Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Scent-Sation (026)

Quote Originally Posted by ChaosMage
    Hilarious. I just wish that the battle could officially end.
    Am I the only person on the forums who actually liked the ending to this episode? >_> Whenever I see people complaining about how Satoshi's badges were 'given' to him in Kanto I feel like they're talking about this one (and probably even more the Sabrina ep).

I couldn't care less whether Satoshi finished his battle with Erika or not, it was a great ending. Satoshi runs out of the burning gym unharmed, carrying Kusaihana safely in his arms, excellent music plays. What's not to like? And it's not like he didn't earn his badge either, he proved that he has a lot of courage and bravery and a great love of pokémon, and Erika thought that was enough reason for him to have it. After all, it's up to the gym leader to decide whether the challanger has earned a badge or not, not the fans.:P

Not to mention in the process of torching the gym, thr Rocket-Dan had one of their best blast-offs to date in my humble opinion. For once it made sense for them to blast off because they had explosives with them (unlike the countless times they've exploded into the stratosphere from simply being shocked with electricity), and instead of being panicked and disorderly, they were calm and in control as they flew off into the night sky, confident that they had secured the secret ingredient to the perfume (which of course didn't turn out all that well XD). The way they animated it was pretty sweet as well, I might add.
    Last edited by Heracross; 15th February 2005 at 1:06 AM.

I loved James's glasses when he was pretending to be Ashley's father. Too funny! The secret ingredient to the perfume was funny, as well, especially when TR opened it^^. Overall, the whole episode was meant to be quite funny, and showcase Gloom IMO. This could've been a good prequel to a real Gym battle, I think. Although, it's a pity that Ash was 'given' his badge AGAIN -.-. I know he earned it and all, but that doesn't stop me from disapproving the whole idea.

Overall rating:
    6.9 out of 10!!
    We've had much better Gym battles. But, the humor aspect of this episode kinda made up for the failure as a Gym Battle.

SC~ out
    Most Recent Works:

Hoenn's Legacy - An epic of the destruction of Hoenn, the rebuilding of it, and the second destruction. War story, rated TV-14 for Violence.

Skitoma - A story of love between two Wurmple unfamiliar with the concept. Rated PG for slight adult themes.

Ficubes made by me.

Someone gave me a keychain once that said "You're depriving some poor village of it's idiot." I thought it was a joke but no one else laughed

I think this is better than Ash winning. It proved he has something that is needed to be a truly great trainer. He has a heart. Too bad Hoenn is so shallow. If it was this deep into what it truly means to be a trainer, maybe it would be better.

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    I think this is better than Ash winning. It proved he has something that is needed to be a truly great trainer. He has a heart. Too bad Hoenn is so shallow. If it was this deep into what it truly means to be a trainer, maybe it would be better.
    ...Ash's goal is to be a Pokemon Master. To achieve this, you seem to have to win one of/all of The Pokemon Leagues. To do this, you must win tough battles. To get the experience for tough battles, you must first experience slightly less tougher battles... the Gym Battles. Ash ain't going to win the Houen League or any other League by saving some random Pokemon, or making the Champion laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfonso
    ...Ash's goal is to be a Pokemon Master. To achieve this, you seem to have to win one of/all of The Pokemon Leagues. To do this, you must win tough battles. To get the experience for tough battles, you must first experience slightly less tougher battles... the Gym Battles. Ash ain't going to win the Houen League or any other League by saving some random Pokemon, or making the Champion laugh.
    *Smacks forehead in utter futility.* I don't believe you. You don't get what I'm saying. It's not only about winning the league. People talk about how the anime is not like the games. Yet they ignore the fact a trainer has to do more than win. Trainer is more than their wins. Ash built character in Kanto. Why can't you understand this?

Don't worry, The Big Al I understand what you're saying and I couldn't agree more. I really couldn't care less about the actual gym battle, I thought this episode was excellent as it is. As I said before, it just wouldn't be the same if he simply defeated Erika and she handed him a badge. That's so formulaic I could vomit.:P

This is why Kanto is better than Hoenn. In Kanto, they buuilt Ash's character. He grew up in Kanto like most pre-teens/teens. In Hoenn, he's either really mature or really dumb (depends on whether they want him to win or not).

I want an episode like this where Ash shows he has the true qualities of great trainer. This wasn't a pity badge. This a badge given because Ash proved he has (had actually) those qualities. So what if your champoin, if you've lost your humanity in the process, is it really a victory.

Like I said, people have a double standard. In battle people say it's not like the games. Yet when some people try to point out that Ash gained the "pity badges" because he had other qualities the gym leader saw as proof he deserved it, these same people complain that these qualities don't win matches.

It's not so much that as people who claim to like Hoenn so much because it's original and has good episode plots, yet complain about this episode when it's both original and has a good plot. They hate episodes that are formulaic and predictable but they want this episode to be formulaic and predictable.
    Last edited by Heracross; 25th February 2005 at 11:37 PM.

Okay, something just crossed my mind. In the dub Jessie and James called ASh Ashly when he was dressed like a girl. What did they call Satoshi in the original Japanese version?

Okay, something just crossed my mind. In the dub Jessie and James called ASh Ashly when he was dressed like a girl. What did they call Satoshi in the original Japanese version?
    I think it was something along the lines of Satoko.
    Of course, I haven't actually seen the episode in japanese, and I'm just judging by the text under a pokesho image, so...meh. :P

Yeah, that's right. I distinctly remember Musashi calling him Satoko-chan. XD
    ~

Okay, I was on another thread talking about Ashly and it has been making me wonder. I want Pokemon 1 Subtitled.

....my favorite part of this ep is the Tangela and the Weepinbell. XD SO CUTE.

But yanno....I wonder if May would have an interest in this gym? I mean, she HAS a Bulbasaur....and she likes girly things...:0

Purrrrrrr.

English Avatarman Guest

This is my first post in pokemon anime so be patient with me!

I thing a better name for this ep wouuld be pokeon scent-station
    imagine having a gym battle turned down just because you don't like perfume!
    and also, how did Erika know TR were trying to find the perfume!
    The nose gag was hillarios though!

She didn't know. However Jessie shoved the vile they nabbed for the world to see. I think Erika would know what she put the gloom oil in.

Expanding out into Celadon City. We didn't get to squat see of it. It's the largest city in the whole region and it gets one episode. No game corner, no TR hideout. Just the gym battle. It deserved much more recognition.

Even -I- have to agree with that. >___> I mean, we should have at least seen the Mansion and the Game Corner. BUT ONOES THAT ARE GAMBLING. I bet it woulda been banned if they did. >__>

Purrrrrrr.

We saw gambling in the episode they introduced Jigglypuff. It's just the writers short changing poor Celadon because it meant too much in the games. Mr. Fuji got screwed over as did the Rock Tunnel. Do the writers even bother to play the games.

Probably not. Kanto WAS a little rushed though. o____o

Purrrrrrr.

Kanto was rushed and Johto and Hoenn were stretched out to the point of absurdity. Two years is a good period to get through a region. That gives us about 100 episodes and should have enough time for all the gyms and side quests but not bury us in pointless unwanted fillers.

I like fillers myself. But only when they involve cute little boys.

Like ZACHARY. <33333334

Purrrrrrr.

Expanding out into Celadon City. We didn't get to squat see of it. It's the largest city in the whole region and it gets one episode. No game corner, no TR hideout. Just the gym battle. It deserved much more recognition.
    I always considered the next two episodes to be a continuation of Tamamushi City. Even though it's given a different name in episode 27, they're still technically in the same city, since they were never shown leaving Tamamushi. The same can be said for episode 28.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    I always considered the next two episodes to be a continuation of Tamamushi City. Even though it's given a different name in episode 27, they're still technically in the same city, since they were never shown leaving Tamamushi. The same can be said for episode 28.
    that what i thought too. think of it like Celdon city as Tokyo, and Hop Hop Hop and other minor places within Celdon City as Shinjuku and other minor place within Tokyo. After all, Kanto represent Japan alot and maybe Celdon city represent Tokyo since both are suppose to be the biggest city.

I'm talking about cannon Celadon though. I means, there's so much crap in that town to do to. There's the game corner, TR's hideout, the mansion, the cafeteria, the hotel. Lots of things they could have made an episode or two out of.

yea that true. they should have done that. then again, they should have done Siloph corp in Saffron too.

English Avatarman Guest

She didn't know. However Jessie shoved the vile they nabbed for the world to see. I think Erika would know what she put the gloom oil in.

Isn't the one in scissor street and the one in the big mansion ontop of the skyscraper in celedon
    also, they missed out Power plant, Seafoam islands, Victory Road and unknown Dungeon!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast