Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Charmander, the Stray Pokémon (011)

I really liked how Takeshi was the main one who wanted to rescue Hitokage from the storm, which makes me think that perhaps he was meant to capture Hitokage originally. Well, who knows for sure. I just loved seeing Hitokage find a new owner.

Boo. Brock not getting the Charamander was such a sad thing. Then again, he probably wouldn't have done anything with it anyway lol. There weren't many funny moments here and there wasn't a lot of battling either. Oh well.

Yay a Charmander episode! I disliked Damian and felt like he was a jerk. Too bad Brock wasn't the one who captured it.
    ~Sailor Saturn~

What surprised me the most was how 4Kids kept the line about Charmander dying if his flame went out, which was weird since they usually avoided death references.

Quote Originally Posted by _LightMeww_ View Post
    What surprised me the most was how 4Kids kept the line about Charmander dying if his flame went out, which was weird since they usually avoided death references.
    Tbh, I think subjects of death were only taboo to 4Kids when it involved humans. Pokemon dying was okay, though.

I like Damian's accent, but my goodness was he a jerk. I'm happy that Ash caught Charmander here, and I like Team Rocket's bazooka too.

This was a memorable episode. Charmander sure started off a tearjerker of a Pokemon. What on earth happened?

Liked we got a huge display of Team Rocket showing their key difference from other comical villains (at least sometimes). Firstly they can become savvy to past errors, and secondly they can recycle schemes from old episodes with such corrections.

Damien kind of felt like a one note antagonist, an over saturated jerk of the highest order who gloats VERY LOUDLY in public about all the horrid things he does and how much pride he takes in it. He worked to make the plot flow (and I loved Pikachu helping Charmander give him his just deserts, one of his first 'big brother' moments) but he seemed to have zero character but being a big blob of expositioning nastiness. Funny how he sounds like Meowth putting on a bad British accent too. Maddie sure loved that voice in the early episodes, likely why Meowth ended up getting it when she took over as him.

Brock got some good character displays this episode (shame not many others after made him as proactive). One thing i noticed is that when he threatens Damien he sounds completely emotionless in English compared to the Japanese version. Usually I complain about lack of emotion in the dub, but it sort of worked in giving him a very controlled, subdued Batman-like menace towards Damien after the younger two were all set to scream blue murder at him, especially given how more stoic he was early on. "We can handle this like gentlemen or I can punch your teeth in."
    Last edited by DatsRight; 1st April 2017 at 3:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bananarama View Post
    I like Damian's accent, but my goodness was he a jerk.
    Maddie put on her worst fake British accent. I feel like it was her worst acting role in Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by _LightMeww_ View Post
    Given that Hitokage's life being in danger during the storm was such a vital part of the episode and was the most intense moment, the English dub needed to keep the dialogue that mentioned Hitokage's possible death intact. They could've tried sugar-coating it, but that would've ruined the suspense.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567