Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Island of Giant Pokémon! (017)

I liked how this episode showed the Pokemon talking to one another. It was nice to be able to see what they really think for once.

The giant Pokemon were awesome. At first, I found them a little intimidating because I thought they were real. ^^;

It was quite dramatic near the end. I remember watching the TV very closely to see if the Pokemon would make it into the roller coaster thing without being trampled. I was so realieved when they made it there okay. ^_^

The part where Venusaur, Charizard, and Blastoise were fighting was the best!!!!!
    H E L L O
    L O S E R

This is my favorite episode of the first season because the pokemon has subtitles and it really helps develop their characters

My least favorite of the St. Anne episodes. The island filled with giant mechanical Pokémon was interesting at first but I lost interest soon after the trainers started encountering the giant Pokémon. I liked the segments with the Pokémon just talking to each other with subtitles.

Fighting for real American turtles everywhere. Pro-Turtle since 6/30/13

It was nice to see the Pokémon communicating between themselves. The large robot Pokémon were a bit odd seeing as they kept attacking everyone, but I still liked the episode as a whole. The last part with the roller coaster was one of the better scenes!

xxx

One of my favorite episodes. It was thrilling and definitely fun to watch. I liked how Giovanni was directly involved in the episode too when it came to Team Rocket and how desperate everyone felt because they thought they were on a desert island. It was interesting.
    I'm tired.

The subtitles were awesome, they should've done that in more episodes with Pokemon without trainers! Squirtle with fangs talking about a big scary monster was awesome XD And those giant Pokemon being wrecked seen from that boat at the end was cool! And Bulbasaur denying family just to not have to talk to that big scary Venusaur was funny. All in all, a perfect episode, 10/10.

This episode was really cool!!! I like how they put subtitles when the pokemon talked they should have done that when pikachu was talking to caterpie. TR was funny I laughed when they decided to do their motto over the telephone to Giovanni.
    Last edited by Blessed; 8th February 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Just like everyone else has mentioned, I really liked the subtitles here. I have no idea if it was like that in the Japanese version, but it was clever of 4KIDS to do it here. It was really the earliest known instance of us knowing the thoughts of Pokémon. Bonus points for giving both humans and Pokémon equal screentime, we never did see that again, at least not until Meowth and Pikachu were tied together in a future episode.

Anyhoo, I actually had the book of this episode (remember those episode books?), and I read it a lot. So naturally, I like this episode, despite not seeing it on TV a lot. I'm fairly sure this episode is a homage to something (probably Monster Island or Jurassic Park, maybe Lost World, though that's just a guess). Giovanni's first appearance may have been a couple of episodes prior, but I like his appearance here, since we get to see him yell at the trio, which I think is one of the funniest moments in the show.

The climax of the episode is pretty cool to watch. Ever since then, I always wanted to ride in one of those carts xD. And the ending was a nice twist for kids. I actually believed the Pokémon were real.

So yeah, this is a good episode, worth watching over and over.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

This is one of the greatest classic episode of Pokemon, and also a first. This is the first episode that pokemon has been seperated by their trainers. I loved in fact the subtitles of what the pokemon are saying (except for Meowth because he can talk). Even though they got back to their owners, this is still a great episode 11-10

Haha I love that all the Pokemon were too scared to approach their huge evolutions ;D

This episode was classic and good. Why:

-The equal screening time between humans and Pokémon
    -The adding of subtitles to the dialogue between the Pokémon
    - The humorous conversations.
    - A unique plot ( You don't see in nowadays episodes the protagonists and deuteragonists stuck on an island with giant robotic Pokémon)

I can see both sides of the story and why in some instances, it fell flat on its face. But this episode remains a golden moment in the era of the beginning of the Pokémon anime.

Our heroes find themselves stranded on a Mysterious Island, separated from their beloved Pokemon. How will they escape?

Not a bad episode; I hearing (well, reading) the Pokemon's thoughts. Team Rocket's plan to follow the phone line was actually pretty smart, but they didn't expect a GIANT pikachu to ruin everything. Just one question: Why didn't Ash use Butterfree & Pidgeotto to search for Pikachu and the others?
    † I am a Christian and proud of it! Copy and paste this into your sig if you are too.†

I do like how the subtitles give the Pokémon more obvious personalities beyond "SQUIRTSQUIRTSQUIRRRTLLE!" and what the humans say the 'mons say.

However, I hate how they never did this again (but constantly recycle the "protagonists lose Pokés, Pokés search for trainers, trainers search for Pokés" plot) and that they say that no Pokémon is evil.

Apparantely, because of that ONE line from the season where real animals coexist with Pokémon, Rhydon can be beaten with Thunderbolt if one directs it at the bodily appendage utilised for offence, the Gym Leaders look nothing like they do in the games and Gastly is the strongest Pokémon ever, any evil looking Pokémon (e.g. Deoxys, Houndoom, Darkrai) is automatically made a goody-goody, no matter how nonsensical it is.

Okay, the pokemon talking to each other with subtitles was nice. I wonder why they didn't do that with the DP episode when Pikachu and Piplup were seperated from Ash and Dawn.

But, that is one dangerous theme park if five idiots can destroy it with their imaginations. This is one of my least favorite episode due to it being full of nonsense.

The Pokemon talking to each other was the highlight of this episode for me

How in the world did Goldeen, Staryu, and Starmie get back in their Poke Balls when the gang landed? This was a good episode, I like the happy moments. Haha, when they Pokemon were running to the cart, Koffing would have no problem getting to James, since it can Levitate.

i loved the pokemon talking, and it just made me like bulbosaur even more ^_^
    but did we ever figure out who made the robot pokemon? im assuming giovanni, but its been a while.
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

Quote Originally Posted by ansem the wise View Post
    i loved the pokemon talking, and it just made me like bulbosaur even more ^_^
    but did we ever figure out who made the robot pokemon? im assuming giovanni, but its been a while.
    Yes, it was Giovanni's island.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Kitsune Yoko Kurama View Post
    Yes, it was Giovanni's island.
    Ok, i thought so, and i remember jessie and james calling him. (and making it a collect call XD)
    But i dont remember saying flat out XD
    #AlphaSapphire
    I am one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
    If you have a question about my religion, or wish to discuss my religion, the Bible, or anything related to this topic, feel free to PM or VM me, take a look at the information in my profile or visit our official website.

(How did I not realize I had previously posted in this thread before? Not that it matters, might as well do a "reboot" of my previous post.)

It's the final episode in the St. Anne trilogy before we move on to episodes that don't necessarily have the same “oomph” as these three—in my personal opinion and remembrance. I could be wrong, and I really shouldn't compare them to these past episodes as that would be a bit unfair. But I've had fun with these episodes, so I expect to have fun in future episodes.

Anyway, this episode is another one of my more well-remembered ones, and that is because I actually had the book to this. Remember those books written by Tracey West? Most of you probably do; those who don't aren't missing anything (they weren't bad books, but it's a bit awkward reading them years later because the writing style's a bit simple—which does make it easy for kids to read, so yeah). Well, Island of the Giant Pokémon was one of the books I've had growing up, and it was one of my favorites (next to Team Rocket Blasts Off!, but that's something else entirely). If I remember correctly, the contents of the book were close to the actual episode (nearly word-for-word), though perhaps with a bit more detail. So while I didn't memorize it, I was able to remember the key details of the episode.

Also, this episode is hard to forget about. This must've been a favorite amongst fans for a long while for obvious reasons.

So after the Gyarados attack, we find Ash, Brock and Misty unconscious on a beach, only to find that Ash lost Pikachu and three of his Pokémon. On the other side or elsewhere further down the shore, Jessie and James were woken up by a Krabby grabbing their thighs. (Ouch...) They also learn their Pokémon are missing (and it's here we learn a bit about how they got their Pokémon, which is a bit sweet, to be honest—it's also vastly different in the Japanese version, but I'm not going to bother looking further into it right now, I'm sure it was mentioned earlier in this thread). It's probably just me, but this episode has to be an homage to Lost World or something similar, I don't know. Bulbapedia doesn't seem to mention any homages on its page, so... whatever.

What truly makes this episode hard to forget (outside of the giant Pokémon) is this is the first episode where we see Pokémon really interacting with each other—complete with subtitles (though it's the only time this has happened). One word: awesome. I love this episode already, even though I fell in love with it when I first saw it as a kid. Their personalities really shine in this episode, where even though we got hints of it earlier, we see them more, and thus they get the freedom of having a character. Pikachu defends Ash a lot alongside Charmander who is rather mature (sort of), but he's soft-spoken. I wouldn't say he's the voice of reason (that's probably Pikachu again), but he keeps a cool head about it all. Squirtle in the meantime is so childish, wow XD. He's just cracking jokes all over the place and is such a clown. Meanwhile, Bulbasaur is about as level-headed as Charmander, he's just more cynical about it. He doesn't hesitate to say Ash abandoned them.

Meanwhile, on the opposite end, we got Meowth, Koffing and Ekans. We already know of Meowth's personality, but not so much Ekans and Koffing. Ekans to me comes off as a down-to-earth character who expresses loyalty while also saying some wise choice of words. “Master is Master” is one of them, as well as the instance of Pokémon being inspired by their trainers. According to Ekans, Pokémon aren't bad, but if their trainer is bad, then the Pokémon acts bad because of it. (Meowth seems to straddle that line, according to what he says. Not sure how true it is, though, especially when we watch later episodes.) Koffing doesn't speak much, in the meantime, and when he does, it's kinda... primitive. More-or-less, he just repeats what Ekans says.

The Pokémon finding Blastoise and Venasaur in the morning was great. Squirtle trying to talk to Blastoise by calling him “brother” xD, and then talking about the weather was full of awkward moments, it just added so much to his character. Heh. Meanwhile, Bulbasaur has his reasons for not talking to Venasaur (a bit of an excuse, but it's something) that comes into play later on. “Coward” XD. I actually believe one of my brothers came to really like Squirtle right after this episode, and I can definitely see why.

Now the subtitles aren't always on. According to Bulbapedia, Krabby and Slowpoke get subtitles, but the English dub doesn't do this (far as I know). I personally kinda wish there were subtitles from while they're eating at the booth, but I guess it's for the best. It was a bit of a somber moment where they were probably crying over how they'll never find their masters. They were also getting drunk, so...

Anyway, enough about the Pokémon talking. Other things happened that deserve mentions.

Ash and the gang don't really do much this episode until the climax, sorta. They encounter a mechanical Zapdos, but that's about it. Team Rocket had more to do in this episode such as calling Giovanni, which was great. “But first we must do the introduction.” Woooooow. Why Giovanni didn't yell at them earlier is beyond me, I just know he has to put up with them. Pfft. Though their idea to follow the cable cord was a but weird, it worked, sort of. Them finding giant Pikachu (or Bigachu) was nice, and sometime off-screen, they run into a Kabutops and find the railcar just to end up breaking it xD.

The climax with the railcar is the (next) most memorable part to me. I don't know why, but I love it very much. Though I have to question why it is the railcar has a loop-de-loop, but that made for a great moment where Jessie freaks out. I'm actually also amazed that the railcar could handle that much weight dragging behind it, the physics don't make sense. (Meanwhile, Team Rocket talk about what would happen nonchalantly, almost like a lampshade. Nice.) I do have to laugh a bit because somehow everyone got these animatronics to go berserk. And considering that it was revealed to be Pokémon Land and that it looked like the railcar was part of that tour, if the animatronics are going after the slightest movement... But despite that, Giovanni being revealed to have built Pokémon Land was nice, though what it was for, we'll never know, I guess. (And the brick joke at the end with Slowpoke evolving into Slowbro off-screen. Yup. Just throwing it out there.)

So overall, it was a nice little adventure for the characters and thrills for the audience. I guess they're considered filler, but I doubt it since it introduced Giovanni and a bit more of Team Rocket in general and the cliffhangers were written in a way to make sure the episodes all fit together. But the next episode should be a filler—maybe. It's going to be interesting as it will be a nearly-blind watch for obvious reasons, though I know what I'm getting into.

Maybe.
    Last edited by Kutie Pie; 25th November 2013 at 12:42 AM.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

Quote Originally Posted by Kutie Pie View Post
    Koffing doesn't speak much, in the meantime, and when he does, it's kinda... primitive. More-or-less, he just repeats what Ekans says.
    I was trying tot think of the right word to sue myself to describe the way Koffing (more so than Ekans) was talking. Primitive. That makes a whole lot of sense.

This has to be my favorite episode of the Inidigo League saga for two reasons.
    1.) We actually get to see, with subtitles to boot, what the Pokemon are thinking. This was a really (really, really rare thing to see happen in this show. Why the writers didin't do this in "Cheers On Castaways Isle!" I'll never know...

2.) As a kid, when I, not sure about anybody else, first saw this episode, it was quite a thrill seeing the final evolution of the three Kanto starters. At the time, I thought they were real and actually that big. It was awesome to see large versions of all the Pokemon in this episode, so it doesn't sound like I'm singling out the three Kanto starters.
    Alpha Sapphire Hoenn League champions
    * - Going mega

Claimed by me!

While I appreciated seeing the perspective of the group's Pokemon, I found their interactions with each other to be overrated. I mean I barely learned anything about them and this felt like a wasted opportunity to flesh out Bulbasaur, Charmander and others. Anyway, I thought Jessie and James were hilarious and really shone here.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345