Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tentacool & Tentacruel! (019)

Loved this episode, even though the idea of Tentacruels smashing up buildings does seem a bit drastic. The old lady was also quite extreme and just scary in general. The part where the Meowth was being controlled actually was a bit creeperish. I didn't really like that part!
    Misty catching Horsea was great. ;3 Much better than any of Ash's captures. I also like how Misty was able to connect with the Tentacruel and Tentacool. She was one brave Pokémon girl!

xxx

Misty getting Horsea was so cute, and when it made an ink drawing of Tentacool and Tentacruel as well! And I don't see what's wrong with Tentacool and Tentacruel, they are nice Pokemon, I agree with Misty. Meowth is a great marionette. Cool episode, 9/10.

Pretty much another over-the-top story. You don't see cities getting attacked by a massive Pokémon army anymore. The message of this episode was pretty understandable, but I did annoy myself at the character of the day. I can understand it can be funny, but she was so stupid and ignominious, it became just disgraceful. But I digress because the rest of the episode was really good and I most say that my impression of this S.S Anne arc is really positive.

Excellent episode, Misty could have easily just freaked out and done nothing, but she went out of her way to make sure they would not be injured by Nastina. Despite Ash grabbing her away, Misty sneaks off to the roof of a building on her own and pleads Tentacruel to stop the attack on Porta Vista. She convinces Tentracruel not all humans are like Nastina. Let’s consider the fact that she’s 10 and knows very well she could have easily died if Tentacruel didn’t see her sincerity. All of her pokemon were out rescuing people except for Horsea and she knew Horsea was injured beforehand. Ash and Brock had no idea Misty disappeared in the process and were shocked to find her standing at the top of a building. She saved the entire city from becoming the next Atlantis. This, ladies and gentlemen is why I love Misty.

This episode confused the hell out of me when I was younger because I didn't see the one before it.

Misty's Horsea was pretty cool. Shame no real development happened with it
    Walker Sleepover

Ahh, I liked this episode. I like seeing most of the gang's Pokemon teaming up against the Tentacool and Tentacruel. It was awesome. Especially Starmie and Staryu.

lol @ the topless women.

just bought season one of pokemon and re-watching it for first time in years. First thing I noticed as a 21 year old was the topless women..

Curious now, why is it they banned the episode with James costume but not an episode with Topless women?

...what, these?

They weren't women. They were long-haired, effeminate men. Notice how none of them have figures even remotely suggesting feminine?
    Last edited by BCVM22; 4th May 2013 at 9:14 AM.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

There aint no nudity in pokemon

Some of them are guys yep, but it should be obvious from the hair and facial structure that brunette is a girl

Uh, no. Unequivocally.

Again, if you think that you've stumbled across an almost entirely-naked female in what is a children's series - small differences in what different cultures consider appropriate in such material notwithstanding - and in an episode some sixteen years old at that, I really don't know what to tell you.

They're guys. All of them. This isn't even a discussion.

-----
    Never underestimate the power of stupidity, of the one and of the many.
    Words to|live by

Is anybody bothered that the anime has giant pokemon, like this tentacruel and the dragonite in the episode with Bill, but the games set them to exact heights and weights? I think the anime proves there are many different sized pokemon, such as Ash and Gary's Krabby, but the games ignore this. Just curious, btw I love this episode, classic!
    Home is where the Hoenn is. 7.8/10 #TooMuchWater
    Current AS Team: Badges: 5

<--- Just Some Favs (Besides Mudkipz)

Pokémon X / Alpha Sapphire FC: 3497 - 0519 - 7105
    Electric Friend Safari:

Native Vivillon: Modern

While the previous ban may have been a bit silly since they could've easily edited a couple of scenes out and aired it from the start (yet the airtime for the episode was shorter than it should be), it's a bit justifiable for the time. It being a filler that no one would really miss doesn't hurt (the ending of this episode would make a small callback to the previous episode, but it's easy to handwave). This episode, however, was banned not at first, but shortly after 9/11 for a few years. The reason was because of the destruction of a town that was going on in this episode. I understand the thought of keeping the sensitivity of the tragedy in check to prevent opening wounds, but personally, I don't see how there was a good reason why the episode was temporarily banned. Remember episode 17 where Ekans said there's no such thing as a bad Pokémon—the only reason Tentacool and Tentacruel did what they did was because they were angry at the destruction of their home. The violence was justified, albeit rather harsh; but that helps get the point across, sort of. This was an environmental message, more-or-less, in being courteous of a specific habitat, or you're going to hurt both the inhabitants living there and yourself. If someone wants to build a hotel in the ocean, fine, they just shouldn't destroy a habitat that's currently living there and find a way to make it co-exist.

Isn't that most of the message of Pokémon, in that it is possible for humans and Pokémon to co-exist peacefully?

So the episode picks up where we left Ash and the gang, and they missed a boat off the island. While they're waiting, an injured Horsea shows up to warn them about the impending doom, but the boat explodes before they could decipher the message. The sailors onboard where paralyzed by the Tentacool stings, which was probably a warning by the Tentacool to the humans, mostly Nastina. She lives up to her name to a “T”. Compared to her cousin who was just being a bitch to the old man and taunting him about his rent, she is actually trying to kill Pokémon just because they were interfering with the construction of the hotel situated in the ocean. (I personally have to question how it is 4KIDS never seemed to care that Nastina is surrounded by bishounen males in speedos. Very creepy, if you ask me.) She doesn't seem to have any vendetta against the Tentacool outside of the fact that “they're disgusting”, “inedible”, and “hurting her profits”.

In the meantime, Misty goes out of her way to show she loves Water Pokémon (though she fears Gyarados, but that wasn't explicitly stated until Chronicles) by fawning over Horsea and saying that Tentacool are “cute”. I get where she's coming from, but my reactions are similar to Ash and Brock's when she says that. So this is the episode where we get a bit of character development from Misty—I say “a bit” because the only character development she gets is catching a new team member and realizing she's not that great of a Water Pokémon trainer as she would've liked. How that ties in to her climbing a tall tower to speak to Tentacruel, I don't know.

Speaking of, how does the stun spore make a Tentacool evolve into a giant Tentacruel? Yeah, it's been a while since we had a Pokémon evolve, but still, that's got to be some radioactive stuff. Unless it's a reference to how some real-life jellyfish (notably the lion's mane) can be larger than normal, and even have tentacles a hundred feet-or-so long? Hard to say, but it was that kind of plot convenience (gee, that happens a lot) that allows it to go berserk and destroy the town that would make a Gyarados proud. Or envious. The one thing that confuses me a bit is how they were able to use Meowth to talk to everyone, let alone know he was able to speak the human language. This episode made me think for a while that Tentacool and Tentacruel might have been Psychic, especially since they were shooting laser beams from their jewels which far as I know never happens again in later encounters.

Though according to Bulbapedia, it was reminiscent of a scene from Independence Day where an alien speaks to the humans using a scientist—buuuuut I haven't seen the movie, so I can't say this with great certainty. But also according to Bulbapedia (and I believe a couple other people here), the episode's script was rewritten a bit because of the skip of the previous episode, so in actuality, this episode does indeed reference back to the previous episode. But oh well, what was done here still worked fine anyway. It wasn't like anything important to the actual show's plot itself was removed or changed in the process.

I have to talk about Horsea for a quick moment. It didn't really do much besides try to tell Ash, Misty and Brock about the Tentacool. Guess the only reason Tentacruel smacked it was because it took the side of humans. (Gee, this would sound a bit familiar in the future...) I don't see how Horsea should've been apologized to and thanked for being a hero. Had it actually tried to warn on a bigger scale except shooting ink into the water once in front of Ash and the others, maybe it would've made sense, but otherwise, all it did was just yell at Tentacruel to knock it off. Pikachu and the others were doing more than it.

Oh well, someone has to be the token cute character of the day.

Nastina should've gotten a bit more than what happened to her especially since she was still attacking Tentacruel after it turns it back on the town, but oh well. We never see her again anyway, so we can at least assume she doesn't get her hotel built.

So it's not a bad episode, but it wasn't great, either. It had a nice message and all, but it wasn't full of “oomph”. The destruction of the city was the highlight of the episode to keep it from being nearly forgettable/dull like the previous episode, and that was it. Next episode, however, has a bit more to it that I remember being enjoyable while having a consistent story (for a filler episode), but also mysteriously beautiful.

Though perhaps it's best not to question a few things to keep it that way. Some things just were never explained and probably never will be.
    Winner of Best Pokémon/Pokémon Fic of 2013 in the Shipping Oscars
    Current Chapter: Chapter Ten - 3/17/14 / Current: Requiem I - 11/17/14 - Chapter 21 progress: 66%
    I survived Pupa.

After the part where Meowth was being used as a puppet so Tentacruel could communicate, I kept thinking that there was a more recent episode (I think a Diamond And Pearl episode?) where another Pokemon was using Meowth to communicate with humans.
    Alpha Sapphire planned team

Claimed by me!

Horsea was adorable; it was my favorite Water-type back in OS, so I was happy that it debuted here. It had a lot of potential too. Alas. Anyway, I'm glad Misty was proactive here and that Nastina lady made me furious, and yet I also found her entertaining. Episodes that focus on Pokemon retaliating are always good.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234