Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Pokémon Scent-Sation (026)

They went to the Seafoam Islands in episodes 68 and 69.
    ~

yes but Seafoam island wasn't an island of ice or has a artic enviroment in it but instead, was another tropical island.

MayAsh1987 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Watson and Flannery Fan
    Isn't the one in scissor street and the one in the big mansion ontop of the skyscraper in celedon
    also, they missed out Power plant, Seafoam islands, Victory Road and unknown Dungeon!
    Shoot, they missed out everything. It's funny though, on Johto and Hoenn they covered the majority of it. They also never did the Team Rocket hideout either in the game corner. I think Kanto was very loosely done when comparing to the games.

Back on this episode. Erika was one of the first gym leaders I seen and liked. (Back then, I hated the guys in the series. I was more on Girl Power! I was 11 or 12. Well today, not anymore, it's almost the opposite.) First episode I recorded too. I remembered long time ago when I didn't get the POkemon series, I thought Ash had to do something to impress her, like he did with Gloom saving the fire.

I thought Ash crossdressing was funny. I loved that part. That proves he'll do whatever he takes to battle. I also found funny with the x's on Ash and Team Rocket's faces was crazy. Its sucks they don't do that anymore.

Erika was cute, I used to laugh the way she and her girls treated Ash as he dissed the perfume. I was fooled how Erika was the manager under the kimono. That took me years to figure that one out.

Overall I liked this one. 8.8 out of 10.

I thought the ornate outline of vines and spinning Glooms would be a dead giveaway. (I wonder why they did that.) *ponders*

Some people don't think it's funny that Exit 69 gets off on Big Beaver.

It's creepy how Ash was more convincing as a girl in "Love at First Flight" at age 13/14 than he was in this episode at age 10. James was also pretty creepy in his old man disguise.

It's also interesting that Team Rocket were the ones who finally got Ash into the gym to battle Erika.
    ;My Shinies: (trevanent) (clauncher) x2 NEW!! 12/10
    Currently hunting/MM'ing: ; playing Y and OR
    To reclaim:

I was thinking. Do you think the gym was changed after the fire. (Hopefully they bothered to install proper fire surpression systems.)

Many of us are hoping Erika will reappear in the Battle Frontier Saga.

I think the reason the anime producers omitted so much from the Kanto region is because, early on, they didn't know how long the series would last, so they hedged their bets and just kinda sped through the first two-thirds of the region. Then when the show's popularity skyrocketed, they started to slow it down a bit (evidenced by that long string of about thirty or so filler episodes between Sekichiku City and Guren Island) so they could make the show last longer.

My DeviantArt

Those Aren't Donuts
    A blog dedicated to all things Pokémon
    ...as long as those things are Japanese.

Though they could have had them come back to Tamamushi for them.

This should have been turned into a two episode arc. At the end of this episode, Erika should allow Ash to battle her again. The next episode should be him in Celadon City, then battling her for the badge. Anyone else agree?

Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. It would be cool if they have a rematch during the Battle Fronteir arc though.
    ~

Quote Originally Posted by Heracross
    Honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way. It would be cool if they have a rematch during the Battle Fronteir arc though.
    Just seeing her again would make me happy.

BrokenDreams Guest

This wasn't a pity bage at all, Ash saved Erikas Gloom that alone is enough to let Ash have the Rainbow badge. So to all you people who think that that this was a pity badge I think your wrong, but that's my opinion. At least Erika could have given Ash a rematch. The only pity badges were from Brock and Sabrina.

Dr. Sun Guest

I just had a few questions about this episode:

1) Would Primeape have refused to obey Ash if he'd sent it out, the way Charmeleon/Charizard would later on?

2) Wouldn't Pidgeotto, a pokemon that had both a type resistance to grass attacks and the ability to blow spore and stench attacks back at their users with Whirlwind, have worked better than Bulbasaur?

All in all, I was rather disappointed. A perfectly good gym match gets ruined by Team Rocket. I want to see Ash kick *** and win battles, dammit! Oh well; at least he won most of his other badges fairly-Brock was all but beaten after Ash (however unintentionally) used the gym's sprinkler system to his advantage, when Brock's snotty siblings got in the way; Pidgeotto probably could have won Ash the Cascade Badge; Ash finished his match with Koga; and Jessie and James cheated at the Viridian Gym, so Ash should have been able to use Pikachu to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Sun
    1) Would Primeape have refused to obey Ash if he'd sent it out, the way Charmeleon/Charizard would later on?
    Most likely it would have tried to beat him up again, as illustrated in his flashback.
    ~

Dr. Sun Guest

Most likely it would have tried to beat him up again, as illustrated in his flashback.
    True enough, but once it was through pounding on him, would it have been ready to pound on Weepinbell, Tangela or Gloom, actually listening to his commands as it did so? It seemed ready enough to fight when it was released in the P-1 Championship matches...

True, but it didn't actually start taking commands from Satoshi until after he broke its fall. Before that it was simply thrashing around rather ineffectively.
    ~

when primeape looked up at ash.....that was real cute

Wrong ep.

I know I've heard a bunch of people complain about how Erika treated Ash in the perfume shop. But walked in with the intention of insult their product. Would you walk onto a car dealership and say cars suck? Ash had a major case of open mouth, insert foot. Though that's what made him funny.

Seriously, he was acting like a jerk, Or, as May would say, a man. But all men don't act that way. Look at Brock, he was swooning over the shopkeeper and Erika...

Quote Originally Posted by chosen_one386
    Seriously, he was acting like a jerk, Or, as May would say, a man. But all men don't act that way. Look at Brock, he was swooning over the shopkeeper and Erika...
    shopkeeper and Erika are one in the same. again

I just noticed something. I was watching this episode on tape and noticed in the beginning when they're showing the skyline, one of the signs says "Purin" (Jigglypuff's Japanese name) with the picture of Purin next to it. Hey 4Kids, you missed one.

Quote Originally Posted by The Big Al
    I just noticed something. I was watching this episode on tape and noticed in the beginning when they're showing the skyline, one of the signs says "Purin" (Jigglypuff's Japanese name) with the picture of Purin next to it. Hey 4Kids, you missed one.
    A skyline? I know that's popular in Japan, but I wouldn't have expected a model car to actually be in pokemon either since the cars that we do see are overly generic and most are jeeps.

At least they made it extremely clear that it was basically the largest (or rather most bustling and busy) city of them all. I did like the initial picture of the group looking high up at the buildings and then the shot of them rotates around. I liked that sort of context more. The height and sizes of the city weren't missed at all.

Gloom was indeed uber, so either it was too obvious that Pikachu would also get stunk up, or there would be some unusual circumstance for Pikachu to make a turn around. Pikachu didn't seem to have any better advantage than Charmander did, and Charmander was in excellent condition before Gloom's spores/gas/toxic hit it.

I forgot if Weepinbell was retreated or defeated (I think it was retreated), but I think Tangela was also retreated too. O_o So I guess they're TKOs instead of unable to battle conditions lol (or rather, knocked out).

I was also under the impression that gyms are actually personally owned. It's just that they have to follow the qualification to be legally used as a gym location for students to train and for challengers to come. Thus, using the Celadon Gym as a perfium store actually seems extremely reasonable.

If I remember correctly, Ash was banned from the store. It was under the perfium context, not the gym context. So it's more like "you can't come in" rather than "gym challenge is not accepted". Ash never got to that point so it didn't seem illegal. The sprinkler system I believe did exist, it's just that it was a freaking explosion (Pewter's case was a small fire spark). If there was an explosion, even a sprinkler system can't reduce that.

It's been a while since seeing this episode. They didn't use much in-game mechanics, despite how many fun things can be done in Celadon City. If I recall, they didn't really go into a department store. I definitely liked Brock's actions. That should have been the Brock trend for girls, not every single encounter of later. So for that context this episode probably had the best display of it.

Then again Celadon City in the game was also important because the "makers of the game" were in that building with the Eevee I believe. Clearly it was important in the game, but something like that couldn't be applied to the anime whatsoever.

So I don't think it fell short.

Quote Originally Posted by S_P
    A skyline? I know that's popular in Japan, but I wouldn't have expected a model car to actually be in pokemon either since the cars that we do see are overly generic and most are jeeps.
    Uh, he meant the skyline of the city - the establishing shot of the episode. Not a vehicle.
    I forgot if Weepinbell was retreated or defeated
    Hitokage defeated it.
    The sprinkler system I believe did exist, it's just that it was a freaking explosion (Pewter's case was a small fire spark). If there was an explosion, even a sprinkler system can't reduce that.
    Still, the building was relatively intact after the explosion, and there was no water anywhere. If they did have sprinklers, then they weren't working.
    If I recall, they didn't really go into a department store.
    Well, Satoshi and the Rocket-dan went to one to get their disguises.
    ~

Uh, he meant the skyline of the city - the establishing shot of the episode. Not a vehicle.
    I definitely never recalled a Japanese vehicle banner anyways. Thanks for correcting me on that.

I suppose the change of clothes had to be at a department store. I only really remember the dressing room (which I forget would have to be in a department store anyways).

My seven year memory span sucks. :\ Thanks for the confirmations.

Yeah, this an awesome episode, one of the best. I love how Jessie and James dressed as "Ashley's" (Lol) parents. It was funny.
    I'm kind of p***ed at Erika for being a sexist.

Bishie: Ray Kon (Beyblade)Couple: RayXMariah (Beyblade)Video Game Song: Metroid Theme Song
    Game: Pokémon Yellow Celeb: Masashi Kishimoto Anime Song:Born to Be (Pokémon)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast