doing reviews on many of the Indigo League (Season 1) episodes, so I'll be posting in this area very frequently now.
    Last edited by munchlaxboy; 4th March 2010 at 12:13 AM.

Gisselle is pretty sexy. I never noticed till today lol. I hope they bring her back.

quote ash*

"Each of my pokemon has the power of 2 !"

classic line and a great episode this was a classic IMO, its pretty much one of the last episodes where they were following the original game and not making their own anime agenda, I wish the anime and game would follow each other more often its a shame...

I wish they would air these episodes again on TV indigo league episodes are a classic it is what started it all.

This episode was my very first favorite Pokemon episode of the original season.

I really liked this episode. Ash has really proved type advantage it's not all. Besides, this all ep was focused on that, with Graveler and Misty's Starmie. I'm happy Ash won and there was justice.

I have a question: When Brock is setting everything up in the beginning he puts down some "prune juice" which is obviously an edit, what was it originally?

I have a question: When Brock is setting everything up in the beginning he puts down some "prune juice" which is obviously an edit, what was it originally?

[QUOTE=Lunanight;11013845]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYQk-QZUDRs

Its about the episode where ash likes a girl for the first time
    This will probably never happen again. I think they were trying to test out Ash's emotions for girls. But after Orange Islands, they seemed to not care anymore.

My ideal battle ever!

Loved the Pikachu vs Cubone battle, showed a different side to pokemon battling. Can not stand Giselle though... Great to see Ash put her in her place.

35/100

I have always the part at the beginning where Brock pulls out his tea set to be funny. I guess I thought it was strange for someone to go around carrying tea cups and the like in their backpacks. ;)

I did not really like the Pokemon school they went to in this episode, it seemed really harsh and I disliked how the Joe kid was being bullied by everyone. I also never like Giselle, she was a jerk in the way she treated Ash. I was very glad to see Ash beat her, she really deserved it. :p

This episode in my opinion was great. It was funny when the kid showed them a picture of the girl. Cubone was really cool, I liked the battle it and Pikachu had.

I honestly don't remember this episode from back in the day. Maybe I missed it?

Anyways, this is one of the episodes that I didn't enjoy. Giselle was not a very good COD in my opinion, and I didn't like how the episode incorporated the whole level system into its plot.

Hopefully, the next episode will be as good as the first several were. These past two or so have been awful in comparison.

I couldn't watch this ep when it aired because I wasn't born then so I just saw it and I personaly think that the 1st season was the funniest. Awesome episode!
    [IMG]http://i47.*******.com/2isyqsx.png[/IMG]

I really liked this episode a lot. The 3 striking features of this episode were(IMO):

*The mentioning of pokemon levels.
    *The alternate way to enter pokemon league.
    *Ash blushed for a girl for the first and only time in anime as of this date.

overall 8/10

Credit for the banner goes to T-B0ne27

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast