Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Electric Shock Showdown! (014)

My favorite part was when the Gym building's windows broke + when Team Rocket cheered secretly for Ash and Pikachu.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonstardust View Post
    when Team Rocket cheered secretly for Ash and Pikachu.
    It seemed so out of character of them from my perspective, tho I did like Jessie's face when she, James and Meowth did their cheer in trench coats hee hee.

Watching this again, I still can't believe how tall they made Matis look in the anime. He was almost twice as tall as Satoshi. The thing that I'll always remember is how Raichu got ravaged by Pikachu's speed. That and how the Rocket-dan supported Satoshi and Pikachu.

This is such a classic episode. It was also the one that truly established Pikachu as the show's mascot for life. Him refusing to evolve proved that he is going to stay as he is through the rest of the series.~

Moderately good Gym episode. Pikachu's refusal to evolve was something to watch, as was its rematch with Raichu. TR cheering on Ash was something to see, too bad they barely ever do that anymore. Also, the explanation of no more moves after evolution was quite good.

Quote Originally Posted by ZilverLox View Post
    TR cheering on Ash was something to see, too bad they barely ever do that anymore.
    They do, though. Granted, not frequently, but we've seen them side with Ash dozens of times. I don't get why they took Pikachu's side here, though. It seemed forced.

Quote Originally Posted by Wednesdayz View Post
    I don't get why they took Pikachu's side here, though. It seemed forced.
    The Rocket-dan felt sympathetic towards Satoshi's Pikachu here because they saw how roughed up he was when Raichu beat him. Since they had been chasing Pikachu for weeks/months, they had gotten attached to him, as odd as it may sound.

Quote Originally Posted by datdimfb View Post
    The Rocket-dan felt sympathetic towards Satoshi's Pikachu here because they saw how roughed up he was when Raichu beat him. Since they had been chasing Pikachu for weeks/months, they had gotten attached to him, as odd as it may sound.
    I think this is pretty much why they ended up not wanting to steal Raichu and sticking with Pikachu. At first I was confused about that, but it sort of makes sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Altaria View Post
    Decent, but disappointed that Pikachu didn't evolve because maybe the writers didn't want Pikachu to evolve that early and make him seem overpowered.
    I think the decision was made because they had decided to make Pikachu the show's mascot, so evolving him would've been a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLeviathan View Post
    I think the decision was made because they had decided to make Pikachu the show's mascot, so evolving him would've been a bad idea.
    Yeah, Pikachu was needed for mascot status, hence why he didn't evolved here. Ash owning Raichu would've been so weird.

This was Ash's coolest Kanto Gym battle I felt. TRio cheering for Pikachu's victory made me happy, but funny how Ash's Dex mentioned a Dragonite right after Ash saw one a few episodes before.

Quote Originally Posted by Alloutℯ View Post
    but funny how Ash's Dex mentioned a Dragonite right after Ash saw one a few episodes before.
    That was an English dub change. Originally, Satoshi's Zukan simply mentioned something along the lines of Raichu's voltage being strong enough to disrupt power grids.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456