Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric Shock Showdown! (014)

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Elric
    The moment before Raichu blasts the entire ring to get Pikachu, Surge shouts out "God damn!" XD
    I sometimes wondered if there was swearing in the Japanese version.
    It came from the Lightning American...
    Yeah!

I believe that's the only time there's ever been a swear in the anime. Usually people take some of the words as a bad usage. The most you'll ever get is rarely a "damn." Most of the time, the word "kuso" is used in terms of "darn" or "shoot" rather than "damn."
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

I believe that's the only time there's ever been a swear in the anime. Usually people take some of the words as a bad usage. The most you'll ever get is rarely a "damn." Most of the time, the word "kuso" is used in terms of "darn" or "shoot" rather than "damn."
    Does Kuso have any specific meaning? I've heard it plenty of times. My Japanese teacher last year didn't tell me when I asked.
    Yeah!

Japanese words (like English words) tend to have different meanings to them. As I said in my previous post, they can mean range from "shoot" "darn" "damn", that kinda thing.
    [IMG]http://i52.*******.com/v6t8cg.jpg[/IMG][IMG]http://i54.*******.com/28cec2e.jpg[/IMG]

3DS FC: 3222-6347-6877 | Nintendo Network ID: Tsukento

Literally, kuso refers to excrement. It can be legitimately translated, depending on context, as anything from "feces" to "dung" to "shˇt", or figuratively as any of a number of expressions of frustration.

Bulbagarden | Serebii.net
    Member at both. Mod at both.
    And sick and tired of the Joe-Liam feud.

Thank you for the lesson on how to swear in Japanese.

Anyway, this had to be one of the greatest gym battles ever. It proves the point that if you can't hit your target, power doesn't mean squat.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpshooter
    Agreed. You can't beat a good Kanto gym battle.
    Too bad they hardly ever finished one.
    My new Pokemon Fanfic, "The Prodigy Project" has started.

Read the prologue for the Kanto arc HERE

The first proper chapter will be posted in October, shortly after the release of XY.

vulpix Guest

i can't believe Surge hit on Misty.

MayAsh1987 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vulpix
    i can't believe Surge hit on Misty.
    I know! I was laughing when he did that!

WHOA! TO ME THIS IS ABSOLUTELY THE BEST EPISODE EVER! I love everything in this episode. One of my favorite parts in this episode is when Pikachu begged Ash not to battle at the Pokemon Center, and the Team Rocket Cheer. To me, I think their outfits rocked! Of course the battles, loved the rivalry between Pikachu and Raichu. At one point I remember everything, all the dialogues, the fight in the top of my head. Now I don't since I haven't seen it for a while.

I seen this episode in 3 different languages, English, Spanish, and Japanese. All of them with different sayings. I seen the jap version of this episode and I couldn't stopped laughing of anything what Lt. Surge said. Even though I don't understand japanese I still managed to get the idea, and his english clearly has an accent.

Certainly one of my most favourite episodes out there. I really loved it how Pikachu beat Raichu with Agility. I think it showed us very well that power doesn't mean victory. TR had a good role in this episode as well. I just liked the feel of this episode, Ash beating Surge after being mocked by him. It was very intense.

I watched the episode because I had it on tape. Anyway, I noticed that this episode had a soundtrack unique to it. I don't know if it was dubbed in (in which case it's the best job they've done because I liked it and it fit the scenes well) or if it was in the orginal Japanese.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

To answer an earlier question, Machisu couldn't possibly just speak all English since some attack names can't exactly be properly translated and the Japanese won't have any idea what the hell he's talking about. It was better off leaving him known as the Lightning American by having him throw in English words along with Japanese.

For those still wondering, Machisu spoke a LOT of English phrases here and there. He easily topped the first movie's pirate guy because he threw in so many funny sounding Engrish. Oh yeah, this is also the only episode an actual swear occurs. The moment before Raichu blasts the entire ring to get Pikachu, Surge shouts out "God damn!" XD This is one of the few Kanto episodes that I think is more enjoyable in Japanese rather than in both languages.

Not too sure but correct me if i'm wrong, when i watched Raikou special, the subtitle had either Buson or Bashou(can't remember who) said bas/tard or damn it. So would that be more than one "episode" that had a curse?
    Last edited by That Scary Clefairy; 21st April 2005 at 9:21 PM.

I'm guessing that was just because the fansubbers chose to translate it that way.

Indeed - my fansubbed copy of "Beauty and the Beach" is loaded with curses.

"Showtimoru! God Damn! Unberievabuu!" I tell you, Machisu MADE this episode classic. And Pikachu vs. Raichu = best Kanto gym battle ever. Both the original and the rematch. Proof that Satoshi knows his strategy and can certainly put it to good use when the need arises.

On a final note, Musashi and Kojiru's cheer is hilarious, especially their reactions when Kasumi cheerfully refers to them as the Rocket-Dan as they're retreating. They don't write 'em like this anymore.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

MayAsh1987 Guest

I got something to add though I'm 2 months late. I realized how this many things happened in this only episode that never happened elsewhere.

1. Brock not going to crazy over Nurse Joy. The REAL ONE!!! (I might be wrong)
    2. Pikachu only time battling Raichu.
    3. Surge remains the tallest, only American in this episode.
    4. Surge is the only one who swears and says it in English.
    5. Team Rocket cheering for Ash.
    6. Only time Ash and Pikachu encounters the Thunderstone.
    7. Believe or not, to me Lt. Surge was like a villian in this episode since Team Rocket was on Ash's side.
    8. Also, Surge is the only gym leader who lost his cool and control. (Meaning here how he orders Raichu to destroy the gym. Temper, Temper. Wonder how he would of done in MTV's show Boiling Point?)
    9. Somehow, Raichu and Surge actually got Pikachu convinced to battle.
    10. Pikachu disobeys Ash during the first battle.

Well that's all I could come up with. It just makes this episode more amazing. I have few more things add to my response.

Lt. Surge is one of my favorite all time gym leaders. I grew to like him. He has a nice body to add. What I like most of him is his personality. He was funny and mean which made this episode the cream of the crop, plus Raichu. Raichu is my all time favorite Pokemon. Because of Raichu got me liking this episode.

Rating: 10/10, one of best episode I eva seen!

This episode was my favourite for yonks after I saw it. Totally class. We meet Raichu, we meet a kick-*ss Gym Leader, we see Ash and Pikchu getting thrashed, it was full of Pokéshippy moments (like Ash nearly punching Misty), Pikachu turns down evolution, Team Rocket do that frightening cheer where Jessie's face contorts...

Totally legend. What was the deal with that plank with the Pidgey? He attackes a full-powered Raichu with a small flying type. What did he EXPECT to happen?!

Another interesting fact is that in the previous episode, the Mystery At The Lighthouse, when we see Dragonite it is called the only one of it's species and such. Bill hadn't a clue what it was. Face it, back in the old eps Dragonite WAS a myth. And yet in this ep the Pokédex says that Raichu can shock up to 10,000 volts, "enough to render a Dragonite unconscious".

EDIT: I just remembered my favourite moment in the whole ep! It's when Raichu does thunderbolt, shattering the glass and everything and Pikachu managed to be unaffected, and Surge tells it to do it again! It tries twice, then just has a clueless expression on it's face with a question mark beside it! So cute looking!
    Last edited by Batdude; 2nd August 2005 at 8:42 PM.

I love this episode. T'was the one that gave me my deep hatred of Raichu...

It was interesting watching the episode last night and watching the part where Ash promised Pikachu, and being a total idiot, that he wouldn't end up the same way as the other pokemon, then Pikachu turned his head away in the hospital afterward. Hmm, I never noticed that before.

Anyway, I'm glad this is the first badge that Ash won completely legitimately. It was much more like his later battles- he took advantage of speed, he got no protests that he didn't win, his strategy was admired. Wow, it was like watching a Hoenn gym battle. And speaking of Hoenn, at least Team Rocket's cheers in Hoenn are nowhere near as bizarre as this one is.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) NEW!! 10/11 NEW!! 10/14 NEW!! 10/18 NEW!! 10/19 NEW!! 10/22
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: (Black2, White2); playing X
    On hold: (till 3rd gen remakes)
    To reclaim:

An awesome epi. Raichu was awesome,Pika not wanting to evolve was kool,TR cheering for ash was funny. An all round awesome epi

Friend Code Coming Soon When I Find My DS

"That was really disturbing."
    My favorite line from the episode. Would've made more sense if Pikachu would have used Double Loser [Team] instead of Agility though.
    LATIAS>LATIOS, LATIAS>YOU, GOLEM>LATIAS
    I'm getting so freaking annoyed of all the LOL LOOK I CAN EDIT MT TEXtXORS freaks I am leaving for a while. don't except to see me for some time. BTW why do you even have show signatures on?

Magikarp is good.
    CLONING POKEMON OR ITEMS IS CHEATING.

OMG, I really loved this episode. This episode got me so turned on Pokemon when I was kid back then. I managed to find this episode and download it because this one is one of my favorite childhood memory episodes.

To this day, so far Pikachu kept his promise for not envolving, but then again its still potential, because the writers are screwing Ash's past a bit. And also this episode marks Ash's first real win!

The gym leader himself, Surge scared me a bit when I was younger because he was so huge, I always wondered how tall he is. My predictions could be close to 7 foot, but no one knows. But he is the only gym leader from U.S., so its national pride baby! But he was the most funniest character I ever seen. It makes so true how blonds with muscles can't mix too well, and it been kinda proven if anyone since that IQ game show back a few years ago. But I loved his personality, and I loved how he treats women. You don't see everyday where he hugs his challengers. But I just loved him.

But the episode itself, it teaches that anything is possible. Pikachu had its odds against him against a Raichu, but he still did it! (I wish they made Pikachu battled with a high level experienced Raichu somewhere later.) It teaches also that the little people could always through. (yes I consider myself short.) It has so many lessons in it.

But this episode marks a memorable part in Pokemon since Ash won by skill, and Pikachu never want to envolve.

is there any tread with images of the first episode
    cause i realy like the episode when he gets pikachu
    if you now where get it give me the link plz!
    *thnx in advanced*
    × Mse Ownage ×

Was know As ;;
    Charizardblaster...

Good episode. Lt. Surge is cool.

Great episode, this is the first epic battle of the series. I love how pikachu was not only strategizing by following ash, but thinking on it's feet and figuring out the field to it's advantage.

I also love how pikachu refused to evolve, I was bugged by it in the beggining because I wanted Ash to have uber powerful pokes, but I'm glad he didn't do it. Team rocket cheering was out of character, but oddly fitting.

One part bugged me though, how did Raichi hit pikachu with TWO thundershocks, a thunder punch, a megakick, and yet pikachu still had the energy to go on. THEN raichu faints from pikachu just attacking his stomach once. I mean I know it was tired after all the energy it used, but it has better defenses than pikachu, it should've had more staying power than it.

Diamond FC: 3479 9045 6745
    Name: Ujjay

Shinies:
    Swampert, Metapod, Dialga, Azelf

Quote Originally Posted by Ujjay View Post
    One part bugged me though, how did Raichi hit pikachu with TWO thundershocks, a thunder punch, a megakick, and yet pikachu still had the energy to go on. THEN raichu faints from pikachu just attacking his stomach once. I mean I know it was tired after all the energy it used, but it has better defenses than pikachu, it should've had more staying power than it.
    That didn't bother me, but in a way, Surge and Raichu battle about tons a trainers a day, you would think you be exhausted after that many battles naturally. But Pikachu got it dizzy during the match, and running out of electricity is was bloody mercy for Surge and Raichu since I would assume Raichu depends on electricity for its defenses.

My god, I never knew there was an unedited version of this episode. I thought I seen everything until this early morning. But this episode had many scenes alterations and very flashy. I have no idea how these kids did not get sick after watching this one. I nearly threw up watching this episode but it was worth it. But anyone ever see the unedited version, I recommend yous to watch it with the light on or with its day. I made the mistake watching it in the dark and it was not even the full screen.n Very flashy and warning....

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast